Rd 1, Pick #16: QB EJ Manuel - Florida St.

SDS

This pick may ultimately be worse than Aaron Maybin in the first round. In a few years Manuel's name will probably be listed on the Sporting News' list of biggest 1st round draft busts right under JaMarcus Russell.

Why Jamarcus Russell, a top pick rather, than Kyle Boller who was mid first round?

• Replies 793
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why because you think your opinion trumps mine? I think Tebow is a better QB right now and at the time of drafting versus EJ "I-was-happy-to-beat-Wake Forest-Finally" Manuel. I am sorry if my opinion doesn't please you....oh wait, on second thought, i don't give a rats ass.

Tebow is not nor has ever been a better QB than anyone.

I could be wrong, but to me it sounded like he said "He's (Smith) like a Godfather to me."

I think you're right...EJ's dad and Bruce are good friends so that may be the connection to the term "Godfather"...unless, of course, Bruce is running an olive oil business in Virginia and has three sons named Michael, Fredo and Sonny.

I'll go one step farther, Kelly -- it's completely illogical to argue with what they did. This front office did more work evaluating QBs than probably any team in the league. They did their homework. To be able to maneuver like they did, picking up a couple of extra picks, and still get their guy is something very few Bills fans thought this front office was capable of.

Debate the specific pick (Manuel) all you want -- you absolutely can't criticize the Bills' process and execution.

I agree, the maneuvering was brilliant. If you are taking a QB high in the draft the best place to take him is first round out of the top ten. Based on the rookie compensation structure once your out of the top ten you are not over paying and you get an option for a fifth year if the guy turns out to be great.

Apology accepted.

Also, good luck with the Tebow crush, Obvious Gator Fan.

Acutally I am a Bama fan, and if you think I apologized, you have demonstrated FSU-level reading comprehension, which explains a lot.

Tebow is not nor has ever been a better QB than anyone.

Really? He was better than Big Ben on a certain day in Denver...during a playoff game. Yes fellow Bills fans, they still have the playoffs every year.

Acutally I am a Bama fan, and if you think I apologized, you have demonstrated FSU-level reading comprehension, which explains a lot.

A 'bama fan who thinks Tim Tebow is a good QB??

Now I KNOW you're trolling. Get lost.

3. Even if there were 5 taken, I don't see much of a gap in the talent in the 1st and 6th Qbs available.

No, but you would probably be first in line to complain if the Bills chose a QB later and another QB drafted earlier (Manuel for instance) went on to have a better career.

Did the Bills need to draft a QB? Yes.

Was there any 'panic' in what the Bills did last night? No. It was cold & calculated and involved some risk. They got their guy, no if's ands or buts about it.

Yeah, I think people are debating the pick itself.

Anyway, if the Bills were set on taking Manuel, why not trade out of the first round altogether? No one else was going to take this guy in the first. I think they blew an opportunity to pick up another higher 2nd rounder. Or take Eifert at 16 and Manuel in the 2nd

Unless someone had.

Judging by the laughs I've heard from Patriots fans this morning, I'd say our AFC East foes are thrilled with this pick. Really.

Keep drinking the Kool Aid y'all. Bless your hearts.

Yes, please listens to Pats* fans. Great idea. And really? The Kool -Aid comment?

This is what happens when you are forced to take a major need player in the draft .... you reach for the guy and take him earlier than need be for fear some other team will take him first. It happens to crappy teams all of the time and it happened to the Bills yesterday.

After trading out of the top 10, the Bills were in position to fall all the way into the 3rd without much drop off in available talent. In retrospect, they should have traded down more once that decision was made. But, they panicked and had to make the QB pick because of the monumental weakness at the spot.

Just imagine if the Bills had been patient and traded down two more times; a 2nd time into the late 20's (say for a 2nd and 4th) and then pulled off the trade the Pats made with the Vikes. They'd have set themselves up for the foreseeable future with a draft haul like no other.

This is what happens when you are forced to take a major need player in the draft .... you reach for the guy and take him earlier than need be for fear some other team will take him first. It happens to crappy teams all of the time and it happened to the Bills yesterday.

After trading out of the top 10, the Bills were in position to fall all the way into the 3rd without much drop off in available talent. In retrospect, they should have traded down more once that decision was made. But, they panicked and had to make the QB pick because of the monumental weakness at the spot.

Just imagine if the Bills had been patient and traded down two more times; a 2nd time into the late 20's (say for a 2nd and 4th) and then pulled off the trade the Pats made with the Vikes. They'd have set themselves up for the foreseeable future with a draft haul like no other.

THEY DID NOT PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!