Inside tale of Ray Lewis' parking-lot brawl homicide case

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yikes! Some of the things that are posted above just scare me; is football really in the same zip code as assault, perjury, obstruction of justice to the extent that the latter are overlooked because one is good at the former?

What assault? His two friends were acquitted on self defense because there was evidence that Ray and his friends did NOT start the altercation and these guys were waiting for them in the alley. Its also believed they were there to rob Ray. Not to mention, the group that included the two deceased me were carrying guns as they shot at and shot up Ray's limo and also had criminal records. So where do you get assault from?

Edited by Alphadawg7

I agree, what's done is done. But given all that, the guy should have just STFU all these years. He's an incredible phony. The greatest LB (and defensive player of all time) ever, Lawrence Taylor, would laugh at this guy's fake drama. LT was the real deal.

no one better than LT...but Reggie(like a man playing against children) was just as good

What assault? His two friends were acquitted on self defense because there was evidence that Ray and his friends did NOT start the altercation and these guys were waiting for them in the alley. Its also believed they were there to rob Ray. Not to mention, the group that included the two deceased me were carrying guns as they shot at and shot up Ray's limo and also had criminal records. So where do you get assault from?

Given the evidence, it would have been incredibly hard to prove anything other than self-defense. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight if you're looking for trouble, which is what (intent) would be needed to charge them even manslaughter, much less murder. And the driver's recanted statement corroborates that it was Sweeting and Oakley who did the stabbing, not Lewis, although Lewis fought the men.

You have no problem with placing video taping a jets DC in the same category as obstruction of justice in a multiple murder? And Belichick needs to turn his life around?

This place is creepy weird on the Patriots.

While on its face the comparison may seem incongruous, however we are talking Belicheat here so I'm fine with it!

Come one people, this is getting ridiculous. Now its Ray's fault the legal system didn't convict the 2 people believed to have committed the acts? I love all the people condemning Ray do not bring up that his limo was shot at and shot up by the group attacking them...I love that they do no bring up that eye witnesses testified that Ray's group was attacked and not that they attacked them. I love that they do not bring up that they were acquitted through a ruling of SELF DEFENSE not some legal loop hole. I love that no one wants to assign blame to anyone but Ray when there was no evidence or testimony from anyone actually implicating Ray in stabbing someone.

W

Fights happen...so if you are with your friends, and they get jumped with champagne bottles, defend themselves in a way that leaves two attackers dead, then you are also somehow a murderer? Ray may or may not have been throwing punches, but when your group is attacked, you punch back...DOES NOT mean you are a killer just because someone else takes it there.

I promise you that Ray does more for people, his community, out reach, etc in one week than just about anyone on this board will do in their life time. He has committed his life to impacting others positively, being a role model, making a difference, inspiring people, and not just his teammates, everyone around him, his community, his city, his state, and this country, etc. He travels all over all year long to give back. This is a man who made a mistake, learned from his mistakes and youth, owned up to them, changed his life, and went on to be the best man he could be for himself, family, teammates and everyone he comes in contact with. Its an amazing story of redemption and now people also mock his spirituality?

Frankly, I'm sickened by these blithe dismissals of murder. There is obviously no worse crime. Those men were stabbed multiple times, and both were stabbed in the heart. One had a closed casket because his face was so badly beaten. I'm not saying that Lewis is not a better person now. He seems to be, which is good. But two people are still dead and no one was convicted. And Lewis, who was there, was no help to the prosecution.

Edited by dave mcbride

Try mountains of coke, faked drug tests, and underage/hookers. But yes, Ray's act is tiresome.

I would expect not, since he's a MLB and T was an OLB. But every other player is.

LT's legal issues with his hooker were well after he retired--you kno wthis but predictably threw it in anyway.

Given the evidence, it would have been incredibly hard to prove anything other than self-defense. You don't bring a knife to a gun fight if you're looking for trouble, which is what (intent) would be needed to charge them even manslaughter, much less murder. And the driver's recanted statement corroborates that it was Sweeting and Oakley who did the stabbing, not Lewis, although Lewis fought the men.

The men murdered obviously did not have any guns, doc. What's your point there? And there doesn't need to be intent for manslaughter-- " voluntary manslaughter consists of an intentional killing that is accompanied by additional circumstances that mitigate, but do not excuse, the killing. The most common type of voluntary manslaughter occurs when a defendant is provoked to commit the Homicide. It is sometimes described as a heat of passion killing. In most cases, the provocation must induce rage or anger in the defendant, although some cases have held that fright, terror, or desperation will suffice."

These guys brought newly purchased knives to the club. They were attacked outside and then a fight ensued. Two of the attackers were stabbed to death by Sweeting and Oakley--one of them was beaten very badly first. Both were stabbed in the heart and died on the scene. Sweeting and Oakley reportedly both bragged that they each stabbed their guy after getting in the limo. When you beat someone to a pulp ad then stick a knife in their heart, that's not self defense.

Also, the driver's statement directly implicates Lewis in the fight, contradicting Lewis's claim to not have been involved.

Why did the two men who attacked them allow themseoves to be stabbed to death if they had guns? Does this make sense to you?

Edited by Mr. WEO

Again, Yikes!

Sad story and pretty much tells ray stabbed one of the victims and settled out of court and just shows how f up are courts are as money wins but in the end God has power of all !

Directly from the article:

Fassett told the police he’d seen Sweeting, Oakley and Lewis all fighting and provided details that only an eyewitness could know. He said he’d heard Oakley boast, “I stabbed mine,” and Sweeting reply, “I stabbed mine, too.”

Thats two stabbed people and two others, neither of which Ray Lewis, claiming to have stabbed one man each.

Like most posters here state, we have no clue what happened that night, and have no right to speculate. But we can all, or most of us anyways, agree that Ray is not a very good person, I don't really care what

people claim about him. He did try to cover the whole thing up and used his money and influence to help his friends get off, and from all accounts about him, he is a sleaze bag. That my friends is where the problem lies, when he postulates himself and his closeness to God on the sidelines, and acts like he is the next coming of someone special. Faith is a personal thing, and that is how it should be kept, especially when it presents such a contradiction, if he actually lived the faith he espouses, then I might not have such a problem with it.

LT's legal issues with his hooker were well after he retired--you kno wthis but predictably threw it in anyway.

He frequented hookers (although I can't say any were underage) while he was playing. Does that change your opinion? Or is it your standard "he's a great player but doesn't bring attention to himself, so I like him and will excuse his flaws" silly line of thinking?

The men murdered obviously did not have any guns, doc. What's your point there? And there doesn't need to be intent for manslaughter-- " voluntary manslaughter consists of an intentional killing that is accompanied by additional circumstances that mitigate, but do not excuse, the killing. The most common type of voluntary manslaughter occurs when a defendant is provoked to commit the Homicide. It is sometimes described as a heat of passion killing. In most cases, the provocation must induce rage or anger in the defendant, although some cases have held that fright, terror, or desperation will suffice."

These guys brought newly purchased knives to the club. They were attacked outside and then a fight ensued. Two of the attackers were stabbed to death by Sweeting and Oakley--one of them was beaten very badly first. Both were stabbed in the heart and died on the scene. Sweeting and Oakley reportedly both bragged that they each stabbed their guy after getting in the limo. When you beat someone to a pulp ad then stick a knife in their heart, that's not self defense.

Also, the driver's statement directly implicates Lewis in the fight, contradicting Lewis's claim to not have been involved.

Lewis' car was shot at, so obviously someone in their party had guns. Hence the successful "self defense" claim. And again, a folding knife bought at a Sports Authority is hardly a weapon of choice for someone looking for trouble. You see, to stab someone, you need to get up close and personal, meaning there is a high likelihood of getting injured yourself. Unlike a gun which can be fired from a safe distance.

As for the driver's statement, it refutes Lewis' claim that he was watching. So what? Also according to the driver, he didn't stab anyone. So what are you going to charge him with? Fighting?

Sometimes people put themselves into bad situations and pay the price. If they were truly trying to Rob Lewis, they got what was coming to them. Again just because they died, it doesn't mean they were innocent.

He frequented hookers (although I can't say any were underage) while he was playing. Does that change your opinion? Or is it your standard "he's a great player but doesn't bring attention to himself, so I like him and will excuse his flaws" silly line of thinking?

I don't excuse his flaws--and if you are now reduced to frowning upon his visiting prostitutes (I'll give you one guess as to the profession of the woman who was Ray's "date" that night) as an NFL player, I know your out of ammo here.

LT never claimed he was a pious man. He also let his work on the field speak loudly-- He was unapologetic about his life off the field, but pretty harmless.

Lewis' car was shot at, so obviously someone in their party had guns. Hence the successful "self defense" claim. And again, a folding knife bought at a Sports Authority is hardly a weapon of choice for someone looking for trouble. You see, to stab someone, you need to get up close and personal, meaning there is a high likelihood of getting injured yourself. Unlike a gun which can be fired from a safe distance.

As for the driver's statement, it refutes Lewis' claim that he was watching. So what? Also according to the driver, he didn't stab anyone. So what are you going to charge him with? Fighting?

Sometimes people put themselves into bad situations and pay the price. If they were truly trying to Rob Lewis, they got what was coming to them. Again just because they died, it doesn't mean they were innocent.

I would charge him with lying under oath. I would then use this to challenge him as to his role that night, what he did with his clothing and why, and what he told the others to say or not say.

You know what's a "silly line of thinking"? Believing that because a murder victim wasn't an "innocent", then their killing can be justified.

As for the guns---is it your belief that the dead men's friends with the gun watched them get beaten and then finihed off with knives to the hearts, waited for the killers to get into the limo and speed away--and then started firing? Yeah, that's probably what happended. And since the murder victims were unarmed (except for an empty Cristal?? edit: Moet), there goes your "self defense" argument. In fact, one witness said she saw one of the victims "running for his life". Another witnessed the "viscious beating of a victim".. Lewis himself described Oakley pounding (likely stabbing) one victim in the chest and the guy was not fighting back. All justified, right?

And these dead guys were trying to rob Ray as he calmy stood back leaning on his limo, taking in this amuzing tableau? Where does Ray say it was a robbery attempt? Oakley now says that he believes Lewis was targeted "because of the way he was dressed" and that it all started when Lewis had a confrontation with the victims, possibly after one of them called Lewis a name." He also syas he "thinks it was" becuase they wanted to rob them. Why does he think this? He gives no explanation except that they "were standing in a dark alley". Case closed, right Mr. Mason?

The prosecution blew this case. They obviously didn't get testimony from Lewis that would help their case. They should have had a better clue as to what he was going to say, or they should never have offered him the deal.

Edited by Mr. WEO

So, one group of people attacks another group of people, the attacking group of people end up with a couple of deaths, no evidence that Ray was actually involved, and... this turns into Ray is a murderer and a horrible person.

Meh.

I think the way he's played, and the way he's behaved since the incident shows that at the very least, he's turned his life around since then. I'm not at all worried about it.