Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ive heard from a friend John Gruden was/is at Tempo with Russ Brandon....

Take it for what its worth!

My sources are reliable! And very knowledgeable about Bills football....

I hope this turns out to be just a rumor.

If you are John Gruden, why in the world would you take the Buffalo job.?

Crickets....

#1 - Money

#2 - You get a chance to pick your own QB, which is not a small deal

#3 - You have some decent players to work with with )Spiller, Johnson, the D-Line, the O-line when healthy) but there's enough immediate room to make your own mark and bring in your own guys.

#4 - Arrogance - all football coaches are arrogant, think they can fix everything, and honesty some like the challenge

Given that I think he's a long shot but with the new lease stability you never know. Who do we think he'd tab as his coordinators? Here's my guess.

OC - Marc Trestman

DC - Raheem Morris

ST - Bobby April after Philly cans him.

It's also possible Russ was asking him about his former QBs coach in Oakland, David Shaw.

#1 - Money

#3 - You have some decent players to work with with )Spiller, Johnson, the D-Line, the O-line when healthy) but there's enough immediate room to make your own mark and bring in your own guys.

#4 - Arrogance - all football coaches are arrogant, think they can fix everything, and honesty some like the challenge

Given that I think he's a long shot but with the new lease stability you never know. Who do we think he'd tab as his coordinators? Here's my guess.

OC - Marc Trestman

DC - Raheem Morris

It's also possible Russ was asking him about his former QBs coach in Oakland, David Shaw.

chucky usually calls his own plays ALA Chan Failey

Now I feel like a jerk. Sorry. I hope you're right, but I'm just tired of getting burned on intriguing Bills rumors.

Its ok! I have thick skin! I feel the same! Id never post this if i heard it from someone else! But my source knows Bills football inside and out!

I find it hard to believe that John Gruden would be spending Christmas in Buffalo...but you never know!

Either way, anything that would get him off MNF is cool with me!

Well, if your wanting a change pronto. And Chucky is your target, Gruden and the MNF cast said their goodbyes last night for the season. MNF is done for the year............

So having dinner is possible, before he heads to Philly for breakfast in the morning.

Me, too. FWIW, I hope you're right but my first thought was similar to what 'thebandit27' posted...what about the 'Rooney Rule'? Any minority candidate interview would seem like a total sham if they really were hell bent on Gruden. We shall see, I guess. Happy holidays! :beer:

The Rooney Rule itself is a sham, and it doesn't say you have to interview a minority candidate first. Just that one has to be interviewed.

#1 - Money

OC - Marc Trestman

DC - Raheem Morris

A guy like Gruden wants a QB before he comes to town, not just a choice to make, (EDIT: unless there's a top QB prospect coming out and the team is able to get that player). And David Shaw just re-signed with Stanford.

This is sounding more and more like the Shanahan thing after DJ was fired. Just not realistic, and if true, reminds me of what happened to Sparano in 2011 with Jim Harbaugh.

Edited by BillsVet

The Rooney Rule itself is a sham, and it doesn't say you have to interview a minority candidate first. Just that one has to be interviewed.

Right, but coaches aren't stupid. If the Bills are hell-bent on getting Gruden, and may already have a deal in place to hire him, what self-respecting candidate--minority or otherwise--is going to take a sham interview? You really can't make them, and the Fritz Pollard Alliance is definitely going to play close attention to any minority interview that appears to be offered just in the interest of fulfilling a requirement.

Its ok! I have thick skin! I feel the same! Id never post this if i heard it from someone else! But my source knows Bills football inside and out!

Unfortunately; I started the rumor in the "Thurman Thomas" thread. Post # 67 @ 6:11 pm. And it was only in fun. And as a fan

for almost 39 years I have to laugh to keep myself from crying.

Right, but coaches aren't stupid. If the Bills are hell-bent on getting Gruden, and may already have a deal in place to hire him, what self-respecting candidate--minority or otherwise--is going to take a sham interview? You really can't make them, and the Fritz Pollard Alliance is definitely going to play close attention to any minority interview that appears to be offered just in the interest of fulfilling a requirement.

Remember when Matt Millen hired Steve Mariucci in Detroit? He was fined $250,000.

People have been accepting these scam interviews since the rule has been in place. There's always someone that will take it, even if just for experience. AS far as outside perception/retribution, they have no leg to stand on. Sham rule leads to sham interviews. Don't like it, get rid of the rule.