Trade with Rams could be a win for both teams

Got_Wood

The Rams made big news last year trading down with the Redskins in a trade that landed Washington RG3. Now after the Rams had a disappointing season, they now find themselves with 2 first round picks at 16 and 22, but may be envious of that top 10 pick they had last season. And good news for them... they can trade up and still keep their 2nd first rounder at pick 22.

The trade would likely be Buffalo's 8th pick overall for the Rams 16th and 46th picks. This would leave Buffalo with picks at 16, 41, and 46. Two high 2nd round picks would allow the Bills to stockpile players they need at multiple positions.

The way I see it, the draft should go down in one of two ways:

1. The Bills take the highest rated player at #8. I think there are some guys worth drafting there: Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore, Dee Milliner, Star Lotulelei, and Jarvis Jones. You could argue that Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, and Keenan Allen would also be worth it here as well.

2. If all of the players the Bills rated high enough for this position are gone, trade down with the Rams. And we pick up that extra 2nd rounder. My opinion is that we need to draft a QB, LB, and TE (a backup Center is also a need). We have too many average players without experience at WR, and I think we need to sign a guy in free agency. There is some serious talent out there to sign as well. You look at Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, and Brian Hartline, and you see some strong possibilities.

At the very least, we've got an intriguing offseason to look forward to.

While good in theory - I really don't see anyone trying to move up in this draft. The difference in talent level between 8 and 16 isn't very much. There's still a lot of time for teams to fall in love with guys. But I see this draft being harder to trade down than most of them. And it's not an easy venture to begin with.

While good in theory - I really don't see anyone trying to move up in this draft. The difference in talent level between 8 and 16 isn't very much. There's still a lot of time for teams to fall in love with guys. But I see this draft being harder to trade down than most of them. And it's not an easy venture to begin with.

I agree. More likely that the Rams would entertain our 1st (8 overall) for their 22 overall, plus their second. I'd probably still do that trade if I were the Bills, but it would depend how things shake out on draft day. There is a looong way to go, and trades like this typically don't happen until draft day. This would enable the Bills to grab a QB, LB and a TE or WR in the top 46 picks. I like it.

Yes, but a team might be enticed if they have a certain position targeted and the difference between the player they want and the next best player at that position is a huge dropoff...then again, this draft seems to be rather devoid of big time players but have a lot of good ones...

I don't understand why the Rams would do this. I like it, because I would feel much better grabbing a guy like Nassib or another QB at 16 then 8 anyway, and I think our first round pick is going to be a QB. But the Rams have MORE holes than we do and there isn't a clear consensus of the top 10 players anyway. I just do not see any "must have" players in this draft, let alone 8 of them. I am sure 3 years for now there is going to be some really good players that came out of this draft, but going into the draft I just do not see guys that teams are going to feel they need to trade up to get. Their are very few guys that are head and shoulders above the other prospects at their respective positions. So they can still get a guy the like a lot at 16 and then have another first and a high 2nd to go with it.

Makes no sense for the Rams IMO so this will never happen.

The question is -- who would the Rams want at #8 that the Bills would not want. There has to be a reason for the Rams to trade up. If one of the top Tackles was available they might.

Rumor is they really like Chance Warmack and may be worried that he's gone by pick 16. Anything is possible. And no this isn't a "Madden Fantasy Trade" scenario.

I could see it if the Rams wanted Keenan Allen or if one of the OT's fell to #8

I also agree with this. Their O-line was hurting this year, and there are a couple OT's worth grabbing in the top of the draft.

and what happens if the guy the Bills want gets picked somewhere between pick 8 and 16 and the Bills are left sitting there with a bag full of crap?

#1 priority this offseason is to find a QB. If their is a QB they like in the first round, they will (and should) take him at 8 rather than playing games trying to get an extra 2nd round pick and losing the guy they want. These types of trades are fun and interesting to discuss on a message board, but they just don't happen in real life.

The Rams made big news last year trading down with the Redskins in a trade that landed Washington RG3. Now after the Rams had a disappointing season, they now find themselves with 2 first round picks at 16 and 22, but may be envious of that top 10 pick they had last season. And good news for them... they can trade up and still keep their 2nd first rounder at pick 22.

The trade would likely be Buffalo's 8th pick overall for the Rams 16th and 46th picks. This would leave Buffalo with picks at 16, 41, and 46. Two high 2nd round picks would allow the Bills to stockpile players they need at multiple positions.

1. The Bills take the highest rated player at #8. I think there are some guys worth drafting there: Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore, Dee Milliner, Star Lotulelei, and Jarvis Jones. You could argue that Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson, and Keenan Allen would also be worth it here as well.

2. If all of the players the Bills rated high enough for this position are gone, trade down with the Rams. And we pick up that extra 2nd rounder. My opinion is that we need to draft a QB, LB, and TE (a backup Center is also a need). We have too many average players without experience at WR, and I think we need to sign a guy in free agency. There is some serious talent out there to sign as well. You look at Dwayne Bowe, Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Danny Amendola, Wes Welker, and Brian Hartline, and you see some strong possibilities.

If you go by the draft pick value chart the Bills pick is worth 1400 and the Rams 16th and 46th picks are worth 1440 so this is feasible.

and what happens if the guy the Bills want gets picked somewhere between pick 8 and 16 and the Bills are left sitting there with a bag full of crap?

#1 priority this offseason is to find a QB. If their is a QB they like in the first round, they will (and should) take him at 8 rather than playing games trying to get an extra 2nd round pick and losing the guy they want. These types of trades are fun and interesting to discuss on a message board, but they just don't happen in real life.

I agree that if there is a guy they absolutely think they need for this team, then grab him. The theory here is that outside of a few stand out guys, this draft is full of 2nd tier talent that can be found as far down as the top of the 2nd round. And if there are several guys the Bills think would fit their team and no one specific they define as "got to have", then the trade down is fine.

If you go by the draft pick value chart the Bills pick is worth 1400 and the Rams 16th and 46th picks are worth 1440 so this is feasible.

I saw that as well. Thanks for validating that this isn't just some Maddenesque teenager concoction. (Although some believe that the draft value chart is worthless as well.)

risky move hoping the guy you want at 8 falls to 16...

upside - you get your guy + a free second round pick

downside - you miss out on the player you had locked in at 8

risk vs reward - I don't like it...

stick to the original plan - draft Barkley with our first pick, Nassib with our second...

And if there are several guys the Bills think would fit their team and no one specific they define as "got to have", then the trade down is fine.

I read this type of statement alot on this board, but I just don't think NFL teams think and act this way, especially when picking in the top of the first round. Especially teams like the Bills have are not playoff teams and have needs at numerous positions. New England does it, but they do it selectively. They have a great team and need to fill one or two positions (mostly backups). So they can slide down, get extra picks and then draft 2-3 guys at a postion of need and hope one of them works. The Bills don't have that luxury. They need to find talent. Specifically and most importantly at QB. Theyre not going to look at the pool of prospects and say "Ah shoot, they're all about the same, lets just trade down and take whoever is left when it is our turn".

stick to the original plan - draft Barkley with our first pick, Nassib with our second...

Sometimes you have to take a risk in order to get the reward.

However if we stick to our original plan, I'd be OK with Barkley, Smith, or Wilson with the first pick. And I would take a guy like Colin Klein later in the draft. Bring on a QB competition.

I too thought this might be a trade possibility with the Rams wanting a OT and a pretty good drop off from Eric Fisher to the third OT

As trade scenarios go this is not a bad one. The Rams need O-lineman and maybe WR's too. There are a few good lineman both tackles and a guard that could be coveted at #8.

There is no QB worth the #8 spot. This team needs at least two LB's, a back-up DB, a TE, a WR, and a QB out of this draft. This draft has no top end talent but lots of juniors that will compress the middle talent upwards. I would trade down twice and get a lower first round pick and an extra secobd and third.

Of course a big splash in FA will change everything and maybe one or two of these QB's distances themself from the rest to be worthy of a pick at 8.

• 4 weeks later...

I still think these guys are an ideal trade partner. They need Warmack, Cooper, or Fisher to fix their awful O-line, and there are several teams that would draft these guys including the Jets, Titans, Chargers, Panthers, Bucs, and Dolphins.

Two scenarios actually work for both teams:

1. We trade the 8th for their 16th and 46th picks

2. We trade our 8th and 41st for the Rams 16th and 22nd

I like the 2 scenario even better. Looking at the value chart we lose some value there, but I think it's a win-win deal. We could grab a QB and WR/LB in the first round, and the Rams get the high-end O-lineman they need in the 1st and then have two 2nd rounders for other players.

I could see St. Louis moving up for a WR like Patterson or Allen if Fisher wants them bad enough. Does anyone remember his reaction last year when he traded back and Blackmon was taken before they had the chance? He was pissed. I could see him wanting to move up this year to get a WR he has his eye on.

Edited by H2o

I like it. The Bills still have a lot of holes and getting three Top 50 players would help tremendously. QB, LB, and WR could all be addressed.

I agree, I like it as well.

In the second scenario we would actually only have 2 top 50 picks, being the 16th and 22nd from the Rams. The Rams would then get our 8th and 41st, while keeping their 46th pick as well. The advantage to us is that we get 2 first rounders. And 8 may be too high for the QB's we want. But 8th is the perfect spot for the Rams to steal a top quality O-lineman from several other teams ahead of them. And they would keep 3 picks in the top 46.

I could see is landing something like Patterson & Manuel, or Nassib & Hopkins. Something like that would would be really nice. It all depends on who we land in free agency in early March that will determine where our draft priorities lay.

Edited by Got_Wood

I like it a lot. There are very few players worth a top 10 pick this year. You need a top 10 pick to be an all-star, not a QB you hope will be good. I see Olgetree being available at 16 due to off field issues, and then drafting a TE (Eifert?!) and QB in the second round (EJ/Wilson/Nassib).

Don't see anyone wanting to get to 8 in this draft

Again, this draft's biggest strength is the O-Line. Joeckel, Fisher, Warmack, and Cooper have O-line hungry teams chomping at the bit to grab one of these guys. Especially when guards like Levitre and Vasquez available on the market will be very expensive. Those guys are worth trading up for. Quarterbacks and Wide Receivers however are not worth the 8th pick. It all comes down to team needs.

Edited by Got_Wood