Rd 3, Pick #78: WR Marquise Goodwin - Texas

boyst

Just making $hitt up?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2013/02/24/nfl-combine-wide-receivers-workout-marquise-goodwin-creates-buzz/1943727/

Risers

Marquise Goodwin, Texas:
Goodwin was outstanding from start to finish, and the speedy receiver is causing excitement. He was the fastest receiver on the field, clocking an official time of 4.27 seconds. His speed was evident during drills, too: He consistently outran passes delivered by the strongest-armed quarterbacks. Proving to be more than a straight-line sprinter, he ran terrific routes and caught the ball well in the short field. Goodwin continues to build on the momentum he started at the Senior Bowl last month and further elevated his draft grade with his combine performance.

"Caught the ball well in the short field." The play I was referring to was a deep pass. I just watched the combine last night. I don't need to make stuff up.

Edited by NoJustice

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Quinton Patton sitting there to me this pick makes no sense what so ever !!!

Patton has a proven track record of being a big time player when it counts , & has great hands. I just don't get their thinking cause the guy they chose at this pick for sure wasn't the BPA ???

Not to mention the fact that we need a TE ...

Go figure ???

Patton is still on board in 4th...so people not jumping to grab him, so why exactly do you assume he was graded higher by everyone?

Little confused by the pick... BUT... we need WR talent, so why not. Hopefully these two guys are the ones. What do we have now? 4 WRs? SJ, Smith and the two rookies?

TJ, Easley, and Dickerson.

"Caught the ball well in the short field." The play I was referring to was a deep pass. I just watched the combine last night. I don't need to make stuff up.

So how many of those deep passes did he outrun and have to re-track because the QB didn't throw the ball where it needed to be?

If you check out the Ole Mis game, you see that many of the deep passes he's been targeted with have been underthrown and he's had to pop the drag chute to come back to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5HXbFuAi3g

Edited by Lurker

So it was more a comment on one ball than an overall? Or?

Even more than the drops, his route running and reads led him to be in the wrong places much of the time. Like against the Pats when he couldn't adjust his route based on the depth of the safety. Fitz threw that ball EXACTLY where he should have but Graham was not in the right place and it was easily picked off. No wonder Fitz didn't trust him.

GO BILLS!!!

That can be taught. He is not at all a dumb guy. He was a raw player coming out of college. Top WR often have difficulty adjusting to pros as rookies. I thought he struggled badly and was disappointed in him. But we need to see what he does this year and next to have any real idea about him. I saw him getting open pretty often.

That can be taught. He is not at all a dumb guy. He was a raw player coming out of college. Top WR often have difficulty adjusting to pros as rookies. I thought he struggled badly and was disappointed in him. But we need to see what he does this year and next to have any real idea about him. I saw him getting open pretty often.

He was the definition of "project" or "not pro ready" coming out. Those are exactly the things he needed to work on so its no surprise it happened sometimes.

the play that starts right at 2:40....... JESUS!!!!!!!!! That play alone is getting me supper psyched for tho kid. Wow!!!

Lots of big adjustments to balls thrown behind him. Looks like more than just a track guy. Though he looks like he's coasting then he's 20 yards past the defender suddenly in some of those.

Edited by NoSaint

Lots of big adjustments to balls thrown behind him. Looks like more than just a track guy. Though he looks like he's coasting then he's 20 yards past the defender suddenly in some of those.

yeah. And I noticed on the one TD where they had the close up from his right side in the end zone. He jumped an had a little hitch in his jump. His triple an long jump skills kicked in there. He managed to elevate even higher after he did that. This kid is just an athlete. I'm super geeked about him. Something I wish Parrish should have been. This kid is better in every way. Faster. Bigger. Stronger.

Looks a lot thicker and bigger than his size. I was expecting Roscoe Parrish. He looks beefier than Deshean Jackson.

yup. Which is why I love the pick and don't absolutely hate it.

Part of he reason why I don't think Austin will be a good WR in the NFL. He's much smaller. Looks it, plays it. Reminds me more of Parrish than Jackson.

Goodwin is the Jackson type guy.

I just posted this in another thread but it probably belongs here. What I like about it, especially on offense, is they seem to have a plan. This now makes sense why they let David Nelson go. They have Stevie and Woods on the outside (or opposite sides) who are solid, great route running receivers, and two speed demons on the inside, to scare the bejesus out of the defense, especially with CJ.

Goodwin may not be a better WR than guys still on the board, so people think it was a bad decision, but he may be the exact cog that Hackett and Marrone want for this offense.

I didn't like the pick at first. But it's making more sense to me now.

Just tea it in your other post Kelly. Right in brother.

Adding to all this, I don't know if I've ever been so excite about a draft class. I know I say it every year, but this year feels like we are actually getting players to play the game and dictate our will upon others. They will have to react to us. Not the other way around.

Looks a lot thicker and bigger than his size. I was expecting Roscoe Parrish. He looks beefier than Deshean Jackson.

Exactly. He's more Darren Sproles than Roscoe. When I saw his measurables, he looked scary small. Then I saw highlights and it clicked. This guy could be special. He's no TJ Graham. His highlights were truly highlights.

Exactly. He's more Darren Sproles than Roscoe. When I saw his measurables, he looked scary small. Then I saw highlights and it clicked. This guy could be special. He's no TJ Graham. His highlights were truly highlights.

I had the same thought. He has a lot more "football player" movement skills and instincts, IMO...

He looks much bigger than 5'9" and 183#.