Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

How has he proven this? Sure his defense has always been top 5 if not top 3 in the league almost every year, but you can't ignore the fact that he's NEVER fixed the holes on the team. Every year, that team has struggled at QB play and offensive line play. Playing OC carousel every year like he's never the guy to blame. Sorry but I've never liked Lovie as HC. Great defensive mind but he's the same as Rex Ryan but with different personalities.

Cmon, man Lovie has proven he can win in this league. Just look at his W/L record. Or see how he's taken his team to the playoffs several times including a SB appearance and championship game. If that's not proof enough then I don't know what is!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm so excited about this hire.

I'm seen/read enough to believe that he will bring welcomed change, direction, creativity, culture and success to this team.

I like Lovie, but I don't think that this was the best situation for him.

Let's close ranks folks and get ready for NFL season, 2013.

This is from a few years ago. Read or not. Thought it was interesting on our new coach

http://dailyorange.c...ailed-strategy/

Great link thanks! My favorite part:

One day during the second week of spring practice, Marrone, as he occasionally does, broke away with the offensive tackles for individual drills. He paired the tackles up and watched intently as they hit one another. After almost every repetition, Marrone grabbed a player.

‘Get pissed off and kick his ass,’ Marrone shouted to junior Tucker Baumbach.

And minutes later, when nothing changed: ‘Don’t over evaluate it. He wants to kick your ass and you want to kick his ass.’

Junior tackle Jonathan Meldrum said the linemen have never had the hands-on approach of Marrone here at Syracuse. And when Marrone needs to be heard, Meldrum said, he makes sure everyone hears him clearly.

‘Coach Marrone is a very…I wouldn’t say intimidating man, but he has a great presence about him,’ Meldrum said. ‘When he’s around, he just grabs your attention. There’s no messing around. Whenever he talks, he grabs every part of you.’

significant injuries to our team aren't valid excuses, so they shouldn't be for the Bears either...

They weren't. He was fired. But when someone points out the Bears December failings as it related to Coach Lovie, I think the injuries are relevant to the discussion.

But I get it. The Bills selected a guy. The justification machine runs hot this time of year.

Yeah that 19-40 record Lovie Smith posted against winning teams was going to really get us places in our division wasn't it? He has been 2-9 against GB since McCarthy took over including 6 straight losses...sounds familiar doesn't it?

This.

Lovie went to a superbowl with Rex Grossman at QB. And I dont fault him for failing to build an OL, thats on the GM.

Lovie would have been a decent choice, no doubt about it. However there were reasons he was fired in Chicago. I read that he had issues with in game clock management and also is a "player's" coach, running soft camps. I think he probably would have done OK with the Bills, but I like the Marrone hire. He is an up and coming coach and not only the Bills were after him. SD, Cleveland and Philly were also interested. Good for the Bills for getting him first.

Is anyone envious right now of the Browns, Chargers, Bears, Cards, Eagles, Chiefs? I think not. I like that the Bills are taking a chance at the unknown. Russ wants a Leader of men, Check....Someone who is analytical, Check....Someone who has coached at an elite level, Check-maybe. I am very happy he's not a retread.

I gotta admit, when this news first broke I wasn't that big of a fan of Marrone simply because I didn't know that much about him.

However, I am very impressed with how he's viewed within the coaching community. Seems like everyone from analysts to former players to executives to coaches all agree that he has what it takes.

Now we play the waiting game.

This thread has become like one on politics. Everyone is trying to convince each other that their side is right - he's either a terrible choice or a great one. No one knows how it will play out. As an optimist, I always hope for the best. Why does it hurt to believe in hope that the Bills finally got it right? But I certainly can understand why fans would question the move as well. time will tell.

I do know the Bills did what I wanted - something different. I wanted a younger college coach (David Shaw was my 1st choice however) because that seems to be the trend of the league. But I dod think it is laughable that people say it was for marketing. Syracuse is like Amherst's size and most of the people there are Bills fans. Maybe if we hired the Toronto Argonauts coach, this might make sense.