Bills hire Jim O'neil

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i havent loved the special teams but... with a returner that was a serious pro bowl candidate, and killing it in the kick block department (including a game winner) i am a little surprised that the feelings are so polarized and not more in the realm of "hopefully we can upgrade a bit" instead of "kill me now if he returns"

Leodis has been a good returner his entire career, pretty much regardless of who has been back there. The kick block thing, to me, is more of an individual effort thing. We're not doing anything special or unique, simply benefiting from Carrington and Dareus and the pushers who're getting them through.

I think the kick and punt coverage most of this year was dreadful. The stats don't necessarily bear it out but we were forced to use defensive starters on special teams more as the season went on.

Personally, I think it's time to go a different direction.

Oh my goodness! It's great to be excited, but I think it's a bit premature considering they don't play a game that counts for another 8 months, haven't completed their coaching staff, haven't resigned Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre yet, have serious flaws at QB, linebacker, cornerback, and the wide receiver positons, and haven't signed any free agents or drafted yet, nor found a viable replacement for Fitzpatrick. If the Bills keep Fitzpatrick as a starter I think their ceiling is about 8-8, but most likely 6 or 7 wins. In a year with many changes including a change of culture at One Bills Drive I think it's best to make sweeping changes now so the team can move forward in unison. That includes unloading baggage ie: Fitz, Thigpen, & the irrevelant Tavaris Jackson or whatever his name is in which our genius Buddy gave up a 4th round draft pick for despite the QB's inability to learn the playbook! Anyways, I'm happy we moved on from Gailey, but we have a very flawed roster and have a long way to go until we're playoff bound! I also have serious reservations about Buddy's ability to draft appropriately, which may not be consistent with what others feel? All I know is when we had the opportunity to take Russel Wilson in my little Draft War Room..I was ready to pounce and select him, the same goes with Colin Kaepernick as he was a no brainer in my mind, as well as Bryan Orakapo a few years back, that had to p-mee off more than any other non-pick when it occurred..when he was available I was excited, then mad as heck when they bypassed him! There are so many other examples..and even though I now like Spiller a lot I wouldn't have picked him quite honestly because there were higher needs and I still believe it wasn't the right pick as rb's shelf life is short and by the time the Bills (may) become relevant in the league again, he may very well be on the downside or out of the NFL. If Buddy would've taken a QB instead and built around him it is more likely by now we would've already been somewhat relative, and instead of rebuilding Chan Gailey might have been talking about how we just missed the playoffs at 9-7 with high expectations going into next year! So, in a league of mediocrity including its coaches I just don't understand the excitement at this juncture, but am happy that someone else can feel that way after a 6-10 season with deep positional concerns! :cry:

Paragraphs are good.

I hate the Jets but they always have a good defense. I love stealing their coaches.

Let`s steal some players from the Jets. Laron Landry would be a nice addition at SS or Yerimiah Bell . Both of these guys can knock someone into next month. We haven`t had a hard hitting Safety since Kurt Schultz.

Landry and Byrd would be a great combo

Oh my goodness! It's great to be excited, but I think it's a bit premature considering they don't play a game that counts for another 8 months, haven't completed their coaching staff, haven't resigned Jairus Byrd and Andy Levitre yet, have serious flaws at QB, linebacker, cornerback, and the wide receiver positons, and haven't signed any free agents or drafted yet, nor found a viable replacement for Fitzpatrick. If the Bills keep Fitzpatrick as a starter I think their ceiling is about 8-8, but most likely 6 or 7 wins. In a year with many changes including a change of culture at One Bills Drive I think it's best to make sweeping changes now so the team can move forward in unison. That includes unloading baggage ie: Fitz, Thigpen, & the irrevelant Tavaris Jackson or whatever his name is in which our genius Buddy gave up a 4th round draft pick for despite the QB's inability to learn the playbook! Anyways, I'm happy we moved on from Gailey, but we have a very flawed roster and have a long way to go until we're playoff bound! I also have serious reservations about Buddy's ability to draft appropriately, which may not be consistent with what others feel? All I know is when we had the opportunity to take Russel Wilson in my little Draft War Room..I was ready to pounce and select him, the same goes with Colin Kaepernick as he was a no brainer in my mind, as well as Bryan Orakapo a few years back, that had to p-mee off more than any other non-pick when it occurred..when he was available I was excited, then mad as heck when they bypassed him! There are so many other examples..and even though I now like Spiller a lot I wouldn't have picked him quite honestly because there were higher needs and I still believe it wasn't the right pick as rb's shelf life is short and by the time the Bills (may) become relevant in the league again, he may very well be on the downside or out of the NFL. If Buddy would've taken a QB instead and built around him it is more likely by now we would've already been somewhat relative, and instead of rebuilding Chan Gailey might have been talking about how we just missed the playoffs at 9-7 with high expectations going into next year! So, in a league of mediocrity including its coaches I just don't understand the excitement at this juncture, but am happy that someone else can feel that way after a 6-10 season with deep positional concerns! :cry:

Zoloft...

@MMehtaNYDN: More changes for the Jets. Assistant DBs coach Jim O'Neil will join Mike Pettine as a member of his Bills' staff, per source. #nyj

Are any Bills fans NOT excited that, before lunchtime on his 3rd day as Buffalo's new head coach, Doug Marrone has

1) Dismantled the defensive coaching staff of our division rivals in New Jersey;

2) Hired a defensive coordinator & d-backs coach intimately familiar with all 3 of our AFC East rivals????

And, in between his multitasks, also found time to reach out to the Bills faithful with this lovely letter...

David,

Today, I'm experiencing a dream come true. The opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL and to be part of an outstanding organization like the Buffalo Bills is certainly an honor.

I'm looking forward to working with the people in this organization, but I am especially excited to work with the players. I was a player in the NFL and I was a coach in the League for seven years. I know the importance of building trust and my first order of business is to begin building that trust with this team.

Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done. As I begin to assemble my coaching staff, I will be looking for hard-working, experienced coaches that are excited to be part of the Buffalo Bills tradition.

As a coach, I certainly understand the importance of team, and for me that extends beyond the players, staff and coaches. When you have a fan base that is passionate about their team, they provide a unique energy that everyone can feel. Having had the opportunity to coach just down the Thruway at Syracuse, I know the support that exists for the Buffalo Bills. That passion is part of the reason I was so excited to take this opportunity.

One of the things Russ Brandon and I discussed during my interview was the passion and loyalty of Bills season ticket holders. We want to make you proud to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills again and we will work tirelessly until that job is complete.

This season, I look forward to experiencing the great atmosphere you provide at Ralph Wilson Stadium and I can't wait to celebrate a Championship together soon.

Go Bills!

Marrone-Doug-Signature.jpg

Doug Marrone

Head Coach

Go Bills, indeed, coach...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! :beer:

Leodis has been a good returner his entire career, pretty much regardless of who has been back there. The kick block thing, to me, is more of an individual effort thing. We're not doing anything special or unique, simply benefiting from Carrington and Dareus and the pushers who're getting them through.

I think the kick and punt coverage most of this year was dreadful. The stats don't necessarily bear it out but we were forced to use defensive starters on special teams more as the season went on.

Personally, I think it's time to go a different direction.

Carrington was just ridiculous this year. I have never seen anything like it. It looked to be like it was just individual effort and talent/knack, too. And Leodis has always been a great returner, since his college days, and regardless of if he had a couple down years of stats. I would love to re-sign him as an extra DB and as our PR.

Are any Bills fans NOT excited that, before lunchtime on his 3rd day as Buffalo's new head coach, Doug Marrone has

1) Dismantled the defensive coaching staff of our division rivals in New Jersey;

2) Hired a defensive coordinator & d-backs coach intimately familiar with all 3 of our AFC East rivals????

And, in between his multitasks, also found time to reach out to the Bills faithful with this lovely letter...

{snip}

GO BILLSSS!!!!

And, he brought in coaches today that likely can provide insight regarding our offensive players.

The hiring of a DB coach inspired this post?

David,J

Today, I'm experiencing a dream come true. The opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL and to be part of an outstanding organization like the Buffalo Bills is certainly an honor.

I'm looking forward to working with the people in this organization, but I am especially excited to work with the players. I was a player in the NFL and I was a coach in the League for seven years. I know the importance of building trust and my first order of business is to begin building that trust with this team.

Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done. As I begin to assemble my coaching staff, I will be looking for hard-working, experienced coaches that are excited to be part of the Buffalo Bills tradition.

As a coach, I certainly understand the importance of team, and for me that extends beyond the players, staff and coaches. When you have a fan base that is passionate about their team, they provide a unique energy that everyone can feel. Having had the opportunity to coach just down the Thruway at Syracuse, I know the support that exists for the Buffalo Bills. That passion is part of the reason I was so excited to take this opportunity.

One of the things Russ Brandon and I discussed during my interview was the passion and loyalty of Bills season ticket holders. We want to make you proud to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills again and we will work tirelessly until that job is complete.

This season, I look forward to experiencing the great atmosphere you provide at Ralph Wilson Stadium and I can't wait to celebrate a Championship together soon.

Go Bills!

Marrone-Doug-Signature.jpg

Doug Marrone

Head Coach

Go Bills, indeed, coach...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

You ROCKED it Senator! Matt in KC too!

The internal insight they bring is every bit as important as them knowing our division. To Marrone' challenge, they may not bleed Bills Blue, but they're bringing hatred and intell on the AFC East! It's the next best thing!

And, he brought in coaches today that likely can provide insight regarding our offensive players.

Great point. I'd love to hear him talk to Marrone and Hackett about how they gameplanned Fitz; will hopefully eliminate all doubt on needing a new QB. No need for smart responses, boys -- I already know what's coming.

Thought the idea was to get the best coaches, not the first ones who'd come here. Guess I have it wrong about how to run an organization.

What? You want Russ to travel around the world and go to hidden caves in Outer Mongolia in search of ObieWan Ganobie?