Bills to let David Nelson walk?

Coach Tuesday

That's it, yes I am equating David Nelson to Marques Colston. Yup. The league is loaded with 6'5"-6'7" WR's who make their living in the inside of the field. And since the Bills will be running a cross between Mike Martz GSOT and Mouse Davis' R&S I can see where there isn't room for a big target who can't break a 4.4 in the 40. :thumbsup:

Oh come now. In one post you're on about "assinine speculation" about average WR salaries, in the next you've got the inside gouge on exactly what offense Marrone and Hackett will be running?

I'm not sure if you should be joining the psychic network or peddling yourself to defensive coordinators.

Marrone didn't think Nelson was a good fit, for whatever reason. Get over it, and while you're at it, get over what else you need to get over.

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This made me chuckle. Both Jones and Nelson are below average WRs in this league. I'm glad the Bills think they can do better.

Nelson was tied for 41st in the NFL in receptions in 2011. He was tied with 2 others for 28th among wide receivers. There are only 32 teams. He shouldn't be out of work long.

Oh come now. In one post you're on about "assinine speculation" about average WR salaries, in the next you've got the inside gouge on exactly what offense Marrone and Hackett will be running?

I'm not sure if you should be joining the psychic network or peddling yourself to defensive coordinators.

Marrone didn't think Nelson was a good fit, for whatever reason. Get over it, and while you're at it, get over what else you need to get over.

Again.....Marrone said he is not making the personnel decisions. Every time the Bills hire a new coach a certain segment of the fanbase projects their own opinions into the mind of the new management. Marrone said he is not making the personnel decisions. Russ re-iterated that Buddy was 100% in charge. When Pettine was hired, he said he would make the defense work around the players he had. Get over yourselves and listen to what they say. :doh:

And by the way, I don't think that the playbook that Nathaniel Hackett got from Jim Kelly was from his Houston Gamblers days. It was sarcasm, son. :lol:

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

Nelson was tied for 41st in the NFL in receptions in 2011. He was tied with 2 others for 28th among wide receivers. There are only 32 teams. He shouldn't be out of work long.

Link or it didn't happen, as Head made of Meat would say.

It is true he was tied for 41st in receptions in 2011. He was 61st in yardage. It's a little hard to understand how a guy can be 41st and 61st in two of the most important WR statistics and wind up 28th overall, but I'm willing to be persuaded by evidence.

If he really has the talent that some here so fervently believe, you're right, he won't be out of work long. Me, I think he might be picked up going into training camp if his rehab is going well. I don't think there's a huge market for WR who've had 1 good year on a very bad team and are coming off significant injury that might keep them out of training camp and hinder them learning a new system/QB, but I could certainly be mistaken.

Time will tell.

By what criterion was he 28th?

Again.....Marrone said he is not making the personnel decisions.

I'm sure there's truth in that statement, but anyone who believes Marrone Pettine and Hackett aren't giving significant input into what current players they want to retain on the roster, is mistaken. Well, on a healthy functional football team they'd be mistaken - perhaps I should reserve judgement since this is the Bills

And by the way, I don't think that the playbook that Nathaniel Hackett got from Jim Kelly was from his Houston Gamblers days. It was sarcasm, son. :lol:

Lesse, you said "The league is loaded with 6'5"-6'7" WR's who make their living in the inside of the field. And since the Bills will be running a cross between Mike Martz GSOT and Mouse Davis' R&S I can see where there isn't room for a big target who can't break a 4.4 in the 40. :thumbsup:"

I think the reasonable inference, since you've been fervent in your defense of Nelson, is that you feel you know just what offense Marrone/Hackett will be running and Nelson would fit like a hand in a glove (you had to boil up something outdated and obscure to find an offensive scheme where he wouldn't fit). Is your application in around the league?

Edited by Hopeful

It is true he was tied for 41st in receptions in 2011. He was 61st in yardage. It's a little hard to understand how a guy can be 41st and 61st in two of the most important WR statistics and wind up 28th overall, but I'm willing to be persuaded by evidence.

If he really has the talent that some here so fervently believe, you're right, he won't be out of work long. Me, I think he might be picked up going into training camp if his rehab is going well. I don't think there's a huge market for WR who've had 1 good year on a very bad team and are coming off significant injury that might keep them out of training camp and hinder them learning a new system/QB, but I could certainly be mistaken.

Time will tell.

I'm sure there's truth in that statement, but anyone who believes Marrone Pettine and Hackett aren't giving significant input into what current players they want to retain on the roster, is mistaken. Well, on a healthy functional football team they'd be mistaken - perhaps I should reserve judgement since this is the Bills

Lesse, you said "The league is loaded with 6'5"-6'7" WR's who make their living in the inside of the field. And since the Bills will be running a cross between Mike Martz GSOT and Mouse Davis' R&S I can see where there isn't room for a big target who can't break a 4.4 in the 40. :thumbsup:"

I think the reasonable inference, since you've been fervent in your defense of Nelson, is that you feel you know just what offense Marrone/Hackett will be running and Nelson would fit like a hand in a glove (you had to boil up something outdated and obscure to find an offensive scheme where he wouldn't fit). Is your application in around the league?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/player/_/stat/receiving/sort/receptions/year/2011/qualified/false/count/41

Subtract the 13 TE's among the top 41 in receptions and there it is.

You think there is "truth" in what Marrone said? How generous of you. Here's the thing: the reason why so many want to attach just Marrone to this decision is because so many aren't-so-sure if they trust the decision making of Buddy Nix. That's what I find funny, and why I am jerking your collective chains about it. Face it, Buddy has already proven to most every Bills fan that he is NOT thinking what they are so the idea that he is making the decisions is a disconcerting one for most.

The league is NOT loaded with 6'5"-6'7" WR that work the middle of the field. Finding comparisons is actually kind of difficult. That's why it is of note that one of them is a star player in the "gulf coast offense" in New Orleans that Marrone was coordinating 4 seasons ago.

You think there is "truth" in what Marrone said? How generous of you. Here's the thing: the reason why so many want to attach just Marrone to this decision is because so many aren't-so-sure if they trust the decision making of Buddy Nix. That's what I find funny, and why I am jerking your collective chains about it. Face it, Buddy has already proven to most every Bills fan that he is NOT thinking what they are so the idea that he is making the decisions is a disconcerting one for most.

It isn't exactly news that on top teams, the GM and the coaching staff work together to evaluate talent and make decisions - maybe not final decisions on which specific player to draft or what to pay, but decisions on what sort of talent and characteristics fit the scheme the coaches plan to run. It's a very strange point to choose for mockery, and really has nothing to do with trusting Nix.

OK, thanks for explaining your statistic. If we don't count TE, Nelson had one year as the #44th WR out of 64 starters. All depends upon what stat we cherry pick.

Is Nelson a good player? He's certainly shown flashes. Will he be snapped up by another team? My prediction is he finds a home by the start of training camp, depending on how his rehab is coming, and probably for a salary less than $1.3 million. Time will tell.

I like your choice of words "jerking your collective chains". It's pretty clear even to me at this point that you aren't interested in actual discussion where people respond to your points and you respond to theirs, rather than inserting whatever "straw man" supports your current hobby horse and serving it up with a side-dish of snark. So I'll leave you to your collective jerking, so to speak.

Time will tell.

You say that Nelson's numbers came for a very bad team, but the 2011 Bills offense was 14th in points and 14th in yards. The Bills had the 8th toughest schedule in the league that year.

Face it, Buddy has already proven to most every Bills fan that he is NOT thinking what they are so the idea that he is making the decisions is a disconcerting one for most.

Geez I certainly hope Nix, a long time professional scout and current GM of a NFL team , isn't thinking the same way a group or buttheads on a message board are whose only collective football experience is drinking beer while watching a game once a week for 16 weeks. If Nix is thinking the same way posters on here are then the Bills are far worse off than I thought.

This made me chuckle. Both Jones and Nelson are below average WRs in this league. I'm glad the Bills think they can do better.

I guess folks are missing the point of my point. These are RFAs. These should be no- brainier tenders, even if they think they can go out and sign bowe or Wallace (which is doubtful).

They're going to end up overpaying for mediocre receivers to fill these same spots. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Roosevelt back too.

You say that Nelson's numbers came for a very bad team, but the 2011 Bills offense was 14th in points and 14th in yards. The Bills had the 8th toughest schedule in the league that year.

[sarcasm]well, you're just cherrypicking statistics to prove your point. That's like comparing Nelson's receptions to other wide receivers in the league. Sure, he looks halfway decent if you skew the data to fit your needs.[/sarcasm]

[sarcasm]well, you're just cherrypicking statistics to prove your point. That's like comparing Nelson's receptions to other wide receivers in the league. Sure, he looks halfway decent if you skew the data to fit your needs.[/sarcasm]

No I'm not. And I actually kind of resent the charge, to be honest.

Nelson performed best when he was being used by Gailey as a 4th WR/ 2nd TE. He was forced into the slot due to injuries and was never a great fit there. If you think back to his best games and times of production, the Bills would line up with 3 WR and Nelson often in the backfield or in motion from the backfield as an H Back type of role. Sometimes inside in a 4 WR set and sometimes lined up as a tight end. This enabled the Bills to get mismatches with Nelson based on his height and cover up his deficiency in speed. As the WR corp diminished due to injuries this scheme no longer really worked in 2011 and his production dropped off. Last year he was injured so early we will not know how he would worked in the slot, but I never liked him as a slot receiver due to lack of speed. Chances are his particualr talenst as a tall slow possession receiver or lightweight TE do not fit what Marrone is intending to do. Gailey's scheme was unique and worked well in early 2011 but they did not have enough horses to sustain it in 2011 and did not start with enough horses last year.

I guess folks are missing the point of my point. These are RFAs. These should be no- brainier tenders, even if they think they can go out and sign bowe or Wallace (which is doubtful).

They're going to end up overpaying for mediocre receivers to fill these same spots. Wouldn't be surprised if we see Roosevelt back too.

Perhaps it's you that's missing the point. The Bills don't seem to want them. They seem to think they can do better. If we're not bringing back Nelson and Jones, what on God's green Earth makes you think we'll bring back Roosevelt? Nelson and Jones will can be easily replaced. Both were good team guys, but far too injury prone on the football field. I've also had the thought that not everyone who blows an ACL recovers completely, especially a 6'5'' gangler like Nelson. Maybe his recovery isn't going as well as everyone hoped? Jones had that undisclosed medical issue too...so who knows why the Bills don't want them back? I don't think we'll miss them very much next season though.

Edited by cantankerous

I'm sure this was discussed somewhere along the way here, but what is the rule that is getting these guys screwed - Jones and Nelson..........Something about undrafted free agents being treated as second rounders for these purposes?

Geez I certainly hope Nix, a long time professional scout and current GM of a NFL team , isn't thinking the same way a group or buttheads on a message board are whose only collective football experience is drinking beer while watching a game once a week for 16 weeks. If Nix is thinking the same way posters on here are then the Bills are far worse off than I thought.

I don't agree with your mean natured over-generalization of Bills fans......fan hate is the worst kind.....but your general point is correct. A lot of fans mistakenly attach their values and opinions to new management. They think they know what Doug Marrone is thinking...even when the man has said quite the opposite.

The proven failures like Buddy......these same people do not want to think that Buddy is making these decisions......again......even though Marrone and Russ have said that Buddy is 100% in charge of personnel AND Buddy has said publicly that he wants to see Stevie Johnson playing the slot receiver position.

Read thru the thread. It's all Marrone's decision, because Marrone doesn't have 3 losing seasons in Buffalo to his name yet. Until proven otherwise, Buddy still calls the shots.

I don't agree with your mean natured over-generalization of Bills fans......fan hate is the worst kind.....but your general point is correct. A lot of fans mistakenly attach their values and opinions to new management. They think they know what Doug Marrone is thinking...even when the man has said quite the opposite.

The proven failures like Buddy......these same people do not want to think that Buddy is making these decisions......again......even though Marrone and Russ have said that Buddy is 100% in charge of personnel AND Buddy has said publicly that he wants to see Stevie Johnson playing the slot receiver position.

Read thru the thread. It's all Marrone's decision, because Marrone doesn't have 3 losing seasons in Buffalo to his name yet. Until proven otherwise, Buddy still calls the shots.

I can gaurantee that Buddy has absolutely NO SAY WHAT SO EVER in what kind of offensive schemes Marrone will implement. None, notta, zilch. And that includes where Marrone lines up his personnel. Whether SJ lines up in the slot or not, it's Marrone's call, regardless of how many times Buddy says he'd like to see SJ in the slot.

GO BILLS!!!

I can gaurantee that Buddy has absolutely NO SAY WHAT SO EVER in what kind of offensive schemes Marrone will implement. None, notta, zilch. And that includes where Marrone lines up his personnel. Whether SJ lines up in the slot or not, it's Marrone's call, regardless of how many times Buddy says he'd like to see SJ in the slot.

GO BILLS!!!

Exactly k-9! You think Buddy envisioned Chan only giving CJ Spiller 388 carries over 3 years after using the 7th overall pick in the draft on that runnin' back? Only 13 carries per season last year when the team's passing game went to hell and Spiller was going off? When the Bills took Spiller it was believed by many that Gailey hand picked Spiller. Gailey wasn't picking the players. Marrone says he is not picking the players. Russ says Buddy has 100% control of personnel. Nobody wants to credit Buddy for the decisions being made.

dumb move by the bills----nelson is a slow,kinda skinny guy who just happens to get open and never drops the ball. ---belitnikoff was a slow,short guy who just happened to get open and never dropped the ball

:worthy::thumbsup: