QB Ratings from my Son

Hi all. As some of you who know me personally, my Son coaches @ Gardner-Webb in North Carolina. They are in the Big South with Stonybrook. Obviously a proud papa. The following is a letter I sent to him regarding the Bills future QB. Instead of a two paragraph reply he replied with this detailed reply.

So take it for what it's worth....It's long and unedited, his spelling "aint" da best.I even left in him crushing me for my man-crush of Matt Scott. Only thing I left out was the personal stuff. Hope U enjoy.

Matt Flynn. Good QB and a reason to why he was coveted. Can make plays and better than some of the starters in the league now. I think better than Fitz, better than Tarvaris, better than anyone on Oak, Cle, and plausibly Philly. The price maybe high but for a vet who is used to the cold and worked with a pass happy GB playbook, he would be really good with Drew Brees type play I think with the Bills new Coaches. He lost out to a stud in Russel Wilson but that's not to knock on Flynn I think. Again he's a good QB. Will he get traded before preseason or during the Draft? Give him a chance to be the guy and let's go. Show that we can get a better QB in there that is worth more than a 6th or 7th rd pick. shoot The bills have/have had....aaron corp, levi Brown, tarvaris Jackson, Fitz, Thigpen, Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards. Really? This is how we are gonna play? I wanna see them care. Let's fail with Flynn, let's fail with A top pick, let's fail with trying, instead of hoping to succeed with a BELOW AVERAGE prospects. (update from when I started writing this. the Raiders are going to trade for Flynn)

Colt McCoy is not an answer. I like him as an individual, but He had a great game against the Patriots but has been hurt. He seems like a brady quinn/bordie croyle. 2 Coaching staffs didn't like him. now a third has brought on another QB in Campbell. I think he deserves a shot as a 2nd somewhere and maybe a good preseason will help him, but he's not an answer in Buffalo this year.

I Can't stand Tavaris as a QB. If you want to be an average team then he's great. He's athletic, Great, but as far productivity he's done nothing to show that he can be a QB of the future. he throws a ton of INT's. He had good players and a good RB in Minn and was lousy, lost his job to Joe Webb. He had good enough players in Seattle and had the same OC as MINN and was lousy. Talking to the Guy from the Bills, he's not really good at picking up a complex playbook.

Geno Smith is another good athletic QB, He has athleticism and a passion. He has a great arm but I am way to concerned with his accuracy. In the NFL he has to be able to read and hit tight holes. In college a miss is an incomplete but some of the throw he made are Pick 6's. He's a good QB but he is a project and I wouldn't expect to win immediately with him. Maybe good in the future, and that's what Scouts will have to decide in their interview process. Talent is talent, but ability to go beyond talent is what separates Michael Vick from Tom Brady. Vince Young is history. RG3 and Russel Wilson know how to read. He may be gone before the Bills pick so not a big deal. I honestly have no idea how to evaluate this guy, I think because he is a read option guy he has to much hype. My style of QB is so different I just can't evaluate him.

Matt Barkley is a QB I really like. He had a rough season but I like his film. He is a pocket passer and move around in it to extend the play. Watching different Highlight tapes of him I like that he has a wide variety of locations. He is very proficient at placing the ball, especially on sideline routes. He has good touch as seen on his Wheel routes but also he's strong enough to hit the man in the hole. I felt like he threw into coverage too much but his strength and accuracy worked and got the ball there. (and he had great receivers) I feel that with his 4 years experience in a pro style and assuming you have a good QB coach I feel comfortable with him starting and becoming a good QB for the Bills. Would be ironic as he sent Aaron Corp packing to Richmond, if he goes to the bills he may send him packing again.

Ryan Nassib is a good QB, the fact that he is coming out of Syracuse and not a bigger school means he has something going for him the scouts like. He has good motion and looks the part. He is raw in how he approaches the field. I watched his highlights from the USC game (as they had a good team) also the Missouri game. He made good and bad throws. Receivers weren't great. He doesn't seem to know the correct velocity to put on the ball every time. His competitiveness makes him antsy in the Pocket and throws with bad Technique some of the time. He doesn't throw deep often enough to evaluate that. Raw but workable. If he was going to a new staff that'd be great as they'd fix his fundamentals. I'd be concerned with the same staff he would be antsy and not improve as much he needs to.

E.J. Manuel. I watched his game against Florida and all I remember thinking of was how much I didn't like him at QB. But I rewatched his tape and saw some more of his work and I can live with him at QB. he has a good arm, tight spiral and was very accurate. Not sure on all of his decision making as I don't know all of the plays he made in regards to the plays called. Wouldn't mind the Bills going with him. I think he would beat out Tarvaris easy.

Tyler Bray, I'll have to evaluate more film on him. I am really concerned with his arm motion just saw about 2-3 minutes of film and hate is a bad word but really was not feeling him. His motion caused him to throw behind the guy and not be perfectly on target. Looks like it's coming from his chest through his shoulder. But Gotta evaluate him more. Talked to a coach who was with him when he took the job away from Sims and talked about how good of a leader he was and a baller.

Tyler Wilson is a guy I want. Can get him in the later rounds but may end up being a great player. He cares about the game and puts the team on his shoulders and will work hard. If you get him in the mid rounds wouldn't be surprised if he has a chip to prove the world wrong and assume he is the starter and conquer the playbook. I want to give him the ball and go win. He has great mechanics and uses the whole field. I know in his senior season his numbers dipped a bit but the staff he played for wasn't the best and he was working hard. He makes bad decisions at times by locking in. Noticed against Ole Miss him throwing into DBL and TRIPLE coverage. I understand smaller hands and may have deep balls that float. Combine numbers were low, People from the senior bowl came across loving him. He has what I feel can get the job done. (I of course really liked Trent Edwards as a QB , but also pegged Kirk Cousins as a good QB when he was splitting time as a Sophomore so I'm not a complete knucklehead. Just mostly). Maybe Wilson won't translate and I'm just wrong. The other scouts get paid a lot more that I. He is a project. His 3yd passes on 3rd and long ticks me off. Will watch more film and can see my opinion on him plausibly changing but not likely. He's a love or hate guy, no one is so so with him. If he is a guy who will take instruction then the sky is the limit.

Landry Jones is just a guy to me. watching his film makes me bored. Maybe good tape on the first day of install which basic slants/outs/flats. Too used to the get it and go approach I don't think h can read at all. When Defenses changed their coverage he just checked down or threw a pick. See no reason why he would be a prospect. Nothing stands out to me. Jason White is a STILL a better QB!

Mike Glennon. Can make all the throws. The good ones and the bad. not a bad prospect coming and not on my bad list. his height is a positive and can do well. People say Flacco like but Flacco has gone to the AFC Championship game a lot and won a superbowl. Mike Glennon Seems like he makes the plays when he needs to but devils advocate would say that his inconsistent play puts him in those positions. he is a pocket guy, which I like. He never relies on his legs so he can read. He did throw INT's and made mistakes. Worth taking a risk on. maybe a 2nd Round Grade but drafted in the First. Could work, may not. will say he has a chance because of his size and his strong arm to do well.

Matt Scott. This guy is athletic and strong arm. I watched 3 games on him. The USC, Nevada, and Stanford... 90% if not more of his throws were being thrown to a stationary target, either in a hitch or back shoulder. A couple of times he rolls out and hits a go on an out route or slant. Both are easy throws and what you throw in warm ups. felt like the few times he threw the seams he struggled. He threw a nice bomb against Nevada but is under thrown. almost all balls are. I see most throws put the receiver having to make a great catch on his throws. Struggles to hit a moving Target. Raw prospect to me. I know you're big on him. But unless I already had a starter I don't see myself drafting or even signing this guy.

Sean Renfree. I like this kid. rewatched the Cincy game. He understnds how to read. Good mechanics on the run. Good motion. knows how to hit his receivers down field. not 100% on decision making. Appears to know how to look defenders off. There are a lot of screens but I like how he understands how to move safties Has a good enough arm. Not a lot of film for me to find other than the bowl game. Good arm strength. Hasn't thrown since getting hurt at the end of the Bowl game causing him to miss the shrine-games, combine, and pro day. Difficult to trust an injury this bad on a throwing shoulder. Preinjury I would love to draft him in 6th-7th round or even late 5th if the move was right. With injury he will have to somehow find a way onto a roster and may not get the chance I would love to see.

Nick Florence. Couldn't find any highlights of him on youtube like the other QB's and saw why. Great QB but decided he won't go pro. Didn't go to pro day and wont enter draft. Wants to finish his masters and enjoy being married. GO HIM

Zac Dysert Wow, never watched this guy play and now seeing his film I'm just getting excited. Man I want this QB on my team right now and watch me win a championship. He looks the part. He plays the part. This is a QB any coach would want to have. He is better than Landry, and Nassib. Can throw the ball down/and across the field. The entire field has to be covered when he is ability to throw the ball, causes defenders to spread leaving someone open. Would call him a system guy if he didn't throw down field so well! Can accurately throw the ball. He did make good plays throwing across his body, throwing into coverage. If he played SEC defenses his numbers may not be as good. his arm strength got him there. Looks to extend plays with their rewards and risk. But with his accuracy throwing at receivers it's pretty awesome. Can see a clear difference to how a QB hitting a Receiver in stride and not making them go back shoulder is a huge plus. Gotta break bad habits such as across body throws/and over throwing. Throws really hard (could be caught sometimes). His hard throws to the sideline sometimes go high. Extending the play causes some turnovers. He does better when sitting in the pocket. You can't deny his heart and what he has done with the program there. If given time to sit for a season or so as a backup Could very possibly be a Mr August. That get's a shot somewhere. Better than Kevin Kolb/Carson Palmer.

My evaluations are not very comparable to that of NFL scouts I know. I have either a draft or don't draft. where they have a round label on the players. I don't know how to do that very well. I love different qb's then most (shaun hill and Kyle Orton) and recognize I'm probably wrong as anyone can be and don't mind being wrong as I will look back and learn on how to become a better coach/evaluator for next time. These are my quick evaluations as you know I didn't watch much film during the season. Did it all today and tried to watch everything with an open mind. (Except Landry I hate this guy) I listened to Mayock after I watched all the highlight films on the players. I'd love to hear your take as I know you've watched more film on these guys then I and saw many at the combine which I'm not able to view right now. We have Spring practice this week so I may not get back to you ASAP, but i will def call you when we near the draft and I've had more time to evaluate film.

It's a cop-out but honestly I can't evaluate Geno Smith so I didn't add him to either list.

My top 5 would be

Matt Barkley - already ready to be a starter but another USC QB with high expectations...May join Palmer, Leinart, Booty, Sanchez, Aaron Corp, as just another guy.

Mike Glennon - Size has it's advantage. Hard to put him up so high but with the weak class and his ceiling for chance to grow he may end up being good.

Zac Dysert - Make him your #2 and plan on him being your QB of the future. May end up being better than Glennon because of going to a better team. (If KC drafts him in the late rounds I would be super happy)

Tyler Wilson/E.J Manuel - Both have great arms but may not work out. Tyler with his decision making and EJ with his ability to read

My bottom 5 form worst to less worse

LANDRY JONES-Get off my TV I hate you. YOU SUCK. Go Work for All-State

Colt McCoy - You came, you played, and no one want's you.

Tarvaris - see above status

Tyler Bray - Bad motion = bad play. Don't see any advantage to having him right now.

Ryan Nassib - underthrown balls with bad velocity don't get it done for me. Which is sad cuz going in I was rooting for him.

(*I'd put Landry Jones twice but Then that means he'd have a place in not dead last! GO AWAY LANDRY)

NOTE *Sean Renfree if he was healthy would loved to have seen his workouts.

Coach Casey Williams

Asst. Coach/Video Coordinator

Hi Casey. So who do you want to be the Bills QB in 2013 ? Let me give you some choices, some realistic and some not so ..

Not in any particular order : Matt Flynn

Colt McCoy

Tarvaris Jackson

Geno Smith, West virginia

Matt Barkley, USC

Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

E.J. Manuel, Florida St.

Tyler Bray, Tennessee

Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Mike Glennon, North Carolina St.

Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Matt Scott, Arizona

Sean Renfree, Duke

Nick Florence, Baylor

Zac Dysart, Miami, (Oh.)

Someone else.

I know you may not be familiar with them all since you play on Saturdays and don't get to watch as many games as me but if you want to give a top 3-5 and a bottom 3-5 and I'll give you mine and see how close we are. Take your time and get back to me. It's going to be interesting with Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo, and possibly the N.Y. Jets all looking @ the QB positions in the first 3 rounds. And the Chiefs may still go QB even with them trading for Alex Smith. Hope things are going well.

If you are available, let's try and hook up during the Draft either by phone or face book etc. and discuss the picks. It's on April 25.... a Thursday. Talk to you soon.

Love, Dad

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

To me it sounds like he only watched the YouTube videos of the throws because the only "film" mentioned are the games you can find on YouTube.

Also, Matt Flynn has so little body of work that it's asinine to say how good he is or who he's better than.

Read the whole thing and didn't see much that hasn't already been said by several different people already.

Hi all. As some of you who know me personally, my Son coaches @ Gardner-Webb in North Carolina. They are in the Big South with Stonybrook. After this year he graduates and has been offered a Grad assistants job @ Vanderbilt. Obviously a proud papa. The following is a letter I sent to him regarding the Bills future QB. Instead of a two paragraph reply he got together with his best friend and his Dad Bob Sanders, a former Bills asst who is now with the Raiders. Mr. Sanders was nice enough to open up his doors to his film room and ergo this long, detailed reply from my Son.

So take it for what it's worth....It's long and unedited, his spelling "aint" da best.I even left in him crushing me for my man-crush of Matt Scott. Only thing I left out was the personal stuff. Hope U enjoy.

Matt Flynn. Good QB and a reason to why he was coveted. Can make plays and better than some of the starters in the league now. I think better than Fitz, better than Tarvaris, better than anyone on Oak, Cle, and plausibly Philly. The price maybe high but for a vet who is used to the cold and worked with a pass happy GB playbook, he would be really good with Drew Brees type play I think with the Bills new Coaches. He lost out to a stud in Russel Wilson but that's not to knock on Flynn I think. Again he's a good QB. Will he get traded before preseason or during the Draft? Give him a chance to be the guy and let's go. Show that we can get a better QB in there that is worth more than a 6th or 7th rd pick. shoot The bills have/have had....aaron corp, levi Brown, tarvaris Jackson, Fitz, Thigpen, Brian Brohm, Trent Edwards. Really? This is how we are gonna play? I wanna see them care. Let's fail with Flynn, let's fail with A top pick, let's fail with trying, instead of hoping to succeed with a BELOW AVERAGE prospects. (update from when I started writing this. the Raiders are going to trade for Flynn)

Colt McCoy is not an answer. I like him as an individual, but He had a great game against the Patriots but has been hurt. He seems like a brady quinn/bordie croyle. 2 Coaching staffs didn't like him. now a third has brought on another QB in Campbell. I think he deserves a shot as a 2nd somewhere and maybe a good preseason will help him, but he's not an answer in Buffalo this year.

I Can't stand Tavaris as a QB. If you want to be an average team then he's great. He's athletic, Great, but as far productivity he's done nothing to show that he can be a QB of the future. he throws a ton of INT's. He had good players and a good RB in Minn and was lousy, lost his job to Joe Webb. He had good enough players in Seattle and had the same OC as MINN and was lousy. Talking to the Guy from the Bills, he's not really good at picking up a complex playbook.

Geno Smith is another good athletic QB, He has athleticism and a passion. He has a great arm but I am way to concerned with his accuracy. In the NFL he has to be able to read and hit tight holes. In college a miss is an incomplete but some of the throw he made are Pick 6's. He's a good QB but he is a project and I wouldn't expect to win immediately with him. Maybe good in the future, and that's what Scouts will have to decide in their interview process. Talent is talent, but ability to go beyond talent is what separates Michael Vick from Tom Brady. Vince Young is history. RG3 and Russel Wilson know how to read. He may be gone before the Bills pick so not a big deal. I honestly have no idea how to evaluate this guy, I think because he is a read option guy he has to much hype. My style of QB is so different I just can't evaluate him.

Matt Barkley is a QB I really like. He had a rough season but I like his film. He is a pocket passer and move around in it to extend the play. Watching different Highlight tapes of him I like that he has a wide variety of locations. He is very proficient at placing the ball, especially on sideline routes. He has good touch as seen on his Wheel routes but also he's strong enough to hit the man in the hole. I felt like he threw into coverage too much but his strength and accuracy worked and got the ball there. (and he had great receivers) I feel that with his 4 years experience in a pro style and assuming you have a good QB coach I feel comfortable with him starting and becoming a good QB for the Bills. Would be ironic as he sent Aaron Corp packing to Richmond, if he goes to the bills he may send him packing again.

Ryan Nassib is a good QB, the fact that he is coming out of Syracuse and not a bigger school means he has something going for him the scouts like. He has good motion and looks the part. He is raw in how he approaches the field. I watched his highlights from the USC game (as they had a good team) also the Missouri game. He made good and bad throws. Receivers weren't great. He doesn't seem to know the correct velocity to put on the ball every time. His competitiveness makes him antsy in the Pocket and throws with bad Technique some of the time. He doesn't throw deep often enough to evaluate that. Raw but workable. If he was going to a new staff that'd be great as they'd fix his fundamentals. I'd be concerned with the same staff he would be antsy and not improve as much he needs to.

E.J. Manuel. I watched his game against Florida and all I remember thinking of was how much I didn't like him at QB. But I rewatched his tape and saw some more of his work and I can live with him at QB. he has a good arm, tight spiral and was very accurate. Not sure on all of his decision making as I don't know all of the plays he made in regards to the plays called. Wouldn't mind the Bills going with him. I think he would beat out Tarvaris easy.

Tyler Bray, I'll have to evaluate more film on him. I am really concerned with his arm motion just saw about 2-3 minutes of film and hate is a bad word but really was not feeling him. His motion caused him to throw behind the guy and not be perfectly on target. Looks like it's coming from his chest through his shoulder. But Gotta evaluate him more. Talked to a coach who was with him when he took the job away from Sims and talked about how good of a leader he was and a baller.

Tyler Wilson is a guy I want. Can get him in the later rounds but may end up being a great player. He cares about the game and puts the team on his shoulders and will work hard. If you get him in the mid rounds wouldn't be surprised if he has a chip to prove the world wrong and assume he is the starter and conquer the playbook. I want to give him the ball and go win. He has great mechanics and uses the whole field. I know in his senior season his numbers dipped a bit but the staff he played for wasn't the best and he was working hard. He makes bad decisions at times by locking in. Noticed against Ole Miss him throwing into DBL and TRIPLE coverage. I understand smaller hands and may have deep balls that float. Combine numbers were low, People from the senior bowl came across loving him. He has what I feel can get the job done. (I of course really liked Trent Edwards as a QB , but also pegged Kirk Cousins as a good QB when he was splitting time as a Sophomore so I'm not a complete knucklehead. Just mostly). Maybe Wilson won't translate and I'm just wrong. The other scouts get paid a lot more that I. He is a project. His 3yd passes on 3rd and long ticks me off. Will watch more film and can see my opinion on him plausibly changing but not likely. He's a love or hate guy, no one is so so with him. If he is a guy who will take instruction then the sky is the limit.

Landry Jones is just a guy to me. watching his film makes me bored. Maybe good tape on the first day of install which basic slants/outs/flats. Too used to the get it and go approach I don't think h can read at all. When Defenses changed their coverage he just checked down or threw a pick. See no reason why he would be a prospect. Nothing stands out to me. Jason White is a STILL a better QB!

Mike Glennon. Can make all the throws. The good ones and the bad. not a bad prospect coming and not on my bad list. his height is a positive and can do well. People say Flacco like but Flacco has gone to the AFC Championship game a lot and won a superbowl. Mike Glennon Seems like he makes the plays when he needs to but devils advocate would say that his inconsistent play puts him in those positions. he is a pocket guy, which I like. He never relies on his legs so he can read. He did throw INT's and made mistakes. Worth taking a risk on. maybe a 2nd Round Grade but drafted in the First. Could work, may not. will say he has a chance because of his size and his strong arm to do well.

Matt Scott. This guy is athletic and strong arm. I watched 3 games on him. The USC, Nevada, and Stanford... 90% if not more of his throws were being thrown to a stationary target, either in a hitch or back shoulder. A couple of times he rolls out and hits a go on an out route or slant. Both are easy throws and what you throw in warm ups. felt like the few times he threw the seams he struggled. He threw a nice bomb against Nevada but is under thrown. almost all balls are. I see most throws put the receiver having to make a great catch on his throws. Struggles to hit a moving Target. Raw prospect to me. I know you're big on him. But unless I already had a starter I don't see myself drafting or even signing this guy.

Sean Renfree. I like this kid. rewatched the Cincy game. He understnds how to read. Good mechanics on the run. Good motion. knows how to hit his receivers down field. not 100% on decision making. Appears to know how to look defenders off. There are a lot of screens but I like how he understands how to move safties Has a good enough arm. Not a lot of film for me to find other than the bowl game. Good arm strength. Hasn't thrown since getting hurt at the end of the Bowl game causing him to miss the shrine-games, combine, and pro day. Difficult to trust an injury this bad on a throwing shoulder. Preinjury I would love to draft him in 6th-7th round or even late 5th if the move was right. With injury he will have to somehow find a way onto a roster and may not get the chance I would love to see.

Nick Florence. Couldn't find any highlights of him on youtube like the other QB's and saw why. Great QB but decided he won't go pro. Didn't go to pro day and wont enter draft. Wants to finish his masters and enjoy being married. GO HIM

Zac Dysert Wow, never watched this guy play and now seeing his film I'm just getting excited. Man I want this QB on my team right now and watch me win a championship. He looks the part. He plays the part. This is a QB any coach would want to have. He is better than Landry, and Nassib. Can throw the ball down/and across the field. The entire field has to be covered when he is ability to throw the ball, causes defenders to spread leaving someone open. Would call him a system guy if he didn't throw down field so well! Can accurately throw the ball. He did make good plays throwing across his body, throwing into coverage. If he played SEC defenses his numbers may not be as good. his arm strength got him there. Looks to extend plays with their rewards and risk. But with his accuracy throwing at receivers it's pretty awesome. Can see a clear difference to how a QB hitting a Receiver in stride and not making them go back shoulder is a huge plus. Gotta break bad habits such as across body throws/and over throwing. Throws really hard (could be caught sometimes). His hard throws to the sideline sometimes go high. Extending the play causes some turnovers. He does better when sitting in the pocket. You can't deny his heart and what he has done with the program there. If given time to sit for a season or so as a backup Could very possibly be a Mr August. That get's a shot somewhere. Better than Kevin Kolb/Carson Palmer.

My evaluations are not very comparable to that of NFL scouts I know. I have either a draft or don't draft. where they have a round label on the players. I don't know how to do that very well. I love different qb's then most (shaun hill and Kyle Orton) and recognize I'm probably wrong as anyone can be and don't mind being wrong as I will look back and learn on how to become a better coach/evaluator for next time. These are my quick evaluations as you know I didn't watch much film during the season. Did it all today and tried to watch everything with an open mind. (Except Landry I hate this guy) I listened to Mayock after I watched all the highlight films on the players. I'd love to hear your take as I know you've watched more film on these guys then I and saw many at the combine which I'm not able to view right now. We have Spring practice this week so I may not get back to you ASAP, but i will def call you when we near the draft and I've had more time to evaluate film.

It's a cop-out but honestly I can't evaluate Geno Smith so I didn't add him to either list.

My top 5 would be

Matt Barkley - already ready to be a starter but another USC QB with high expectations...May join Palmer, Leinart, Booty, Sanchez, Aaron Corp, as just another guy.

Mike Glennon - Size has it's advantage. Hard to put him up so high but with the weak class and his ceiling for chance to grow he may end up being good.

Zac Dysert - Make him your #2 and plan on him being your QB of the future. May end up being better than Glennon because of going to a better team. (If KC drafts him in the late rounds I would be super happy)

Tyler Wilson/E.J Manuel - Both have great arms but may not work out. Tyler with his decision making and EJ with his ability to read

My bottom 5 form worst to less worse

LANDRY JONES-Get off my TV I hate you. YOU SUCK. Go Work for All-State

Colt McCoy - You came, you played, and no one want's you.

Tarvaris - see above status

Tyler Bray - Bad motion = bad play. Don't see any advantage to having him right now.

Ryan Nassib - underthrown balls with bad velocity don't get it done for me. Which is sad cuz going in I was rooting for him.

(*I'd put Landry Jones twice but Then that means he'd have a place in not dead last! GO AWAY LANDRY)

NOTE *Sean Renfree if he was healthy would loved to have seen his workouts.

Coach Casey Williams

Asst. Coach/Video Coordinator

Hi Casey. So who do you want to be the Bills QB in 2013 ? Let me give you some choices, some realistic and some not so ..

Not in any particular order : Matt Flynn

Colt McCoy

Tarvaris Jackson

Geno Smith, West virginia

Matt Barkley, USC

Ryan Nassib, Syracuse

E.J. Manuel, Florida St.

Tyler Bray, Tennessee

Tyler Wilson, Arkansas

Mike Glennon, North Carolina St.

Landry Jones, Oklahoma

Matt Scott, Arizona

Sean Renfree, Duke

Nick Florence, Baylor

Zac Dysart, Miami, (Oh.)

Someone else.

I know you may not be familiar with them all since you play on Saturdays and don't get to watch as many games as me but if you want to give a top 3-5 and a bottom 3-5 and I'll give you mine and see how close we are. Take your time and get back to me. It's going to be interesting with Jacksonville, Oakland, Philadelphia, Cleveland, Arizona, Buffalo, and possibly the N.Y. Jets all looking @ the QB positions in the first 3 rounds. And the Chiefs may still go QB even with them trading for Alex Smith. Hope things are going well.

If you are available, let's try and hook up during the Draft either by phone or face book etc. and discuss the picks. It's on April 25.... a Thursday. Talk to you soon.

Love, Dad

Why would you be happy if KC drafts dysert in later round?? why not Buffalo??

Very interesting post and I appreciate that your son has some coaching experience in college - That makes him more qualified than most of us.

What stands out to me is how different (qualified) people's views are on these guys. As a very long-time draft follower, I've known for quite some time how "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" when it comes to scouting. The "media" that covers the draft echoes each others views so much that it gives the false impression that there is this very clear ranked list of players that all the teams agree with. I don't think that could be farther from the truth and I hope that folks try to remember that as the draft unfolds. When picks are made that look like "reaches" or players that are highly regarded by the media "slide", try to remember that even different scouts from the same team will view some players radically differently - let alone different team's views of these players.

FWIW, a couple of the draft reporters whom I hold in high regards are former NFL scouts. I have been following Russ Lande for years. I love that he has strong opinions and he is not afraid to go against the grain of most. Of course, he isn't always right, but I know that he has done his research and watched several full games on the prospects and, to me, his NFL scouting experience gives him some credibility. I believe he just accepted a job with the CFL's Montreal Allouettes (sp?) as director of college scouting - so at least some professional football team thinks he has some skill (before those who want to trash it as "just" the CFL, remember that Marv Levy coached there and new Bears' head coach Marc Trestman also coached there).

I also like NFL Networks' Daniel Jeremiah's work. Again, his NFL scouting history lends credibility to his views and I believe that since he is young and trying to establish himself at NFL Network that he is also "doing his homework" scouting these prospects. (More than what I suspect guys like Charley Casserly, Bill Polian etc have done).

It is very interesting to see the above two with professional scouting background differing so much on many prospects. As one example, Lande thinks that Ryan Nassib is worth a high first round pick whereas Jeremiah feels he is a 2nd round prospect.

Your son is added to the list of those who have significant questions about Geno Smith (specifically his accuracy). I don't know what to think about Smith or any of these guys. I know that the need for a QB in Buffalo is very great, but I think they are better off fortifying another position in round 1 (and maybe round 2) than the are taking a shot on any of these QBs.

I do not have time to read this now, but will he be coaching the 2013 season at all? I would like to check his work out. What position or areas does he coach? Is he a film guy or what? I would enjoy sharing a beer with him, especially if he is a defensive mind. Shelby is just 2 hours away.

I do not have time to read this now, but will he be coaching the 2013 season at all? I would like to check his work out. What position or areas does he coach? Is he a film guy or what? I would enjoy sharing a beer with him, especially if he is a defensive mind. Shelby is just 2 hours away.

Creepy

Interesting read, and as OldTimer1960 put it. its good to read what an actual college scout sees from his perspective.

This draft class is about guessing which one will eventually become a solid NFL starter because none of them are as good as Andrew Luck, RG3 or even Ryan Tannehill for that matter. Which makes it far more difficult to evaluate which QB to draft if your team needs a starting QB.

If you are going to draft a developmental QB project, then the QB I like above all others is Tyler Bray from Tenn, a kid who needs some developmental work no question. But he has an elite arm, even more elite then a lot of current starting NFL QB's. When the ball needs to get there in a millisecond its Bray who can get it there. Which is the difference between college and the NFL is the speed at which the game is played. Its the intangibles that are a worry, will this kid work hard to improve is the question.

http://www.buffaloru...eans-everything

Edited by FeartheLosing

Jboy, you getting lonely on the farm :P

It sounds like all of these prospects suck...

Now, there is some analysis. You could charge $ for such insights.

Yes, in my opinion, based on what I've read and seen, all of the QB prospects in this draft come with significant questions about them. Does that mean that none of them will be any good? I don't think that is true, but it is possible that this draft won't yield any good starting QBs.

Great read, thanks for posting

I think Barkley will be the only good QB out of the draft maybe Tyler Wilson if he sits a year or 2

The only guy ready to start day 1 will be Barkley and he can make ALL the throws. 8 Year starter, no clue why people don't like him.

And take Wood in the 2nd to go with him.

Your son gave an excellent analysis. It was also a fun read.

I think your son is too enamored with Flynn. Although there is talk that he is going to the Raiders with the Raiders letting Palmer go. With his release the Cardinals are supposedly interested in his services.

As it stands I have no strong feelings toward any of the prospects other than it is imperative that Nix draft one of them in the first or second round in order to get someone in the pipeline. His hesitancy to pull the trigger on a qb has set this franchise back.

As we are pretty much in accord, I have to say your son did an excellent analysis. I too have come to think Barkley might be the best option for the Bills at #8, and I like both Dysart and Scott as middle round projects.

If he has the time, I think we'd all like to know his take on WRs, LBs and defensive secondary guys.

Why would you be happy if KC drafts dysert in later round?? why not Buffalo??

His twin brother is a Chiefs fan

Will PM you

In your first paragraph it says your son got together with his "Dad Bob Sanders ex Bills asst...". I can't figure it out...are you Bob Sanders or is Bob Sanders his father in law? No disrespect...just can't connect the dots on who Bob Sanders is in this family. Thx

As we are pretty much in accord, I have to say your son did an excellent analysis. I too have come to think Barkley might be the best option for the Bills at #8, and I like both Dysart and Scott as middle round projects.

If he has the time, I think we'd all like to know his take on WRs, LBs and defensive secondary guys.

you can get his complete analysis for only $29.95 by calling toll free 1-800............ :D He's very busy with spring drills this week but I know he loves talking Bills FB. We are in So California but flew with him to the draft on 2004 (his twin brother in 2005). Casey caught the coaching fever and has well surpassed me in knowledge by a long shot.

Also, as to someone's earlier comments......he looked @ youtube as well as Raiders coaching tapes of college QB's Coach Sanders allowed him to peruse.

Again, he is no expert, I just thought you would enjoy his perspective. And I knew he was a Bills fan forever when the Cowboys came back on Monday night against our Bills a few years back TY McKelvin) and he cried for about 5 minutes. i was out of town on business and I was doing the same.

In your first paragraph it says your son got together with his "Dad Bob Sanders ex Bills asst...". I can't figure it out...are you Bob Sanders or is Bob Sanders his father in law? No disrespect...just can't connect the dots on who Bob Sanders is in this family. Thx

Sorry . his friend is Bob Sanders son. So Casey was able to call me with the picks before they were announced last year. Tha was cool.

you can get his complete analysis for only $29.95 by calling toll free 1-800............ :D He's very busy with spring drills this week but I know he loves talking Bills FB. We are in So California but flew with him to the draft on 2004 (his twin brother in 2005). Casey caught the coaching fever and has well surpassed me in knowledge by a long shot.

Also, as to someone's earlier comments......he looked @ youtube as well as Raiders coaching tapes of college QB's Coach Sanders allowed him to peruse.

Again, he is no expert, I just thought you would enjoy his perspective. And I knew he was a Bills fan forever when the Cowboys came back on Monday night against our Bills a few years back TY McKelvin) and he cried for about 5 minutes. i was out of town on business and I was doing the same.

Sorry . his friend is Bob Sanders son. So Casey was able to call me with the picks before they were announced last year. Tha was cool.

Ahhh, I get it now. Thanks Randy.

You guys really do not get my humor yet?

Anyway, Mo. I have a question for him. I am sure he is in contact with many professional scouts through one form or another. I would be curious as to hear what he has to think about the methods that some of the scouts use to evaluate talent, even if they are at a college level. I always thought college recruiting past the top 200 players in the country was sort of a wash - having witnessed plenty of it... but I would be curious to hear his take about finding talent.

Your son gave an excellent analysis. It was also a fun read.

I think your son is too enamored with Flynn. Although there is talk that he is going to the Raiders with the Raiders letting Palmer go. With his release the Cardinals are supposedly interested in his services.

As it stands I have no strong feelings toward any of the prospects other than it is imperative that Nix draft one of them in the first or second round in order to get someone in the pipeline. His hesitancy to pull the trigger on a qb has set this franchise back.

That alone stands out because the Packers stated they let Flynn go because of his "lack of arm strength". http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4949&line=258958&spln=1

Some scouts feel he will be fine tho. If this kid had enough talent to start I suspect Seattle would have done so over a rookie QB. JMO

You guys really do not get my humor yet?

Anyway, Mo. I have a question for him. I am sure he is in contact with many professional scouts through one form or another. I would be curious as to hear what he has to think about the methods that some of the scouts use to evaluate talent, even if they are at a college level. I always thought college recruiting past the top 200 players in the country was sort of a wash - having witnessed plenty of it... but I would be curious to hear his take about finding talent.

Can i have him him PM you.. can you PM me and give me your e-mail ? I'm sure he would be glad too. Again he is not an expert and I think he indicates that on more than one occasion. Just thought you'd like to read his take, guys and gals. P.S. I won't answer anymore questions as I didn't want to be the star of this post but will be glad if you PM so others aren't bothered reading unnecessary stuff

P.S. He learned to say touchdown when Thurman Thomas scored the first TD in the romp over Oakland 51-3

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

That alone stands out because the Packers stated they let Flynn go because of his "lack of arm strength". http://www.rotoworld...e=258958&spln=1

Some scouts feel he will be fine tho. If this kid had enough talent to start I suspect Seattle would have done so over a rookie QB. JMO

The qb issue in Seattle wasn't that Flynn wasn't good but that right from the start Wilson demonstrated that he was going to be a special player. It didn't take the coaching staff very long to recognize what they had with Wilson. I give the HC and staff credit for having the courage to start the rookie over their free agent acquisition.

Edited by JohnC