Charcoal Grills, Home Audio Equipment and/or Wok Heat

Gugny

So I was determined to get a Weber kettle grill this year. I'm having some difficulty in justifying over $300 for a grill, now. I know Weber is a great name and I know they are durable.

I also know there are grills out there that are better than Weber grills.

The purpose of this thread is to get some opinions on the less-expensive charcoal grills like Char-Griller, Char-Broil or Master Forge.

Or if I'm just being stupidly cheap, and should pay more for the Weber, feel free to say that, too.

Thanks.

Edited by Gugny

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I was determined to get a Weber kettle grill this year. I'm having some difficulty in justifying over $300 for a grill, now. I know Weber is a great name and I know they are durable.

The purpose of this thread is to get some opinions on the less-expensive charcoal grills like Char-Griller, Char-Broil or Master Forge.

Or if I'm just being stupidly cheap, and should pay more for the Weber, feel free to say that, too.

Thanks.

you are just being stupidly cheap, and should pay more for the Weber,

you are just being stupidly cheap, and should pay more for the Weber,

+1

I bought a cheap Char-grill for my wife's rental place and it's pretty low end. I wouldn't recommend it for much other than burgers and dogs.

Get the kettle. Mine had a bad weld so I emailed Weber. They asked for pictures which I sent, they sent me a new lid no fuss no muss.

Besides that they work very well and you'll use less charcoal. After you finish your grilling shut the upper and lower vents and the coals are snuffed out. You'll use them again next time.

Also...get yourself a chimney starter if you don't have one. A few pages of newspaper crinkled up & a match is all you need to get your coals started.

Great input so far, gents, thanks. And BB, yeah, I bought a chimney starter last year and it's definitely worth its weight in gold.

Is there an advantage to having a grill that you can adjust the charcoal distance on? That's one of my sources for reluctance in going with the kettle. I've read so much about it and know that the kettle shape, generally, provides the best heat. But the grills where you can lower/raise the charcoal seem pretty convenient.

Thoughts?

Let me preface by saying we grill out a lot. I have a Weber kettle grill (One-Touch 26" version), but I constantly found myself wanting more space for smoking larger cuts of meat (indirect cooking), as well as more cooking area so steaks, veggies, etc., could all fit. There are plenty of varying grills out there, but I ended up going with the Master Forge linked below.

Pros: For the money, it's really well made. Very solid. It has an adjustable coal rack that lets you lower/raise your coals easily, and the heavy door on the front makes it easier to add coals without removing the grates. Adjustable air vents on left and right. Heavy, quality enamel cooking grates are excellent. This is area where Weber falls down with it's usual wirey, easily rusted grate.

There are three cooking grates that slide next to each other left to right. This is cool for the quick sear/move to smoking position. Example: we just did a tri-tip this weekend, which calls for a 3-4 minute sear on each side, then indirect cooking smoked with hickory. You put on only one grate over the coals and leave the other two off the grill. When the grate is hot, sear the meat, then just slide the grate all the way to the right and put your chips on top of the coals and close the lid. When it's time to put in another foil filled with wood chips, you just need to open the hood, pull the old, put in the new, close the cover; no moving the grate with the meat to have access to the coals.

One Con I've come to live with: The area where you slide the grates in is a narrow ledge on the front and back of the grill which, due to a poor design, tends to capture the melted fat. If you don't keep it clean after each meal, it builds up enough to drip. I put a BBQ mat under to catch it, but not before it left a stain.

The Weber is retired now except for the times i need to run two grills at the same time.

http://www.lowes.com...fo=Master Forge

Edited by LABillzFan

Let me preface by saying we grill out a lot. I have a Weber kettle grill (One-Touch 26" version), but I constantly found myself wanting more space for smoking larger cuts of meat (indirect cooking), as well as more cooking area so steaks, veggies, etc., could all fit. There are plenty of varying grills out there, but I ended up going with the Master Forge linked below.

Pros: For the money, it's really well made. Very solid. It has an adjustable coal rack that lets you lower/raise your coals easily, and the heavy door on the front makes it easier to add coals without removing the grates. Adjustable air vents on left and right. Heavy, quality enamel cooking grates are excellent. This is area where Weber falls down with it's usual wirey, easily rusted grate.

There are three cooking grates that slide next to each other left to right. This is cool for the quick sear/move to smoking position. Example: we just did a tri-tip this weekend, which calls for a 3-4 minute sear on each side, then indirect cooking smoked with hickory. You put on only one grate over the coals and leave the other two off the grill. When the grate is hot, sear the meat, then just slide the grate all the way to the right and put your chips on top of the coals and close the lid. When it's time to put in another foil filled with wood chips, you just need to open the hood, pull the old, put in the new, close the cover; no moving the grate with the meat to have access to the coals.

One Con I've come to live with: The area where you slide the grates in is a narrow ledge on the front and back of the grill which, due to a poor design, tends to capture the melted fat. If you don't keep it clean after each meal, it builds up enough to drip. I put a BBQ mat under to catch it, but not before it left a stain.

The Weber is retired now except for the times i need to run two grills at the same time.

http://www.lowes.com...fo=Master Forge

This is the exact grill I was looking at yesterday - and the primary reason I backed off of my Weber kettle kick. Decisions, decisions.

How long have you had the Master Forge?

This is the exact grill I was looking at yesterday - and the primary reason I backed off of my Weber kettle kick. Decisions, decisions.

Just over a year. My Weber is two years old. Not sure if you're looking at Lowes, but I ordered it in the morning and they put it together for me at the store (no charge) and I picked it up in the afternoon.

Many people love their Weber, and there is no question it's a good grill, but after spending countless dollars over the years on various Weber gas grills, smokers, and kettle grills, one thing became clear: Weber is the Bose of outdoor grills.

Sidenote: I JUST last week talked myself out of getting the 36" version of this: http://www.cowboycam...ills.htm#Grills

Stop being cheap and just go buy one of these.

http://www.grillsand...ginal-grill.php

Now that's what I'm talking about. If that grill were a woman, it'd be Kate Upton.

Sidenote: I JUST last week talked myself out of getting the 36" version of this: http://www.cowboycam...ills.htm#Grills

Do you have a woodburning firplace? I have one outside and one inside, and use a tuscan grill from NapaStyle http://grillsinusa2012.wordpress.com/2012/08/20/napa-style-handmade-large-tuscan-hearth-grill/ to cook in them. Only problem is the highest slot for the grate is not really high enough when you use a grate or want to not just use coals, so thinking of going to a blacksmith and getting one custom made.

I sit outside and watch most Bills/Sabres games, almost always have a fire going so this is great

Do you have a woodburning firplace? I have one outside and one inside, and use a tuscan grill from NapaStyle http://grillsinusa20...n-hearth-grill/ to cook in them. Only problem is the highest slot for the grate is not really high enough when you use a grate or want to not just use coals, so thinking of going to a blacksmith and getting one custom made.

I sit outside and watch most Bills/Sabres games, almost always have a fire going so this is great

Not yet. We have a corner in the backyard that has a woodburning fireplace in its future for the past four years, but any home improvements have been going to the interior recently.

I've had a Char-Broiler for about five years and have used it a lot. I love it. Everything about it is heavy duty. It has more cooking space, more side-shelf prep space, the lid is attached, has adjustable coal height, and seems sturdier than the three legged kettle grill. The heavy cast iron grate is a must - I'll never own a chrome wire grill again! I paid $99 for mine, but I think they run closer to $150 now. I'm sure the Weber is lighter if you plan to bring it tailgaiting, though.

I bought a cheap-o charcoal grill from Walmart about 3 years ago, and I can't even remember the name of it. I think I spent like $45 dollars on it here in Alaska, so it would be like $35 in the lower 48. I do a lot of grilling (2-3 times/week), and this thing has held up just fine...even in the arctic winter conditions. Steaks, Ribs, Chicken....whatever. You don't need to spend a ton of money to get a decent grill. If this one breaks, I'll just spend $45 bucks on a brand spankin new one.

Boom!

Not yet. We have a corner in the backyard that has a woodburning fireplace in its future for the past four years, but any home improvements have been going to the interior recently.

We finished the interior pretty much this month. Just replaced all the windows. I've already invisioned where the outdoor kitchen is going. :thumbsup:

I've almost pulled the trigger on one of those more than a few times, maybe this is the year.

I know Jim has different opinion, but I do not love the BGE as a grill. Can not beat it for a smoker/oven though.

Having said that, I will be firing it up today to grill some flank steak and asparagus for dinner. I do have a plumbed Weber Summit Gold as a gas grill as well, but tend to only use that when not enough room on the Egg for side dishes and such.

I really do want one of those grills that burn wood logs and can raise and lower the grate. But got a little too much invested in grills now, might cause a divorce if I spent another dime on a grill.

BTW, I really like this website for all things grilling and smoking, here is their review of charcoal grills

http://amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/grills/charcoal_grill_reviews_and_ratings.html

Edited by plenzmd1

I know Jim has different opinion, but I do not love the BGE as a grill. Can not beat it for a smoker/oven though.

Having said that, I will be firing it up today to grill some flank steak and asparagus for dinner. I do have a plumbed Weber Summit Gold as a gas grill as well, but tend to only use that when not enough room on the Egg for side dishes and such.

I really do want one of those grills that burn wood logs and can raise and lower the grate. But got a little too much invested in grills now, might cause a divorce if I spent another dime on a grill.

BTW, I really like this website for all things grilling and smoking, here is their review of charcoal grills

http://amazingribs.c...nd_ratings.html

I use mine probably more for smoking than grilling. What don't you like about it for grilling? My gripe is the one I've got it kind of small.

I use mine probably more for smoking than grilling. What don't you like about it for grilling? My gripe is the one I've got it kind of small.

#1) User error is too easy..I am a complete dolt and burn my friggen eyebrows off everytime i forget to burp that sucker when on high LOL

#2) Hard to manuever things , i have the large, and still a bit tight.

Edited by plenzmd1

#1) User error is too easy..I am a complete dolt and burn my friggen eyebrows off everytime i forget to burp that sucker when on high LOL

#2) Hard to manuever things , i have the large, and still a bit tight.

Burp it?? Ah, eyebrows are over-rated. And to point #2 I tend to agree. But seeing I typically just cook for two it's not terrible. I have the medium and it is hard to fit a couple of racks of ribs in there.

Burp it?? Ah, eyebrows are over-rated. And to point #2 I tend to agree. But seeing I typically just cook for two it's not terrible. I have the medium and it is hard to fit a couple of racks of ribs in there.

I have a large and do wish it was XL, but it's not a huge issue.

As for the burping, hard to imagine that happening more than once. :lol:

My gripe is the one I've got it kind of small.

That's why I stay away from the BGE. I looked at the XL, looked at my wallet and thought; "Don't need it that much." But then again, I'm an excellent grill master and don't need fancy high-end cooking tools to serve as my culinary crutch. Hell, I hear some of you guys actually had to go to school to learn to cook.

Rookies. :lol:

That's why I stay away from the BGE. I looked at the XL, looked at my wallet and thought; "Don't need it that much." But then again, I'm an excellent grill master and don't need fancy high-end cooking tools to serve as my culinary crutch. Hell, I hear some of you guys actually had to go to school to learn to cook.

Rookies. :lol:

Well there goes your invitation for the feast of a lifetime. :censored:

Weber is the Bose of outdoor grills.

Probably only a handful of us understand what you mean by that :w00t:

I just replaced my 10 year old Perfect Flame grill with the Master Forge from Lowe's. I went for the higher end model that is reportedly a little sturdier in the materials they use - the chacoal pan is more solid and the grates are ceramic coated. Being able to control the height of the charcoals to the gril is key for me - and this grill you can have two fires going at once for different foods. I have only had it about a month - best grill I ever owned!!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=404332-95393-MFJ576PNC&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3878740&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

Thanks.

What's your typical use? Meats, cooking style, etc...

My father's day gift two years ago. The BGE is awesome.

Jesus. I get a shirt every Father's Day!

What's your typical use? Meats, cooking style, etc...

I do a variety. I'm not a fish guy, but my wife and son love it. So I'll do salmon, tuna and scallops all summer long. I grill a lot of veggies with every meal. As far as meats, it's either chicken thighs, breasts, steaks or pork. Sometimes the southern style ribs. Sometimes I'll do a whole roast with indirect heat. So I'm all over the place.

It's really why I'm leaning toward the adjustable charcoal level and larger cooking surface grill. I just think it might be more practical.

Still going back and forth with it.

Does this mean you're paying for the name by buying Bose and/or Weber?

I just replaced my 10 year old Perfect Flame grill with the Master Forge from Lowe's. I went for the higher end model that is reportedly a little sturdier in the materials they use - the chacoal pan is more solid and the grates are ceramic coated. Being able to control the height of the charcoals to the gril is key for me - and this grill you can have two fires going at once for different foods. I have only had it about a month - best grill I ever owned!!

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?partNumber=404332-95393-MFJ576PNC&langId=-1&storeId=10151&productId=3878740&catalogId=10051&cmRelshp=req&rel=nofollow&cId=PDIO1

This looks great. Love the dual charcoal chambers.

What are you a friggen better than the rest of us moron and thinks they are smarter than the average poster here. Take your damn comments and go somewhere else :nana: (Had too based on the other thread)

I must say the Bose Noise Canceling handphones are nice..but sure as chit remember saying the same thing bout Sony TVs back in da day.Hard to find one now a days.

What are you a friggen better than the rest of us moron and thinks they are smarter than the average poster here. Take your damn comments and go somewhere else :nana: (Had too based on the other thread)

I must say the Bose Noise Canceling handphones are nice..but sure as chit remember saying the same thing bout Sony TVs back in da day.Hard to find one now a days.

lol...dont hate the Focker, hate the game

Does this mean you're paying for the name by buying Bose and/or Weber?

I definitely can't speak for the Weber part since I have never looked into them, but yeah, those who are into the audio hobby at all (e.g. LABillzFan, myself, Fezmid, Chknwing, SDS, etc), have a different opinion of Bose products than the general populace. Amar Bose is a marketing genius, and over the years said marketing has resulted in many believing that "Bose is the best". I'm not in the business of begrudging others for their choices in consumer electronics, and I know people who are plenty happy with their Bose gear, but generally speaking their stuff falls well short of other options at any given price point in terms of both value and audio reproduction. The exception may very well be their headphone line, cause I know some of the folks over at the largest headphone forum, head-fi.org, have measured them and found them to be decent for the money. The same can't be said of their speakers and home audio gear, unfortunately.

Count me as one of the handfull!!!

That doesn't surprise me in the least :thumbsup:

I definitely can't speak for the Weber part since I have never looked into them, but yeah, those who are into the audio hobby at all (e.g. LABillzFan, myself, Fezmid, Chknwing, SDS, etc), have a different opinion of Bose products than the general populace. Amar Bose is a marketing genius, and over the years said marketing has resulted in many believing that "Bose is the best". I'm not in the business of begrudging others for their choices in consumer electronics, and I know people who are plenty happy with their Bose gear, but generally speaking their stuff falls well short of other options at any given price point in terms of both value and audio reproduction. The exception may very well be their headphone line, cause I know some of the folks over at the largest headphone forum, head-fi.org, have measured them and found them to be decent for the money. The same can't be said of their speakers and home audio gear, unfortunately.

I am a novice when it comes to audio products. I know that a close friend of mine uses Tannoy speakers at home. He used a set as monitors for recording music, and also uses them in his home stereo.

I am a novice when it comes to audio products. I know that a close friend of mine uses Tannoy speakers at home. He used a set as monitors for recording music, and also uses them in his home stereo.

Tannoys are the real deal for sure. I almost bought a pair of their newest Mercury bookshelf speakers.