Bills officially sign QB Kevin Kolb

Holy Christ, this thread has officially gone off the rails.

I have game-rewind, and I watched all of Kolb's 2012 snaps: most of his completions were on crossing routes, or underneath passes to Heap or a running back. Occasionally, he'd go up the seam, but the majority of his passes looked a hell of a lot like the majority of the passes thrown by the guy who just lost his job in Buffalo.

Also, as QB has been the focus of the pre-draft discussion round here and beyond, my big thing this off season has been throwing mechanics--because here's the truth: the best QB's in the league all have about the same arm slot/motion--Philip Rivers being the exception to the rule.

That's why I like Scott, Barkley, Dysert and to a less-extent Nassib/Geno more than other guys in this year's draft, but I digress:

Kolb's throwing motion is JACKED-UP.

I like that bringing him in allays the QB urgency at no. 8, but I have no expectation that we'll see a difference between Kolb and Fitz.

ALSO: I'm a true believer in Mike Pettine (faith, yes). And I truly believe that Fitz, next year, with CJ properly used, and with a defense that's not historically bad, could easily get us to 10-6. So, if Kolb accomplishes the same, please put me on record as being underwhelmed by what perceive to be a lateral move, Fitz to Kolb.

Yes, we will have saved some money (save the cash we had to eat when he was cut), but the plan was to save money by restructuring Fitz in the first place.

So, it's worth repeating: signing Kolb puts as right back to where we were one second before the deed was done with Fitz several weeks ago.

EDIT: I've steered clear of the Matt Scott thread, but know I commented very early saying his "tape" looked favorable, but that praise had nothing to do with his throwing motion.

Edited by taC giB ehT

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you go by what those articles say, they use terms such as

"one-time journeyman"

"he was a journeyman then"

past tense.

That's because I started off the sequence of posts saying that Warner was a journeyman before he even got to the Rams and then was told that wasn't true. ;)

Holy Christ, this thread has officially gone off the rails.

I have game-rewind, and I watched all of Kolb's 2012 snaps: most of his completions were on crossing routes, or underneath passes to Heap or a running back. Occasionally, he'd go up the seam, but the majority of his passes looked a hell of a lot like the majority of the passes thrown by the guy who just lost his job in Buffalo.

Also, as QB has been the focus of the pre-draft discussion round here and beyond, my big thing this off season has been throwing mechanics--because here's the truth: the best QB's in the league all have about the same arm slot/motion--Philip Rivers being the exception to the rule.

That's why I like Scott, Barkley, Dysert and to a less-extent Nassib/Geno more than other guys in this year's draft, but I digress:

Kolb's throwing motion is JACKED-UP.

I like that bringing him in allays the QB urgency at no. 8, but I have no expectation that we'll see a difference between Kolb and Fitz.

ALSO: I'm a true believer in Mike Pettine (faith, yes). And I truly believe that Fitz, next year, with CJ properly used, and with a defense that's not historically bad, could easily get us to 10-6. So, if Kolb accomplishes the same, please put me on record as being underwhelmed by what perceive to be a lateral move, Fitz to Kolb.

Yes, we will have saved some money (save the cash we had to eat when he was cut), but the plan was to save money by restructuring Fitz in the first place.

So, it's worth repeating: signing Kolb puts as right back to where we were one second before the deed was done with Fitz several weeks ago.

EDIT: I've steered clear of the Matt Scott thread, but know I commented very early saying his "tape" looked favorable, but that praise had nothing to do with his throwing motion.

Perfect! X2

Edited by Buftex

Impossible after losing backup Guard Chroise Riljwkfgold in FA.

IMHO, we cannot underplay the importance that the OL was good last year due to (1) Gailey's O friendly offense (2) Levitre's presence (3) Fitz quick throws (whether or not they were accurate is not germane to low number of sacks)

We lost Levitre and Rinehart. As it stand right now, I have no confidence that the protection will be equally stellar. So it remains to be seen if Kolb will be the beneficiary of better OL play. Also, we only have 2 WRs.

IMHO, we cannot underplay the importance that the OL was good last year due to (1) Gailey's O friendly offense (2) Levitre's presence (3) Fitz quick throws (whether or not they were accurate is not germane to low number of sacks)

We lost Levitre and Rinehart. As it stand right now, I have no confidence that the protection will be equally stellar. So it remains to be seen if Kolb will be the beneficiary of better OL play. Also, we only have 2 WRs.

:wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

Rhinegold.

Chas Rhinegold.

Well there does seem to be a difference between Kolb and Fitz. Fitz was an iron man. He took serious physical abuse and rarely missed a snap.

From what I read, Kolb has not been as durable. So FWIW, I suppose it's better that the backup would be TJax instead of pigpen.

Edited by CodeMonkey

The irony of it all is that I can see the following begin to happen this season:

After several years of having a statistically HORRIBLE defense and a statistically AVERAGE offense, the coin is going to flip and our defense will start becoming average while our offense becomes horrible.

Hence, we're eternally stuck at 5-11 through 7-9. :beer::death:

@espn_afceast

Better protection boosts Kevin Kolb's stock http://es.pn/10smEOH

I think this is what many TBD people are missing.

I believe in Kolbs five starts for the Cards last year he was sacked something like 25 times.

If the Bills line can protect him and he gets comfortable in the pocket i think he has the ability to pick teams apart and make the right decisions. He did this in Philly.

The Fitz to Kolb comparison is valid in some regards, i am hoping the change of scenery, a better oline, and better running game will translate into better QB play.

I think this is what many TBD people are missing.

I believe in Kolbs five starts for the Cards last year he was sacked something like 25 times.

If the Bills line can protect him and he gets comfortable in the pocket i think he has the ability to pick teams apart and make the right decisions. He did this in Philly.

The Fitz to Kolb comparison is valid in some regards, i am hoping the change of scenery, a better oline, and better running game will translate into better QB play.

O-line needs to play a lot better this year, RF got absolutely annihilated even though he passed the ball within 2 seconds of getting it every play. Kolb will go down faster than a kid with Vrolik syndrome if he isn't protected.

kolb is one of the few qb signings that would make sense

bills have obviously gone all in on a rookie pick at qb. they will give that pick every chance to start. already got their veteran backup/emergency starter in tjax. now the only advantageous add is a young disappointment that still has a chance to rebound. kolb appears to be that guy

The Bills have created almost an identical situation that we saw play out on Hard Knocks with the Dolphins.

Rumor is Palmer to the cards now so that explains why Kolb became available.

Who knows, maybe Kolb will amount to something in Buffalo. The Bills are due for some good luck.

Kolb was cut because he was owed $10 million a year. Cards didn't want to pay that for a guy like him.

O-line needs to play a lot better this year, RF got absolutely annihilated even though he passed the ball within 2 seconds of getting it every play. Kolb will go down faster than a kid with Vrolik syndrome if he isn't protected.

Dingdingding

Our pass protection is horrible. The only reason Fitz didn't get sacked a lot was because he threw the ball almost instantly, no matter how bad the decision might be.

and more often than not, it was a pretty bad decision. So much for Harvard schooling on a football field.

I disagree that most of his decisions were bad decisions. In fact, I don't think any QB in the league has that distinction.