Buffalo Bills Pursuing Continuity With Buddy Nix, Chan Gailey

ThrowingFitz

My concern is that Fitz is made the fall guy, and Chan is brought back and allowed to draft "his guy" at QB in the first round. Because I expect that "his guy" would be cut out of the Blaine Gabbert/Christian Ponder/Jake Locker mold, and the team would fail miserably. But that sets up Gailey to be the fall guy in 2013, and whatever new coach is hired will stick with Blaikian Plockert for another year or two and continue to fail miserably. That sets up Nix to be the fall guy, and at that point, it's a "blow it up" situation. I feel like there's some merit in continuity, but more on the GM level, and with the understanding that we need an upgrade at QB. I really think there's enough talent on this team right now to make the playoffs, and that's *with* Fitz at QB. Improve the coaching and QB, draft well and re-sign our free agents, and we could really build something.

I'm about to get burnt at the stakes for this one, but here it goes. I agree with everything you just said. All that can happen if we pick the wrong QB. How about we offer up our 1st, Fitzpatrick and Spiller for Philip Rivers? Flame away.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm about to get burnt at the stakes for this one, but here it goes. I agree with everything you just said. All that can happen if we pick the wrong QB. How about we offer up our 1st, Fitzpatrick and Spiller for Philip Rivers? Flame away.

I dont like that trade at all because Spiller is that good. But more importantly, SD will have no interest in a guy like Fitz...if they trade Rivers its to bring a new guy along.

Most importantly, Rivers will not be traded. The new regime will try and find him some weapons before they just give up on him. It wasnt that long ago he was a top 8 QB easily, but he lost a lot of weapons and his OL is terrible. He is one guy that has some legit reasons for a drop in play.

I dont like that trade at all because Spiller is that good. But more importantly, SD will have no interest in a guy like Fitz...if they trade Rivers its to bring a new guy along.

Most importantly, Rivers will not be traded. The new regime will try and find him some weapons before they just give up on him. It wasnt that long ago he was a top 8 QB easily, but he lost a lot of weapons and his OL is terrible. He is one guy that has some legit reasons for a drop in play.

I'm not too sure of that. They might accept the deal. You said it yourself, Spiller is just that good. Rivers was drafted in '04, and SD needs to rebuild. Not a bad way to start with two 1st rounders (one from us) and CJ.

Running backs are easy to find. QBs aren't.

There was a graphic on ESPN today: What QBs lead the league in interceptions?

Here is the order:

1) Mark Sanchez

2) Philip Rivers

3) Ryan Fitzpatrick

There was a graphic on ESPN today: What QBs lead the league in interceptions?

Here is the order:

1) Mark Sanchez

2) Philip Rivers

3) Ryan Fitzpatrick

I'm aware, but that doesn't change my opinion on Rivers. His offensive line is, and has been, one of the worst in the league. He also goes downfield a lot, way more than Fitzy and yet he only has 3 more turnovers.

Only fools would support this team as is and as it has been for too long. Act like you have a vertebrae and do not support a product that disregards its purchasers even if it means that product will cease to exist.

Not a troll, rather a passionate Bills fan.

Not a fan, more like a troll / fanatic to keep defending one of the worst head coaches in Bills history.

Sorry Mrs Gailey, but this owner is going to wake from his coma and fire some people after this season regardless of what you or Buddy Nix wants. :lol:

Only fools would support this team as is and as it has been for too long. Act like you have a vertebrae and do not support a product that disregards its purchasers even if it means that product will cease to exist.

I travel up to Buffalo every year to catch a Bills game. This year I decided to wait and see. I saw. I'm not going. I'll come up in the middle of February for some skiing and catching up with friends, instead.

I fully get the point of continuity. As Bills fan's we've seen front offices and coaching regimes walk in and walk on out and we've been stuck in this 3 year cycle. Coaching changes no longer excite me. No one worth their salt will work for Ralph Wilson and the last gm who did was pushed out for Marv Levy who made the whole mess even worse. The problem isn't the gm or the coaches. The problem is the owner. Just enjoy having a team we will never see the Bills win as long as Ralph owns this organization.

The problem was and continues to be inadequate play at the QB position.

Ok. I'm trying to stay from this thread but I just can't hold it anymore.

FWIW, I agree that continuity is the better way to go. I agree that Chan could probably do much better with a better QB leading the team. I agree that with the defense either continuing to improve with what we've got, or with a new DC and a few more pieces he'd be better. And I agree that no real coach would want to come to this sinking ship of a franchise.

However, here's a few things that should be clear why we want Gailey to be fired immediately.

-regardless how bad the QB position is, Chan has refused to run the ball more. The inability to utilize Freddy and CJ more as our offenses best weapons.

-the horrible time management, player management, gametime decisions, and inability to get this team into the winning mentality.

-regardless if the defense is not his thing, he hand picked his DC. He still refuses, no matter how bad, to speak of the unit. Your the HC, you must have accountability.

-even if we did manage to get the best young rookie QB in the draft, does anyone really think he starts over Fitz? Chan has married himself to Fitz and it should be his demise. Also, even if the QB was picked up, do you really trust Chan as the one to coach him? I sure don't.

-no matter who the next HC is, he's gotta be better than Chan and his 15-33 record.

At the end of the day, we could have all the weapons in place and Chan would still make the wrong personnel decisions on game day. Would still make all the wrong play calls in game day. Would still be a losing coach.

That's all I have to say. I have no faith in Gailey. If he's here, ill still be buying season tickets because I love this team. Because I love the NFL experience. But I have no hope for this team until Chan is gone as our HC or he proves me wrong and were playing in January.

NFN, but did you ever stop to think that if you stop buying season tickets and many others follow that perhaps this owner will finally wake up and hire a top head coach like he did in years past.

This owner KNOWS who to hire, he just refuses to do that until the fans force him to.

SD would never do that, but I'd do that in a NY minute if I were the Bills. This league is all about the QB, and Rivers is very good. He's in a bad situation right now, but he has good years left in him. He's had many, many excellent years, and he's neither ancient nor in physical decline. But SD would never make that trade for a RB that is essentially supplemental to winning rather than the key to winning. The Bills don't win because of RBs; they win because of either QB play or a dominating defense. Hence they don't win. This is despite a series of elite RBs in the past decade, three of whom may wind up with 10,000 yards: McGahee, Lynch, and Spiller if he stays healthy. Hell, the Vikings are *lucky* to be 8-6, and I suspect they won't make the playoffs. And their RB may end up with the best season in the history of the game.

Look at the Pats when it comes to RBs. They are interchangeable parts. QBs are not. Presumably, SD knows this.

Edited by dave mcbride

We've done that in the past, MM and Jauron, 3 years and out, didn't work.

Wrong. If you're going to try and defend the "continuity" BS, at least back it with some facts.

Mularkey quit after his second season... My guess is, he saw the dysfunction in the organization (specifically, the Front Office) and said "No thanks."

Jauron got a 4th season, as you're suggesting with Gailey. Jauron was then fired midseason.

The last Bills Coach to get 3 years was Gregg Williams and he was 17-31 in those three years. Chan Gailey would need to win these final two games to even get to that mark.

At least Gregg Williams and Mike Mularkey were "hot coordinators" at the time of their hire and at least Jauron had held a Head Coaching job in the 21st Century before becoming the Bills Head Coach. Gailey was out of football after being fired by Kansas City as an Offensive Coordinator.

Gailey has a worse record as Bills' Head Coach than Williams, Mularkey and Jauron. It could also be argued that Gailey has had more talent than all of those three coaches had during their tenure as well. He definitely has more talent than Jauron ever did, yet, Jauron has a significantly better record as Bills head coach than Gailey does.

The problem isn't "disrupting continuity." The problem is not hiring the right guy to get positive continuity from in the first place. Unfortunately, those guys usally cost a bit more money and, well, the TV contracts don't pay for coaching staffs and front offices, like they do the players... That all comes out of the owner's wallet.

-Bill

If anyone buys this crap, I'm gonna puke. If Gailey is the coach in 2013, I hope the fans are smart enough to hold off on any purchase of tickets, season or otherwise until mid October. If th the Bills want fan support, make these bastards earn it the old fashioned way... one win at a time.

It's the only way. Week 17 should feature Paper bag masks and FIRE GAILEY posters. If the fans put this team in a corner, they will have no choice but to s#!t-can Chan. Season ticket holders need to hold off in 2013 until Gailey, and his entire coaching staff (including Wanny) is gone.

Edited by #34fan

All I'm going to say to anyone wanting continuity. Is the only continuity you'll get out of Chan being back again next year is another losing season.

Saying that the 3 years and out changes haven't worked in the past is just as stupid as hoping for Chan to all of the sudden have a winning season.

His record is 15-31 at the moment. It's looking like hell be finishing at 15-33. That is the worst, or 2nd worst record in 3 years by any team in the last 3 years. That says a lot. He also has a worse record than Juron, Williams, Mularkey, and Phillips. Of all the horrible coaches we've had in the last 15+ years, he has the worst record of then all. That says A LOT.

He must go.

NFN, but did you ever stop to think that if you stop buying season tickets and many others follow that perhaps this owner will finally wake up and hire a top head coach like he did in years past.

This owner KNOWS who to hire, he just refuses to do that until the fans force him to.

First of all. I HATE the saying "nothin for nothin" it's absolutely stupid.

Second- Didnt you read my post? I said I love this team and I love the football experience. As long as the team is here, I will gladly spend a minuscule amount of $440 for a season ticket. At the very least, it's fun to hang with friends on Sundays. Drink some beers. And have some good food at a tailgate.

And if I ever leave the city of Buffalo and to a city where another NFL team plays, ill be a season ticket holder to that team as well.

Again, I LOVE THIS TEAM, I LOVE THE NFL EXPERIENCE!!! It is absolutely worth it to go to games on Sundays. Maybe you don't live here and don't have the availability to go to every home game. I DO! I WILL! Regardless of the product in the field.

My other issue is this guy has no bravado, no machismo, no balls, no fire, no heart...and with coincidence, neither does this team. Instead, he comes out and says "the effort was there" and crap like that. This team needs someone who is going to get fired up, inspire, intimidate, motivate, and dominate out on that field. He coaches like a pansy, and quite frankly his game management and clock management is a joke. Why build continuity around that? I would understand if we just did not have enough talent on the field and we needed more time to allot for that, but there is enough talent on this team to win more games than we do. And quite frankly, several losses were on his shoulders because of decisions he's made. Time for a change...but it wont happen unfortunately.

I, for one, don't believe Gailey gets heckled, chided, or haranged enough at home games. IMO, he's had an easy go of it, considering his massive failure.For fans going to the Jets game, this could be your LAST CHANCE to save this team. FIRE CHAN GAILEY posters should be in the hands of every Billiever old enough to hold one.Fan complacency has allowed Gailey/Nix to believe we'll accept whater garbage product they put on the field.Vicious verbal harrassment by the Bills fanhood is the only answer. Gailey and his entire coaching staff must go.

Edited by #34fan

If anyone buys this crap, I'm gonna puke. If Gailey is the coach in 2013, I hope the fans are smart enough to hold off on any purchase of tickets, season or otherwise until mid October. If th the Bills want fan support, make these bastards earn it the old fashioned way... one win at a time.

they will all be there come september, tickets to bills game as so cheap, if you don't buy em, someone else will... for most bills fans it all about the drunken orgy before the game anyways

I fully get the point of continuity. As Bills fan's we've seen front offices and coaching regimes walk in and walk on out and we've been stuck in this 3 year cycle. Coaching changes no longer excite me. No one worth their salt will work for Ralph Wilson and the last gm who did was pushed out for Marv Levy who made the whole mess even worse. The problem isn't the gm or the coaches. The problem is the owner. Just enjoy having a team we will never see the Bills win as long as Ralph owns this organization.

100% correct

I'm aware, but that doesn't change my opinion on Rivers. His offensive line is, and has been, one of the worst in the league. He also goes downfield a lot, way more than Fitzy and yet he only has 3 more turnovers.

FWIW...since he entered the league no player is responsible for more turnovers than Rivers.

Really I am so split on this idea. On one hand I want Gaily gone so badly but Nix does make sense. I just think continuity should take place if there was hope of improvement. I think this current regime peaked at the end of the 2009 and beginning of 2010 seasons. I guess at least the organization is trying something new?

http://www.buffaloru...han-gailey-2013

This entire article is speculation based on a Nix quote from November 2.

Did you read any of my posts?

The biggest problem with what you just said is nobody knew if Harbaugh would be this good. It's hit or miss, plenty of college coaches have tried and failed. What's you point with this?

Of course nobody knew if Harbaugh would be this good. But I think people looked at his track record developing college QB and winning and his personality and said "worth a try".

Chan had none of that at Georgia Tech. He was less worth a try. Once we did try, it may have been worth finishing the experiment by giving 3 years, but the experiment is over.

By the "nobody knew if XXXXX would be this good" logic, no one should ever try something new -- a high draftee at QB, a college coach with a great intensity and a good record.

Someone said it earlier - continuity only matters if what you're continuing is worth continuing. Losing is by definition, not worth continuing. If we were 7-9 or even 5-11 but I felt Gailey and his assistants were getting the best they could out of the team and utilizing their best players effectively, I'd say go for it, we're just missing a few pieces. But they're not, on neither count and everyone can see it.

Edited by Hopeful

Of course nobody knew if Harbaugh would be this good. But I think people looked at his track record developing college QB and winning and his personality and said "worth a try".

Chan had none of that at Georgia Tech. He was less worth a try. Once we did try, it may have been worth finishing the experiment by giving 3 years, but the experiment is over.

By the "nobody knew if XXXXX would be this good" logic, no one should ever try something new -- a high draftee at QB, a college coach with a great intensity and a good record.

Someone said it earlier - continuity only matters if what you're continuing is worth continuing. Losing is by definition, not worth continuing. If we were 7-9 or even 5-11 but I felt Gailey and his assistants were getting the best they could out of the team and utilizing their best players effectively, I'd say go for it, we're just missing a few pieces. But they're not, on neither count and everyone can see it.

What I'm saying, is there have been plenty of coaches that have had a "track record" of success. Look at Spurrier for example, everyone thought he would be a good NFL coach. What happened? Track record does not always translate into a good coach, and for the most part, new NFL coaches go through a couple of years of turmoil before they are anything, IF they will be anything. Sure, you can point to RECENT coaches, but over the history of the NFL, which people like to so quickly forget, those coaches don't fair quite as well as often as people like to believe.

Continuity would actually be a departure of the same old same old at OBD, they have rinced and repeated 3 years and out, and it hasn't worked. Time for a change. I wasn't about this when it was Jauron, but now I feel we need to stay the course. Yes, things can change, and they do, often, in the NFL. Next year we could be talking about 8-5 rather than 5-8 under the same regime. Nobody wants to believe it, everyone wants to point to what has been done recently, but a coach can change concepts yearly and can change the entire complexion of the team by tweaking things here and there. A wholesale change is not needed.

Getting rid of 'bums' works. Replacing them with other 'bums' does not.

For obvious reasons, I will not directly challenge you

A lot of long winded discussion which I can simply equate to ham sandwich supports this losing culture.....ignoring the running game.....losing by 50.....no positives whatsoever w gailey. If you can come up with one that would be nice

Losing is awesome.... Can I have some more sir

What I'm saying, is there have been plenty of coaches that have had a "track record" of success. Look at Spurrier for example, everyone thought he would be a good NFL coach. What happened? Track record does not always translate into a good coach, and for the most part, new NFL coaches go through a couple of years of turmoil before they are anything, IF they will be anything. Sure, you can point to RECENT coaches, but over the history of the NFL, which people like to so quickly forget, those coaches don't fair quite as well as often as people like to believe.

Continuity would actually be a departure of the same old same old at OBD, they have rinced and repeated 3 years and out, and it hasn't worked. Time for a change. I wasn't about this when it was Jauron, but now I feel we need to stay the course. Yes, things can change, and they do, often, in the NFL. Next year we could be talking about 8-5 rather than 5-8 under the same regime. Nobody wants to believe it, everyone wants to point to what has been done recently, but a coach can change concepts yearly and can change the entire complexion of the team by tweaking things here and there. A wholesale change is not needed.

What is there to challenge ? If the next coach is as terrible as gailey then we will stink again...if the new coach is better then boom we will have some results and not get blown out every week.

A lot of long winded discussion which I can simply equate to ham sandwich supports this losing culture.....ignoring the running game.....losing by 50.....no positives whatsoever w gailey. If you can come up with one that would be nice

Losing is awesome.... Can I have some more sir

What is there to challenge ? If the next coach is as terrible as gailey then we will stink again...if the new coach is better then boom we will have some results and not get blown out every week.

Your premise is that Gailey WILL be just as bad next year. I'm saying, thats not necessarily true. Agree to disagree.

Obvious reasons for not challenging him directly has nothing to do with the topic itself.

Yes. I expect Gailey to be just as bad next year. Expecting people to do something different or better than they have done in the past in what leads to dissappointment and failure.

When Gailey was hired I liked it and thought he fit the profile of a coach that could lead this team to the Superbowl. He has had his chance.

When the opposing teams are repeatedly sitting on the sidelines laughing in the 3rd quarter someone needs to take the fall.

Edited by bmur66

Your premise is that Gailey WILL be just as bad next year. I'm saying, thats not necessarily true. Agree to disagree.

Obvious reasons for not challenging him directly has nothing to do with the topic itself.

i just want you to list one positive influence that gailey will have. I can't come up with one.

I think we're having a discussion, not challenging each other.

You want continuity. Provide 5 specific reasons for retaining Chan Gailey. I'll provide 5 specific reasons for not retaining him.

1. He is a terrible game manager. Clock management, use of time outs, use of challenges are not sufficient for an NFL head coach.

2. He does not put his players in the best position to succeed. He takes what the defense gives (passing opportunities) rather than do what this team does best (run the ball). He runs empty backfield on 3rd and 3 thereby taking the threat of the run out of the equation.

3. He is unwilling to involve himself in the defense or special teams.

4. He does not inspire the team or fans.

5. He averages 5 wins a season.

Here is a list of reasons why continuity makes the most sense.

• The Bills are completely incapable of hiring anyone better. They shouldn't even try so as to avoid the embarrassment.
  • 15-31 is good enough for a city like Buffalo. The fans should genuflect and be thankful for it.
  • Not even reaching the same winning percentage level as Dick Jauron, the coach fired in-season and that the team Photoshopped out of its official picture, is perfectly acceptable and a clear indication that things are being built the right way.
  • In the 3rd year of your rebuild, fielding potentially the worst defense in Buffalo Bills history is another indication that you're pitching a perfect game and got things going in the right direction.
  • With a defense that has been a freak show and hasn't improved, an offense that has regressed badly, and football follies across the board, it makes perfect sense to assume that more time and time alone will fix all the problems.
  • Poor decision making and lack of direction and leadership from the top on down to the bottom is well-known to correct itself in a highly-competitive environment by taking no action and making no changes.

You jump out of the station wagon and "tweak" Gailey. We'll sit here and watch. :)

How much tweaking of the systems do you see Gailey and Wannstedt doing? Be honest.

How does "tweaking the system" help when the players have quit? How does the same guy walk into the same room and say "Listen up, I'm going to tweak a few things!" and turn into a leader of a group of guys that aren't even interested in trying? Are you expecting more than muffled laughter?

Agreed, he has to go, you can't tweak not having a sack, you can't tweak game day mismanagement, you can't tweak having

your head up your arse a crtitical times in a game, you can't tweak being emotion and punchless on the sideline, and another

thing, wtf is with those granny glasses, doesn't he relaize that they make contacts now that allow you to see up close and

far away? I realize that the last one is a bit personal, but I'm just sayin!!

I notice you're still ducking my questions. Here they are again, to save you the trouble of going back a page:

1. "Would the 49ers have righted the ship (winning records, playoff appearances, etc.) by keeping one of the coaches they fired from 2003-2012 instead of firing them?"

2. "Would the Bills have made the playoffs by now if Gregg Williams, Mike Mularkey, or Dick Jauron had been retained as head coach?"

I'm guessing the answer to #2 is no, based on your comments above? But I'll be honest, I'm having trouble understanding your argument here. You say that blowing things up after 3 years won't lead to winning, and use Spurrier as an example of a guy who was thought to be the savior, but sucked. But Gailey's just as bad. Shouldn't the Redskins have kept Spurrier in the sake of continuity? You say you weren't on board with giving Jauron a 4th year, but you are for Gailey. Why? In hindsight, do you wish we'd kept Jauron longer and given him a 5th year? If not, what has Gailey shown you in the last 3 years that suggests that unlike Jauron, he is a good coach that will turn things around? How is Gailey different from Spurrier or Jauron?

Gailey and his teams have gotten worse each year, with more talent each year then the year before, so what makes anyone think things would improve?

I'm done talking about this, apparently I get warning points for having my opinion, so I'll stop. You all know where I stand. Continuity is best for us for reasons I've highlighted. We'll leave it at that and agree to disagree. It's been fun debating, and I see where you all are coming from. It's frusterating, I understand. I'm one of the most frustrated people about this team, and my friends would call me nothing if not one of the most fanatical people about a team they have ever met. I stand by my Bills and stand by whatever decision they make. Through this all, the one thread that combines us all is that we're all fans and we only want to see the team succeed, and I can take solice in that, though our opinions may differ. They are just that, opinions.

With that said, GO BILLS!!!