Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

I'm a little discouraged to hear that it sounds like they have no idea who the DC and other coaches will be. Isn't that something they should have been working on in the back channels for a couple of days now? It sounds like they just said let's sign this HC and figure the rest out later. Picking the right DC is going to be HUGE in this process

He won't say it publicly, but he has to have some people in mind for at least his OC and DC. It's part of the interview process to discuss potential staff.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/football/professional/nfl/chargers/chargers-almost-set-on-gm-moving-into-coach-search/article_a979a6ac-2b45-5cea-8e6f-4de5a6fcd4a0.html

The Chargers brass – consisting of president Dean Spanos and his son, John, the team’s director of college scouting, vice president Ed McGuire and consultant Ron Wolf -- hit the road on Thursday and returned to San Diego on Sunday. On the trip, they interviewed Telesco and New York Giants Director of College Scouting Marc Ross.

They also flew to Phoenix on Saturday for what was presumed to be an interview with Steve Keim, the Arizona Cardinals Vice President of Player Personnel. But the Chargers executives actually went to Arizona for a Saturday night dinner with Doug Marrone, who early Sunday morning agreed to become the Buffalo Bills’ head coach.

The Chargers were extremely impressed with Marrone, who had been head coach at Syracuse University, but he appeared to have already made up his mind by the time he met with the Chargers. A team source emphasized Saturday night’s meeting was not an interview but a chance to get to know Marrone and express interest in interviewing him next week.

@SBradleyDC

Jon Gruden quote in Bills media packet: “I would be really excited if I was a Bills fan. ... He is a tough, hard-nosed and detailed coach.

Almost EVERYONE who has commented on Marrone has used the word "DETAILED".

When everyone says that in a brief soundbite, it is probably a definitive characteristic.

Marrone said he will look for coaches with NFL experience in his search for an offensive and defensive coordinator.

"We want to be innovative," he said. "We want to be on the cutting edge."

Marrone said he will not call offensive plays for the Bills, but he'll have the final say.

"I will not be calling plays, but everything will go through me," he said.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8820882/doug-marrone-hired-buffalo-bills

He won't say it publicly, but he has to have some people in mind for at least his OC and DC. It's part of the interview process to discuss potential staff.

I think the follow up interview on WGR gave him a chance to really explain why he wasn't mentioning philosophy/scheme/potential coordinators. He basically said he wants to speak with the players first and inform them of what he wants to do. He would rather they hear his plan from him than through the media. Whether we like it or not as fans, that's a good thing. No one likes to hear from their "boss" indirectly.

I am sure he has ideas of who to contact and interview and so on. That process begins right now.

When the news came out that the Bills had interviewed Marrone on Friday, Shefter said they met on Wednesday--- this may explain the discrepancy. More of an "all of the above".

"President and CEO Russ Brandon said over the course of last week the coach search committee met with Marrone five times."

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/01/07/bills-met-with-marrone-5-times/

My faith in the "new" front office is a little more solid, I'll say that. I had compared him to the college player whose stock rises quickly after the season ends. It sounds like he's justified the interest. Let's see it in action now.

We need a new motto. Show me the baby didn't work so goodly.

Maybe something involving my Italian heritage "maron" or "maronna mia!". Wait, those don't work.

I was specifically speaking about his playing career, which I know I wasn't clear about. Then again, what does size have to do with being a coach! But if I remember right, it was 5 games over 2 years, which is...well, brief.

Gotcha. True his playing time was brief, but I like that he's played at that level before.

Recalling Knox's Knuts, we need a group of season ticket holders in the endzone to start up a "Marrone's Morons" fan club.

I think the follow up interview on WGR gave him a chance to really explain why he wasn't mentioning philosophy/scheme/potential coordinators. He basically said he wants to speak with the players first and inform them of what he wants to do. He would rather they hear his plan from him than through the media. Whether we like it or not as fans, that's a good thing. No one likes to hear from their "boss" indirectly.

I am sure he has ideas of who to contact and interview and so on. That process begins right now.

That stuck out to me from the interview as well. "I won't discuss the players through the media." Players love hearing that schitt; will establish trust with the new guy almost instantly.

That stuck out to me from the interview as well. "I won't discuss the players through the media." Players love hearing that schitt; will establish trust with the new guy almost instantly.

Wasn't there a minor snafu or two in the media with Gailey mentioning players by name (in a negative light)? I wonder if this was something specifically addressed in his discussions with the Bills brass.

Edited by Punch