Bills, Fitzpatrick inch toward $3 million decision

papazoid

I don't disagree...In fact I think it's likely you're 100% right...But that is definitely filed under my personal "worst-case-scenario." When Fitz gets benched it's sure as heck going to look like we should have just cut our ties and moved on...But we'll see I guess... B-)

Not necessarily. We have to play someone. There is every reason to believe that Fitz is as good or better than TJax, although many will debate this. But in an open competition, with a new offensive minded and open minded HC and OC with no real ties to either, I think Fitz will beat TJax out. A rookie would likely get killed right off the bat. So the worst case scenario may be the best case scenario.

It's even possible, if highly unlikely, that Fitz plays fairly well under a new coach and system. I'm not predicting it, but fans here are so sick of him their perceptions of him are 100% out of whack. Everyone acts like every pass he throws is terrible, when that's not the case, and he makes a bunch of amazing throws every game. And I'm sick of him myself.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

CUT HIS A$$ ALREADY... Whats taking so long, I got sh*t to do.. Lets get this rolling so I can pop some bottles in this b***h time for a celebration...

Not necessarily. We have to play someone. There is every reason to believe that Fitz is as good or better than TJax, although many will debate this. But in an open competition, with a new offensive minded and open minded HC and OC with no real ties to either, I think Fitz will beat TJax out. A rookie would likely get killed right off the bat. So the worst case scenario may be the best case scenario.

It's even possible, if highly unlikely, that Fitz plays fairly well under a new coach and system. I'm not predicting it, but fans here are so sick of him their perceptions of him are 100% out of whack. Everyone acts like every pass he throws is terrible, when that's not the case, and he makes a bunch of amazing throws every game. And I'm sick of him myself.

Every pass he throws is terrible, where you been?? LOL...

What parts of Fitz flat out sucks and will never get us where we need to go regardless of HC or OC is still being missed? I would cut him right now and take a kid in the 2nd and let him battle TJax and go from there.

What parts of Fitz flat out sucks and will never get us where we need to go regardless of HC or OC is still being missed? I would cut him right now and take a kid in the 2nd and let him battle TJax and go from there.

What's being missed, by you apparently, is that we don't know who we may be able to get as a rookie. If we don't take one at #8, and there may be no one worthy of #8, and we can't get a decent trade up, we may not even be able to get a decent one in round two. You don't take a QB in round 2 just because you want a QB if you think he has little chance of being a solid NFL starter. And what's being missed is that, as I said, I would bet you that Fitz beats out TJax in an open competition. So he may well be our best bet, even if he's not very good.

You obviously think TJax is significantly better than Fitz, and you may be right. I don't. But it's not that I think Fitz is very good. And I predict that Fitz would beat him out in an open competition with the coach and OC having no favorite son in the race.

My two cents. If Fitz is unwilling to renegotiate his contract and take a pay cut, the Bills should release him. I don't see our QB of the future anywhere in this year's draft. I would like to see them fill other holes, and get some punching bag to play QB for a year. This will never happen, but I would like to see them do poorly enough in 2013 to get a good QB in next year's draft. Knowing the Bills, however, they will suck, be completely un-entertaining, and still somehow manage to win 6-8 games.

I think Fitz restructures, we draft a QB in rounds 1-2 (Geno, Wilson or Nassib), and then Fitz beats out TJax and the rook in training camp and starts on opening day. How long he lasts before the rookie takes over is anyone's guess. But it's probably before the season is half over.

If he restructures, I say let's pull a fast one and trade him to say Arizona for something!

Wow man, I would expect a more astute analysis from you than that. What " amazing" throws are you talking about? All his TD passes are to wide open receivers. He never fits throws into small windows. And I can't think of any deep throws he completed all season other than the one to Stevie in Indy. And he finished that drive with two or three brutal incompletions inside the Colts 20.

But what it all comes down to is winning. And Fitz while not embarrasingly horrible week after week is just not good enuf to beat anything better than the bad teams in this league. And he can not be counted on to beat the mediocre teams on a consistent basis either. (See games against Tennessee and St Louis) His two minute drill is as bad as any backups in the league, and that is just not acceptable for an NFL starting QB. He just needs to go. With no upside what is the point of keeping him around?

What's being missed, by you apparently, is that we don't know who we may be able to get as a rookie. If we don't take one at #8, and there may be no one worthy of #8, and we can't get a decent trade up, we may not even be able to get a decent one in round two. You don't take a QB in round 2 just because you want a QB if you think he has little chance of being a solid NFL starter. And what's being missed is that, as I said, I would bet you that Fitz beats out TJax in an open competition. So he may well be our best bet, even if he's not very good.

You obviously think TJax is significantly better than Fitz, and you may be right. I don't. But it's not that I think Fitz is very good. And I predict that Fitz would beat him out in an open competition with the coach and OC having no favorite son in the race.

Let me say this again, Fitz sucks as a starting QB and we are going nowhere with him. I would rather go with a young unknown than stick with a guy who I know sucks and will never win us a superbowl. I don't care who we draft, Fitz isn't the answer.

When you know X player isnt the answer you move on... or keep clinging to him like Bills fans do.

Let me say this again, Fitz sucks as a starting QB and we are going nowhere with him. I would rather go with a young unknown than stick with a guy who I know sucks and will never win us a superbowl. I don't care who we draft, Fitz isn't the answer.

When you know X player isnt the answer you move on... or keep clinging to him like Bills fans do.

So you would rather start a rookie #3 draft choice with very little upside and no experience over Fitz. Got it. But I'm sure glad you don't run my favorite team.

So you would rather start a rookie #3 draft choice with very little upside and no experience over Fitz. Got it. But I'm sure glad you don't run my favorite team.

Well all of Fitz's experience tends to show that he has no upside. So maybe if you know for a fact that Fitz is not the answer you give TJAX a shot? At this point what have they got to lose. Plus cutting Fitz now saves cap space in 2014 and real money now.

Basically there are no good answers I guess. Just differing degrees of ****ty ones.

You needn't tell us again what you can't let go of. KTD tried to inform you Fitz was far from the only reason the Bills sucked last year. He was the QB of note that had to play from behind most of the season. A better 'team approach' ie: clock eating run game, decent #2 WR and stout D will make Fitz look a lot better.

Calm down. Noobs with warning points after just 112 posts have longevity issues here.

Well all of Fitz's experience tends to show that he has no upside. So maybe if you know for a fact that Fitz is not the answer you give TJAX a shot? At this point what have they got to lose. Plus cutting Fitz now saves cap space in 2014 and real money now.

Basically there are no good answers I guess. Just differing degrees of ****ty ones.

True. That's the real issue: There are no good options. I have never seen a year where there are no good QBs available for trade, in FA or the draft.

Fitz definitely has an upside: Experience tells us we're just very unlikely to see it come to fruition. Because of the crappy draft class, what I really don't want is to go into the season with Tjax and, say, Zac Dysart as our only QBs. We don't know what is going to be available as a possible trade up in the first round or in the second round. Our scouts are likely to have 2-4 guys they would consider in rounds 1-2. But ALL of those guys may be gone by our choice in round 2 and then what?

That's the only logic to restructuring Fitz and letting him battle it out with TJax. I just don't think TJax is better, he is probably worse (on an average team, with few receiving threats, which is what we are right now).

depends on how you get those warning points

note that mine have never come from berating any individual nor genuinely disrespecting any cultural group. mine are from a philosophical issue of deep importance and a key difference of opinion with those issuing the points. i have earned every one of my points and am proud to have them attached to my account bc im standing up for something vitally relevant

in this case, the issuers are wrong. well intentioned, but wrong nonetheless. i look forward to the day that my campaign results in a banning, when i will serve my time and eventually return exhibiting the exact same behavior. eventually the message will sink in and the points will stop. until then, the struggle continues

It never ceases to amaze me that people want to get rid of a player for no discernible benefit beyond it would make them feel better. There's pills that would do a much better job of that then cutting a player will...

The discernible benefit is cash now and cap space in 2014.

Whether or not that is enough benefit is up to personal opinion.

Take it in the shorts this year, we are rebuilding anyways. Fill in as many holes as you can this offseason with the draft a low-dollar FAs and be ready to pounce on a big dollar FA next year.

Yep, when you shoot your coaching staff and put in a bunch of college guys you are pretty throwing in the towel on the next 2 or 3 seasons, so might as well shoot the QB as well. Complete restart. No Qb, no WRs, no LBs, , what a mess.

The discernible benefit is cash now and cap space in 2014.

Whether or not that is enough benefit is up to personal opinion.

yep. the money thing is a big deal right now. a very big deal. cash and cap both.

We gotta make a decision if Fitzy wont.

I love the guy but if he wont restructurei gotta kick him to the curb.

Unless there is a trade value i have yet to comprehend. Which is entirely possible

yep. the money thing is a big deal right now. a very big deal. cash and cap both.

We gotta make a decision if Fitzy wont.

I love the guy but if he wont restructurei gotta kick him to the curb.

Unless there is a trade value i have yet to comprehend. Which is entirely possible

No team will trade for Fitz with his contract. That is out of the realm of possibility, IMO. It's not huge but it's still 7-8 mil for a back up.

It's hard to imagine he won't restructure. His best if not only chance to start opening day is still in Buffalo, and he likes his teammates and they like him.

No team will trade for Fitz with his contract. That is out of the realm of possibility, IMO. It's not huge but it's still 7-8 mil for a back up.

It's hard to imagine he won't restructure. His best if not only chance to start opening day is still in Buffalo, and he likes his teammates and they like him.

It is difficult to imagine. But still possible