Alex Smith might be easier to get than expected

Why in the world would we want a QB that was outplayed by Shaun Hill and other backups year in and year out. Gibran Hamdan was a far better QB then Shaun Hill in his time over here so following that line of though we ought to drag Gibran Hamdan out of retirement. Seriously though...NO. Rather take a gamble on Nassib or suffer through another year with Fitz then having Smith.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've seen a few times people saying Alex Smith has no upside. To quote or at least paraphrase The Princess Pride, I don't think that word means what you think it means. He was a #1 overall pick... of course he has upside.

He has a stronger arm than Fitz, is more accurate (on real throws; Fitz's completion % is only what is is because half his passes are screens), he's faster, he has a better record, he turns the ball over less... is there anything he's NOT better at? Fitz has him in Wonderlic (and everyone else), but not by much... Smith is one of few people to have a 40.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but no evidence yet he's a miracle worker. Kaerpernick was fantastic in college. Luck has an excellent year as a pro w/o him. No reason to think Smith isn't just a better QB now and would fall apart without him. I don't think their numbers would be near as comparable if situations were reversed. Fitz cannot make the throws they have Smith make. Smith would benefit greatly from the easy screen passes to Spiller that gets Fitz most of his yards. He has way more ability throwing the ball. Unless he can't read a defense, and his intelligence would suggest he can, I think it would be a clear and marked improvement... not a negligible one.

If Bills love a guy in the draft fine.. if it's just a crap shoot and they take a guy just to take one, they'd be better off with Smith than say Glennon (ugh). The way it looks now, I'd rather have Tajh Boyd or even Aaron Murray before anyone in this draft.

Why in the world would we want a QB that was outplayed by Shaun Hill and other backups year in and year out. Gibran Hamdan was a far better QB then Shaun Hill in his time over here so following that line of though we ought to drag Gibran Hamdan out of retirement. Seriously though...NO. Rather take a gamble on Nassib or suffer through another year with Fitz then having Smith.

Great point. I forgot about Hill outplaying him. Same team and one guy just was better.

I've seen a few times people saying Alex Smith has no upside. To quote or at least paraphrase The Princess Pride, I don't think that word means what you think it means. He was a #1 overall pick... of course he has upside.

He has a stronger arm than Fitz, is more accurate (on real throws; Fitz's completion % is only what is is because half his passes are screens), he's faster, he has a better record, he turns the ball over less... is there anything he's NOT better at? Fitz has him in Wonderlic (and everyone else), but not by much... Smith is one of few people to have a 40.

Harbaugh is a good coach, but no evidence yet he's a miracle worker. Kaerpernick was fantastic in college. Luck has an excellent year as a pro w/o him. No reason to think Smith isn't just a better QB now and would fall apart without him. I don't think their numbers would be near as comparable if situations were reversed. Fitz cannot make the throws they have Smith make. Smith would benefit greatly from the easy screen passes to Spiller that gets Fitz most of his yards. He has way more ability throwing the ball. Unless he can't read a defense, and his intelligence would suggest he can, I think it would be a clear and marked improvement... not a negligible one.

If Bills love a guy in the draft fine.. if it's just a crap shoot and they take a guy just to take one, they'd be better off with Smith than say Glennon (ugh). The way it looks now, I'd rather have Tajh Boyd or even Aaron Murray before anyone in this draft.

In Harbaugh's first coaching stop at the University of San Diego, he had Josh Johnson who threw like 37 tds to 1 int. Then, he had Luck. Then Smith and now Kaepernick. He is hands down the best QB coach in the NFL.

And the league is filled with plenty of NFL #1 picks wash outs: Russell, Carr, George, etc. The 49ers' major flaw was Smith's ability to take the top off a defense. What was Fitz' main inability? Smith's arm is better but not by that much. I won't hate the move if it was for a 4th or less. But he is JAG and I want better than JAG.

Alex Smith = Rob Johnson

Why do some of these fans look for the worst possible quarterbacks in the NFL and suggest the Bills sign this garbage? What's with the obsession of another team's garbage? Smith is worthless. They can't even trade him, he is that bad. If you wait, they will end up giving him his outright release. They have to get rid of usless garbage. A player doesn't get cut unless he STINKS!

Alex Smith = Ryan Fitztrajic :wallbash::doh:

Edited by thebambino

Was Kaepernick that good or was GB defense that bad last night? 49ers should just give away Alex Smith to us, they don't need him! Nothing more than spare parts for the niners.

The 49ers WILL be giving Alex Smith away. The guy stinks, they're not going to keep trash like that on a championship team. They are trying to build a dynasty so they will give him his outright release. The 9ers will find and sign a decent, capable back up QB. Smith is not good enough to back up Kaepernick. :flirt:

And the league is filled with plenty of NFL #1 picks wash outs: Russell, Carr, George, etc. The 49ers' major flaw was Smith's ability to take the top off a defense. What was Fitz' main inability? Smith's arm is better but not by that much. I won't hate the move if it was for a 4th or less. But he is JAG and I want better than JAG.

Living in Northern California, I've seen, heard & read a lot about Alex Smith. One of his main drawbacks has been the unwillingness to throw the ball down the field (although he did it well against the Bills). I've seen many replays where they'd show open receivers say 20 yards down the field and 10 yards down the field. He'd usually take the safer shorter throw. Not a Captain Checkdown like Trent Edwards, just maybe less of a risk taker than Kap. His arm is definitely stronger than Fitz's.

Why do some of these fans look for the worst possible quarterbacks in the NFL and suggest the Bills sign this garbage? What's with the obsession of another team's garbage? Smith is worthless. They can't even trade him, he is that bad. If you wait, they will end up giving him his outright release. They have to get rid of usless garbage. A player doesn't get cut unless he STINKS!

Alex Smith = Ryan Fitztrajic :wallbash::doh:

Why do some of these fans indulge in ridiculous hyperbole, calling every quarterback they don't like "worthless" and "garbage"?

The 49ers will not give Smith his release. They need a quality backup. Fill in the blank: If the 49ers release Smith, their backup will be ______.

When Smith was benched, he was rockin' a 70.2% completion percentage, 8 ypa, 13 TD to 5 INTs. Fitz wasn't close enough to sniff those stats in 2012. Keep in mind I like Fitz and am not high on Smith - not sold that he'd be such a significant improvement as to be worth what the '9ers would likely want for him (see Patriots and Cassel, see Flynn's contract) -- but garbage, he isn't. Or if he is, 1/2-2/3 of the league wants garbage like that.

Edited by Hopeful

Going on a limb here, but I think Fitz would have better #s too if he played on a team with the #1 defense, a top 3 tight end, a deep receiving core, and that is run first. Smith is a caretaker. He played well until his concussion but he isn't asked to win games. Part of the problem with the Bills is we tried to have Fitz win games. There is zero doubt in my mind that Fitz would have had the 49ers in the playoffs as well. Smith threw 17 tds in 16 games last year.

I won't hate Smith but I think it is a lateral move at best. Smith is what he is he, a servicable NFL starter. Well, I'm sick of servicable.

+1

Plus Smith has a good set of WRs/TEs to throw the ball and have the 49ers commit to a Frank Gore led running game. Besides Stevie, we have scrubs as our WRs.

Edited by ganesh

The 49'ers will end up releasing him before March 12th.

I heard a rumor you are throwing a giant beer party for TBD if he isn't. :beer:

Seriously, please explain:

1) who you think would be the 49ers backup QB if they cut Smith this spring?

2) what you think they gain by releasing him before March 12th?

Use small words and speak slowly, cuz I doan gettit.

I'm not saying Smith will be on the 49ers roster next fall - he's getting paid a fairly hefty salary for a backup.

But a healthy QB proven capable of starting in the NFL and taking a team to the playoffs - a lot of teams need that.

If they think they can sign or draft a capable backup, why wouldn't they trade him? It's business.

Edited by Hopeful

I heard a rumor you are throwing a giant beer party for TBD if he isn't. :beer:

Seriously, please explain:

1) who you think would be the 49ers backup QB if they cut Smith this spring?

2) what you think they gain by releasing him before March 12th?

Use small words and speak slowly, cuz I doan gettit.

Now I don't know enough about the 9ers to claim to know what they are thinkin about doing with Smith but I do know that he is guaranteed 8m if he is not cut by April... seems a steep price for a back up but if you weigh it against the fact that Kaep will still be paid off his rookie 2nd round pick contract maybe not?

Bills aren't making the playoffs next year, or I'll say its highly unlikely until they find a franchise QB. Alex Smith isn't the answer and this QB draft class isn't the answer. Most of the vet QBs that could be on the market are back ups, we have that in Fitz. I know we all want our QB now, but he's just not there. Address other needs now in the draft and wait till next year on the QB. Gotta draft the best talent on the board and stay patient on QBs. Can't force it if it ain't there.

Bills aren't making the playoffs next year, or I'll say its highly unlikely until they find a franchise QB. Alex Smith isn't the answer and this QB draft class isn't the answer. Most of the vet QBs that could be on the market are back ups, we have that in Fitz. I know we all want our QB now, but he's just not there. Address other needs now in the draft and wait till next year on the QB. Gotta draft the best talent on the board and stay patient on QBs. Can't force it if it ain't there.

I agree but I wouldn't mind taking a shot on Manuel or Bray in the 4th-5th round range then try to find your franchise guy next year. Brays live arm and talent intrigue me as does Manuels size and rep as footballs equivalent to a gym rat

$8.5MM for a backup QB seems pretty rich. I can't see them paying that price or any other team willing to part with a draft pick and paying that sum when they can get him in FA for less money. I expect he'll get his wish and be released.

They might wait a year to restructure K'nick, but it won't be any longer than that. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened this off-season, especially if they win on Sunday.

I believe under the new collective bargaining agreement, the 49ers cannot re-structure Kaepernick's contract, even if they wanted to, until the end of NEXT season.

Mannc is correct. I only know this because of the recent news about Russell Wilson's contract. Under the new CBA, a player cannot renegotiate a contract until after they complete their 3rd NFL season. So the Seahawks will be paying Wilson peanuts as their starter for the first three years of his career.

As Dibs pointed out, because Kaep comes cheaply, there is still a chance that the Niners retain Smith.

I think there's a 50/50 chance of Smith being retained which is not really going out on a limb but is very different from those who are treating his departure as a forgone conclusion.

The one thing I don't know about is the Niners overall salary situation. Also if the Niners win the Super Bowl, there could be a few players who try to cash in off the victory.

I think the niners would be silly to give up Smith. he is much better than most people here think. he probbly shoulda won the SB for SF last yr-exc for that excruciating nfc championship loss .

Those who compare him to Fitz have a point only until they get to the part about the arm.His arm is stronger---and he is A VERY ACCURATE passer.

He is at least in the middle of the pack of NFL starters.Where Fitz is really toward the bottom.

smith is a quality starter and/or extremely valuable back-up insurance to any team that doesnt wanna see their season go to hell because their starter gets hurt.

Smith stays in SF unless some bad franchise is willing to get fleeced in a trade.........naaa on second thought Smith is still too valuable for that.QBs are too valuable.

Edited by Tcali

Do you not remember how no one chased him in free agency last year?

We know for sure that Miami did.

http://espn.go.com/n...three-year-deal

We don't know how many others did so secretly or were waiting to see if SF re-signed him.

Over the last two years, Smith is 426 for 663, a 64.25% completion percentage, he's thrown 30 TDs and 10 INTs, and has a terrific 1.5 INT percentage, a 7.4 YPA and a QB rating of 95.1. There is nothing even remotely Fitz-like about those numbers.

He also had 6 fourth-quarter comebacks or game-winning drives in 2011 alone.

http://www.pro-footb...player=SmitAl03

This is a guy who's on the rise. He had the bad luck to be on a team that got a better guy. But he's an excellent game manager (Fitz is a poor one, you can't be a game manager and throw lots of INTs) with the ability to throw long and be aggressive when he has to, though he's not Kaepernick at that part of the game. And he's improving.

Edited by Thurman#1

Going on a limb here, but I think Fitz would have better #s too if he played on a team with the #1 defense, a top 3 tight end, a deep receiving core, and that is run first. Smith is a caretaker. He played well until his concussion but he isn't asked to win games. Part of the problem with the Bills is we tried to have Fitz win games. There is zero doubt in my mind that Fitz would have had the 49ers in the playoffs as well. Smith threw 17 tds in 16 games last year.

I won't hate Smith but I think it is a lateral move at best. Smith is what he is he, a servicable NFL starter. Well, I'm sick of servicable.

"Better #'s" is too general a test. Would he be a winning qb? A qb that takes his team to playoffs ? Take his team to a coin toss of getting to super bowl ? No, no I don't believe fitz would.

Look at the highlights from smith: I see a guy with a much better arm, better mechanics, better footwork, can run a more up tempo offense, faster when he takes off running , and more presence on the field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXX9mJAW--Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One thing on smith id like to see a stronger arm down field , but still its better than fitz. But the list of flawless QBs is extremely small.

At end of day, The takeaway about SF defense, harbaugh with QBs and smith, should be a focus on building a dominant defense, a coach that can get the best out of QBs, and a QB that can win with the setup. Smith has shown he can, and IMO its obvious his skills are superior to fitz, who IMO wouldn't be sucessful on the 9ers.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

"Better #'s" is too general a test. Would he be a winning qb? A qb that takes his team to playoffs ? Take his team to a coin toss of getting to super bowl ? No, no I don't believe fitz would.

Look at the highlights from smith: I see a guy with a much better arm, better mechanics, better footwork, can run a more up tempo offense, faster when he takes off running , and more presence on the field

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXX9mJAW--Q&feature=youtube_gdata_player

One thing on smith id like to see a stronger arm down field , but still its better than fitz. But the list of flawless QBs is extremely small.

At end of day, The takeaway about SF defense, harbaugh with QBs and smith, should be a focus on building a dominant defense, a coach that can get the best out of QBs, and a QB that can win with the setup. Smith has shown he can, and IMO its obvious his skills are superior to fitz, who IMO wouldn't be sucessful on the 9ers.

I agree with this. I also agree with those who say it's unlikely we will find a franchise QB in this draft. As I understand Fitz's contract situation, though, the Billls are probably less able to afford Smith than the 49ers are, since cutting Fitz apparently would not result in much savings. Something has to be done, though. I just cannot watch another season of Fitz; would much rather see a 3d round rookie or even T-jax.

https://www.youtube....be_gdata_player

49ers' defense have given up an average of 14.3 and 17.1 points per game. The Bills have given 27.1 and 27.2 points per game. It's not a stretch to think if you switch both QBs, that Fitz would improve and Smith would look a lot worse. It's not to say Fitz is good, it's to say that if you have a dominant defense, magically your QB play improves. Brees, Brady, Rodgers, and Peyton are all sitting at home because of their defenses.

Fitz is what he is but you have to be a hater to think he couldn't go to the playoffs on the 9ers. And we'd be ready to run Smith out of town if he was here the last 2 years because no QB was overcoming our terrible defense. So I still am failing to see the upgrade with Smith. And for the record, Fitz would have gotten replace by Kaepernick too the second Harbaugh got a chance. But teh 49ers have the best situation for any QB in the league to succeed.