Realistic Supporting Staff

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'll nominate Raheem Morris as defensive coordinator. He's young, high energy, did a nice job in Washington this year. And could give Marrone some added NFL insight without threatening his job. Maybe just opposite the failed Dave Wannstedt enough to get the players on dee to wake up and play w/ some passion.

Most likely you're looking at hires at assistant positions where they have some connection to Marrone.

That's the way it generally works so you have to connect the dots.

A lot of this speculation is unrealistic. Just saying.

I tried looking online for team media guides for the Jets and Saints teams which Marrone was a member of but I couldn't find those.

I was interested to find out who else Marrone coached with in the NFL besides Herm Edwards, Sean Payton, Paul Hackett, Donnie Henderson, Dennis Allen, Pete Carmichael, etc.

Most likely you're looking at hires at assistant positions where they have some connection to Marrone.

You also have to look at his former bosses and fellow coaches at his old spots and see who they may recommend. Payton, Edwards, guys on their staffs, etc.

Most people agree Lovie is a stretch to down grade from HC to DC?

that is the way it works....failed HC take coordinator jobs.

I tried looking online for team media guides for the Jets and Saints teams which Marrone was a member of but I couldn't find those.

I was interested to find out who else Marrone coached with in the NFL besides Herm Edwards, Sean Payton, Paul Hackett, Donnie Henderson, Dennis Allen, Pete Carmichael, etc.

Dont forget the friends of friends.....Sean Payton came from the Giants so there could be some people who came from those branches.

Good article outlining his connections

http://www.buffaloru...tree-influences

THIS is awesome!

Thanks Erik. Much needed stuff.

"Lovie Smith ran the linebackers from 1993 to 1994 in Knoxville - so yes, Marrone has worked with Smith in the past."

I wonder if the Buffalo News will be able to put together a piece anywhere near as comprehensive and well-researched as this one.

Kudos to the writer, Matt Warren.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

i just linked this article in the main thread and someone has already decided there isn't anyone worth bringing in on that list.... :wallbash:

The main thread is useless for intelligent conversation.

No one is listening. Any good post quickly gets buried by the white noise of uninspired thought.

you are right, but i am a masochist i guess....but i also get it...when i first heard the news i was less than enthused...and i am a SU homer...but as it has sunk in i am liking it more each moment

The main thread is useless for intelligent conversation.

No one is listening. Any good post quickly gets buried by the white noise of uninspired thought.

Don't think coaches that come over from other teams can't make parallel moves, i.e., an OL coach from one team taking the same job with another. Teams circumvent that somewhat by naming the guy an assistant HC like the Bills did with Bill Kollar a few years ago.

Carmichael is unemployed, fyi

I connect the dots as follows:

Bills interviewed Lovie already + Marrone tied to Lovie at Tenn. + Lovie runs a 4-3 = Bills going hard after Lovie as DC.

Interesting, although their time at Tennessee didn't overlap.

also keep in mind that Marrone's DC at SU is widely thought to be Marrone's replacement, so you can take him out of the equation...then lovie brings Urlacher along with him and BOOM GOES THE DYNAMITE!

Bills interviewed Lovie already + Marrone tied to Lovie at Tenn. + Lovie runs a 4-3 = Bills going hard after Lovie as DC.

I think I might know what Marrone's going to go after, but not who. The OC or DC may not have heavy NFL experience. But I believe he's going to pinpoint the best OC/DC that can handle roster turnover and still be very successful. Living and breathing roster turnover is what college coaches must be really good at. I believe this philosophy falls directly in line with Russ' analytics & metrics layer. If you also look ast specifically Seattle and their roster turnover and youth, they play faster and harder. Call it youthful exhuberance or what ever, but if they can reload like that every few years and play at a high level, they've hit on a pretty good winning formula. After about 20 years in the salary cap era, a few teams are beginning to figure out when that dude with 4-5 years experience becomes a FA and signs his first big contract, many of them get fat and stop producing or just aint as good as what they were thought to be in the first place. If a team turns their roster over 80% every 6-7 years, they don't have to deal with paying under producers (based on what they earn $$$) like Kelsay, K Wiliams, Mario, etc. And, I almost lumped Stevie in with that group. I'm not convinced that what he makes ($$) vs. what he produces is the results of a bad QB, or because Stevieis basically the only option on a bad team. We'll find that out. An $8m dollar WR better be putting up big numbers... crunch time numbers, and especially big time redzone numbers. Stevie does not, and we'll find out soon whether he was worth the investment.

I really do like his defensive coordinator Scott Shafer's attitude while at Syracuse. It was/is a very attacking, aggressive and proactive type of defense that forced other teams to make adjustments (definitely something we didn't have last year).

I worry about Shafer's complete lack of NFL experience though.

I'm a Shafer fan, but also a Stanford homer. I would be elated if we hired him.

Ponder this....Vick was never going to play in the NFL again

Vick didnt sell out his teammates.

Vick didnt turn on the men that hired him.

All people close with marronne

I would never hire Gregg now, and his best friend in the league just fired him.

. Greg has been a solid d coordinator often. Sorry he does not meet your standards. Such great talent on saints d always ? He looked good for skins among others. I wouldn't cry if we scooped him but he's prob done

I guess he can't be questioned is a lil steep....he's above average DC IMO. Marrone can't take that bold step .....too much controversy

Marrones biggest recommendation comes from a man currently suspended for his dealings with Gregg Williams. Come on... I'm embarassed to even have this discussion on this board

Edited by NoSaint

His coordinators from Syracuse are both talented guys. I would hope he brings them.

with all due respect to college coaches, i don't want an all-college coaching staff. We're the Buffalo Bills playing in the AFC East and not the Big East.

We better get a freaking solid DC and OC.

sounds like shaeffer(sp?) is being considered for the SU HC position. Wouldn't mind Hackett but I think there are stronger candidates to be had.

with all due respect to college coaches, i don't want an all-college coaching staff. We're the Buffalo Bills playing in the AFC East and not the Big East.

We better get a freaking solid DC and OC.

What qualifies him beyond geography? Anything to indicate he's a real candidate?

just speculation, I think.

I'm an SU fan/grad, and the rumors flying around with respect to Marrone's replacement are all over the place - from Hackett, Shafer, Tyrone Wheatley, David Walker, all the way to Jim Tressel (and I'm not even sure that Tressel is currently eligible to coach in the NCAA)

i heard tressel as well...thought that was very strange...

just speculation, I think.

I'm an SU fan/grad, and the rumors flying around with respect to Marrone's replacement are all over the place - from Hackett, Shafer, Tyrone Wheatley, David Walker, all the way to Jim Tressel (and I'm not even sure that Tressel is currently eligible to coach in the NCAA)

Im more interested in who will be DC under Marrone than OC since Marrone has an offensive background. I dont think Lovie is unrealistic. His coaching options would seem to be limited to teams that run a 4-3. That rules out a number of teams. The Bills would be a good stop for a guy like Lovie. Though he may not get a HC gig this year, if he turns around the Bills defense he would be a prime candidate for a HC gig in the future. To me, the Bills are a great opportunity for Lovie's future, a team with some talent on D that was obviously coched down under Wanny.

Edited by billsfan714

Im more interested in who will be DC under Marrone than OC since Marrone has an offensive background. I dont think Lovie is unrealistic. His coaching options would seem to be limited to teams that run a 4-3. That rules out a number of teams. The Bills would be a good stop for a guy like Lovie. Though he may not get a HC gig this year, if he turns around the Bills defense he would be a prime candidate for a HC gig in the future. To me, the Bills are a great opportunity for Lovie's future.

Agreed- add a LB, and turn a bottom shelf D into a fringe top ten type and he's a hot name again

You may want to add this to support your theory (originally posted by 'Vinny4sum' in the Chip Kelly thread):

Bills Daily@billsdaily

Lovie Smith's Son RT @Matt_Smith_IMG: Know this #BillsMafia, regardless of who next HC may be, you're in GREAT hands with @russbrandon !!!!!

Edited by ExWNYer