Bills, Fitzpatrick inch toward $3 million decision

papazoid

The discernible benefit is cash now and cap space in 2014.

Whether or not that is enough benefit is up to personal opinion.

maybe I'm out of the loop, but doesn't that cap hit just get moved around for little actual savings on the cap?

Edited by jeremy2020

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not necessarily. We have to play someone. There is every reason to believe that Fitz is as good or better than TJax, although many will debate this. But in an open competition, with a new offensive minded and open minded HC and OC with no real ties to either, I think Fitz will beat TJax out. A rookie would likely get killed right off the bat. So the worst case scenario may be the best case scenario.

It's even possible, if highly unlikely, that Fitz plays fairly well under a new coach and system. I'm not predicting it, but fans here are so sick of him their perceptions of him are 100% out of whack. Everyone acts like every pass he throws is terrible, when that's not the case, and he makes a bunch of amazing throws every game. And I'm sick of him myself.

How can he play better??

Chan's system was designed just for Fitz, quick passes ,screens ,slants, down the seem passes. Rarely did the Bills throw it long because of Fitz.

Plus on top of learning a new system, they asking him to take less money. To be honest if I were in Fitz's shoes I would force the Bills hand because right now we have nobody better.

Wendsday will be interesting indeed.

TOMMORROW IS "D" DAY FOR FITZ.....

Nix says about Fitzpatrick: "We're still struggling here with our quarterback. I say struggling. We're not really struggling. He's going to have to do something, or we'll have to."

Added Nix: "You can't afford to pay that kind of money to a guy that's fighting for probably a backup job."

And then Nix ended with this on his quarterback situation: "We gotta get one somehow. Bad time to need it."

One of the good things about the call between Buddy and the Tampa GM is that Fitz and his agent know for sure that the Bills are not bluffing.

True that. Maybe nix is smarter than everyone and set this whole thing up just so fitzs agent knows we're for real when we say he's getting cut. Or not.

Cut this bum already. Any leverage with a FA QB is already lost. Everyone knows we're gonna cut his bum a$$

I think Fitz restructures, we draft a QB in rounds 1-2 (Geno, Wilson or Nassib), and then Fitz beats out TJax and the rook in training camp and starts on opening day. How long he lasts before the rookie takes over is anyone's guess. But it's probably before the season is half over.

This is what I don't get... what is the reason for starting Fitz again if he is brought back... I still don't understand having him as a backup either. Let a rookie or TJax start. They are not winning anything this year anyway. Fitz is who he is.

Why delay the inevitable? Fitz is not the future and should have never been viewed as such!

This is what I don't get... what is the reason for starting Fitz again if he is brought back... I still don't understand having him as a backup either. Let a rookie or TJax start. They are not winning anything this year anyway. Fitz is who he is.

Why delay the inevitable? Fitz is not the future and should have never been viewed as such!

Because TJax is not the future either. Because chances are, we are going to draft a QB in the second round and he will be nowhere near ready to play on opening day, and it may well indeed hurt him and the team to throw him to the wolves. I thought Fitz absolutely sucked last year, and I am through with him as a franchise quarterback in the league, and very likely as a starter in this league. BUT, he may still be the very best option we have for the first 5-7 games of the season next year, and he may be a very good back-up to have.

Because TJax is not the future either. Because chances are, we are going to draft a QB in the second round and he will be nowhere near ready to play on opening day, and it may well indeed hurt him and the team to throw him to the wolves. I thought Fitz absolutely sucked last year, and I am through with him as a franchise quarterback in the league, and very likely as a starter in this league. BUT, he may still be the very best option we have for the first 5-7 games of the season next year, and he may be a very good back-up to have.

Yea they really are in no man's land at QB... I'd like to see them take a chance on a QB in the draft.. If he fails so be it - you have to at least try to improve at the most important position. A rook wouldn't be expected to take the team to the big game but show some promise and potential at least... if he is an absolute failure that showed nothing you move on and likely have a top pick next year.

Anyone know tha cap hit if we pay Fitz the 3 mil tomorrow then trade him?

4 Million is an expensive backup but some team might really value it. AZ, SF come to mind. If Seattle lets go of Flynn I could see them interested as well

AZ may be the only team worse that Buffalo in the QB dept. They could use Fitz as a starter. Apparently with his contract he's not even worth a 7th rounder in 2020.

Mark Gaughn just tweeted that Fitz turned down the restructure offer and the Bills and Fitz are headed for divorce.

Just saw this also. There you have it. It appears the Fitz era in Buffalo is indeed over.