Does Alex Carrington get better under Pettine? Or regress

because of yet another DC and scheme change?

Alex Carrington was really starting to get it towards the end of last season....would really like to see him take that next step.

Stretch of a topic. Impact of scheme change way overrated, especially on defense. If a guy can play, he can play.

Stretch of a topic. Impact of scheme change way overrated, especially on defense. If a guy can play, he can play.

Hmm disagree strongly here, scheme and coach change often means that it starts to click in the second year, certainly not right of the bat. Especially considering the time it takes to develop LBs and how weak we are there which means new blood incoming on LB. Surely we'll be a far better D next year but I'd seriously doubt it will be top 5 material yet. The year after I'm hopefull though.

because of yet another DC and scheme change?

Alex Carrington was really starting to get it towards the end of last season....would really like to see him take that next step.

I think Carrington will be fine, and I expect to see him continue to improve...I think he's going to get a ton of PT in 2013...He's one of a small handful of players on Defense I'm actually excited about...Like Pettine said they are going to build a Defense around the talent...I'm not worried...Carrington should have a big role... B-)

IM STILL trying to figure out if the defense is going to be a,3-4..4-3...4-4.or a 4-6?

Then you STILL must not be listening to anything Mike Pettine says.

(hint: multiple fronts, multiple looks, not defined as anything in particular)

IM STILL trying to figure out if the defense is going to be a,3-4..4-3...4-4.or a 4-6?

According to Pettine, the answer is 'Yes'. That being said, this team is ill suited for a 3-4. No logical NT and no good linebackers (was Carrington tried at LB?). I think Carrington is one of the few defensive players drafted for the 3-4 that make sense. I think he will start and be a fixture for the Bills defense in 2013. Even more so than Kyle Williams. Carrington is a prototypical 3-4 end who can slide inside on passing downs. Huge jump under Pettine's defense.

I can't imagine anyone getting worse due to Pettine. The fact that we won't line up in a grand total of 3 different alignments during the course of the game will help confuse the offense and our guys will produce better due to that IMO. Watching our alignments last year made me almost as ill as watching fritz throw a deep ball. Every offense knew exactly what we were doing on every play. Read and react. The pressure will be on the opposing offenses now and our talented DLine will reap the benefits.

Btw - it's not a "4-6" it's a "46". The number 46 refers to one of the Bears' safety's jersey number when Buddy Ryan ran this scheme back in 1985. The flexible play of this safety was the key to a lot of the scheme.

They don't really use 6 LB's. Thank goodness, because the Bills don't have 2 LB's worth starting right now. :rolleyes:

Edited by BobChalmers

According to Pettine, the answer is 'Yes'. That being said, this team is ill suited for a 3-4. No logical NT and no good linebackers (was Carrington tried at LB?). I think Carrington is one of the few defensive players drafted for the 3-4 that make sense. I think he will start and be a fixture for the Bills defense in 2013. Even more so than Kyle Williams. Carrington is a prototypical 3-4 end who can slide inside on passing downs. Huge jump under Pettine's defense.

I'm not holding my breath, but I read a report that Troup's back has been fixed. I'm always skeptical of back injuries being fixed, but I was also skeptical of Peyton Manning's neck being fixed. If it's true though there's still an outside shot he could be productive. He looked real strong at first.

The new coaching may actually help Alex. The Jets ran a lot of complex fronts and they put guys in positions to get mismatches. And the guys most helped by their defense were usually bigger guys with quickness and versatility. I think Carrington will be helped, it helps that he played in both 3-4 and 4-3 alignments.

I think he continues to grow . The guy was brought in as a DE to play in a 3/4 but thn he was asked to bulk up to play the position he is now DT.

He is finally figuring out his new position & with a good coach like Pettine i think he just continues to be a good player for the Bills !!

I think he'll do better, not only because of natural progression, but because Pettine can scheme him (or any of the defenders really) to be the free rusher with overloads/fake overloads like he did for some of the Jets that weren't the best at rushing the passer.