Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

Journeyman football player or professional athlete is a different thing than a dictionary definition of journeyman using just those first two definitions and you know it.

Well yeah.....but Warner doesn't fit into the football definition. He didn't bounce around from team to team due to his lower ability(which is pretty much how I see the football definition as being).

He only fits as a journeyman if you take the strict definition of the word......unless you have a different football definition that you use where he fits right in?

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yeah.....but Warner doesn't fit into the football definition. He didn't bounce around from team to team due to his lower ability(which is pretty much how I see the football definition as being).

He only fits as a journeyman if you take the strict definition of the word......unless you have a different football definition that you use where he fits right in?

And espn!

Warner, 32, proved an incredible rags-to-riches tale. The one-time journeyman out of Northern Iowa emerged from stints in the Arena Football League and the NFL Europe League to lead St. Louis to a Super Bowl XXXIV victory in 1999. He captured league MVP honors that season and also in 2001.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1785927

And cbs sports!

So the Cardinals stunk when Warner signed up with them. He was a journeyman then, looking for a chance to start. Now he's a legitimate MVP candidate looking to top off an illustrious career. I'm sorry, that rules out San Francisco. You saw what happened to Alex Smith there. The same thing could happen to Warner.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/11452684

So the argument is that when a star player gets injured & takes several years to return to their full abilities.....moving teams in that period.....that he becomes a journeyman?

I guess so.....though your quotes stated "one-time journeyman" "He was a journeyman then". Both statements imply that he was not a career journeyman.

To describe Warner as a journeyman is definitely misleading. It implies that he was a journeyman similar to so many others in the league....that his talents were mediocre....good enough to get a job, but not good enough to remain on a team for an extended time. That he was a career journeyman.

Probably better to describe him as a part time journeyman IMO.....but what do I care.....he was never a Bill. :P

I find it hard to believe that there isn't a player on the team that isn't going "wtf is this team doing?" with that signing.

And then the info that his contract may be worth $13M over two years?

I find it hard to believe that any Bills player is saying "WTF is the team doing?" when it's obvious that they signed a veteran player to improve competition at the position.

And why are you willing to accept the $13 million over two years at face value when informed posters are waiting on the contract details which will spell the true story?

I would agree with you if it weren't for two things:

1 - Picking a qb at 8 means they start this year. You don't pay Kolb what you did to expect him to ride the bench.

2 - Nassib will absolutely be there at 8. Because of that, there is no reason for them to meet with all these qbs before the draft, unless this is just in case they drop past round 2

To your first point, you have no idea what Kolb is being paid.

As for your second point, sometimes meetings are for the purposes of a smokescreen. The others times they are doing their due diligence.

Would you prefer the team to overwork and overprepare or underwork and underprepare?

Walter Football.com's Free agent chart.

Seems to me like a smart move. Best available free agent quarterback. Cost a few more bucks than I'd like, but what are you going to do. He fits the west-coast system really well. At the end of the day... I pay good money to watch my beloved Bills win. They are trying to make that happen. I like it. Give it a shot. Better to strike out swinging the bat than watching the pitch hit the catcher's glove.

That being said, I'd like to see a QB in rounds 1 or 2... every year UNTIL THEY HIT A HOME RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the sake of the NFL definition of journeyman, Warner did not follow the typical journeyman path. But if you feel the need to place him in the same category of journeyman as a Fitzpatrick, Dilfer or Edwards......be my guest.

Can you show me where I did that in any of my posts about the topic?

Warner is a journeyman that had success later in his career. I'm not so sure why it so hard for folks to admit.

See Jackson, Fred.

Kevin Kolb is not a better player than Ryan Fitzpatrick. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's worse. That to me is the crux here.

Meh, not really, that team had been in the AFC Championship game 14 months earlier and that QB had won a playoff game just a couple months earlier.

They had detractors, but they weren't universally discounted because of their utter futility like the Bills and Kolb.

Usually, laughingstock teams develop their own premium comic talent. As we well know. :doh:

This is kinda' like the Clippers TRADING for Benoit Benjamin.

Lol! Love the references to Benoit Benjamin and the Braves-in-exile.

I find it hard to believe that any Bills player is saying "WTF is the team doing?" when it's obvious that they signed a veteran player to improve competition at the position.

And why are you willing to accept the $13 million over two years at face value when informed posters are waiting on the contract details which will spell the true story?

Well, apparently you are foreign to a workplace environment if you don't think these guys are questioning this move.

I don't know the details on Kolb's contract, but I do know that it's max is MUCH higher than that of Tarvaris Jackson....who is a more valuable player.

Let's not forget, this team has let A LOT of players go and has not filled many of those holes despite a very favorable buyers market for free agents so if you don't think the players are concerned about how bad this season might get, I think you are naiive.

I know that the article from the newspaper in Minnesota says Kolb and Jackson are basically the same statistically, but that doesn't take into account just HOW brittle Kolb is.

It may turn out that Kolb never plays a snap for Buffalo.....but his presence is an unnecessary subtraction by addition.

I would be interested if anybody here remembers if Steve Young showed signs of greatness while at TB.....or if he appeared to be just another young player with potential. Anybody?

In Young's 2 seasons with Tampa Bay, he outright sucked. Record of 3-16, 11 TD, 21 INT, 55% completions, 6.4 YPA.

He then went to SF and sat behind Montana for 4 seasons before getting a shot to start 5 games, wherein he did well.

Here is an interesting thread with the perspective of Cards fans: http://forums.azcard...ead.php?t=64875

Sounds like we are getting a good QB if he can stay healthy.

Really interesting comments -- seems most of the fans (in that thread, anyway) liked Kolb and think he could be a decent starter. Also somewhat surprising to read an outside fanbase perspective on the Bills' roster -- they seem to think the Bills are closer than certainly many of us do.

Really interesting comments -- seems most of the fans (in that thread, anyway) liked Kolb and think he could be a decent starter. Also somewhat surprising to read an outside fanbase perspective on the Bills' roster -- they seem to think the Bills are closer than certainly many of us do.

I also found that interesting. They appear a pretty mellow fan base based on that data point. Maybe its that gorgeous year round weather ! LOL !

Can you show me where I did that in any of my posts about the topic?

Warner is a journeyman that had success later in his career. I'm not so sure why it so hard for folks to admit.

See Jackson, Fred.

I apologize if I caused offense.

It just that for me, a journeyman player is one that bounces round the league because they are not quite good enough to maintain their roster spot.

When people call Warner a journeyman......in the same manner that one would call Fitzpatrick, Dilfer or Edwards a journeyman.....I feel that it is not a legitimate term to describe him without some sort of qualification attached.

Is this a Kurt Warner thread? :lol:

No. 0:)

In Young's 2 seasons with Tampa Bay, he outright sucked. Record of 3-16, 11 TD, 21 INT, 55% completions, 6.4 YPA.

He then went to SF and sat behind Montana for 4 seasons before getting a shot to start 5 games, wherein he did well.

I was more interested in the reaction of people who actually remember the time well and/or saw him play, as the stats might not reflect his ability at the time, which was not uncommon for the era.

This response from Sisyphean Bills pretty much states that his stats were certainly not reflective of his play at TB.

Had season tickets on the 50 yard line. Steve Young was definitely not the problem with that team.