Chan liked Kaepernick what happened?

ALLEN1QB

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I'm convinced that OBD is a joke...but if this is true Chan has changed his story. When he was asked about prospects & potential players in the draft, he said that he didn't like to sit in on those discussions with the GM & scouts. Because his job was to coach the players provided to him and so NOT to have a bias against a player if he & a scout didn't see eye to eye on a prospect. He can't have it both ways...I'm in the theory of B. Parcell's there if I'm going to cook the meal, let me at least shop for the groceries. Chan had it the way he chose and it didn't workout...

Kap & wilson are pocket passer that can also run. You can include Rogers, Big Ben & Brees with this breed (Roth's just slower IMO) but these guys tuck the ball & run if the see man coverage from the def...esp Rodgers.

I really don't care about ability to run. Movement in the pocket and pocket awareness are much more important. That is what makes Brees and Rothlesberger so dangerous.

Again I will take a pocket passer. I am sure they had this arguement when Tarkenton was playing. Even Steve Young was a pocket passer when he won. Mobility can't hurt unless running gets the QB hurt.

I truly feel FO played cutesy. Wanted Kaepernick and misplayed it.

This might be on Buddy. Okay it is.

and i have been thinking on this since that draft.

So the defense failed to save grace and Gailey aged ten fold in one season.

Did i mention how much i dislike Wannstadt ?

Because i do. dislike. wannstadt

I really don't care about ability to run. Movement in the pocket and pocket awareness are much more important. That is what makes Brees and Rothlesberger so dangerous.

Again I will take a pocket passer. I am sure they had this arguement when Tarkenton was playing. Even Steve Young was a pocket passer when he won. Mobility can't hurt unless running gets the QB hurt.

I understand your point but with these aggressive defense's you have to admit that the statuesque pocket passer is now obsolete...the pocket passers that your referring to are not your dad's pocket passer. Hell even heavy-footed Flacco has learned to throw on the move, IMO. Of the traditional QB's that I grew up watching only young Farve & Marino (because quick release & presence in the pocket) could play in this day & time.

I understand your point but with these aggressive defense's you have to admit that the statuesque pocket passer is now obsolete...the pocket passers that your referring to are not your dad's pocket passer. Hell even heavy-footed Flacco has learned to throw on the move, IMO. Of the traditional QB's that I grew up watching only young Farve & Marino (because quick release & presence in the pocket) could play in this day & time.

Totally agree. Brady won with the same players Bledsoe had. Bledsoe had more straight line speed than Brady even given the age difference. But Brady slides in the pocket maybe as good as anyone ever has. Aikman is probably the best example of the last statue QB to win it all. His O-line was great, our D-line was not, and they could run play action any time they wanted.

I was listening to NFL radio earlier and they were talking about Buffalo and Chan. Supposedly Chan was talking about the new type of QB that would emerge in the next 10 years at the combine. He said the qb would be large, able to throw a dart on the run, and able to run but not be a running QB. Then he pointed at Kaepernick and said just like him. The announcer went on to say he was very puzzled why the Chan and the Bills past on him in the draft. He stated that possibly the GM or President were not on the same page with him. Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this.

I think Chan liked Kaepernick but the Bills had him graded in the 3rd round. I think Nix and Co. were all surprised when SF took him in the 2nd.

I think Chan liked Cousins, but the Bills thought he'd fall to them in the 4th round. I think Nix and Co. were all surprised when Washington took him in the 4th after drafting RGIII

Totally agree. Brady won with the same players Bledsoe had. Bledsoe had more straight line speed than Brady even given the age difference. But Brady slides in the pocket maybe as good as anyone ever has. Aikman is probably the best example of the last statue QB to win it all. His O-line was great, our D-line was not, and they could run play action any time they wanted.

IMO opinion there's little to choose from as far as foot speed/movement difference between the two.

However Brady is capable of making lightning quick decisions.

No reason to suspect otherwise.

Except that three of this year's playoff QBs (including one who was a whisker away from winning the Super Bowl in his 10th start) were highly mobile first or second year QBs capable of picking up first downs and scoring TDs with their feet as well as their arms. If you don't think that signifies a serious trend, you probably belong at OBD. The fact is, until this year, there really have been very few "running" QBs in the NFL. As more such QBs get a chance to play (and start) it's safe to say that one or more of them will find themselves winning Super Bowls.

Edited by mannc

Well Fitz is actually pretty mobile ;)

I think the decision was made to focus on the defense and build a care taker offense until they were ready to plug in a guy and go.

Or they thought Kaep would last tunil later in round 2 which IMO is more likely

Fitz might be mobile but he is not accurate and can't make the long throw.

And who's to blame for the lack of running the ball on offense even after drafting a stud RB in the first round of the first draft he was GM for? The same RB that started off averaging over 10 yards a carry though what? 3-4 games.

Yup. Another reason why we should have canned Buddy.

I was listening to NFL radio earlier and they were talking about Buffalo and Chan. Supposedly Chan was talking about the new type of QB that would emerge in the next 10 years at the combine. He said the qb would be large, able to throw a dart on the run, and able to run but not be a running QB. Then he pointed at Kaepernick and said just like him. The announcer went on to say he was very puzzled why the Chan and the Bills past on him in the draft. He stated that possibly the GM or President were not on the same page with him. Just wondering what everyones thoughts were on this.

I think the answer lies in the comments Nix has made multiple times..."If you like a QB in the 3rd you better get him in the 2nd." And he said that a lot and I think they had him targeted for the 3rd that year and a couple of other guys a round later than they went over the last couple of drafts.

Another reason I think we go QB in round 1 this year

I think the answer lies in the comments Nix has made multiple times..."If you like a QB in the 3rd you better get him in the 2nd." And he said that a lot and I think they had him targeted for the 3rd that year and a couple of other guys a round later than they went over the last couple of drafts.

It's all guesswork of course, but I think this is probably right. Buddy felt that the team had to many needs not to take a player that he had rated higher just so they could get a QB. Besides the comment above, he has also since said that he thinks the Bills have filled most of their other major holes- which would lead one to think that he may "reach" for a QB in round 1 or trade picks to try and move up to get one.

I like that Marv model too. You want him, go after him, no matter where he is. Unfortunately, that can backfire and get you guys like Lil Donte over a franchise QB like Cutler!

Marv didn't exactly get it done in the GM role. I'm not sure that his example is one to emulate. The example you site is just one of many gaffes.

Wait so Gailey says he likes a QB, and we never go after him or a guy like him, so it must be Gailey's fault? GM's make the personnel decisions, not HC's.

Round here, sometimes ole Ralph makes those decisions son.

However, Buddy didn't start making that comment (bolded) until this year.

When he said it, it felt almost as though the comment was made as some kind of an acknowledgement to his critics, saying tacitly "I get it now" or "I'll tell the people what they want to hear."

In either case it was in response to the strong feeling that the team had neglected the position and was a self-counterpoint to his earlier mantra that "we don't just want any QB, we want a 10-15 year guy."

FWIW, in the 2010 book, "Blood, Sweat and Chalk," Chan was quoted thus...

"The single wing stuff is going to become the norm in the future. Over the next 10 or 15 years it's going to evolve because the runner-thrower is the kind of quarterback that the college game is producing. You won't find a ton of the six-three, six-four, drop-back passer. They're not in college, so we're not getting them up here...

Pretty soon somebody is going to find an athlete who can run and throw and just take the conventional quarterback off the field."

The 49ers are not a single wing offense but Kaep is the type of running-throwing QB Chan sees becoming more prevalent in the future.

Look, all this talk / speculation about what Chan might have wanted and what Buddy might have wanted is nonsense! Chan Gailey stuck with Fitz because he an offensive moron, plain and simple. Chan tried for 3 years to magically transform Ryan Fitzpatrick into Tom Brady, and failed. 16-32 says it all,

Gailey wanted CJ Spiller in the 2010 draft and stated such months before the draft even took place, he wanted and got his "water bug"! If Gailey had wanted to draft a QB the last 3 years... my take is he would have gotten whatever he wanted for his offense.

Let's face some facts here, if anyone in on the Buffalo Bills staff, in any area, GM, HC, scouts knew that Kaepernick, Wilson or Dalton were going to be even remotely as good as they were, the Bills would have drafted them! They didn't know! So, all we can do as Bills fans is hope Doug Marrone knows how to properly evaluate QB talent, because Nix and Gailey showed us they were both clueless.

Edited by FeartheLosing