Byrd Update

iommi

Levitre is way more important then Byrd

Byrd is overrated in a lot of fans eyes simply bc he gets interceptions every now and them but overall is nothing special and offers almost nothing in run support

Levitre on the other hand is the Bills best lineman on a team that finally has a decent line after a decade of slop

A good ballhawk FS is a lot harder to come by than a good OG. IMO.

Therefore, if it comes down to one or the other, I keep Byrd and let levitre walk.

Especially when we just cut george wilson. Letting byrd walk would leave our already questionable secondary in shambles. And pettines defense requires a damn good secondary to be effective.

Byrd needs to be our #1 FA priority this offseason.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Levitre is way more important then Byrd

Byrd is overrated in a lot of fans eyes simply bc he gets interceptions every now and them but overall is nothing special and offers almost nothing in run support

Levitre on the other hand is the Bills best lineman on a team that finally has a decent line after a decade of slop

i agree !!!

byrd is very over rated.....he cant cover a WR, he can't cover a TE, he gets faked out by RB's all the time, does not have closing speed. all he does is basket hang and ball hawk, resulting in a whopping 5 int's......is a mediocre, but improving tackler....still a nice player, but very over rated. he could be easily replaced by a cornerback without a drop off in talent or production.

levitre is a stud.....does absolutely everything well, can power block, runs well and can get out in open on screens, is durable (hasn't missed a game) can play LT .....is our very best O-lineman......if you think any ol guard can replace his level of play......you and i are watching a different game.

i agree !!!

byrd is very over rated.....he cant cover a WR, he can't cover a TE, he gets faked out by RB's all the time, does not have closing speed. all he does is basket hang and ball hawk, resulting in a whopping 5 int's......is a mediocre, but improving tackler....still a nice player, but very over rated. he could be easily replaced by a cornerback without a drop off in talent or production.

levitre is a stud.....does absolutely everything well, can power block, runs well and can get out in open on screens, is durable (hasn't missed a game) can play LT .....is our very best O-lineman......if you think any ol guard can replace his level of play......you and i are watching a different game.

Based on what you just said about Byrd, I'd agree we're watching something different.

You realize Byrd is a safety, not a corner, right??

i agree !!!

You do know that Byrd has 1 less FF since being drafted than Ed Reed has in his entire career, right?

Seriously.. I believe the pro football focus ppl graded him out as the 2nd best safety in football this year behind eric weddle.

That, and the fact the franchise tag number for safeties is so reasonable, leads me to believe nobody should fear Byrd won't be on the roster next season. If they can work out a longer-term deal next week, great, but it's not crucial right now.

If you have to choose between Levitre and Byrd (and I hope we don't) I would take Byrd. I think it's more difficult to find a pro-bowl safety than an above-average guard. Levitre is great, don't get me wrong, but I think the "hit" this team would take would be less if they lost Levitre.

Seriously.. I believe the pro football focus ppl graded him out as the 2nd best safety in football this year behind eric weddle.

Why don't some of you look into that stuff rather than say he's overrated... but that would take research and time

And have the people that say Byrd can't tackle, have they watched the games?!?! Also, how do you force 4 fumbles if your a bad hitter?!?! This is again why I think it's harder to replace Byrd than Levitre. Both are great, Byrd is better at a harder to fill position.

A good ballhawk FS is a lot harder to come by than a good OG. IMO.

Therefore, if it comes down to one or the other, I keep Byrd and let levitre walk.

Especially when we just cut george wilson. Letting byrd walk would leave our already questionable secondary in shambles. And pettines defense requires a damn good secondary to be effective.

Byrd needs to be our #1 FA priority this offseason.

see bold section above. Agree 1000%. He also provides good run support and forces fumbles.

i agree !!!

Couldn't disagree more.

i agree !!!

Wow. Wow to some of these posts.

I second the wow. Just.....wow.

Levitre isn't worth 10 mill a year. I wouldn't franchise him. Byrd, definitely. I see him as the priority, but you never know with Marrone being an OL guy.

You're nuts. I have no idea what you're watching. He's a stud.

I see Byrd as a priority as well. He was by far the best player on our defense last year. He is a good hitter, has good instincts for the ball and I think will only get better with a much better D coordinator, and some upgrades in the defensive players around him. Just because he is not 6'2 and 225 does not mean he can not be one of the best safety's in the league. And with Marrone being an O line guy, maybe he is not that impressed by Levitre. Levitre is a good player don't get me wrong. But he does not dominate his opponent constantly. He is definitely a bit undersized and is no Alan Faneca or Steve Hutchinson in their prime. I think we sign or tag Byrd and if Levitre wants to break the bank, we look elsewhere. I would rather spend big money on a LB, CB, WR and TE than on a left guard. I have a feeling the Bills are thinking that way as well.