Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rare is the player who can't come back from an ACL injury anymore. It's not a crippling injury now.

Apparently some believe David Nelson went back to the 1960s to have his ACL repaired. That, or they'll support OBD above all else and make claims to validate their opinion.

I liked nelson... thought he was a unique player. not an orthadox shifty slot reciever by any means, but certainly an effective one. As long as we keep levitre and BYRD i guess im ok with it. I have him as our second most effective and RELIABLE pass catcher behind stevie though. They are deff going to add a WR by default though. and the way they are gutting the depth chart it seems like it will be a quality one...at least highly touted.

Maybe he won't be the same after the injury, then again maybe he will.

So why not offer him a tendered contract? A contract like that won't put the Bills in cap hell.

And if things don't work out, they can cut him after training camp or preseason.

How does keeping Nelson hurt the team? Do you think that guys like Kevin Elliot & Chris Hogan have more to offer?

I'm curious about hogan as a fringe guy

lacrosse player that's super raw but marrone tried to ring to Syracuse. 4.47 speed, and 28 bench reps. Senior year (only year of football) he only had 12 catches (3 for tds) and 3 interceptions playing corner. Of course nicknamed "7-11" during hard knocks as he was "always open"

Edited by NoSaint

Maybe he won't be the same after the injury, then again maybe he will.

So why not offer him a tendered contract? A contract like that won't put the Bills in cap hell.

And if things don't work out, they can cut him after training camp or preseason.

How does keeping Nelson hurt the team? Do you think that guys like Kevin Elliot & Chris Hogan have more to offer?

Maybe they were simply doing Nelson a favour. Being not tendered gives him ample opportunity to be picked up by the other 31 teams. If they were certain that he wasn't going to fit into their plans(& I think it quite irrational to think that they haven't got a plan and simply let him go at this point without thought to the depth chart).....it only hurts Nelson to keep him on the roster. It also helps set up an atmosphere of consideration for players at Buffalo....which might factor into getting FAs to sign.

Apparently some believe David Nelson went back to the 1960s to have his ACL repaired. That, or they'll support OBD above all else and make claims to validate their opinion.

You're doing a lot of sniping, but what's your take on Nelson? Is he a difference maker? The Bills have "valued" guys who aren't great players in the past, do you have a beef with them not bringing Nelson back?

Rare is the player who can't come back from an ACL injury anymore. It's not a crippling injury now.

I agree. Too bad modern surgical techniques weren't available for guys like Robert James and Gale Sayers, etc.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

If you are skeptical of something and you're an NFL HC you should review it with your own two eyes on the field live. There is nothing gained from this move at this time. Two seasons, one where he appeared in 15 games but started only 3, nearly 100 catches, over 1,000 yards isn't something that will easily be replaced. And, if it is replaced with a FA signining or high draft pick I still feel that there would be a spot for Nelson to be used situationally as a 3rd or 4th receiver. More to the point that FA or high draft pick could have been used elsewhere on what would be IMO a more critical need.

Keep creating holes and you have more holes to fill.

And with that I've reached my quota in this thread. I can't say it any differently than I already have.

Totally agree. I'm beginning to think that Marone is Gregg Williams II.

You're doing a lot of sniping, but what's your take on Nelson? Is he a difference maker? The Bills have "valued" guys who aren't great players in the past, do you have a beef with them not bringing Nelson back?

I've made my point known earlier in this thread. Here goes once again:

This is a nuanced argument, not solely about the player being a "difference maker". Scheme, cap hit/contract, and ability to replace the player are part of the conversation as well. Either the Bills believed a 1 yr 1.3M contract was too expensive, he didn't fit their plans or a combination of both. We'll see.

At the same time, you can make a rebuild worse by stripping away everything. Nix did it in 2010 when he arrogantly said they'd go from a C2 4-3 to a 3-4. It didn't work. Now, they're overhauling the offense, which means they'll need a QB, 2 WR's (Smith, Graham, and Easley aren't #2s) and perhaps at TE (all good teams have one), and a G (Levitre's gone). That's a lot of personnel moves in one year. Nelson wasn't the problem, nor is 1.3M that outrageous a contract for a possession receiver. Until they prove themselves with a rookie OC and a rookie HC, and a rookie GM, these moves will be questioned.

And if David Nelson can't be counted on to recover from an ACL injury suffered in September, what then of Chandler who had one in December? Both aren't renowned for their speed.

Even if they could "replace" David Nelson with someone comparable - why not have TWO David Nelsons on the roster, if they're both cheap? Then you have TWO young guys who can get open and get first downs. Again, why is it always binary with some of you people? The Bills should stop thinking in terms of replacing positions on their roster and start thinking about ADDING to their roster. It amazes me that some of you folks don't understand this concept... Look at it this way: the Bills could've "replaced" David Nelson with someone better (through the draft or free agency), and then, still, "replaced" Ruvell Martin with David Nelson.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

Even if they could "replace" David Nelson with someone comparable - why not have TWO David Nelsons on the roster, if they're both cheap? Then you have TWO young guys who can get open and get first downs. Again, why is it always binary with some of you people? The Bills should stop thinking in terms of replacing positions on their roster and start thinking about ADDING to their roster. It amazes me that some of you folks don't understand this concept... Look at it this way: the Bills could've "replaced" David Nelson with someone better (through the draft or free agency), and then, still, "replaced" Ruvell Martin with David Nelson.

When you play Madden you realize you are really good at talent evaluation. You see guys like Nelson as expendable because you can sign a 39 yr old WR and do just as good.

I'm having flashbacks of the wailing and knashing of teeth from when we let Josh Reed go....

Would you take Chan Gailey and David Nelson or Marrone and a couple decent pass catching tight ends? Seems to me that those routes against lb's/safeties will be taken by te's in Marrones offense and the number three receiver will need to do a little more.

Can anyone tell me why with all these wonderful measurements Mr Nelson didn't get the #2 spot locked up in the 2011 season and beyond?

The Donald Jones move was kinda expected, this one a little surprising. If healthy, I thought Nelson could really be a clutch receiver and a draft steal. Hopefully they have some big plans for WR, because this roster is so depleted at that position, gotta be the worst in the NFL at this point.

The Donald Jones move was kinda expected, this one a little surprising. If healthy, I thought Nelson could really be a clutch receiver and a draft steal. Hopefully they have some big plans for WR, because this roster is so depleted at that position, gotta be the worst in the NFL at this point.

This draft class seems to be flush with WR talent if what I am reading is correct.

I've made my point known earlier in this thread. Here goes once again:

This is a nuanced argument, not solely about the player being a "difference maker". Scheme, cap hit/contract, and ability to replace the player are part of the conversation as well. Either the Bills believed a 1 yr 1.3M contract was too expensive, he didn't fit their plans or a combination of both. We'll see.

At the same time, you can make a rebuild worse by stripping away everything. Nix did it in 2010 when he arrogantly said they'd go from a C2 4-3 to a 3-4. It didn't work. Now, they're overhauling the offense, which means they'll need a QB, 2 WR's (Smith, Graham, and Easley aren't #2s) and perhaps at TE (all good teams have one), and a G (Levitre's gone). That's a lot of personnel moves in one year. Nelson wasn't the problem, nor is 1.3M that outrageous a contract for a possession receiver. Until they prove themselves with a rookie OC and a rookie HC, and a rookie GM, these moves will be questioned.

And if David Nelson can't be counted on to recover from an ACL injury suffered in September, what then of Chandler who had one in December? Both aren't renowned for their speed.

Right. They are just opening up holes in the roster for no discernible reason.