David Nelson to visit the Browns (update - now signed)

He's probably close to being healthy and can run. That has to be why the Bills didn't tender him and he took off to India the first week of FA. I still wish we would have tendered him and he was still on the team. Perhaps when he is 100% they will bring him back.

The visit is from a Tim Graham tweet.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's probably close to being healthy and can run. That has to be why the Bills didn't tender him and he took off to India the first week of FA. I still wish we would have tendered him and he was still on the team. Perhaps when he is 100% they will bring him back.

The visit is from a Tim Graham tweet.

I’m glad they didn’t tender him because the amount of the tender was way more than he is worth but I agree with you in that I wish he were still on the team. I really thought they were going to try to sign him to a deal that made sense for both sides…like 2-3 years at about $400-500k per year. Maybe they will bring him back later on this year but I think that's doubtful.

Oh well, good luck with the visit to the Browns.

I'm still kind of hoping we end up with him, somehow. I liked the way he played. That being said, the fact that he hasn't been picked up yet tells me what the league thinks about him.

I think it's more a matter of his injury and being able to trust he is healthy and able to run.

I'm still kind of hoping we end up with him, somehow. I liked the way he played. That being said, the fact that he hasn't been picked up yet tells me what the league thinks about him.

DHB was just signed yesterday and people like Brandon Moore and Karlos Dansby are still floating around. Just because you aren't picked up early doesn't mean you're a bad player.

I think it's more a matter of his injury and being able to trust he is healthy and able to run.

Don't want to rehash this, but if you do tender him and he signs (1.3M is the figure that was tossed around) you have a solid option at WR if he's healthy. If he's not healthy or if he doesn't perform up to the team's liking you cut him. (if injured a settlement would have to be reached) In either case the investment isn't big. Meanwhile what is to become of our slash player, what impact will he have this season (this is asked to those who think that 1.3M is too much for Nelson)?

They signed Merriman (the first time) and didn't even check to see if he could run (he couldn't---oops).

Don't want to rehash this, but if you do tender him and he signs (1.3M is the figure that was tossed around) you have a solid option at WR if he's healthy. If he's not healthy or if he doesn't perform up to the team's liking you cut him. (if injured a settlement would have to be reached) In either case the investment isn't big. Meanwhile what is to become of our slash player, what impact will he have this season (this is asked to those who think that 1.3M is too much for Nelson)?

Good point BB.

Yep. I thought they should have tendered him. Pissed they didn't. I was just explaining why he hasnt got a lot of looks.

Meanwhile what is to become of our slash player, what impact will he have this season (this is asked to those who think that 1.3M is too much for Nelson)?

I am assuming you are referring to Brad Smith. Unless Marrone et al plan to use him at WR, I think he is one who should be on the chop block as he is not a 'value' player. His contributions are underwhelming compared to Nelson. My first reaction to the Nelson non-tender was that he was not at full strength and not expected to be either. I would like for him to be back also, if healthy.

I suppose that would make us the Warehouse of Despair.

:lol: Wait, why I am I laughing ?

I am assuming you are referring to Brad Smith. Unless Marrone et al plan to use him at WR, I think he is one who should be on the chop block as he is not a 'value' player. His contributions are underwhelming compared to Nelson. My first reaction to the Nelson non-tender was that he was not at full strength and not expected to be either. I would like for him to be back also, if healthy.

I don't know if Marrone is a Wildcat kind of guy so I'd expect Smith to be used mostly as a WR. In the slot he could be just as good as Nelson.

I don't know if Marrone is a Wildcat kind of guy so I'd expect Smith to be used mostly as a WR. In the slot he could be just as good as Nelson.

see, what separates a guy like nelson from a guy like smith is that there are only so many people that can take it to the endzone anytime they touch the ball. there are a lot that can eat up 8-10 yards a play though.

im not saying smith is at the top of the list of explosive players, but he has shown that ability in his past and because of that he will get many chances in this league that a guy that is simply reliable will not.

not knocking nelson, or even cheering smith all that much in that statement - just the nature of the nfl a lot of times it seems.

see, what separates a guy like nelson from a guy like smith is that there are only so many people that can take it to the endzone anytime they touch the ball. there are a lot that can eat up 8-10 yards a play though.

im not saying smith is at the top of the list of explosive players, but he has shown that ability in his past and because of that he will get many chances in this league that a guy that is simply reliable will not.

not knocking nelson, or even cheering smith all that much in that statement - just the nature of the nfl a lot of times it seems.

While I agree with that thought, I just haven't seen Smith showcase that talent here in BUffalo. The ability is there based on his performance with the Jets, but is this a case of Gailey not utilizing him properly ? His skills not fitting Gailey's schemes ? All the talent and ability mean squat if not used.

IMHO, this is the year that Smith has to play up to his paycheck. If he cannot in Marrone's system also, he will be a goner next off-season.