Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

I've slept on it and still not on board. This brings us up to 6 WR's if you could Brad Smith and Easley. We have other holes at G, TE, and CB that need to be filled.

Also, no matter how fast he is or if he is Austin 2.0, I don't think these guys will work well in the NFL. Most of their yardage are hand-offs or passes behind the line of scrimmage that they bust into long runs.

Linebackers in the NFL are much faster and I just don't see this translating.

I just can't get on board with any project 3rd round pick who isn't even a proven at his position when we have other needs

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's what I thought, would rather had Ryan Swope who is a bigger version of Welker.

Hey we are the Raiders east baby.

or any other round for that matter.

They gave you rights to post in personnel threads again after the Skelton debacle?

I've slept on it and still not on board. This brings us up to 6 WR's if you could Brad Smith and Easley. We have other holes at G, TE, and CB that need to be filled.

Also, no matter how fast he is or if he is Austin 2.0, I don't think these guys will work well in the NFL. Most of their yardage are hand-offs or passes behind the line of scrimmage that they bust into long runs.

Linebackers in the NFL are much faster and I just don't see this translating.

I just can't get on board with any project 3rd round pick who isn't even a proven at his position when we have other needs

Guys like mike Wallace, and his Pitt replacement Brown, desean Jackson and Steve smith, Santana moss all make plays downfield.....

Has got a good build to him and is no where near Roscoe sized... is fast and made some big plays but the NFL has had so many track guys fail miserably... I hope he pans out though he has a lot of upside..

You could say the same at every position with every body type or skillset. Each guy is an individual case and I'm hearing very little discussion of this player and a ton about other names being proof he will fail.

With Quinton Patton sitting there to me this pick makes no sense what so ever !!!

Patton has a proven track record of being a big time player when it counts , & has great hands. I just don't get their thinking cause the guy they chose at this pick for sure wasn't the BPA ???

Not to mention the fact that we need a TE ...

Go figure ???

Edited by T master

I've been on pain meds and asleep as I got my wisdom teeth out, but wanted to add in my 2 cents about this since I watched him his whole career at Texas.

He primarily lined up as a WR during his time at UT, and made some huge plays. He's about as far opposite of Robert Woods as you can get - not a possession guy, but has elite speed and can make some huge plays.

He was definitely an asset at Texas, although he dropped balls at times. He did some kick returns and end around rushes as well.

I like the pick - two possession outside guys, two speedy inside guys.

They gave you rights to post in personnel threads again after the Skelton debacle?

Guys like mike Wallace, and his Pitt replacement Brown, desean Jackson and Steve smith, Santana moss all make plays downfield.....

You could say the same at every position with every body type or skillset. Each guy is an individual case and I'm hearing very little discussion of this player and a ton about other names being proof he will fail.

Yes, those guys do make plays downfield. This guy shows no past of the same. He's just fast

I like picking up someone with this type of speed, but not with Markus Wheaton still on the board. Wheaton is only a shade slower than Goodwin and was far, far more productive. Goodwin did not even start for Texas. Think about that. They are similar size. I bet the Steelers were very happy with the Bills' choice.

"Productivity" is a subjective word. There have been dozens of "productive" college WRs who have never played a NFL down.

It's possible Goodwin didn't catch many balls simply because Texas didn't have the QB or offense to throw it to him. Thus, his apparent use in the Texas run game.

Edited by Max Fischer

"Productivity" is a subjective word. There have been dozens of "productive" college WRs who have never played an NFL down.

It's possible Goodwin didn't catch many balls simply because Texas didn't have the QB or offense to throw it to him. Thus, his apparent in the Texas run game.

It's a good possibility that much of Texas' offense scheme is installed at spring practice. If Goodwin was running track then, it could very likely be the coaching staff just went with route packages and schemes not designed to take advantage of his skill set--sort of "out of sight, out of mind." Once he rejoined the team in July, the offense was set and he was sort of an afterthought, except for the odd bubble screen or reverse.

Edited by Lurker

Yes, those guys do make plays downfield. This guy shows no past of the same. He's just fast

Is that him, or Texas at fault? I don't get the impression you know, so I think it's hard to be upset unless you've seen a lot of him. I haven't seen a ton so I'm trying to stay even keel on him. He's a midround receiver - low expectations high upside.

To those that like the pick. Go see his combine workout. He had a very difficult time tracking the ball in the air. They even called him a "track guy posing as a football player". I agree.

To those that like the pick. Go see his combine workout. He had a very difficult time tracking the ball in the air. They even called him a "track guy posing as a football player". I agree.

Where? Didn't see much inability to track the ball and would chalk it up to poor throws/lack of familiarity with his speed.

Where? Didn't see much inability to track the ball and would chalk it up to poor throws/lack of familiarity with his speed.

It might take some time to get used to throwing to someone that fast. Moreover, Goodwin might not even have much experience with a QB who could throw the long ball.

Link? I'd be curious to see more of him

I saved the combine workouts on my DVR. There was one throw in particular where the QB is supposed to arc the ball up high and the receiver has to track it down. Goodwin's head was moving right to left like two times and didn't come down with the catch. The pass was on the money.

You should go check out the Senior Bowl - he looked like a football player there.

Edited by BlueFire

Just making $hitt up?

http://www.nfl.com/v...arquise-Goodwin

http://www.usatoday....s-buzz/1943727/

Risers

Marquise Goodwin, Texas:
Goodwin was outstanding from start to finish, and the speedy receiver is causing excitement. He was the fastest receiver on the field, clocking an official time of 4.27 seconds. His speed was evident during drills, too: He consistently outran passes delivered by the strongest-armed quarterbacks. Proving to be more than a straight-line sprinter, he ran terrific routes and caught the ball well in the short field. Goodwin continues to build on the momentum he started at the Senior Bowl last month and further elevated his draft grade with his combine performance.
Edited by Lurker

It might take some time to get used to throwing to someone that fast. Moreover, Goodwin might not even have much experience with a QB who could throw the long ball.

True, he and the QB will have to work together a lot.

I saved the combine workouts on my DVR. There was one throw in particular where the QB is supposed to arc the ball up high and the receiver has to track it down. Goodwin's head was moving right to left like two times and didn't come down with the catch. The pass was on the money.

I did a search but couldn't find the full Combine workout.