Bills hire Doug Marrone to be Head Coach

sven233

It's not often that I agree with WEO, but this is one of those times. Not excited about this hire, but hope I turn out to be wrong....

I don't know if DM will be any good but a lot of teams wanted to talk to him. That alone makes this hire feel different, unlike when we hired Chan and Jauron. Also, we are the 2nd team of 7 to fill it's coaching vacancy. 100% different from when we hire last because we have to pick through scraps.

PTR

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

College football has changed immensely since the late 90's. How exactly is Syracuse supposed to become a National Power (in short order), as in, consistent threat for a title, when they are:

1. Stuck in an area with poor to terrible recruiting base

2. Have garbage facilities compared to the real big boys

3. Were in an irrelevant conference

4. Had a program that wasn't much better than UB when Marrone took over

The best Syracuse can hope for currently is 8-9 win seasons with a Big East title. Last i checked, they had two 8 win seasons in 4 under Marrone, and tied for the conference title this season. What more can you ask for?

This. 'Cuse was a power in the 90's? Gimme a f'n break, so were the Bills. That's 15-20 years ago! Anyone who thinks he should have been winning double digit games at Syracuse the last couple years really knows nothing about college football. College football has changed immensely and is continuing to do so. The Big East is garbage and except for maybe Louisville, no other team will ever really be relavent in the national title picture ever again. Super conferences with the SEC and best of the Big 10, PAC 12, and Big 12 will eventually come around and every other program will battle it out for bottom feeder bowls and maybe a spot or two in a playoff system if lucky. Not saying this guy is the answer but I'm sure as hell not dumb enough to totally write him off for not bringing 'Cuse a national title.

I like the selection. Buffalo has never hired a coach straight out of college and if there was ever a time to switch things up, it's now. I really wanted Lovie but am all for bringing in an offensive minded HC. Like many of you, my inital reaction was one of disbelief and dismay but the more I've read (and seen) of Marrone the more I like him.

In the end, we went for youth and vigor over experience, and I'm okay with that. Plus Marrone does have head coaching as well as NFL experience. Honestly, his resume is pretty strong.

In an NFL HC? REally?

Anyway teams like Boise St became national powerhouses recently despite obvious location, recruiting and facility disadvantages. Even other teams in the Big East (like Louisville) had better records and performance than Syracuse despite the same limitations you cite.

So how did Marrone get no interest last offseason, yet now he's our HC?

Wow. Boise St. a national powerhouse? Yeah ok buddy...Think it's easier to recruit in Louisville which is geographically close to hs football hotbeds or in CNY? Keep going I'd like to hear some more insight on college football this is making me laugh.

Wow. Boise St. a national powerhouse? Yeah ok buddy...Think it's easier to recruit in Louisville which is geographically close to hs football hotbeds or in CNY? Keep going I'd like to hear some more insight on college football this is making me laugh.

Boise State had no long and recent history of superlative Div 1 football play loke Syracuse did, yet there is no question they have been able to rise to national prominence over the past 5 years or so. It's just an example. But the point isn't simply why didn't Marrone win more games in Syracuse, but why he was suddenly such an obvious candidate for an NFL job when 6 or 7 teams didn't think he was last year? You know all about college football. Answer the question.

You need to understand the history of this board. No matter who the Bills hired, there was going to be a large contingent of people who would hate the hire and use it as proof that the they know better than everyone else. They'll pretend they have extensive knowledge of things they have no knowledge about, but be unable to answer any actual questions about options.

Some people can only tear down ideas.

Well if anybody hated the coaching hires of the last 13 years, they've certainly been wrong right? The FO has made this team a powerhouse!

This organization has done nothing to prove they know what they're doing over this span (giving Russ Brandon another title does little to inspire confidence nor does this hire). DM must make them look good, but I and many others doubt that'll be the case. Are we rooting for him to fail? Of course not. But I say don't get your hopes up that he'll succeed. I won't "billieve" it until I see it.

Well if anybody hated the coaching hires of the last 13 years, they've certainly been wrong right? The FO has made this team a powerhouse!

This organization has done nothing to prove they know what they're doing over this span (giving Russ Brandon another title does little to inspire confidence nor does this hire). DM must make them look good, but I and many others doubt that'll be the case. Are we rooting for him to fail? Of course not. But I say don't get your hopes up that he'll succeed. I won't "billieve" it until I see it.

If you want to dislike the hire, that's fine, there's a number of reasons to not like it. The hating it just because the Bills picked a coach is..well..stupid. They had to pick someone and even if they hired Belichick away from the Patriots, people would consider it a terrible move.

There's some posters here who are rooting for them to fail so they keep saying "I told you so" which is more important to them than the Bills winning.

Edited by jeremy2020

Boise State had no long and recent history of superlative Div 1 football play loke Syracuse did, yet there is no question they have been able to rise to national prominence over the past 5 years or so. It's just an example. But the point isn't simply why didn't Marrone win more games in Syracuse, but why he was suddenly such an obvious candidate for an NFL job when 6 or 7 teams didn't think he was last year? You know all about college football. Answer the question.

Didn't say I knew all about college football but you insinuated that this guy can't be that great since Boise St. and Louisville had better programs. I'd venture to guess that his previous NFL experience and his work in changing the complete loosing culture at Syracuse had people start taking notice. Sounds like he was very meticulous, and demanded the best out of his players. Lots transferred when he first came to Syracuse. Why did other NFL teams interview and show interest in him now? Answer the question.