The Johnny Football game

Kelly the Dog

Manziel's quite artistic in the same way that a point guard is in basketball.

He creates angles and leverages that most quarterbacks don't see, because they don't create them.

How would you feel about Manziel if you heard a pro scout say (next year), "he's a slightly larger version of Russell Wilson?"

He's not. At all. There were more than a few things about Russell Wilson that belie his height, Johnny Football has none of those things. Manziel does other things really well though that help his game. But Wilson is different than other short guys because he has an absolute cannon for an arm, he throws perfectly over his head, he has a great knack for finding throwing lanes with a quick release while standing in the pocket, he has long arms and huge hands.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He's not. At all. There were more than a few things about Russell Wilson that belie his height, Johnny Football has none of those things. Manziel does other things really well though that help his game. But Wilson is different than other short guys because he has an absolute cannon for an arm, he throws perfectly over his head, he has a great knack for finding throwing lanes with a quick release while standing in the pocket, he has long arms and huge hands.

Is that you Buddy? It's too late. :lol:

They're both great athletes who can hurt you with their legs and use their legs to extend plays to break down the defense.

They're both accurate throwers.

They're both creative in their ad libs.

Neither has prototypical size.

They're both great athletes who can hurt you with their legs and use their legs to extend plays to break down the defense.

So anyways Kelly, I wasn't saying that they're the identical player.

Only that they have some remarkable similarities.

IMO.

True but there are a lot of college QBs who lack size that are great in college but cannot do it in the NFL because they don't have cannons for arms (Manziel has a good arm, not a cannon, and he wins up to throw it hard or deep, which will kill him and kills almost all other smaller guys in the pros), he doesn't have the knack for finding throwing lanes, he runs around and throws sidearm and off his back foot (which gets guys killed in the NFL), he doesn't have the great throwing motion or long arms and mechanics, which allows Wilson to get the ball out higher than his 5'11" guy but more like a 6'2" guy.

I love Johnny Football, don't get me wrong, but Wilson was a freak. Manziel is a Flutie kind of guy, although more accurate (and Flutie would have a little harder time now that players seem to average an inch or two more in height across the board than when he played.

BTW, in spite of his very unorthodox throwing style (what some would characterize as bad mechanics) Manziel has looked very accurate.

In that particular regard, I think the earlier comparison to Favre is legit too.

I agree with that. He's really accurate. It will be interesting to see him develop. Hopefully he will grow an inch or so and put on 10-15 pounds. He's what, 19? Maybe 20? Gotta love watching him now. Would be great for the NFL if he could play (although another thing I fear is that he is slender and would get killed. Russell Wilson is built and pretty big for his weight.)

True but there are a lot of college QBs who lack size that are great in college but cannot do it in the NFL because they don't have cannons for arms (Manziel has a good arm, not a cannon, and he wins up to throw it hard or deep, which will kill him and kills almost all other smaller guys in the pros), he doesn't have the knack for finding throwing lanes, he runs around and throws sidearm and off his back foot (which gets guys killed in the NFL), he doesn't have the great throwing motion or long arms and mechanics, which allows Wilson to get the ball out higher than his 5'11" guy but more like a 6'2" guy.

I love Johnny Football, don't get me wrong, but Wilson was a freak. Manziel is a Flutie kind of guy, although more accurate (and Flutie would have a little harder time now that players seem to average an inch or two more in height across the board than when he played.

I get a hard time for not loving him but yup. There are reasons he was low rated coming out of HS.

Fun player but nfl transition has a lot of questions. I enjoy watching him though.

I get a hard time for not loving him but yup. There are reasons he was low rated coming out of HS.

Fun player but nfl transition has a lot of questions. I enjoy watching him though.

I don't know why he would be low rated coming out of high school though. None of his shortcomings are shortcomings in the college game. Sure he is not prototype size, so maybe as a pure recruit he went down a few notches. But you can be great in college like that.

Good notes that he has size 15 shoes and the big hands. That could mean he will grow.

I get judging a guys pro potential by what you see in college, but now their high school rankings are a factor? No denying he is a hell of a college player and colleges would rather have him over almost every other top rated high school prospect.

Edited by buffaloboyinATL

Good notes that he has size 15 shoes and the big hands. That could mean he will grow.

Not only that. It would explain his ability to master the football even on plays where he exhibits unorthodox mechanics.

Besides their height, Manziel couldn't be more different than Drew Brees but one thing which is a great equalizer for Brees is his 10.5" hands.

If Manziel has big paws that's promising even if he doesn't get taller.

Let Jones air it out for the love of God.

No those Morons would rather run now when it's over, maybe if they tried that earlier they wouldn't be so down. Plus their run attack consist mostly of draws and fly sweeps, i'ts really one of the worst run designs I have ever seen, it's amazing that Jones has done as well as he has.

I get judging a guys pro potential by what you see in college, but now their high school rankings are a factor? No denying he is a hell of a college player and colleges would rather have him over almost every other top rated high school prospect.

Right - discussing a red shirt freshman qb, mentioning his rivals or espn rankings coming out of HS is absurd. Please forgive. I don't follow them closely but I know a few people that are big into it and discussed him a bit more than most freshman qbs I could sound off on. Being an SEC addition he got some attention down here.

The kids had a hell of a season. He's got some stuff that is likely to hold him back long term in my opinion - that's all.

Edited by NoSaint

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.