Active Player Coming Out of the Closet - are you okay with that?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would completely respect a Buffalo Bills player for coming out. Unfortunately, the first player will draw a lot of attention, which could be a significant distraction. Hopefully a player comes out, then is followed quickly by a handful of others on other teams to diffuse the atttention.

I, for one, would probably think more highly of him, and think he was likely one of the toughest players on the team.

Agreed.

I also hope that whomever he is is already considered "tough," because I think it could be a step backward if it was a kicker for example.

I wouldn't want that to reinforce any stereotypes along the lines of "yeah, you can be a gay NFL player... but still a sissy one," or something like that.

Maybe that's shallow to say, but I think it reflects the reality of the situation.

I would completely respect a Buffalo Bills player for coming out. Unfortunately, the first player will draw a lot of attention, which could be a significant distraction. Hopefully a player comes out, then is followed quickly by a handful of others on other teams to diffuse the atttention.

That would be amazing. What better way to combat the ostracization (real or perceived) by being one of many, not just a "token" gay player.

I, for one, would probably think more highly of him, and think he was likely one of the toughest players on the team.

I think it could be a tough guy, a wimp or anywhere in between. I think he should be able to keep his sexuality to himself or be open with it but I don't think coming out itself proves he is tough. I'm sure he will take a lot of grief but also get a lot of positive press. Jackie Robinson was TOUGH. This guy will not be in the same galaxy. That is not a criticism. I think it is good that things like this are easier than they used to be but there is no denying they are easier.

For some pure speculation:

I am pretty good at figuring out and predicting things. For instance I was able to predict 4 straight NBA champions at one time. Not once each year but the next four in a row. Ask Buftex or look it up. In year one I predicted it would be an unusual team for year 3 but I did not know which one. When year 3 rolled around I favored the Mavericks. You know why? Because I saw that Mark Cuban had finally sold out to Stern and joined an ABC TV show called Shark Tank to show his loyalty and help the NBA's broadcast partner.

A few weeks ago I was watching The Office. Jim got called into a conference call with an NFL player as part of the script. That NFL player is far from a top name player. Other than it being Philadelphia and the player being an Eagle there was no connection whatsoever. There were 50 other Eagles whose names could have been used and it didn't have to be an Eagle at all. Instead they used him. Why? Could he be on the verge of making news? We'll see.

P.S. The speculation is just speculation. And I do think whichever player comes out has to have a certain degree of guts to do it. I just don't think they're Jackie Robinson level guts.

There's probably an Adam James joke in here somewhere.....

Or you could just say you bet it is someone who plays for Green Bay.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Does being gay make him any slower, any weaker, or any less able to perform his position skills then before WE KNEW he was gay?

Honestly it is good for gay rights and good for humanity. What a man does behind behind closed doors is his right as long as they are not infringing on anyone elses rights.

I hope his team mates support him and act like mature professionals about it.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

In that article it states that some players are in support of the supreme court overturning Proposition 8 in California. I wonder if any players are in support of the supreme court in not overturning Proposition 8?

Edited by Mark Vader