Charcoal Grills, Home Audio Equipment and/or Wok Heat

Gugny

If I don't have the BTU's to cook with a wok I don't use one. :rolleyes:

My point is extra BTU's don't make the food taste any better. That is the part of my post you highlighted right? Let me ask you, do you like BBQ?

Let me ask you a question since you're insisting on being obtuse or just dense. If you did choose to use a wok on range without the proper BTUs how would your dish taste relative to the same dish cooked on a 50,000 BTU beast with a wok ring?

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let me ask you a question since you're insisting on being obtuse or just dense. If you did choose to use a wok on range without the proper BTUs how would your dish taste relative to the same dish cooked on a 50,000 BTU beast with a wok ring?

You give me one example where a higher BTU stove could make your food taste better using a wok. One cooking style....ONE out of dozens of other cooking methods! And the argument that it will taste better is marginal. I guarantee I can cook a stir fry on an electric stove that will kick that ass of anything you stir fry usuin 50,000 BTU's. Once again the amount of BTU's will not make your food taste any better.

You give me one example where a higher BTU stove could make your food taste better using a wok. One cooking style....ONE out of dozens of other cooking methods! And the argument that it will taste better is marginal. I guarantee I can cook a stir fry on an electric stove that will kick that ass of anything you stir fry usuin 50,000 BTU's. Once again the amount of BTU's will not make your food taste any better.

Sure it will. I already explained how. Give it up, man.

Sure it will. I already explained how. Give it up, man.

You did? You gave me one cooking method where higher BTU's could and I say could have your food taste better. You have not explained what role the higher BTU's play in the seldom used cooking method outside of Asian cooking in making it taste better. While you have one method I have several where using less BTUs will result in better flavors. You telling me in a discussion about cooking to give it up is one of the funnier things I've read here ever and that's a lot. :lol:

Edited by Chef Jim

You did? You gave me one cooking method where higher BTU's could and I say could have your food taste better. You have not explained what role the higher BTU's play in the seldom used cooking method outside of Asian cooking in making it taste better. While you have one method I have several where using less BTUs will result in better flavors. You telling me in a discussion about cooking to give it up is one of the funnier things I've read here ever and that's a lot. :lol:

Can we all agree that higher btus can help for some dishes but generally speaking it only some dishes and learning technique is likely more important than btus for most average cooks? That seems to bridge the gap here, no?

Can we all agree that higher btus can help for some dishes but generally speaking it only some dishes and learning technique is likely more important than btus for most average cooks? That seems to bridge the gap here, no?

Yes. And you don't need to spend $20k on a stove.

I gave you one example which proved your sweeping statement wrong. You don't know how to form and support a logical argument. If you'd like to backtrack and say that wok cooking or any type of searing is the exception to the rule, then thats another argument that you'll likely lose.

Cook me a steak on a grill or pan which can't get hot enough to sear, and I'll serve one with a nice crust and we'll see which is better. Or why don't you make your stir fry over a bic lighter and I'll make mine over a commercial burner with a wok ring and then compare? You started off with an asinine statement. Keep digging.

Or you could just give it up.

I gave you one example which proved your sweeping statement wrong. You don't know how to form and support a logical argument. If you'd like to backtrack and say that wok cooking or any type of searing is the exception to the rule, then thats another argument that you'll likely lose.

Cook me a steak on a grill or pan which can't get hot enough to sear, and I'll serve one with a nice crust and we'll see which is better. Or why don't you make your stir fry over a bic lighter and I'll make mine over a commercial burner with a wok ring and then compare? You started off with an asinine statement. Keep digging.

Well if you didn't get the remark about the bic lighter was a joke then you're a fool. However I'm hear to tell you that I can get just as good sear with lower BTUs as with higher BTUs. How many more BTUs is a $20k stove going to have than a cheap gas stove? Not enough to make your steak taste any better. Hell I've made better black and blue steaks with a butane torch than in a saute pan. But what do I know right.

Well if you didn't get the remark about the bic lighter was a joke then you're a fool. However I'm hear to tell you that I can get just as good sear with lower BTUs as with higher BTUs. How many more BTUs is a $20k stove going to have than a cheap gas stove? Not enough to make your steak taste any better. Hell I've made better black and blue steaks with a butane torch than in a saute pan. But what do I know right.

Hey, you qualified your statement, admitted BTUs play a role in taste, and no longer sound like a nitwit. Knew you could do it.

Hey, you qualified your statement, admitted BTUs play a role in taste, and no longer sound like a nitwit. Knew you could do it.

Thanks I appreciate that. :rolleyes: Now let me make my original point which I did a ****ty job making in the first place. You take your 50,000 BTU blaster stove and I'll take my middle of the road stove and I will cook a meal that will blow anything away meal anyone else here would cook.

Edited by Chef Jim

Thanks I appreciate that. :rolleyes: Now let me make my original point which I did a ****ty job making in the first place. You take your 50,000 BTU blaster stove and I'll take my middle of the road stove and I will cook a meal that will blow anything away meal anyone else here would cook.

I agree with you on that one. Your friend doesn't need a commercial range. Pretty much any technique that requires absurd amounts of heat can be pulled off over a simple charcoal grill. And living in a place like NoCal where its pretty easy to grill all year, theres definitely no reason to drop that kind of cash for the possibility of incremental improvement.

I agree with you on that one. Your friend doesn't need a commercial range. Pretty much any technique that requires absurd amounts of heat can be pulled off over a simple charcoal grill. And living in a place like NoCal where its pretty easy to grill all year, theres definitely no reason to drop that kind of cash for the possibility of incremental improvement.

I may have overstated what they were paying but that was my whole point.

"Hey, look at my new Wolf range! I paid $20k for it. It's the same oven Emril has in HIS restaurants!" :D

"Great, but your food tastes like ****!" :sick:

Oh and this is great timing. This is an email I got just yesterday from a pastry chef friend of mine. She just started a new gig at a local boutique hotel.

I really enjoy making confections, but would much rather do it on a range that doesn't put out the BTU's that this one does--it's VERY hard to cook sugar on it without burning some parts. I got away with it, but it was very close to having to be remade. He says he will get an induction burner for me. Hope it's soon.

:lol:

I may have overstated what they were paying but that was my whole point.

"Hey, look at my new Wolf range! I paid $20k for it. It's the same oven Emril has in HIS restaurants!" :D

"Great, but your food tastes like ****!" :sick:

Oh and this is great timing. This is an email I got just yesterday from a pastry chef friend of mine. She just started a new gig at a local boutique hotel.

:lol:

I don't make it very often, but every time I make flan I pitch out at least one pot of burnt sugar. Why does sugar go from bubbly and white to black and smoldering the second you get bored of watching it?

I don't make it very often, but every time I make flan I pitch out at least one pot of burnt sugar. Why does sugar go from bubbly and white to black and smoldering the second you get bored of watching it?

It's called carryover cooking. Think of the amount of heat it took to get the sugar to caramelize (and no, you don't need a shitload of BTUs to accomplish that LOL). Same reason you pull a roast out when is a little less done than you want. I make a great tart tatin (look it up, no need to go through details here) and there is a fine line between caramelly goodness and bitter burnt sugar ****. You can't walk away when you're making those things.

@ The Battle of New Orleans during the War of 1812... Ask the British if it was unwise to seek cover behind bags of sugar. You know what a hot cannonball will do slicing through fortifications w/sugar... Not exactly a nice sand bag! God Bless Andrew Jackson licking those pesky British! :-)

Didn't the Stones sing a song about burnt sugar?

Hey Buddy... I think I can tie my story into that too. ;-) ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Cook me a steak on a grill or pan which can't get hot enough to sear, and I'll serve one with a nice crust and we'll see which is better.

Bourbon Steak cooks their steak suos-vide....damn fine cooking at that low temp.

And I have a Wolf god damnit.....and all that matters is the RED KNOBS!!!! The knobs are awesome

Bourbon Steak cooks their steak suos-vide....damn fine cooking at that low temp.

And I have a Wolf god damnit.....and all that matters is the RED KNOBS!!!! The knobs are awesome

I was going to bring up sous vide but thought best not to. Low and slow baby...low and slow.