Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marrone said something interesting, although it remains to be seen whether it will be true or not. He said a lot of the teaching in college is done in the spring and that is where a lot of players refine their football skills. Goodwin was always running track in the spring and never attended those practices and so never really was able to reach his full football potential. But they think that they can work with him and he'll be a much better football player.

Apparently he was one the stars of the Senior Bowl practice week, caught everything, ran great routes, really surprised people.

I'm still not thrilled with the pick but I want to see what they do with him.

He looks better than Graham.

I can't help but think that they have a specific role in mind for this guy in the new offense. I wonder if they intend to use him for those end around plays? Between Manuel, Spiller, and this guy, they can get a lot of misdirection going on that will demand some quick decisions from defenders.

Other than that though, I don't like the pick.

Completely different player then Graham, can't even compare the two

I see Bills using him same way Texas did...end arounds, occasional deep ball with lots of motion teams will have to account for which can create a ton of opportunities

Edited by Max997

This ^^^^ But naysayers who havent heard of him hate him because they havent heard of him. Not one guy complaining actually is complaining over something they saw in a game, its over stats they just googled and about who they wanted instead.

I saw him play several times too and I guess it was just coincidence cuz he wowed a bunch of times

I don't disagree that he might be helpful on a few plays a game, particularly on handoffs on the end around. My problem is that he hasn't been productive at WR and didn't even put up particularly good kick return numbers in spite of his obvious speed. I'd have preferred Hugh Thornton (OG) or Quinton Patton (WR) who was productive in college.

I think we needed a couple of wr's from the draft with Nelson and Jones are gone so......watching that highlight reel he looks like he is decent from the back field, I almost think this could work out well. I know we want playmakers, so even if it is a bit of a reach, I am good with it.

TJ Grahm is 6 feet tall. Goodwin is 5'8 and about a buck 70. You got it backwards

Bigger doesn't always mean taller

I don't care what some sites hv him listed at there is no way TJ is 6 ft either

Completely different player then Graham, can't even compare the two

I see Bills using him same way Texas did...end arounds, occasional deep ball with lots of motion teams will have to account for which can create a ton of opportunities

Sounds like Harvin and how the Vikes used him the first two years...

If he turns into a Jacoby Jones I'll be thrilled. After watching the highlight reel I feel a little better about it. He can cause some match-up problems with our speed set out there. I hope we have some plans for G and CB. This could be an exciting team if the coaches live up to the hype and the players can execute.

I have a feeling Buffalo is going to the Super Bowl!! The people they have gotten so far they look like game changers!! I'm exited for this years season!!

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. beating the Patriots twice in one season would be a huge accomplishment! When Lindell kicked that field goal to beat the Pats two years ago, it was as close as we've come to the same feeling as winning the SB as we've had in 13 years! :)

I am somewhat disappointed with this pick. He is clearly very very fast, but didn't do much at Texas either as a WR or a kick returner.

Not sure I see what good his speed is if he doesn't catch passes or return kicks well....

The guy spent his springs running track instead of practicing football. He placed like 10th at the 2012 Olympics in the long jump.

He is going to contribute immediately on special teams as a gunner and as a returner. He also won an award at Texas for blocking. He is a tough kid and quite durable for his size. I think Marrone and Hackett are going to find lot's of ways to use that speed.

Bigger doesn't always mean taller

I don't care what some sites hv him listed at there is no way TJ is 6 ft either

Ok well TJ (who we all know to be tiny) is taller and weighs more. So if those sites exaggerate those stats then I could only imagine how small Goodwin really is

I know it's simplistic, but you can't coach speed. Finger out what to do with this weapon and nobody catches him, except maybe TJ and CJ. Really, if Hackett is even marginally better than his predecessors, he SHOULD be able to get one of them open.

I also agree that it would appear that he's not just a trackster; seems to play with some attitude and ball smarts.

The glass is almost full; I keep refilling it, night after night, year after year.....