Bills, Fitzpatrick inch toward $3 million decision

papazoid

If the Bills cut him before Tuesday, they’ll carry $10 million in dead money. If they cut him on Tuesday after 4:00 p.m. ET with a post-June 1 designation, his cap hit would drop to $3 million this year and $7 million in 2014.

Either way, the Bills would save $7.45 million in cash by moving on. http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/10/bills-fitzpatrick-inch-toward-3-million-decision/

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For someone who is touted as being a "smart QB", you think he would be running to the table to re-negotiate. (rather than get cut and only possibly get another contract)

Jeez, the top rated QB's do it, why can't Fitz ?

If the Bills cut him before Tuesday, they’ll carry $10 million in dead money. If they cut him on Tuesday after 4:00 p.m. ET with a post-June 1 designation, his cap hit would drop to $3 million this year and $7 million in 2014.

Either way, the Bills would save $7.45 million in cash by moving on. http://profootballta...llion-decision/

Fitz will be on this team this season and starting week 1.

Edited by bobobonators

The Fitz decision is less about money (the contract doesn't hamstring anything the Bills want to do) and more about whether the team wants a fresh start.

I'm really on the fence; as much as I know Fitz isn't the answer as a starter, he might be a very good insurance policy if Buffalo drafts a QB and plans to start him. He's also a heluva teammate and not the kind of guy to "Flutie" his successor in the locker room.

Be careful what thee wish for. There is not ANY QB out there that is going to WIN right now. And, if you bring in a rookie, he better be the right one , cause it is going to take 3 years to develop him. The Jets tried that with Sanchez a coupe of years ago with a killer defense and may have made the playoffs 2 year in a row, but the Bills defense is not going to be a top 5 defense in 2013 and they sill have to contend with the Jets, Dolphs, and Pats in their divison plus teams like Broncs, Colts, Ravens Steelers, Texans to Garner a playoff birth. No easy task.

Fitz may not win you many games, but neither will the Bills defense. Fitz was behind an offense last year that put up 21 points pe game without a #1 receiver (no Stevie is not a #1), four of 5 starting offensive lineman and their top 2 reserve OL missing significant time. Mean while, the defense gave up 27 points per game. The only NFL offenses that could have withstood that and won with that defense are the Pats, Broncos, and Saints.

If the Bills defense decides it's time to remove the skirts and don some man pants and a few holes filled, the Bills are easily capable of winning 10 games with Fitz. Whether that's good enough to snatch a playoff spot, that will be determined.

Fitz is staying. The Bills don't have a better option right now and it is they that backed themselves into this corner by signing him way too soon. Releasing Fitz right now would be like playing a game of poker and showing all of your opponents the cards you are holdng in your hand. Teams can and will jump in front of the Bills in rounds 1-3 of the draft if they want a QB. And bringing in any of the FA QBs out there to learn an offense for one yearis just stupid. THrowig good money after bad money.

The Fitz decision is less about money (the contract doesn't hamstring anything the Bills want to do) and more about whether the team wants a fresh start.

I'm really on the fence; as much as I know Fitz isn't the answer as a starter, he might be a very good insurance policy if Buffalo drafts a QB and plans to start him. He's also a heluva teammate and not the kind of guy to "Flutie" his successor in the locker room.

I agree about Fitz's character...But I'm not even sure it's really about Fitz as much as it's about the influence he has with some players still on the roster...And I think it's even more about where this team will be this time next year...Fitz may be the consummate team-first guy...But what about the rest of that locker room (Stevie?) when the Rookie, or TJax, have a couple bad games in a row? That's why I think it's best to just move on...

Honestly...I realize no NFL Team is going to look at it this way publicly...But anything they get in the win column in 2013 is bonus...The Bills need to have laser focus on the long-term future at QB...And that's definitely not Fitz...So...Why not just get it over with? B-)

I think Fitz restructures, we draft a QB in rounds 1-2 (Geno, Wilson or Nassib), and then Fitz beats out TJax and the rook in training camp and starts on opening day. How long he lasts before the rookie takes over is anyone's guess. But it's probably before the season is half over.

I think Fitz restructures, we draft a QB in rounds 1-2 (Geno, Wilson or Nassib), and then Fitz beats out TJax and the rook in training camp and starts on opening day. How long he lasts before the rookie takes over is anyone's guess. But it's probably before the season is half over.

I don't disagree...In fact I think it's likely you're 100% right...But that is definitely filed under my personal "worst-case-scenario." When Fitz gets benched it's sure as heck going to look like we should have just cut our ties and moved on...But we'll see I guess... B-)