Byrd Update

iommi

Yup - we were awful at picking interior lineman 5-10 years ago.

The rest of the league seemed to fair better though, as have our current guys.

I don't think levitre will be easy to replace and I do want to keep him (even at high costs) but I do think many of you are all out of perspective from watching poor choices and poor players at the guard position. It's not the rocket science it once seemed to be.

It may not, but given the number of things that will be in flux, if they can at least say that the O Line is intact it will be a victory for this team. I think the line has developed into a strength of the team and I really hate to see that position just handed to one of the JAGs they have, spending a draft pick and waiting for him to learn, or spending tons of money (maybe just a bit less than Levitre costs) on another guy to plug in.

If Marrone really has other ideas about the kind of line play he wants to see, and it doesn't involve Levitre's skill set, I suppose that's one thing. But after Greggggg I am wary of a guy who comes in and sees his system as paramount over putting good players in position to succeed.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It may not, but given the number of things that will be in flux, if they can at least say that the O Line is intact it will be a victory for this team. I think the line has developed into a strength of the team and I really hate to see that position just handed to one of the JAGs they have, spending a draft pick and waiting for him to learn, or spending tons of money (maybe just a bit less than Levitre costs) on another guy to plug in.

If Marrone really has other ideas about the kind of line play he wants to see, and it doesn't involve Levitre's skill set, I suppose that's one thing. But after Greggggg I am wary of a guy who comes in and sees his system as paramount over putting good players in position to succeed.

Totally understand. Like I said - I'd keep him even at the high prices thrown around.

Just wanted to kick the conversation a bit back towards the middle ground as using guys brought in a decade ago really isn't totally reflective of what guard play was around the league or what our current evaluators have brought in. As you said, they built the interior to a strength (minus the backup center debacle of '11). I give them a bit of latitude with regards to identifying talent. I am a tiny bit concerned that nix might have a touch of the old school "guards are just tackles that failed, you don't pay them big bucks" in him, when the league has evolved it into an important position. He hasn't given me reason to worry hugely about that, but he has an old school streak in him so we will see.