The Johnny Football game

Kelly the Dog

Barbarian- I'll take your word for it that he can make all the throws and from what I've seen he does have a nice arm...wish he was airing it out more...would like to see more quickness, movement in pocket. Footwork maybe?? Seems to have some of the sluggishness like they said about Mallet (then again, we are watching Manziel also so everything else looks slow)

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Barbarian- I'll take your word for it that he can make all the throws and from what I've seen he does have a nice arm...wish he was airing it out more...would like to see more quickness, movement in pocket. Footwork maybe?? Seems to have some of the sluggishness like they said about Mallet (then again, we are watching Manziel also so everything else looks slow)

he is definitely not a runner but he can move in the pocket so I'm not worried about it.

Hey man. No need for that--- you're better.

I grew up with that word so it isn't offensive to me so I really don't think about it being too much.

I grew up with that word so it isn't offensive to me so I really don't think about it being too much.

I guess we're just lucky you didn't grow up in Alabama.

Not for nothing, but it's not so important that it isn't offensive to you.

Don't misunderstand me, I know you're a good dude. I'm just saying.

Edited by Punch

@CBSSports

Final -- A&M 41, Oklahoma 13 -- http://cbsprt.co/CottonBowl13

-- Manziel finishes with 288 passing and 229 rushing. Another Heisman next year?

Wow!!!

He was 12 yards short of being only he 2nd player in HISTORY to pass for 300 and run for 200 in the same game. That's amazing to me when you think of all the players to play the game.

GO BILLS!!!

He was 12 yards short of being only he 2nd player in HISTORY to pass for 300 and run for 200 in the same game. That's amazing to me when you think of all the players to play the game.

GO BILLS!!!

Plus he had that one play that was maybe 10 yards that was a sure TD dropped by the WR that became an INT. Maybe it was even more than 12 yards I can't recall.

I'll try not use it again.

What do you mean by Alabama need further explanation of the last sentence?

There are individuals from some areas in the deep south that feel comfortable using certain derogatory terms because they "grew up with it", that's all. Not an inference on you in that regard, but that's the same reasoning.

To be fair, I also grew up with the word "retard" and the like as innocuous terms we threw around casually, so I certainly understand where you're coming from. I know that a few posters that disagree with some of your opinions have allowed their rhetoric to devolve into disrespectful diatribes and I just think it's a mistake to fight fire with fire.

My condolences for Landry Jones :oops:

One other thing.

In spite of running the ball a lot and extending plays, it didn't seem to me that he took much punishment.

Seems like his outstanding football instincts include the ability to avoid taking a beating.

Some quarterbacks on the other hand seem to attract beatings, bring it on themselves.

There are individuals from some areas in the deep south that feel comfortable using certain derogatory terms because they "grew up with it", that's all. Not an inference on you in that regard, but that's the same reasoning.

To be fair, I also grew up with the word "retard" and the like as innocuous terms we threw around casually, so I certainly understand where you're coming from. I know that a few posters that disagree with some of your opinions have allowed their rhetoric to devolve into disrespectful diatribes and I just think it's a mistake to fight fire with fire.

My condolences for Landry Jones :oops:

true, I fired off before I thought about it , you get pushed too much and you snap back.

Landry will be OK but his his OC should be fired though.

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian

Yeah.

And jones is no Bradford.

Not as accurate IMO and not as good under pressure.

Agreed 100%. Bradford is possibly a worse starting QB than Fitz and Jones isn't even close to Bradford. BB is probably a good guy but he gets manlove for guys. If Jones becomes anything more than a backup in this league, I wil lbe shocked and gladly admit I'm wrong. He's pretty much a whatever QB.

It is hilarious that BB tries to blame one of the best college coaches in Stoops for Jones not being that good. For God sakes, Stoops helped freaking Josh Heupel win a Heisman. Jones just isn't that good.

And Johnny Football is a goofy looking mofo but the kid balls. The only thing I worry is Sumlin runs a great offense for a QB. Case Keenum said NCAA passing records in it and is barely in the league. But it will be very interesting to see how Johnny Football grows as a player. It will be nearly impossible to top his freshman year.

Jones was pretty bad tonight - he was either unwilling or unable to throw the ball downfield, and his throws seemed to lack zip.

That's how Jones looks most the time. He never wows in big games. I hate hating on a college kid, but I'd get sick if the Bills drafted him as the QB of the future. He is Kelly Holcomb Jr.

Yeah, whenever I watch Jones, he's just meh. Not bad, mind you....but not good, either.

Exactly. And he is surrounded by blue chippers. We would beg for the days of Fitz if Jones ever becomes our starter.

Btw, I'd love to spend a later pick on Swope. Kid can play and slot receivers dominate in today's flag football NFL.

I get a hard time for not loving him but yup. There are reasons he was low rated coming out of HS.

Fun player but nfl transition has a lot of questions. I enjoy watching him though.

The biggest reason he was rated low was the perception he would be run oriented. Though he was a 3 Star recruit Oregon wanted him and the he uncommitted after a few months (I suspect due to rumors of sanctions but it was said his mom wanted him in Texas) and chose A&M. He's just another 3 Star QB Mack Brown said was too small to play in college. (See Drew Brees and RGIII).

I don't know why he would be low rated coming out of high school though. None of his shortcomings are shortcomings in the college game. Sure he is not prototype size, so maybe as a pure recruit he went down a few notches. But you can be great in college like that.

Good notes that he has size 15 shoes and the big hands. That could mean he will grow.

Another reason for it was playing in the small town of Kerrville, TX but he is an absolute legend throughout South Texas. Every high school coach in the area, even at the powerhouses, will tell you his scouting grade was absurd and that he's one of, if not, the best high school QB they've ever seen.

Let's see how Johnny Football does next year when he has some new O linemen. I feel Johnny is Vanilla Ice. One hit wonder

I have a feeling you're wrong, but hey, Mack Brown agrees with you. The kid can flat out play the game of football and he will only get better.

Let's see how Johnny Football does next year when he has some new O linemen. I feel Johnny is Vanilla Ice. One hit wonder

really?

he is the kind of QB that doesn't need great O-lineman like flutie

Jones was pretty bad tonight - he was either unwilling or unable to throw the ball downfield, and his throws seemed to lack zip.

he had plenty of Zip on that TD pass, the downfield throws are bc of the Offensive design which sucks, it's kinda of west coast spread where they throw short passes to control the clock. They would be better off developing a real rushing attack and a pass offense that uses the whole passing tree.

he is definitely not a runner but he can move in the pocket so I'm not worried about it.

So you wouldn't mind me calling you it? Hey mentally challenged dildo has more of a ring to it anyway. BTW it sounds like you still need to grow up.

Why do so many discussions on this forum descend into exchanges of personal attacks? Isn't there a way to disagree with someone's opinion without all of the childish name calling and character assassination. Hint: critiques or challenges of your POV is not a personal attack. Hint: if you disagree with someone's POV, try attacking their assertion and not their character or intelligence. The acrimony that these scenario's create is beyond ridiculous.

Time for some folks to grow up.

Note: Descent from soapbox now complete.

Good call he only won the heisman as a freshman and broke the all time SEC yards record held by the almighty Cam newton.

He's probably a fluke?......people love to hate.

Edited by Ryan L Billz

Thurnan is as dumb as a MOFO!

No, sorry to say BB, but you are when it comes to scouting Landry Jones. Once again, epic fail for jones. The guy is a bum and ill cry if we draft him. Did you change your draft prediction after watching how awesome he was? Is he going #1 overall now?

When standing next to teammates he really doesn't look like 6'1" 200 to me, but who knows. He looks like 5'11" 185 or so.

In his interview he said he was 6' even. With his style of play it does not matter though his movement keeps him from getting a lot of passes batted. I counted one in this game. Jones who is 6' 4" had one also. Stationary QB's get balls batted more often no matter how tall they are. Defensive lineman are tall and are taught to Batt down the ball. A 6'4" Defensive End with a decent vertical will be able to batt a ball thrown by a 6'8" QB if he is standing right in front of him.

In his interview he said he was 6' even. With his style of play it does not matter though his movement keeps him from getting a lot of passes batted. I counted one in this game. Jones who is 6' 4" had one also. Stationary QB's get balls batted more often no matter how tall they are. Defensive lineman are tall and are taught to Batt down the ball. A 6'4" Defensive End with a decent vertical will be able to batt a ball thrown by a 6'8" QB if he is standing right in front of him.

Jones had at least two passes batted down that I saw, and that was just the second half.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.