Charcoal Grills, Home Audio Equipment and/or Wok Heat

Gugny

I definitely can't speak for the Weber part since I have never looked into them, but yeah, those who are into the audio hobby at all (e.g. LABillzFan, myself, Fezmid, Chknwing, SDS, etc), have a different opinion of Bose products than the general populace. Amar Bose is a marketing genius, and over the years said marketing has resulted in many believing that "Bose is the best". I'm not in the business of begrudging others for their choices in consumer electronics, and I know people who are plenty happy with their Bose gear, but generally speaking their stuff falls well short of other options at any given price point in terms of both value and audio reproduction. The exception may very well be their headphone line, cause I know some of the folks over at the largest headphone forum, head-fi.org, have measured them and found them to be decent for the money. The same can't be said of their speakers and home audio gear, unfortunately.

Just as the smug was clearing you come back.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You dont have to spend big money on a grill, just so it has a cover for the wind . I had mines for about 20 years, clean it out almost everytime i use it.

Lasts forever and cooks great. The only thing i do is buy good charcoal for it. Makes a difference in cooking.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Weber-One-Touch-Silver-22-1-2-in-Charcoal-Kettle-Grill-in-Black-741001/100012014?N=bx8h#.UUyaoByG18E

Edited by Bufcomments

You dont have to spend big money on a grill, just so it has a cover for the wind . I had mines for about 20 years, clean it out almost everytime i use it.

Lasts forever and cooks great. The only thing i do is buy good charcoal for it. Makes a difference in cooking.

http://www.homedepot...8h#.UUyaoByG18E

Last year, I bought a $15-$20 jobber. I wanted to use charcoal for an entire season before I went and spent real money on a bigger/better grill. I took very good care of it - same as you - cleaning it after each use, etc. It's still in good shape and I don't even cover it. It's just small and I have to bend over the whole time I'm using it.

I'm pretty much past wanting to spend $300 on a Weber. Actually, I have no interest in spending $300 on a grill, period.

I'm leaning heavily toward the $200 Master Forge with the adjustable charcoal chambers.

Last year, I bought a $15-$20 jobber. I wanted to use charcoal for an entire season before I went and spent real money on a bigger/better grill. I took very good care of it - same as you - cleaning it after each use, etc. It's still in good shape and I don't even cover it. It's just small and I have to bend over the whole time I'm using it.

I'm pretty much past wanting to spend $300 on a Weber. Actually, I have no interest in spending $300 on a grill, period.

I'm leaning heavily toward the $200 Master Forge with the adjustable charcoal chambers.

Im 6'5 so i had the same problem with bending over it.

But thats an easy fix....just build a wood platform for it. I built one from scratch , a metal top on it so the wood is not exposed to any fire....

holh shite...you guys take better care of a $15 grill than I do my Egg :thumbsup: . Clean it after every use? Wow.

Well .. I just mean I clean the cooking area well and remove the charcoal/ashes.

• 2 weeks later...

So after researching and looking at many different grills, I bought a Stok Charcoal Drum Grill. Basic 22.5" kettle, but a "smarter" grill than the Weber. Also, at $130, less stress on the wallet.

What sold me:

Built-in charcoal chimney

Charcoal basket that contains the charcoal to the inner circle of the drum - this is part of the built in chimney system and can be left in place for indirect cooking on the outer circle, or removed - resulting in the lit coals spreading evenly around the kettle.

It also has a spot underneath to place the hot basket if I choose to remove it.

Cast Iron cooking area

Abilit to hang the lid on the side of the grill

Most of these things are available for Weber grills at an extra cost. I don't know if this will be as durable as a Weber, but the purchase just felt right. I was going to get the $300 Weber with many of the luxuries listed above, along with a work table attached. I'm gonna buy myself a table for 20 bucks or less and ill still have that built-in chimney, which is awesome (broke it in last night).

By the way, bought some Stubb's brand charcoal at Lowe's. same price as the Kingsford. I like the Stubbs better. My son also insisted we buy the "Rub Some Butt" Carolina-style BBQ sauce. $6/bottle, but it is delicious. I put it on some boneless, skinless chicken thighs last night and it had a really nice, unique taste.

http://www.stokgrills.com/grills/drum.php

Link to the grill.

Did a rib roast on the grill the other night. Indirect heat, a mix of hickory and apple wood.

It was !@#$ing aMAZing.

Two days later it was Carolina pulled pork.

It was !@#$ing aMAZing.

Not sure I want to eat it with all that !@#$ing going on.

• 4 months later...

Go Big Green Egg or don't go at all.

I've almost pulled the trigger on one of those more than a few times, maybe this is the year.

Well I'm glad that I never pulled the trigger. Yesterday I was given a brand new BGE as a surprise gift. Is it wrong that I'm more looking forward to smoking ribs, briskets and shoulders on Sundays than I am to be watching the Bills games?

Well I'm glad that I never pulled the trigger. Yesterday I was given a brand new BGE as a surprise gift. Is it wrong that I'm more looking forward to smoking ribs, briskets and shoulders on Sundays than I am to be watching the Bills games?

I'd say the two go hand in hand perfectly...good times!

Congrats on the new egg!

I've looked forward to grilling, smoking and cooking more than the Bills games for a few years now and life is grand!!

I've looked forward to grilling, smoking and cooking more than the Bills games for a few years now and life is grand!!

Nice. I feel like a kid on Christmas. I'm really looking forward to using this thing.

So needless to say I've been doing a lot of internet reading on the BGE. I've come across a lot of great reviews for this accessory pack. Any Egg owners here have any experience with one of these or something similar? It seems like it really provides great versatility and expanded capacity to a BGE

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-customer-combo/

Nice. I feel like a kid on Christmas. I'm really looking forward to using this thing.

So needless to say I've been doing a lot of internet reading on the BGE. I've come across a lot of great reviews for this accessory pack. Any Egg owners here have any experience with one of these or something similar? It seems like it really provides great versatility and expanded capacity to a BGE

http://shop.ceramicg...customer-combo/

I've bought no accessories for mine. It's only for grilling and smoking and the basic grill works fine for me. I have friends that say "I'm renovating my kitchen and I'm getting a $20k Wolf range" thinking that me, a retired chef, weill be impressed. Really?? $20k?? Why? It's all heat. Higher BTU's is not going to make your food taste any better. I can cook with a butane lighter if I have to. :D

I've bought no accessories for mine. It's only for grilling and smoking and the basic grill works fine for me. I have friends that say "I'm renovating my kitchen and I'm getting a $20k Wolf range" thinking that me, a retired chef, weill be impressed. Really?? $20k?? Why? It's all heat. Higher BTU's is not going to make your food taste any better. I can cook with a butane lighter if I have to. :D

Its not guaranteed but it sure as hell can. Wok cooking comes to mind first. Of course you could get the heat necessary for wok hei over a simple charcoal grill or BGE, but thats beside the point!!!!

Ahhh, college. A butane lighter, a chipmunk, some bbq sauce, a hot pot and some Ramen noodles. Only thing missing is a spliff.

You lucky son of a B word. My college dorm meals consisted of a spoon and the can of progresso bread crumbs hidden under my roomies bunk and water. :cry:

Its not guaranteed but it sure as hell can.

Wrong.

http://shop.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-adjustable-rig-customer-combo/

I am with Jim.no accessories for me.......but you need need need the plate setter if you do not have one.

Also, I think the thermometer in the egg sucks...I prolly had this up thread but get one of these..makes for a world of diffence when you actually know the temp of te grill and meat

http://www.maverickhousewares.com/et732.htm

Nope. Try and use a wok on a typical home gas range or electric oven. Are you sure you were a chef?

If I don't have the BTU's to cook with a wok I don't use one. :rolleyes:

My point is extra BTU's don't make the food taste any better. That is the part of my post you highlighted right? Let me ask you, do you like BBQ?

Edited by Chef Jim

We've got the Weber kettle grill and the bullet-smoker.

Damn, summer has been amazing.

Go for the lump charcoal if you can, too. The flavor is even better.

Tannoys are the real deal for sure. I almost bought a pair of their newest Mercury bookshelf speakers.

Focals.

Tannoys not bad. I have a pair of JBLs that I'm real happy with for home listening, and some ADAMs for work.

No I'm not done having fun with people getting into cooking debates with me.

Okay, no problem. Let me know. haha

Focals.

Tannoys not bad. I have a pair of JBLs that I'm real happy with for home listening, and some ADAMs for work.

Nice, those Adams are some fantastic pro monitors...are yours powered?