Did Anyone see Marrone today on NFL Network at 5:15? -Missed it

Amstel

Yeah i saw it, the anchor was asking really dumb questions, like please tell me who are you going to pick at 8? Anyways he said he a great conversation with Matt Barkley and he seems intelligent about the system there running in buffalo. From what i came away with is that we will be drafting a Nassib or Barkely hands down. I dont think @ 8 though.

Edited by BILLS #1

trade down if possible but we cant watch them pass us by again . i have given in to a QB at 8 Barkley Nassib Manuel. i dont care. if they like him get em.

but a tough draft spot this year.

Thanks Bills #1. i'm not bummed i missed coach's interview now.

anything else ?

Edited by 3rdand12

From what i came away with is that we will be drafting a Nassib or Barkely hands down. I dont think @ 8 though.

I guess I didn't come away with that. He was being very tight lipped on draft strategy as he should be. Saying once again "we are in the information gathering business, not sharing".

What I came away with was a no-nonsense demeanor. Frankly I thought he made kind of an ass out of that dweeb that was asking the questions. Or maybe, the reporter did a good job of that on his own.

Bottom line, from a strategy/ draft perspective you didn't miss anything. It was nice to see him on the network though.

jb

We watched the interview. I really like this guy...unfortunately I liked Gailey at the start. He reminds me of O'Brien at Penn State and I know that's college and that's where Marone is coming from but their demeanor seems similar. I'm willing to wait and see and hope for the best. I did say after the interview its amazing how much these guys talk without saying anything. Go Bills!

My most clear impression of Marrone so far is that like Belichick, he's absolutely mastered the art of talking yet saying nothing.

I really hope this is true.

I think having someone like Buddy who reveals all his cards really hurts the team. I'm surprised they haven't cut him off from the media (and any phone calls)

If its not at #8 its not going to happen. QB's are climbing the charts and if you have a guy you want you take him, you do NOT wait and hope he is there later and you do NOT SETTLE!

There's no such thing as "climbing the charts". That's all media BS. Every GM, former GM and personnel guy interviewed says their draft board is pretty much set weeks ahead of time, with very minor adjustments.

There's no such thing as "climbing the charts". That's all media BS. Every GM, former GM and personnel guy interviewed says their draft board is pretty much set weeks ahead of time, with very minor adjustments.

Exactly.

I feel that they got Kolb so that they do not have to reach at 8 for a non-top 10 QB

SF is likely to be packaging up picks to someone come draft day....They have few and very specific needs for their SB-ready roster. I'm hoping the #8 slot is where SF can target Vaccaro - we then get our QB late 1.......and plug away the holes with 4 more picks in 2/3.

With the Jets now having 2 first round picks, I can't see the Bills waiting til round 2 for a QB let alone trading down behind the Jets second pick. I've said all along, screw Kiper, Mayock, Casserly and who ever else is a draft know it all. Take the QB you want at 8 and don't risk losing out on him because you waited. Buddy and company can't afford to screw the pooch on a QB this year.

Post-Revis trade, the Bills have less flexibility. The jets need a qb and they now have 2 picks in the middle of the round to scoop one up. If the bills covet someone they may not be able to trade past the jets and still get their guy.

I trust joe buscaglia. He's nailed our last 3 first rd picks and even got Glenn in th 2nd last year: if he says we're looking at Barkley or nassib at 8, I believe it.

Exactly.

I feel that they got Kolb so that they do not have to reach at 8 for a non-top 10 QB

SF is likely to be packaging up picks to someone come draft day....They have few and very specific needs for their SB-ready roster. I'm hoping the #8 slot is where SF can target Vaccaro - we then get our QB late 1.......and plug away the holes with 4 more picks in 2/3.

My buddy is a die hard niner fan and says the niners are looking to trade up into the top 15, but not for vaccaro. I think he should be the pick as well, but Datone Jones looks to be their target.

He was a good interview. The draft questions on who they will pick at 8 was silly. The Bills are in a pickle. They amde it known that they will be drafting a QB, Not good if you want some trade flexibility. Then the overall attitude is that this QB class is avereage, no "franchise" QB ala Andrew Luck this year. Geno Smith is rated in the early to mid 20s in the first round on most draft sites, ESPN and NFL Network. So if they stand pat at 8th and draft a QB, they will be accused of reaching. If they don't and sit at 41st and get the 3rd or 4th ranked QB, they will be villified for not acting sooner. Worse case scenario is drafting a QB in the first and he turn up to be a stiff. The draft has plenty of QBs taken in the first round that has turned into a bust. Buyer beware. I don't envy the decision makers in the front office.

Exactly.

All these predictions about Buffalo finding a trade partner for the draft are often times shot down by people on this site - saying "no one's going to give up X amount of picks to get Y player when they could have..." BUT, the one thing I think Buffalo has on it's side in regards to a potential trade down (and, I only see that happening if they're NOT in love with a particular QB) is I think Buffalo would be willing to take LESS than the traditionally or conventionally accepted amount, due to the fact that the talent is similar and they value extra picks in the first 3 or 4 rounds enough to trade back without necessarily getting two 1st round picks and then some, but maybe only swap 1sts, a 2nd, a 4th, and a 7th - or something like that. I just think Buffalo might be willing to take less to get the extra picks.

My buddy is a die hard niner fan and says the niners are looking to trade up into the top 15, but not for vaccaro. I think he should be the pick as well, but Datone Jones looks to be their target.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're not hoping to land Lutulelei. They need someone to replace Smith / play NT. Or the top WR?

Edited by KeisterHollow

I'd say DO NOT SETTLE for any of this year's QBs... Once we draft one we are stuck with them for at least a few years even if they stink. Having them will prevent the team from getting a better one next year...

I don't think that's true. Look at Carolina they drafted Clausen in the first round the first year of the rookie cap and figured out soon it wasn't going to work and they went with cam newton the very next year. With the rookie cap I don't think taking a chance on a guy this year is as horrendous as it was before the rookie scale was implemented (i.e Sanchez)

Yeah i saw it, the anchor was asking really dumb questions, like please tell me who are you going to pick at 8? Anyways he said he a great conversation with Matt Barkley and he seems intelligent about the system there running in buffalo. From what i came away with is that we will be drafting a Nassib or Barkely hands down. I dont think @ 8 though.

please don't let it be Barkley, I can live with Nassib in the second but not the first.

EJ Manuel is a no brainer.. trade down..

He has no brain ?! :o

NFN guys but why on gods green earth would the jets take a QB this year? They are still married to Sanchez for a boatload of cash against the cap. Besides they are in full rebuild mode from what I see. In a year thats noted to have a weak QB class why reach for one at all if you don't need to?

I can see the Jets going LB/ DE and OL or WR, just not QB

If its not at #8 its not going to happen. QB's are climbing the charts and if you have a guy you want you take him, you do NOT wait and hope he is there later and you do NOT SETTLE!

Would you be happy if they took Ryan Nassib, a guy Mayock and just about everyone else has as the 50th best prospect, with the 8th pick in the draft? If so, fair enough but with all the holes we have, I think it would be a waste of a pick. Add in that in any other draft Nassib would barely make the top 100 and its a no brainer, for me at least. Pass on Nassib at 8.

I'd say DO NOT SETTLE for any of this year's QBs... Once we draft one we are stuck with them for at least a few years even if they stink. Having them will prevent the team from getting a better one next year...

So I ask is there a reason you wouldnt want one of them as a long term backup? The way our QB contracts are they are not married to two of the guys we have past this year. Take the qb you like. If it is a mistake try again next year.

Would you be happy if they took Ryan Nassib, a guy Mayock and just about everyone else has as the 50th best prospect, with the 8th pick in the draft? If so, fair enough but with all the holes we have, I think it would be a waste of a pick. Add in that in any other draft Nassib would barely make the top 100 and its a no brainer, for me at least. Pass on Nassib at 8.

And then again, a guy like Russ Lande tabs Nassib as the #1 prospect in the entire draft. It's really not that simple, kids.

I still don't think they take a QB at 8. As bad as Fitz was last year we lost 4 games where we scored over 30 points. The D needs the most attention and there is no need to reach for a QB unless you really like him. I have no problem waiting another year as these guys apparently are not all that impressive.

I don't think that's true. Look at Carolina they drafted Clausen in the first round the first year of the rookie cap and figured out soon it wasn't going to work and they went with cam newton the very next year. With the rookie cap I don't think taking a chance on a guy this year is as horrendous as it was before the rookie scale was implemented (i.e Sanchez)

Clausen was a 2nd round pick

CBF

It wouldn't be horrendous money wise but a big mistake if you get a player at No.8 who doesn't pan out.

With the rookie cap I don't think taking a chance on a guy this year is as horrendous as it was before the rookie scale was implemented (i.e Sanchez)

Great point about the rookie cap! It would be a shame to pass on a better player at number 8 to take a chance though. I am still working with my shrink on my bitterness towards the Colts organization, and I think sometimes it comes out in my posts. Thank you for helping to inject some sound thought into my sometimes biased logic.

He has no brain ?! :o

Yeah but he has great measurables although now you have me worried about the size of his superior temporal sulcus.

It wouldn't be horrendous money wise but a big mistake if you get a player at No.8 who doesn't pan out.

Like when Donte Whitner didn't pan out?

So I ask is there a reason you wouldnt want one of them as a long term backup? The way our QB contracts are they are not married to two of the guys we have past this year. Take the qb you like. If it is a mistake try again next year.

Well, I may be ignorant regarding how rookie contracts work, but I am going off the assumption that the contract a rookie QB drafted at 8 will receive, may end up at higher than what you want to pay a backup qb. Also, the front office may be worried about the perception if they use a # 8 for someone that they dump after 1 season in order to take another shot next year.

Edited by BILLS_ROC

THIS!!!!

OK tell me all the teams you think will be drafting a QB behind us at #8 ??? the only possibility is the jets and they need plenty of other players before a QB this year. they just had a fire sale and need to replace Revis.

Find me just 1 mock draft that has a team selecting a QB after #8.

The Bills can trade back and stil get thier guy IMO, AND in the process of picking up extra picks get a top WR and a top TE.

Staying at #8 is the wrong move for the Bills IMO

Edited by shibuya