Scott Shafer for DC

Stanford University

Jim Harbaugh was hired as the head coach of the Stanford Cardinals in December 2006. As part of his coaching staff, he hired Shafer as the defensive coordinator and assistant head coach. Harbaugh was quoted as saying Shafer being “one of the most creative and innovative defensive minds in college football.”[10] While at Stanford, he was part of the Cardinal's October 6, 2007 upset of USC. The Trojans were favored in the game by 41 points but the Cardinals scored a touchdown in the final minute to win the game 24-23. The upset was considered by some to be the greatest upset in the history of college football.[21] Shafer's defense at Stanford ranked fifth in the nation with 37 sacks and posted 101 tackles for loss, which was good for 11th in the country. The numbers were the Cardinal's best since their Rose Bowl season of 1999.[7]

Syracuse

Shafer was hired by Syracuse University head football coach Doug Marrone in 2009. He was hired as the defensive coordinator for a team that allowed 32.7 points per game in the 2008 season.[24] Shafer quickly took over and changed the defense from being one of the most porous defenses in the country and made them a respectable group of players.[25] The defense went from being 101st in the country to the top 20 under Shafer.[26] Under Shafer, Syracuse’s defense ranked 7th in the nation in 2010 in total defense (from 37th), 12th in the nation in first downs allowed (from 27th), 10th in pass defense (from 85th), 14th in pass efficiency defense (from (113th), and 13th in scoring defense (from 81st).[27] While at Syracuse, he coached 2012 1st round draft pick Chandler Jones, who was the highest draft pick from Syracuse since Dwight Freeney in 2002.[28]

Coaching and defensive philosophy

Shafer said his father was his greatest coaching role model. He noted: "My dad always said a good coach can coach any position, and a good coach can coach any scheme. We'll come up with an excellent scheme that is simple enough to let the kids attack and play with great aggression."[29] Shafer explained his defensive philosophy this way: "Scheme is overrated, I've always believed that. What's not overrated is getting your kids to play with great effort, great attitude and great enthusiasm. Those are things we can control on a daily basis, and that will be my primary goal. . . . The philosophy of our defense is attack-oriented, attack and react. We want to be a defense this is multiple, that is always putting pressure and forcing the hand of the offense. We want to be a penetrating defense. If you're going to (ask) what our objectives are? The one thing we want to do is stop the run, force them to throw the ball on first down, create negative plays on first down . . . and get ourselves in position to force them to throw the ball. Get them one-dimensional. We don't want to be a defense that sits back. We want to be a defense that creates turnovers and scores touchdowns."[30]

Similarly, he told the Detroit Free Press: "We're an attack defense; scheme is overrated. All schemes can work if you tackle and keep the ball in front. We're an aggressive defense, force the offense's hand. We're going to stop the run on early downs and force the pass. We'll get situations where when we are forcing the pass, we hit the quarterback, forcing him to throw the ball into coverage."[30][31]

Shafer’s defense philosophy has also been published to DVD. He is the author of eight instructional videos that are distributed by Coaches Choice and teach lessons such as tackling, press coverage, and different defense packages.[32]

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Scott_Shafer

Got to love that perspective, I've always preferred a more aggressive approach on Defense, for some reason--was it Galey, Edwards, Wanny, Nix?--the Bills have seemed to play more passive "scheme." But whatever it was, it hasn't worked, time for a change.

Shafer’s defense philosophy has also been published to DVD.

Was it fimed and distributed by the Pats*?

Seriously though - I loved how the SU D throttled the WVU offense in teh Pinstripe bowl. They came after Geno and kept them off balence. Multiple sacks and safeties. It was awesome.

The SU O was even more impressive, sticking with the run the entire game and just kept pounding it because it just kept working. None of that stupid out thinking yourself only to trick yourself playcalling that we have seen in Buffalo for ten years.

Marrone also said everything will run through him, and he will be in on the defensive gameplans, and he feels like he knows defense as much as he knows offense, so we can expect to see a very aggressive defense like Syracuse ran, even without Shafer being the guy.

I hope he can get a young fiery DC like a Horton or Mike Zimmer in Buffalo.

I hope he can get a young fiery DC like a Horton or Mike Zimmer in Buffalo.

Zimmer is not really young, he's like 56 or something. But I agree I want an aggressive younger coach with a lot of NFL experience. Horton type would be great. I don't necessarily think he is a likely choice, but it's possible.

NFN, but I'm reading that Marrone will hire experienced NFL assistants at OC & DC.

“The coordinators will need to have thorough NFL experience, especially on the defensive side of the ball.”

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/01/07/doug-marrones-looking-for-an-experienced-coordinators/

Which to me is a very great thing, hopefully he picks the right people as we all know that was both Jauron & Gaileys downfall.

P.S. Quoting wiki on anything= :sick:

NFN, but I'm reading that Marrone will hire experienced NFL assistants at OC & DC.

“The coordinators will need to have thorough NFL experience, especially on the defensive side of the ball.”

http://profootballta...d-coordinators/

Which to me is a very great thing, hopefully he picks the right people as we all know that was both Jauron & Gaileys downfall.

And I hope he does not hire Jauron and Gailey for that position just because they have NFL coaching experience. Both played scared and not lose games. They do not fit the Marrone mentality.

I agree BB. I hope he's our guy too. He might be able to prevent Landry Jones from going 0-16. ;)

For real, I think he's exactly what we want. A young fiery coach that brings the heat. I'm tired of the conservative approach on d. QB hurries, knock downs, sacks, picks, fumbles. I want to see them. I miss them. I don't care if we give up some long tds. I wanna get excited.

I don't think we'll hire him though and it'll be upsetting.

Edited by NewEra

"Aggressive and "Bills defense" have been like fire and water for much too long. Does Shafer have any NFL coaching experience? It would help.

Greggg Williams may soon be available. His defenses are allegedly very aggressive.

I don't believe Goddell will let Williams off the hook until most positions are filled. He lied and that didn't set well with him and cook cook Williams for the entire season. Just my thought on it.

I was joking. I would never want that punk back in Buffalo.

So I am trying to figure out why Schafer left Stanford after such a great year...? Harbaugh hadn't left yet.

Michigan was/is a more prominent school.

No Way. He said the DC has to have NFL experience. I ike this guy but there is no way they are going to hire him.

I hope he takes over Syracuse as HC.

That's your real reason.

for the most part it is pretty accurate, so not to concerned about it.

And I hope he does not hire Jauron and Gailey for that position just because they have NFL coaching experience. Both played scared and not lose games. They do not fit the Marrone mentality.

hey Wanstache is available :thumbsup:

Sounds interesting. I trust Marrone to make the right decision. I hope, really badly, that he gets some really awesome Coordinators. If he brings in the right Coordinators, and they coach this team to it's potential, we could see winning football next year! Good Coordinators would really just crown this week's developments, and I think really ennable this organization to start fresh. On the field it's all about Identity, and the ability to change or adapt. A winning team has to be thoroughly prepared - something our coaches have failed to do for about a decade, now. Against good teams and great coaches we have a dismal record of late. Here's to us changing that now!

I agree BB. I hope he's our guy too. He might be able to prevent Landry Jones from going 0-16. ;)

For real, I think he's exactly what we want. A young fiery coach that brings the heat. I'm tired of the conservative approach on d. QB hurries, knock downs, sacks, picks, fumbles. I want to see them. I miss them. I don't care if we give up some long tds. I wanna get excited.

I don't think we'll hire him though and it'll be upsetting.

:censored: U :nana:

besides I'm off the Jones bandwagon as he is good but don't think he will be elite and I really don't like any QBs this year so I'm all in on Flacco and draft a franchise QB down the road.

No more 'bend but don't break' Buffalo DCs, please. Walt Cory was bad enough, but all we've had since him (other than Gregg's)

are passive, gutless co-ordinators.

Wade was/is aggressive

I am fully on board with Shafer, but I don't think he'll be the choice.

More 'nationally recognized for football' might be more accurate.

we are talking about football, not too many academic discussions on this board.

Sounds interesting. I trust Marrone to make the right decision. I hope, really badly, that he gets some really awesome Coordinators. If he brings in the right Coordinators, and they coach this team to it's potential, we could see winning football next year! Good Coordinators would really just crown this week's developments, and I think really ennable this organization to start fresh. On the field it's all about Identity, and the ability to change or adapt. A winning team has to be thoroughly prepared - something our coaches have failed to do for about a decade, now. Against good teams and great coaches we have a dismal record of late. Here's to us changing that now!

we got the coach that others wanted so we should do the same with coordinators, normally I would be drinking the cool-aid but we've burned too many times but at least we are being progressive which should get us better results.