Ken Whisenhunt for HC?

PromoTheRobot

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HUH??? Wisenhunt was given the keys to pick personal and the funds to back it up...plus he was in the weakest division in football (until the past 2 yrs). He had a decent team with Warner but struggled since his retirement. I say NO! for HC but I like as a OC...

Got a link that says Whisenhunt made the personel decisions and given a blank check?

The Cardinals are my adopted NFC team and have followed them for ten years, watching almost as intently as being a Bills fan.

Whisenhunt wouldn't be an inspiring choice by Buddy and the gang. I hate coaches that refuse to adapt to changing circumstances on the field and the game and Whisenhunt was ten times more stubborn in changing anything than Chan Gailey ever was. He never changed the plan to adapt to the skill set of his quarterback most importantly. That stonecutter mentality just doesn't work in the NFL anymore and I'd hate to see the Bills get another one.

One thing I remembered from almost a decade ago...The Steelers were very happy to let Mike Mularkey go as the OC (to become the HC in Buffalo) along with his QB coach Tom Clements and replaced him with Ken Wishenhunt. At that point there were several articles as to whether the Bills made the error of hiring the wrong coach.

Of course, the Bills also did not have LeBeau under contract and hence could not hire him as their DC. LeBeau went to run a top-5 defense in Pittsburgh for the past 8 years.

I think Whisenhunt is going to be the guy. With the announcement of Whaley's increased role and GM in waiting tag, I would expect him to have somewhat of a say as to who gets hired, as the GM and HC relationship on a football team has to be intrinsic, and with them having worked together in Pittsburgh and having a good feel for each other, I'd expect them to announce his hiring by this weekend.

I really liked him a few years back, but everyone can't blame everyone else. The GM works in team with the coach. So if the players were why they were terrible, the coach owns that too.

Also, if the defensive coordinator is in-demand, then where did the mess come from?

I'm not going to pretend I know what the answer is, but I just don't understand how Arizona can end like they did, and then have their Head Coach get another job immediately and their DC get promoted. Doesn't make sense to me

One thing I remembered from almost a decade ago...The Steelers were very happy to let Mike Mularkey go as the OC (to become the HC in Buffalo) along with his QB coach Tom Clements and replaced him with Ken Wishenhunt. At that point there were several articles as to whether the Bills made the error of hiring the wrong coach.

Of course, the Bills also did not have LeBeau under contract and hence could not hire him as their DC. LeBeau went to run a top-5 defense in Pittsburgh for the past 8 years.

Clement is also a head coaching candidate. It's amazing what the right players can do for your reputation.

I really liked him a few years back, but everyone can't blame everyone else. The GM works in team with the coach. So if the players were why they were terrible, the coach owns that too.

You know, I used to say this back in the glory days. Many of my friends thought that Polian was God and built the Bills and that Marv just got lucky to have all that talent.........I always asked "Do you think that Marv didn't have a lot of say in who the Bills drafted, etc?"..........I think all coaches do and I heard Russ say it today........ Plus, Marv is who taught Polian and Butler, not the other way around.

Shanahan is a genius when he has Elway and Griffin at QB. Without a brilliant quarterback, he looks like a bumb.

Yeah it's not like he went to the AFC Championship with Jake Plummer and consistently beat Bill Belichick coached teams or anything.....Oh wait that's exactly what he did. No he didn't have the overall sucess he had with Elway but Shanahan for all intents and purposes has been a good coach even without John Elway. It's kinda hard to replicate success without one of the best qb's ever. Getting solid years out of the likes of Brian Girese and Jake Plummer though pretty impressive.

I wouldn't hate it too much if we got the Whizz. But at the same time I think we can do better. The only time the Whizz' teams were good was he had Kurt Warner. And, he's the genius who started Lienert over Warner. If we do get him, we really need to get a good QB and WRs.

Shanahan is a genius when he has Elway and Griffin at QB. Without a brilliant quarterback, he looks like a bumb.

No, Shanahan is a genius when he has Terrell Davis and Alfred Morris at Running back.

Shanny never won crap until he got a good running back in Denver, even with Elway. And the local folks in DC believe Morris should be Rookie of year not RGIII.

No, Shanahan is a genius when he has Terrell Davis and Alfred Morris at Running back.

Shanny never won crap until he got a good running back in Denver, even with Elway. And the local folks in DC believe Morris should be Rookie of year not RGIII.

Shanahan needs both a good RB and QB to win. He had Elway/Davis and now RGII/Morris. Though give credit to him for making it work. Norv Turner could not make Rivers/Mathews tandem work.

Were it not for an injury to Matt Leinart, Kurt Warner would have stayed on the bench. I'll never forget he almost got Anquan Boldin killed with a broken jaw from a vicious hit against the Jets by trying to score TDs in a lopsided game when the Cards were hopelessly behind. I do not trust Whisenhunt's judgement. Do not want him in Buffalo as the next HC.

You know, many HERE wanted Leinart. He was a consensus first-round QB as Barkley is today (though many of us have heightened reservations on him precisely BECAUSE Sanchez and Leinart have had mediocre careers). Don't treat it like the Cards made some colossal mistake. They drafted their QB of the future, I'm sure the rookie coach Whisenhunt was supportive of that decision but also had to hitch a wagon to his QB. Many coaches would not let a player lose his job to injury. Collarbone is significant and lengthy enough for a QB that things lined up. I'd give Whisenhunt a little credit for bringing in Warner and knowing what to do with him.

Shanahan needs both a good RB and QB to win. He had Elway/Davis and now RGII/Morris. Though give credit to him for making it work. Norv Turner could not make Rivers/Mathews tandem work.

Come on. Can you not say that most coaches would do fairly well with that arrangement? That's ludicrous. Shanahan has two titles and led a strong Raiders team before Al Davis lost his mind for the 30th time.