Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only if their contract is up or they are looking for position coaches to elevate to OC/DC. Typically teams will not let a coach go in a lateral move (unless they aren't happy with that coach).

Not sure I agree with you, just as any HC can depart or resign a portion of the contract will have to be bought out. I agree it wont be a current OC/DC def a position coach though. I really do not want a guy who has been out of the game for some time to get the position ala Monte Kiffin.

Unimpressed. Struck me as a typical NFL guy, not someone unique in any way. Thin-skinned and close-lipped.

Joe B on GR was quite to sum up his presser as "evasive".

Don't think he'll be likeable, but neither is Belichick. .

I could not care less if he is likeable as long as he wins. I guess he was evasive as he did not answer any of the questions regarding personnel plans, coordinator hiring plans, etc. Then again, why should he? I liked that he stated he thinks the players should hear his plans from him and not the media, and that he does not believe in discussing players publically. Good for him, although this will hardly make him a media darling. Not sure what people expected in an introductory PC. Let's see how the staff building goes.

Listened to the presser. Still not excited. Let's see what OC and DC they can land. They better be right.

You may not be, but Doug Marrone sure is excited. He must have said the word "excited" 15-20 times. Like many of you, I'll get excited when the drafting is good, the roster is right and the Bills punch someone in the mouth in September.

What could he have said that would have impressed you?

PTR

The only thing I didn't like is him getting defensive. Proving his case at a presser was a bit odd, but I'll give him a pass. I don't care if he's good with the media or at press conferences. I care that he helps change the direction of this franchise.

We all deserve better as Bills fans...

I've never understood this thinking. The only thing Bills fans deserve is precisely what they get when they choose to be a Bills fan. Nobody owes us anything.

If we, as fans, continue to follow a team that kicks us in the face, there is only one person to blame every time our face gets kicked.

I've never understood this thinking. The only thing Bills fans deserve is precisely what they get when they choose to be a Bills fan. Nobody owes us anything.

If we, as fans, continue to follow a team that kicks us in the face, there is only one person to blame every time our face gets kicked.

Norwood.

Brandon said a revealing thing in his WGR interview this afternoon. I may be paraphrasing because I don't have the exact quote in front of me, but I heard him say it, was that he believes in "internal hard discussion and external unity."

I think that is a pretty good theory and way to run a business, I don't think it's a good thing to admit publicly, and he will probably regret it if people take him to task. Basically, it's saying we the fans and the media cannot trust them when they say stuff like "everyone in the building was behind this move" or "This was a team decision."

I keep going over to the "What they are saying about Doug Marrone" thread looking for some negative press, or at least something lukewarm. Still haven't found it.

Sooner or later, folks will have to come to grips with the fact this appears to be a guy universally regarded as a smart, tough, innovative, organized, and hard-working coach.

Damn the Bills.

I keep going over to the "What they are saying about Doug Marrone" thread looking for some negative press, or at least something lukewarm. Still haven't found it.

Sooner or later, folks will have to come to grips with the fact this appears to be a guy universally regarded as a smart, tough, innovative, organized, and hard-working coach.

Damn the Bills.

They dont care. They are just hedging their bets so that if he doesnt work out, they can point out that they "knew it all along". It's the cheapest way to be a fan. That whole "I hope they prove me wrong, but..." BS.

If the team wins, they get to enjoy it. And if the team loses, they get... message board cred?

Sad.

For those that haven't had a chance to listen/view the press conference yet, here are some tidbits. Only words at this point, but as with most of you, my initial ambivalence is giving way to a bit of guarded optimism.

On coming to Buffalo:

I had some opportunities to make a choice and I’ve chosen to be here. I can’t tell you how excited I am to be the head football coach. I can’t tell you how excited I am for my family and I to move up here. We’re looking forward to it. I’m excited about working with the people in this organization, but I’m especially excited about working with the players

On being the head coach and responsibilities:

I think the main thing is when you’re the head football coach, you wanna make sure that you’re truly the CEO of the program… that you know what’s going on on offense, you know what’s going on on defense, you know what’s going on on special teams. So from a management type of style that’s who I am. I have to make sure we know how we’re going to win games and make sure I’m managing all those three phases. It’ll be with the coordinators. I’ll be heavily involved with game planning.

College vs Pro approach:

A lot of players right now are thinking ‘Is he gonna take a college football approach mentality or a pro football coach mentality?’ this is the nfl, this is the highest level. I’ve been a player in this league, I’ve coached in this league. So I have a good insight to the NFL. I’m excited about taking those principles and those approaches we’ve used in the NFL and discussing that with the players and making sure they understand what my expectations are and what their expectations are of me as a head football coach.

On coordinator search:

It’s gonna be thorough. We’re gonna pick the coaches that best fit what we would like to do. In doing so, I want people that wanna be here, and that’s the one thing I can guarantee you. The coaches that we speak to are gonna be coaches that wanna be here, coaches that don’t have an ego, that understand a work ethic, and that are willing to work with these players and get the job done.

What I’m not gonna do is put a parameter around exactly what I’m looking for from a certain position. Obviously for the coordinators we want people with thourough NFL experience, especially on the defensive side of the ball. Offensively we want people with NFL experience. So I think our coordinators we want to make sure that they’ve been in this league. This is a very very difficult job, being an NFL coach. At the end of the day we need to find the best fit where we’re gonna be most successful.

Analytics:

As far as analytical process for what we do in football obviously we’ve been using that quite a bit. I believe no one knows that….but we’ve used quite a bit of it in New Orleans when we were there. We wanna be innovative. We wanna use that to be on the cutting edge and push us forward. It’s part of what we do. It’s part of our planning. It’s part or our process.

John,

Today, I'm experiencing a dream come true. The opportunity to be a head coach in the NFL and to be part of an outstanding organization like the Buffalo Bills is certainly an honor.

I'm looking forward to working with the people in this organization, but I am especially excited to work with the players. I was a player in the NFL and I was a coach in the League for seven years. I know the importance of building trust and my first order of business is to begin building that trust with this team.

Obviously, there is a lot of work to be done. As I begin to assemble my coaching staff, I will be looking for hard-working, experienced coaches that are excited to be part of the Buffalo Bills tradition.

As a coach, I certainly understand the importance of team, and for me that extends beyond the players, staff and coaches. When you have a fan base that is passionate about their team, they provide a unique energy that everyone can feel. Having had the opportunity to coach just down the Thruway at Syracuse, I know the support that exists for the Buffalo Bills. That passion is part of the reason I was so excited to take this opportunity.

One of the things Russ Brandon and I discussed during my interview was the passion and loyalty of Bills season ticket holders. We want to make you proud to be a fan of the Buffalo Bills again and we will work tirelessly until that job is complete.

This season, I look forward to experiencing the great atmosphere you provide at Ralph Wilson Stadium and I can't wait to celebrate a Championship together soon.

Go Bills!

Marrone-Doug-Signature.jpg

Doug Marrone

Head Coach