Jets’ cap number scares off GMs

Good summary of jets cap situation from NY Post :

ESPN reported yesterday the Jets are $19.4 million over the projected 2013 salary cap, the most in the NFL, and the perception of the situation may be scaring GM candidates away....The Jets can easily maneuver their way under the cap by releasing linebacker Bart Scott, linebacker Calvin Pace, tackle Jason Smith and safety Eric Smith next month. That would save them $30.7 million. You can add another $1.5 million if they release quarterback Tim Tebow, as expected. Those moves would put them $12.8 million under the cap.

The problem for the Jets is that leaves them with only 10 players who were starters this year under contract — QB Mark Sanchez, C Nick Mangold, T D’Brickashaw Ferguson, WR Santonio Holmes, WR Stephen Hill, NT Sione Po’uha, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, LB David Harris, CB Antonio Cromartie and CB Darrelle Revis. They will probably tender tackle Austin Howard, who is a restricted free agent, to bring the number to 11.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_cap_number_scares_off_gms_s53xzVOSy7F60IEiLpHQ6O

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

ESPN reported yesterday the Jets are $19.4 million over the projected 2013 salary cap, the most in the NFL, and the perception of the situation may be scaring GM candidates away....The Jets can easily maneuver their way under the cap by releasing linebacker Bart Scott, linebacker Calvin Pace, tackle Jason Smith and safety Eric Smith next month. That would save them $30.7 million. You can add another $1.5 million if they release quarterback Tim Tebow, as expected. Those moves would put them $12.8 million under the cap.

The problem for the Jets is that leaves them with only 10 players who were starters this year under contract — QB Mark Sanchez, C Nick Mangold, T D’Brickashaw Ferguson, WR Santonio Holmes, WR Stephen Hill, NT Sione Po’uha, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, LB David Harris, CB Antonio Cromartie and CB Darrelle Revis. They will probably tender tackle Austin Howard, who is a restricted free agent, to bring the number to 11.

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/jets_cap_number_scares_off_gms_s53xzVOSy7F60IEiLpHQ6O

And any GM would love to be rid of Sanchez and possibly Holmes if not for very hard to unload contracts

Rough times - who here didnt see it coming though?

Everyone was complaining when the Jets were loading up with high priced free agent after high priced free agent. This is the result--the house of cards is tumbling down and they're going to have to cut half of their starters. The Jets financial mismanagement is a glaring example of how not to create long-term franchise prosperity. Someone, however, will want to play super hero and try to save the day.

Right, of the 11 they have/can have contracted, the most expensive Sanchez theyd love to get rid of. Two others Holmes (Lisfranc), Revis (ACL) are big question marks.

And those last two include a head case that runs his mouth, and a guy liable to hold out any given season.

Love it.

Everyone was complaining when the Jets were loading up with high priced free agent after high priced free agent. This is the result--the house of cards is tumbling down and they're going to have to cut half of their starters. The Jets financial mismanagement is a glaring example of how not to create long-term franchise prosperity. Someone, however, will want to play super hero and try to save the day.

It is an interesting case study. I also think they went for broke believing they were on the cusp of being a potential SB winner.

Bart Scott, Calvin Pace and David Harris...Which one do you think ends up with the Bills next year? There's no way they sign all three. I'd be glad to see us pick up Scott.

The only one worth a crap is Harris. He is worth taking a good look at.

The problem for the Jets is that leaves them with only 10 players who were starters this year under contract — QB Mark Sanchez, C Nick Mangold, T D'Brickashaw Ferguson, WR Santonio Holmes, WR Stephen Hill, NT Sione Po'uha, DE Muhammad Wilkerson, LB David Harris, CB Antonio Cromartie and CB Darrelle Revis. They will probably tender tackle Austin Howard, who is a restricted free agent, to bring the number to 11.

http://m.nypost.com/...Sy7F60IEiLpHQ6O

looks like Jets will be last in the division now.

Hi everyone. I'm the person who runs the Nyjetscap site that tires to cover the cap for the AFC East teams and I thought I would jump in on this one for a bit. The Jets dont have an easy out with the cap in terms of being ultra active in free agency, unless of course they decide they want players like Holmes on the team even longer, which I think could be a real possibility given the coaches comments about him. That being said the Jets cap has alot of built in flexibility based on the way they structure their contracts. I wrote something in it today under the articles section and am actually writing something else tonight that clarifies it a bit more.

Its a bit different than the Bills cap system in which they try to match their overall cash spend close to their overall cap figure. The Bills use a number of different mechanisms to do it (for instance they are one of the few teams that does signing bonus, option bonus, roster bonus at start of league year for the first three years or so of most of their players, most only use one or at most two of those mechanisms) buts its essetially matching cap figures with their budget. The Jets are close to a cash/cap strategy in that the high cash spending mimics the cap hits. For example Holmes cap figure this year is $12.5 million with a cash payout of over $11 million. Its not the route of teams like the Panthers who have Charles Johnson getting paid $7 million with a $13 million cap hit. Because of that the Jets have significant cap flexibility to trade players and carry minimal dead money (assuming they can find a trade partner which I doubt they can for anyone except Cromartie) or to begin to resturcture and spread out cap hits like the Steelers and Giants do every year. Of course that just puts off the next "danger" zone of cap years for another 2 years, but you hope the cap rises more by that point in time. If personally recommend the Jets to do it with Sanchez to defer most of the dead cap to 2014 when its more reasonable to cut him. Sanchez does have an awful contract and there is no sugarcoating that one.

I personally dont believe the cap story as a reason why the team is having a long GM search. As mob16151 pointed out above the Panthers got a GM and you cant even compare the two cap situations no matter what figure you hear in the press. The Panthers have players who are unmoveable and have no real avenue to restructure because of the awful job their prior GM did in negotiating those deals. Those are stories floated by people who were not going to get the job. If anything the Jets cap this year would give them an added year of security since they need it to get the books in order. IMO, what scares people off is the fact that Rex has to stay on board as the coach and that the team has an owner that meddles in the football operations. You dont want to float those kind of stories because you never want to completely burn a bridge which makes the cap story more convienient. Just my two cents....

Hi everyone. I'm the person who runs the Nyjetscap site that tires to cover the cap for the AFC East teams and I thought I would jump in on this one for a bit. The Jets dont have an easy out with the cap in terms of being ultra active in free agency, unless of course they decide they want players like Holmes on the team even longer, which I think could be a real possibility given the coaches comments about him. That being said the Jets cap has alot of built in flexibility based on the way they structure their contracts. I wrote something in it today under the articles section and am actually writing something else tonight that clarifies it a bit more.

Its a bit different than the Bills cap system in which they try to match their overall cash spend close to their overall cap figure. The Bills use a number of different mechanisms to do it (for instance they are one of the few teams that does signing bonus, option bonus, roster bonus at start of league year for the first three years or so of most of their players, most only use one or at most two of those mechanisms) buts its essetially matching cap figures with their budget. The Jets are close to a cash/cap strategy in that the high cash spending mimics the cap hits. For example Holmes cap figure this year is $12.5 million with a cash payout of over $11 million. Its not the route of teams like the Panthers who have Charles Johnson getting paid $7 million with a $13 million cap hit. Because of that the Jets have significant cap flexibility to trade players and carry minimal dead money (assuming they can find a trade partner which I doubt they can for anyone except Cromartie) or to begin to resturcture and spread out cap hits like the Steelers and Giants do every year. Of course that just puts off the next "danger" zone of cap years for another 2 years, but you hope the cap rises more by that point in time. If personally recommend the Jets to do it with Sanchez to defer most of the dead cap to 2014 when its more reasonable to cut him. Sanchez does have an awful contract and there is no sugarcoating that one.

I personally dont believe the cap story as a reason why the team is having a long GM search. As mob16151 pointed out above the Panthers got a GM and you cant even compare the two cap situations no matter what figure you hear in the press. The Panthers have players who are unmoveable and have no real avenue to restructure because of the awful job their prior GM did in negotiating those deals. Those are stories floated by people who were not going to get the job. If anything the Jets cap this year would give them an added year of security since they need it to get the books in order. IMO, what scares people off is the fact that Rex has to stay on board as the coach and that the team has an owner that meddles in the football operations. You dont want to float those kind of stories because you never want to completely burn a bridge which makes the cap story more convienient. Just my two cents....

Jason.

Great work on your site.

I can say unequivocally that you're the best thing I can think of when the New York Jets are brought up.

Keep up the awesome work and thanks for stopping by to give us an insiders look at the Jets cap situation.

While I still hate the Jets, I'm reminded that they have some great fans, just like any NFL team.

Cheers

Jason.

Great work on your site.

I can say unequivocally that you're the best thing I can think of when the New York Jets are brought up.

Keep up the awesome work and thanks for stopping by to give us an insiders look at the Jets cap situation.

While I still hate the Jets, I'm reminded that they have some great fans, just like any NFL team.

Cheers

Thanks.

glad ya joined buddy!

(actually, looked like you had joined a while back, so glad you came back!)

Edited by jboyst62

This is why I'm glad the Bills mostly follow the cash-to-cap philosophy.

Of course, another negative to the Jets GM job besides the salary cap problem is the status of Rex Ryan. Having an untouchable head-coach limits the GM's power and probability of success.

OH God Seriously. What fan would ever say...I'm glad my team follows a cash to the cap philosophy? That BS has won how many Championships?? Which teams? That type of thinking is propaganda spewed by teams (Bills) trying to make money and not win.

What SuperBowl Winning teams are applying the Cash to the Cap "philosophy"? What team has used that philosophy to end up 13 years with no playofffs??

Winner winner Chicken dinner.

Edited by Cville Bills

Jason.

Great work on your site.

Cheers

+1

Nice read about some of the complexities from a business point of view of assembling a competitive NFL team. It's so much easier in Madden.

Slightly off topic but IMO the Jets biggest recent problem (and something that helped lead to the cap issue) is drafting. Look at their top picks, like first and second rounders, for the last few years. Aside from Revis, how many of them have turned out to players worth their draft status?

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4738179/clayton-pats-will-plenty-of-13-cap-space

"In his weekly mailbag on ESPN.com, NFL senior writer John Clayton had a list of every NFL's salary cap space for 2013. The list included the carryover for each team from 2012 to 2013.

According to Clayton, the Patriots will carry over $5.6 million and currently have $18.6 million in cap space.

This sets the Patriots up nicely. Only seven teams currently have more space.

When I see those numbers, the first thought that comes to mind is that the Patriots are well-managed. Even with quarterback Tom Brady accounting for a $22 million salary-cap charge, there is room to maneuver.

Another way to look at it is that if the Patriots can't reach a multi-year agreement with receiver Wes Welker, and ultimately assign him a franchise tag at $11.4 million, the numbers become a bit tighter.

The final point is that salary cap space is fluid and can always change with roster transactions. But the way the Patriots have operated under Bill Belichick is that they have attempted to avoid situations where they have to release players to clear salary cap space, and their financial discipline has served them well."

The Jets cap number scares off potential GMs from making a 7 figure salary and the chance to live in New York City? Yeah.......sure.

You're acting like anyone they'd want doesnt have options. Which means they also have a reputation they want to protect and not hop aboard a sinking ship and share in the blame for a declining situation with limited options.

What SuperBowl Winning teams are applying the Cash to the Cap "philosophy"?

I was under the impression that most teams actually use a cash-to-cap philosophy? Marv was criticized for it because it was not then a common known phrase and it made the Bills appear cheap.