ESPN 30 for 30: Elway to Marino

I like how the QB with the most SB appearances got the least airtime, yet if you do the math, Elway's gums got 80% of the airtime.

i think you missed the piont of the entire documentary

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how the QB with the most SB appearances got the least airtime, yet if you do the math, Elway's gums got 80% of the airtime.

You are wrong on so many counts here. Do you think Jim Kelly wouldn't trade his 0-4 Super Bowl record, for Elways' 2-3 record?

Great stuff, Gordio. Always liked Dr.Z's style -though he looked foolish in the 30-30 piece in hindsight..

I remember my dad took my friend & I to that game. Opening week of the 86 season. I was 13. When they announced the offense & it was Kelly's turn to be introduced you could just hear "from the University of Miami" & you could not hear the rest because the crowd was so loud. Kelly was something that day too. You just knew watching him play that day that Bills finally found their QB. Man good memories.

The documentary was outstanding and I hate to be redundant (not really) with respect to my earlier post, but...

...the guy who wore red, white, and blue for 11 years starting in '86 was 20-9 against the namesakes of the documentary.

Oh, and in 13 pro-seasons he threw for 320 TDs and 45,000 yards.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

Once again a 30 for 30 Doc knocks it out of the park. Great story with the agent, and the info about all of the owners and background dealings. Crazy to see the draft from 30 years ago and how far it has come. Jimbo needs to make a public apology/statement about his quotes in there!!

why does he need to make a public apology? he was honest about how he felt and stated at the end he wouldnt change a thing about his career

i think the fact that he still lives in the area is all he needs to say

why does he need to make a public apology? he was honest about how he felt and stated at the end he wouldnt change a thing about his career

i think the fact that he still lives in the area is all he needs to say

Exactly. The secretary is the one who needs to give the public apology.

The documentary wasn'y ABOUT the QBs of the first round. It was about Elway and Marino AND the rest of the first round

I knew that story and then when I was reminded of it I cringed. WTF was she even thinking! I can't even express how dumb of a move this was!

What was the story? I plan on watching it tonight.

What was the story? I plan on watching it tonight.

In a nutshell, Kelly was about to sign w/ the Bills when a USFL guy called in; the secretary should have taken a message, but she gave the call to Jim's agent and it was over.

In a nutshell, Kelly was about to sign w/ the Bills when a USFL guy called in; the secretary should have taken a message, but she gave the call to Jim's agent and it was over.

He was in the Bills offices about to sign. The secretary put the call through and it was Bruce Allen of the USFL Chicago Blitz saying that no matter what don't sign, and they will have to offer you more money when our league offers you more. Then he got his choice of teams to go to.

Okay, I remember hearing that story. On most ways believe it or not that probably worked out better for the Bills. They got to suck a few more years(got to pick Bruce Smith #1 in 85) & Kelly got to learn & refine his passing game by the great Mouse Davis down in Houston. If Kelly comes here in 83, we are probably not in position to take Smith in 85. Funny how little things like this thru the NFL timeline changes the landscape in the NFL for a whole generation of players.

The documentary wasn't ABOUT the QBs of the first round. It was about Elway and Marino AND the rest of the first round

:thumbsup:

And it wasnt about their professional careers either. It was, as you say, about the first round of a draft and why which players went where.

:thumbsup:

And it wasnt about their professional careers either. It was, as you say, about the first round of a draft and why which players went where.

And it was a movie, structured like one, with a beginning and an end, and about the two players one at the beginning of the first round and one at the end of the first round, who had a common link in Marvin Demoff, who kept a journal about those two guys as it happened. That was a very well put together piece of entertainment.

Okay, I remember hearing that story. On most ways believe it or not that probably worked out better for the Bills. They got to suck a few more years(got to pick Bruce Smith #1 in 85) & Kelly got to learn & refine his passing game by the great Mouse Davis down in Houston. If Kelly comes here in 83, we are probably not in position to take Smith in 85. Funny how little things like this thru the NFL timeline changes the landscape in the NFL for a whole generation of players.

on another more important note if Kelly doesnt go to Houston i probably dont end up being a Bills fan because Kelly and how he was slinging it for the Gamblers is why i became a fan of his and the Bills

Edited by Max997

And it was a movie, structured like one, with a beginning and an end, and about the two players one at the beginning of the first round and one at the end of the first round, who had a common link in Marvin Demoff, who kept a journal about those two guys as it happened. That was a very well put together piece of entertainment.

Exactly. Hollywood couldnt make up a better script.

AGREE!! Waayy too much on Elway. 1983 was the best quarterback draft ever and they turned into The John Elway Show in my opinion. Many fans, and some players in Denver couldn't stand Elway with his arrogance his first several years there. Kelly & the Bills changed the face of NFL offense w/ the K-gun, fast-paced play. Nothing about that. Go Bills.