What kind of car do you drive?

mrags

I can say that when I looked for cars when I bought my MB, a few stick out that were awesome sport sedans with manuals. Here's the list I found that is probably best and for that 30k range for used and maybe a little more new.

Mercedes Benz C Class

BMW 3 Series

Audi A4

Infinity G series

Lexus IS

At least these were the ones I was looking at. Pretty sure they all have manuals. If anyone is interested.

theoretically. try finding one. they're on the websites but not the lots. found a vw gtrx that fit the bill, but $37k for a vw? not from me. still i'm sure it's a fine car. had a G35 6mt. didn't consider another.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Starting to look for a mid-sized SUV. 25+ mileage would be good, needs to have some towing capacity for a snowmobile trailer. Sold my 350Z last year for more practicality so i've been ramming around in my old winter car. The wife would get the SUV and I would inherit her 07 Malibu. Just not sure what kind of SUV would fit all the criteria.

theoretically. try finding one. they're on the websites but not the lots. found a vw gtrx that fit the bill, but $37k for a vw? not from me. still i'm sure it's a fine car. had a G35 6mt. didn't consider another.

I hear ya that they are harder to find but when I was looking, I was able to find all of those cars that I listed, which was my general search. The farthest I had to drive to see one was Rochester for the G37S. Which I would have bought right in the spot, but the dealership refused to negotiate on a used vehicle. I had $10k cash with me fully intending to buy the car and drive it home and they refused. So on my way home, I called the MB dealership to let them know I was coming in for the C230.

Oh yeah, forgot to add the one sport sedan that got me started in the kick in the first place.

06-07 Mazda SPEED6. 276HP stock. Only made in manual transmission. One of the most fun cars I've ever driven.

I drove a '99 Sentra for 9 years, then totaled it. I picked up a used '99 Pathfinder to carry me a few months and ended up driving for 4 years. I finally decided I needed something new. I wanted another Nissan but decided to call my friend who used to sell cars. I told him I'd go for something used like a Sentra or an Altima if he could point me in the direction of a good deal. He ended up taking to the Hyundai dealership where he used to be the GM. They had a couple of used Sonatas that they were looking to move. He walked in the back and just started typing on their computer and came out with a big smile. He told me to go for a test drive and he'd take care of my trade in. I ended up with a 2011 Sonata, for about $2k less than anyone else would have paid. I love the thing. The bumper-to-bumper warranty goes for 5 years/60k and I'm only at 45k now.

When the current GM sat with to set up my trial XM subscription and hook up my Bluetooth, I sheepishly said, "Sorry you didn't earn much on this sale." He laughed and said, "Big Phil (no his real name) bring someone in 3 times a month like this. He loves making us give it away but at least we're moving the product."

Later "Phil" told me that Hyundai is all about volume and selling cars like this. Nissan is similar on Altimas but Hyundai (& Kia) do their entire lines and are really about putting as many cars on the road as possible and the dealer margin is really low. He said he used to sell SUVs where the dealer cut was $10k on a $35k vehicle but he really enjoyed selling Hyundais just because he knew the stakes were lower.

Lots of good cars out there these days for safety, mileage & options.

if hyundai keeps doing what they're doing they are going to be the new benchmark, very soon. the sonata (did i mention i like turbos) is an a great car at a great price. i could have gotten my warranty extended to 10 years /100k miles for $3k through hyundai and i'm still kicking myself that i didn't. no other car company has the balls to do this. did you just get a letter saying there gonna send you a check every year that you own based on your mileage and local gas prices cuz they overestimated epa mileage figures? i was stunned. this is amazing customer service.

if hyundai keeps doing what they're doing they are going to be the new benchmark, very soon. the sonata (did i mention i like turbos) is an a great car at a great price. i could have gotten my warranty extended to 10 years /100k miles for $3k through hyundai and i'm still kicking myself that i didn't. no other car company has the balls to do this. did you just get a letter saying there gonna send you a check every year that you own based on your mileage and local gas prices cuz they overestimated epa mileage figures? i was stunned. this is amazing customer service.

Agree. Hyundai is really coming up big. The Sonatas were really the car that has vaulted them. Insanely cheap for the quality, and awesomely reliable. They only offer those ridiculous warranties because they know they will never have to pay for them. Very reliable.

Starting to look for a mid-sized SUV. 25+ mileage would be good, needs to have some towing capacity for a snowmobile trailer. Sold my 350Z last year for more practicality so i've been ramming around in my old winter car. The wife would get the SUV and I would inherit her 07 Malibu. Just not sure what kind of SUV would fit all the criteria.

hyundai santa fe. the gt elantra hatch is pretty cool too but probably underpowered to pull a snowmobile.

hyundai santa fe. the gt elantra hatch is pretty cool too but probably underpowered to pull a snowmobile.

not sure what the price range was. But the Explorer, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Durango, and Traverse all come to mind. Would probably handle the load of the OP Edited by mrags

with your name, I would have guess something else. But I cannot disagree with the A6. Pure sex on wheels. The only thing that would make it better is the S version. But not many people have over $80K to spend on an auto.

Twin turbo car. Still hauling, currently on ebay for sale

Edited by roush

Either a supercharged version or acura TL AWD

Like to many cars, hard to pick just 1.

Agree. Hyundai is really coming up big. The Sonatas were really the car that has vaulted them. Insanely cheap for the quality, and awesomely reliable. They only offer those ridiculous warranties because they know they will never have to pay for them. Very reliable.

Wasn't a huge fan of the feel of the acuras. I haven't driven but just looking at them and sitting in them, they seem like they are really heavy, especially front heavy. Just feels like they are not nimble in the corners. But that's my opinion based in looks alone. But your probably used to that since the motors in the audis are pushed forward so far.

Wasn't a huge fan of the feel of the acuras. I haven't driven but just looking at them and sitting in them, they seem like they are really heavy, especially front heavy. Just feels like they are not nimble in the corners. But that's my opinion based in looks alone. But your probably used to that since the motors in the audis are pushed forward so far.

drove the tl awd (with the saleswomen in the car - i hate that). it's not "real" awd ala subaru. that and the price killed it for me. but, no doubt, a very nice car. feels big and heavy though.

wouldn't doubt it. we wanted an wheel drive manual transmission leather interior car. next to impossible to find. wrx is one but try to find one and they're most suited for a 20 something. nobody had one car with those feature for a hundred miles that i could find and the dealers i asked said they couldn't get one. manuals are dying. i think motor trend has a "save the manuals" campaign going. i hope it helps but doubt it.

About manuals... I was torn when I picked up the last of the Jeep TJ dinosaurs new back in 2006. How can you have a Jeep and not manual? The Golden Eagle (a sport with the HD Dana 44 rear axle and light duty DANA 35 front axle... No lockers as comes w/the Rubicon) I bought had an automatic. Now here is the eternal debate. FWIW, autos are better off-roading w/a slight give and take... They can shift so much faster than you can... Especially when you are tackling bigger hills. Now, when it comes to fording water... The manual may be superior... Less chance the water will get in. Again, it is all a give and take... As a daily driver, glad I went automatic (it does shame me a bit)...

Now... The 2006 Pacifica (other car) has an "auto stick"... Use it once in a while... Wife drives that car and the transmission's computer usually adapts to her more timid driving style... Until we take it on long trips and I "re-educate" it... ;-) ;-) LoL.

Both are going strong with 100k on the Chyrsler Pac and about 80k on the Jeep... No problems as of yet.

drove the tl awd (with the saleswomen in the car - i hate that). it's not "real" awd ala subaru. that and the price killed it for me. but, no doubt, a very nice car. feels big and heavy though.

I never drive one but that's the impression I get looking at it and the impression I got while sitting behind the wheel in the showroom.

FWIW I also hate when they go for rides with you. Unless its a super hot chick. Then it's ok.

About manuals... I was torn when I picked up the last of the Jeep TJ dinosaurs new back in 2006. How can you have a Jeep and not manual? The Golden Eagle (a sport with the HD Dana 44 rear axle and light duty DANA 35 front axle... No lockers as comes w/the Rubicon) I bought had an automatic. Now here is the eternal debate. FWIW, autos are better off-roading w/a slight give and take... They can shift so much faster than you can... Especially when you are tackling bigger hills. Now, when it comes to fording water... The manual may be superior... Less chance the water will get in. Again, it is all a give and take... As a daily driver, glad I went automatic (it does shame me a bit)...

Now... The 2006 Pacifica (other car) has an "auto stick"... Use it once in a while... Wife drives that car and the transmission's computer usually adapts to her more timid driving style... Until we take it on long trips and I "re-educate" it... ;-) ;-) LoL.

Both are going strong with 100k on the Chyrsler Pac and about 80k on the Jeep... No problems as of yet.

there's nothing like using your left foot while driving. just seems to impart control...don't know if it actually does. but then, i picked what my wife calls an old man's car, with an 8 speed auto. never know when it shifts.

What is a "not real AWD?"

My Pac is an AWD... Limited slip... The AWD is always on and monitoring wheel slippage, right? And when there is, it divides the power to other wheels...

As 4x4 goes, my 1998 Isuzu Rodeo was a beast... Didn't have limited slip... Straight up 4x4 on demand. My current Jeep (limited slip) would be nice with front and rear lockers installed but, those are pretty common aftermarket additions with a plethora of different styles (air, auto, electric, mech, etc..)

there's nothing like using your left foot while driving. just seems to impart control...don't know if it actually does. but then, i picked what my wife calls an old man's car, with an 8 speed auto. never know when it shifts.

LoL... I hear you brother! My Jeep I have been driving for 6 years... Somebody @ work just gave me sh*t this year when they seen the doors off and the auto! I said, it has been 6 years and you finally noticed it now! LoL...

I was told that you get them with the European plates when they come over. Is that true? I think that's really cool.

Some !@#$ on my block always parks his penis extension with the European plates right behind my truck. I'm going to rip those things off one of these days.

As for me, a 2007 Chevy Silverado 2500 long bed.

Some !@#$ on my block always parks his penis extension with the European plates right behind my truck. I'm going to rip those things off one of these days.

lol. Ya know, most would say those with big badass trucks use them as penis extensions. Just what I heard.

Either way, I've got one now and looking to get a different one. Lol.

I drive an 04 Pontiac Grand Prix...I have 1 payment left, very excited for that to be done. It's been a good car, very reliable (knock on wood).

The '04 Pontiacs were still made from wood?

2012 hyundai genesis...so far i love it. a bit worried about driving it in the snow. 2005 legacy gt turbo wagon we kept for that which is a damn good car even at 160k miles.

THAT is a lot of car for the money.

I drove a '99 Sentra for 9 years, then totaled it. I picked up a used '99 Pathfinder to carry me a few months and ended up driving for 4 years. I finally decided I needed something new. I wanted another Nissan but decided to call my friend who used to sell cars. I told him I'd go for something used like a Sentra or an Altima if he could point me in the direction of a good deal. He ended up taking to the Hyundai dealership where he used to be the GM. They had a couple of used Sonatas that they were looking to move. He walked in the back and just started typing on their computer and came out with a big smile. He told me to go for a test drive and he'd take care of my trade in. I ended up with a 2011 Sonata, for about $2k less than anyone else would have paid. I love the thing. The bumper-to-bumper warranty goes for 5 years/60k and I'm only at 45k now.

When the current GM sat with to set up my trial XM subscription and hook up my Bluetooth, I sheepishly said, "Sorry you didn't earn much on this sale." He laughed and said, "Big Phil (no his real name) bring someone in 3 times a month like this. He loves making us give it away but at least we're moving the product."

Later "Phil" told me that Hyundai is all about volume and selling cars like this. Nissan is similar on Altimas but Hyundai (& Kia) do their entire lines and are really about putting as many cars on the road as possible and the dealer margin is really low. He said he used to sell SUVs where the dealer cut was $10k on a $35k vehicle but he really enjoyed selling Hyundais just because he knew the stakes were lower.

Lots of good cars out there these days for safety, mileage & options.

The Hyundais and Kias do offer 10 years/100K miles which is extraordinary. Also, most of their vehicles are 5 star safety rated.

If I was going for a similar car I'd go with the Kia Optima. IMO the styling is superior to the Sonatas (which look nice too).

I drive a '03 Honda Element. I paid cash for it in '05 so no payments for going on 7 years. I've always been a car enthusiast and know all the models and what's going on in the industry but I'd rather not spend too much on stuff that depreciates. Besides zero payments, the Honda is ridiculously maintenance-free and dependable. It has 100,000 miles and runs like it's brand new.

The wife's Audi TT is very expensive to keep on the road and like every Audi I or anyone in my family ever owned, it's prone to expensive repairs. Probably gonna trade the Audi in on a Genesis Coupe this year. The 3.8 liter is 345 horsepower has an 8-speed auto although we'll probably settle for the R-spec with its 270 horse 2.0 turbo 4.

Mostly I drive my work van which is a '96 Ford E-150 with 232,000 miles on it. My employer does maintenance on it every 3000 miles and it's mechanically excellent. I've installed a rear backup camera, CD player with a auxiliary port for my iPod, and a DC to AC power inverter for my battery tools. It's a great vehicle.

You get yours directly from BMW in Germany? I had a friend I used to work with that ordered a 5 series. He had to wait a bit too.

I was told that you get them with the European plates when they come over. Is that true? I think that's really cool.

No, just bought it locally. After agreeing on the price, the sales rep got on a computer, filled out a build request for the car in about 3 minutes. The car arrived in the U.S. 8 weeks later exactly as ordered. Have had the 335 for almost 6 years and will probably keep it for several more. Great car. Had a 4 year "we do everything except wipe your butt" warranty. Maintenance cost for almost 6 years near zero.

lol. Ya know, most would say those with big badass trucks use them as penis extensions. Just what I heard.

Either way, I've got one now and looking to get a different one. Lol.

:lol: That's definitely true for some people. I actually have to haul and tow stuff with mine. Crazy stuff.

:lol: That's definitely true for some people. I actually have to haul and tow stuff with mine. Crazy stuff.

i see it all the time. A massive full size pickup or SUV, raised to add to it. And some 5'4" fellow hops out, With badass tattoos to boot.

Now now! Let's not do anything rash!

You know what is worse than those foreign plates? Purdue fans! Yes, good old Boilermaker alumni! Man, they seem to be everywhere... Worse than Steeler fans... Coming out of the wood work!

The '04 Pontiacs were still made from wood?

THAT is a lot of car for the money.

The Hyundais and Kias do offer 10 years/100K miles which is extraordinary. Also, most of their vehicles are 5 star safety rated.

If I was going for a similar car I'd go with the Kia Optima. IMO the styling is superior to the Sonatas (which look nice too).

I drive a '03 Honda Element. I paid cash for it in '05 so no payments for going on 7 years. I've always been a car enthusiast and know all the models and what's going on in the industry but I'd rather not spend too much on stuff that depreciates. Besides zero payments, the Honda is ridiculously maintenance-free and dependable. It has 100,000 miles and runs like it's brand new.

The wife's Audi TT is very expensive to keep on the road and like every Audi I or anyone in my family ever owned, it's prone to expensive repairs. Probably gonna trade the Audi in on a Genesis Coupe this year. The 3.8 liter is 345 horsepower has an 8-speed auto although we'll probably settle for the R-spec with its 270 horse 2.0 turbo 4.

Mostly I drive my work van which is a '96 Ford E-150 with 232,000 miles on it. My employer does maintenance on it every 3000 miles and it's mechanically excellent. I've installed a rear backup camera, CD player with a auxiliary port for my iPod, and a DC to AC power inverter for my battery tools. It's a great vehicle.

couple of comments: the 10/100000 drivetrain warranty IS standard. they offered me a bumper to bumper 10/100000 -not sure if this is available outside of genesis/equus.

i got the sedan. in that car, i'm not at all sure the r-spec is worth the substantial extra cost. i actually got the "base" model which is loaded with just about everything. i don't think you can buy a "stripped" hyundai.

hyundai has some work to do on their chassis. i guess koreans like the feeling of riding on a cloud cuz that's what you get. pretty damn nice for the highway. not so good on the mountain twisites. that said, the interior is cavernous rivaling a 60's era town car.

i think repair costs will be low. the dealer no charged me for the 1st oil change. after that it's 20 bucks. try to get it for that at a german badged dealership after the free maintanence runs out.

anyway, have fun. if it weren't a small town, i'd be out test driving that coupe too, but they know me now.

I hear ya that they are harder to find but when I was looking, I was able to find all of those cars that I listed, which was my general search. The farthest I had to drive to see one was Rochester for the G37S. Which I would have bought right in the spot, but the dealership refused to negotiate on a used vehicle. I had $10k cash with me fully intending to buy the car and drive it home and they refused. So on my way home, I called the MB dealership to let them know I was coming in for the C230.

Oh yeah, forgot to add the one sport sedan that got me started in the kick in the first place.

06-07 Mazda SPEED6. 276HP stock. Only made in manual transmission. One of the most fun cars I've ever driven.

I had a 2008 Mazda SPEED3, and it was an absolute blast to drive. It had 263hp stock, and I could still pull down 30mpg on the highway. I really regret trading it in. My wife could not drive stick and I really did not want to teach her on that car for both the cars and her sake. Her car is a 2003 Jeep Liberty and it is the most uncomfortable ride, so we always took my car on trips, so she couldn't help drive.

Totally my decision, but I traded it in for a 2011 CX7, which has the exact same turbo engine. Still a very nice car, but just not the same. Certainly don't feel the turbo pull like I used to, and the gas mileage is no where near as good.

3 cars in the family

My daily driver is a 2011 Jaguar XF- This car is without a doubt the best car I have ever driven.

My wife's car is a 2004 Subaru Outback, 5-speed manual. My wife loves it in the snow.

Our other car is a toy; a 1969 Red Corvette Convertible. 4- speed manual 350cc/350hp

I love to drive.

Edited by theesir

I just got this great 350Z... real cheap too!!! A guy I knew told me about a guy who had one he didn't need, I just had to take off the Georgia license plate, though. The cool thing, he must have been a Bills fan, because there was a sticker on the back.

HA! Actual lol. :thumbsup: But really, dont mention that car. Im finally about 24 hours away from closing with insurance!

Traded my 08 Solstice GXP in for a 2013 Cadillac CTS. Best car buying decision I've ever made. The Solstice was tons of fun, I recommend everyone own a roadster at least once in their life, but it was completely impractical and the wife hated it. The Caddy is a beast.

I also recently traded in an 08 Pontiac for a Caddy. I had a Grand Prix GXP that was a pretty decent car. Would take on pretty much anything in red light battles and around town. Not real great in snow or rain, and was starting to have some mechanical issues. Parts were expensive so wanted to cut my losses. Got a 2013 Cadillac ATS AWD a couple months ago. Went with the bigger engine and the top of the line trim so all the bells and whistles. So far really enjoying it. Not quite as much punch it power as the GXP but still pretty peppy and the handling and cornering is night and day.

Always was somewhat interested in the solstice GXPs. Despite the drawbacks in practicality for everyday driving, think it would be a good choice for a little weekend / toy car? I know on the surface it seems like the bang for the buck would be hard to beat!

Wife and I both love her 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. May be a little bigger and fuel economy might not be as good as what you're looking for though. Completely redesigned from previous model and all around great SUV so far. With the v8 Hemi would have plenty of juice for towing.

Wife and I both love her 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. May be a little bigger and fuel economy might not be as good as what you're looking for though. Completely redesigned from previous model and all around great SUV so far. With the v8 Hemi would have plenty of juice for towing.

This is sorta what Im dealing with now. Had just started poking around to see what the car market looked like because I wanted to get into something bigger, and then my '03 350Z was stolen the day before Thanksgiving. Love Nissans, but need to stay in that 350 6-cylinder engine at the very least, so I'm looking at some Maximas in the 2008-2012 range.

I had a 2001 Jeep Cherokee Sport before that, and loved it as well. Thinking about getting back into something like it, but they dont make the Cherokee Sport anymore.

So right now, I'm looking on carmax.com, and have my search narrowed down to:

Nissan Maxima

Jeep Liberty Sport

Jeep Wrangler (4 Doors)

Jeep Grand Cherokee

I also considered some different Subarus and Audis, but the 5 CarMax locations around me dont have any good deals in stock for those. I'm open to researching other suggestions as well, so if you got them, let me hear them.

I bought my 350Z from CarMax and it was a great experience. I don't want to buy brand new, and I just can't trust any of the million used car dealers in Atlanta.

My goal for this week is to close with insurance, get a new car by Friday, and then get on the road to Buffalo to surprise my family for Xmas (as they think Im going to be stuck in Atlanta with no car, which is true right now). Wish me luck!