ESPN 30 for 30: Elway to Marino

AGREE!! Waayy too much on Elway. 1983 was the best quarterback draft ever and they turned into The John Elway Show in my opinion. Many fans, and some players in Denver couldn't stand Elway with his arrogance his first several years there. Kelly & the Bills changed the face of NFL offense w/ the K-gun, fast-paced play. Nothing about that. Go Bills.

again, this was not a documentary about the best QB class of all time, it was about the events that surrounded that draft as documented by the agent for Elway and Marino

i dont get what people are not understanding about that

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again, this was not a documentary about the best QB class of all time, it was about the events that surrounded that draft as documented by the agent for Elway and Marino

Woe is me, the media hates Buffalo syndrome. Let them have it.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

AGREE!! Waayy too much on Elway. 1983 was the best quarterback draft ever and they turned into The John Elway Show in my opinion. Many fans, and some players in Denver couldn't stand Elway with his arrogance his first several years there. Kelly & the Bills changed the face of NFL offense w/ the K-gun, fast-paced play. Nothing about that. Go Bills.

Maybe you can make a movie about the quarterbacks of the 1983 draft, because this movie wasn't meant to be that. This was a movie about the FIRST ROUND OF THE 1983 DRAFT!!! Elway and Marino bookended the draft and had the same agent who told the story of the entire round. The movie had nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills Offense! I just watched a rerun of the Cosby Show from 1986, I am not pissed that they didn't talk about the K-gun.

Some people are too stupid to watch television.

Edited by theesir

Could be a spoiler for those who didnt see it:

I think the most interesting thing of the whole story was that Raiders trade that just happened to vanish. And it just so happened that there was a lawsuit at the time between Al Davis and the NFL.

It is almost like it was centered on the agent for Elway and his diary that he kept about the goings-on before during and after the draft.

Seriously I know people hear 83 draft class and think Kelly. That is not what this doc was supposed to be about! Read through the thread (although it sounds like you watched it - so I don't know how you missed it) and you will see it was about Elway and Marino NOT THE 83 DRAFT CLASS!!!!!!!!!!

I think the most interesting thing of the whole story was that Raiders trade that just happened to vanish. And it just so happened that there was a lawsuit at the time between Al Davis and the NFL.

I agree. The NFL and all major sports are very shady. They often blur the line between ethics and fairness. This was a shining example of that. Conlficts of interest, personal vendettas, changing history, good thing something like that could never happen in today's NFL!

Yep. They (Al Davis) wanted Kelly too. Good thing Rozell hated him..

that was odd how the trade just went away once the league got involved

I couldnt help but wonder if Al wanted Elway why didnt he want Marino later?

Maybe you can make a movie about the quarterbacks of the 1983 draft, because this movie wasn't meant to be that. This was a movie about the FIRST ROUND OF THE 1983 DRAFT!!! Elway and Marino bookended the draft and had the same agent who told the story of the entire round. The movie had nothing to do with the Buffalo Bills Offense! I just watched a rerun of the Cosby Show from 1986, I am not pissed that they didn't talk about the K-gun.

Some people are too stupid to watch television.

Hey Einstein, I was giving an opinion on the story line. In my OPINION (I know those are rarely given on the message board) it would have been a better show if they broadened their scope!

I completely disagree. People either forget or aren't old enough to realize what a huge deal the Elway situation was at the time; easily the biggest draft 'scandal' in history.

You had the #1 player and his Dad publically warning the Colts not to draft him, the instability of the Colts franchise, the trade rumors with half the league, the biggest owner in any sports trying to lure Elway to a baseball deal, the trade NOT going down on draft day, and then the trade finally happening for much less than the Colts could have had from a number of teams on draft day. We haven't seen anything remotely close to that situation since.

Elway was publically vilified for his stance against the Colts. Try for a minute to imagine the reaction of the sports world if that had happened with today's media/internet coverage. There would have be 473 Elway threads posted here.

And it overshadowed the Marino story -- huge in its own right. He might have been the #1 pick after his junior year but somehow falls to #26 amidst drug rumors. And while everyone vilifies the Jets for taking O’Brien (who was a damn good QB), what the hell were teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas thinking in not picking him?

I thought this was an outstanding film, I really enjoyed it. I had forgotten how much other talent was in that first round aside from the QBs. 6 HOFs plus 9 other Pro Bowlers in 28 picks; amazing.

Edited by KD in CT

I completely disagree. People either forget or aren't old enough to realize what a huge deal the Elway situation was at the time; easily the biggest draft 'scandal' in history.

You had the #1 player and his Dad publically warning the Colts not to draft him, the instability of the Colts franchise, the trade rumors with half the league, the biggest owner in any sports trying to lure Elway to a baseball deal, the trade NOT going down on draft day, and then the trade finally happening for much less than the Colts could have had from a number of teams on draft day. We haven't seen anything remotely close to that situation since.

Elway was publically vilified for his stance against the Colts. Try for a minute to imagine the reaction of the sports world if that had happened with today's media/internet coverage. There would have be 473 Elway threads posted here.

And it overshadowed the Marino story -- huge in its own right. He might have been the #1 pick after his junior year but somehow falls to #26 amidst drug rumors. And while everyone vilifies the Jets for taking O’Brien (who was a damn good QB), what the hell were teams like Pittsburgh and Dallas thinking in not picking him?

I thought this was an outstanding film, I really enjoyed it. I had forgotten how much other talent was in that first round aside from the QBs. 6 HOFs plus 9 other Pro Bowlers in 28 picks; amazing.

Agree on almost all accounts.

With two minor exceptions. One I really think most of the Elway thing goes away if he doesn't have the baseball thing and Steinbrenner to fall back on. yes, Irsay was crazy and maybe would have done the same thing, but I really don't think Elway would have sat out a year if push came to shove. Hardly anyone did. He had a legitimate threat, and he is one of the only ones ever to have that legitimate threat, so you couldn't just call his bluff.

Two, Marino was horrible his senior season. He threw 17 TDs and 23 INTs, 20 TDs less than his junior year with the same level team who was supposed to compete for the national championship. His yards per pass went down a yard. His rating went down 30 points. That was the reason he fell, way more than the rumors.

This actually made me laugh, but I don't know how people could say Marino was better than Kelly. I am sorry, to me they are equal.

Indeed they are.

Kelly's teams' record when he started: 63 percent winning percentage.

Marino's teams' record when he started: 61 percent.

Kelly's completion pct and QB rating - 60.1 percent and 84.4

Marino's completion pct and QB rating - 59.4 and 86.4

Kelly's YPA: 7.4

Marino's YPA: 7.3

Kelly's INT pct: 3.7

Marino's INT pct: 3.0

Kelly's TD pct: 5.0

Marino's TD pct: 5.0

Marino's advanced passer rating (PFW): 113

Kelly's advanced passer rating (PFW): 111

I'm not going to compare postseason records because Marino was a good postseason QB who happened to be plagued by a lot of bad Miami defenses.

Edited by dave mcbride

Agree on almost all accounts.

With two minor exceptions. One I really think most of the Elway thing goes away if he doesn't have the baseball thing and Steinbrenner to fall back on. yes, Irsay was crazy and maybe would have done the same thing, but I really don't think Elway would have sat out a year if push came to shove. Hardly anyone did. He had a legitimate threat, and he is one of the only ones ever to have that legitimate threat, so you couldn't just call his bluff.

Two, Marino was horrible his senior season. He threw 17 TDs and 23 INTs, 20 TDs less than his junior year with the same level team who was supposed to compete for the national championship. His yards per pass went down a yard. His rating went down 30 points. That was the reason he fell, way more than the rumors.

Yeah, you're probably right that people were more spooked by Marino's poor senior year more than the drug rumors. Still, a big armed QB on a national power -- I think he'd have been a high pick in 2013.

And yes, definitely the baseball angle gave Elway the leverage he needed -- and made it a much more compelling story. Bo Jackson did the same (and picked baseball), though he seemed to prefer baseball all along so it wasn't that big a deal when he didn't go to the Bucs. I'm not so sure Elway doesn't sit out a year if football is his only option; his old man was pretty stubborn.

Yeah, you're probably right that people were more spooked by Marino's poor senior year more than the drug rumors. Still, a big armed QB on a national power -- I think he'd have been a high pick in 2013.

And yes, definitely the baseball angle gave Elway the leverage he needed -- and made it a much more compelling story. Bo Jackson did the same (and picked baseball), though he seemed to prefer baseball all along so it wasn't that big a deal when he didn't go to the Bucs. I'm not so sure Elway doesn't sit out a year if football is his only option; his old man was pretty stubborn.

Football literally ruined Bo Jackson. He should have played baseball only.