What kind of car do you drive?

mrags

I do, had my A6 for over seven years and it has over 119000 miles.

Sounds like a bad move to me! Must have fallen down and hurt yourself . Joking

I was just joking... As a poor slob, I drive my vehicles until they die OR can't serve a purpose anymore (say need more or less room).

Now, the rich slob... Who cares, they just get a new one when they need wipers and tires.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To the OP...highly recommend the Tundra if you're looking for a truck. Have had ours for two years now and it performs beautifully (towing horses.) Decent used market, as there's plenty of trade-ins from people who've babied there trucks. I guess the same could be said of all truck companies. I remember when we bought our first truck, it was mostly high mileage work trucks on the market.

When we first got it, it would be the only Toyota in the trailer lot at the local park. Now seeing (and know people) who are using the Tundra for tow/haul. I'd still stick with a 3/4 ton for anything with living quarters, but the Tundra easily handles a 3 horse slant load (goose neck/no living quarters.) If Toyota every gets in the Super Duty market, I'm in.

The Tundra replaced a '99 V10 F250 that was the bane of my existance. In fairness, the truck had a 180K on it when we sold it (2nd owners), but I was under the hood at least every other weekend. Don't want to know how much we sunk into it in parts/time/headaches. Mostly electrical/ignition/plug issues because of poor design (Known issues with the V10). Diesels are a whole different story and with a couple exceptions, most people I know are happy with their Ford diesels.

Obviously I lean towards Honda/Toyota. They've done more than enough to earn my loyalty. Additionally, I have quite a bit of work experience with Japanese companies... know how focused they are on quality...and these two companies are the gold standard they benchmark against.

I had to take the Tundra off my list. I absolutely love the exterior design. The TRD package especially looks extremely ANGRY and I love that.

Unfortunately, I think the interior looks very cheap. It seems very plasticky to me. And the front dash including the radio/console controls seem to "sweep" away from the driver. It feels like you need to lean fairly hard in order to change anything regarding heat settings, radio controls, Etc... Again, this is just my opinion. I'm not a small guy, in over 6ft and 260lbs. It just feels like the space in the truck is layed out incorrectly. Maybe I need to take another look though.

How about all those high price european cars that are past their warranties that people buy. Not all gm cars are POS!

for the record, I never said they were a POS. I just said mine always had problems, some of those problems have been my fault and most of my GMs have been of the cheaper variety.

Yes my Benz is rather expensive on repairs when she needs them. I am lucky I have a good friend that gets me parts at cost and labor for more than half off when she needs it.

But when she's running right, man is she perfect.

Traded in my Volvo S60R for a boring Toyota Corolla in an effort to go green. :cry:

Suprised I forgot that. The Volvo S60 is available in a manual I believe. And of course the Caddy for anyone that's willing to spend the money on the beastly CTSV.

Not seven whole years! :lol:

(I'm at 13.5 and ~175,000 miles, but am too cheap to buy a new one. :D )

Honestly, you are in the slightly "under" mileage zone going on 14 years @ 175. Still, it is really sick how long cars last now compared to the past. My 1994 Chrysler had around 300k on it when we parted ways in 2006. I betcha somebody is still driving that thing around!

Oh well... I am getting ready to hump it back home to BFLO this weekend to see my ill father. Gonna go over the road in the Jeep w/my son till Sunday. Not looking forward to the drive, farthest I have been is Sandusky in the Jeep... Bumpity, bump, bump! Years ago, did BFLO to Killington, VT in a CJ... So it can't be that bad in a TJ! I will probably keel over before my father does!

Honestly, you are in the slightly "under" mileage zone going on 14 years @ 175. Still, it is really sick how long cars last now compared to the past.

Yeah, I know -- only ~13k/year. But that's still pretty good I think! Wife has an '04 Corolla with ~230,000 miles on it. She drives a lot more and we usually use her car for cross country trips. She was rear-ended last week, so we'll probably take the money (once she gets an estimate on damage) and put it towards a new car at this point.

This is a fun thread since its right up my alley...I don't know much about cars but I do know that I love them and get quickly bored and like to try something new. This is not the best thing to do financially but I am smart with my money everywhere else o I give in to my desire to try something new every couple of years. Since starting college in 2007 I have had: 1997 Toyota corolla....2000 Nissan Altima....New 2003 Honda Civic Coupe...which I then totaled....New 2006 Honda Civic Coupe....I then graduated and purchased new 2007 Honda Crv....then a new 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero....then new 2010 Vw Jetta TDI....and currently a new 2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6....yes I have problems

2006 Ford F150 Triton 8cyl 52K miles, no problems, not the best gas mileage, but it helped me get 3 kids to and from college dorms and apartments, hauling a small boat, demo/ripout of first floor twice due to Irene and Sandy, 3 new bathrooms, new kitchen demo, great hauler

2009 BMW 328Xdrive Did great in the snow in last years freak October storm. Sure footed, safe car for wife. Nice feel, still a very tight car

2003 Lexus RX 300 Has passed down to our daughter, but probably my favorite car in the world. with 141K it still runs like new, suspension is tight, still handles like a champ, If I owned a warehouse, I would start collecting this particular model and year and store them and never drive another car. The later years they seemd to add a different engine which overpowered and weighed down the car. Mileage on this one has been great, the newr ones (2004-2008) were spotty.

Edited by Guffalo

This is a fun thread since its right up my alley...I don't know much about cars but I do know that I love them and get quickly bored and like to try something new. This is not the best thing to do financially but I am smart with my money everywhere else o I give in to my desire to try something new every couple of years. Since starting college in 2007 I have had: 1997 Toyota corolla....2000 Nissan Altima....New 2003 Honda Civic Coupe...which I then totaled....New 2006 Honda Civic Coupe....I then graduated and purchased new 2007 Honda Crv....then a new 2008 Saab 9-3 Aero....then new 2010 Vw Jetta TDI....and currently a new 2012 Honda Accord Coupe V6....yes I have problems

Thanks for the props on the thread. Just thought it would be fun. It helps me a bit with looking for my truck and thought maybe it would help some others too. And hey, if it doesn't help, it might give someone a reason to stroke their egos a bit.

And damn, you listed another car I forgot that I was looking at. The Saab 9-3Aero. Absolutely awesome car. I test drive one about 6 months before I bought my car. They wouldn't budge in price and I saw them cheaper in places. This one was everythingi wanted but I wasn't willing to fork over a few extra grand for it at the time.

06-09

Black paint

White parchment interior with slate inserts.

6speed manual

276HP and quick as all hell.

I absolutely loved driving this car. Probably better I never bought it because now they must be hard to find parts for.

Ya, this thread is a bit fun IMO.

Driven across the country twice as well.

Thats one thing ill give my Alero. She was a huge POS, but she got me from Buffalo to Vegas and back again when I had her.

2008 Dodge Charger w/ 103,000 miles on it. When I bought mine Dodge was still offering the 'Lifetime Powertrain Warranty'. I have had one issue with the transmission but was taken care of promptly by the dealer. Really love the car....

I want a 2013 Charger, but am really worried about reliability. Was the transmission issue under warranty?

I want a 2013 Charger, but am really worried about reliability. Was the transmission issue under warranty?

Yes and the 'Lifetime Powertrain' covers the transmission and engine. I don't think the lifetime powertrain is offered anymore. Had to have the 'valve body' and 'soleniod pack' replaced. Other than that no issues. Absolutly love the new Charger body style's!

I always said I wanted to upgrade to a better car ever since I got my first car. Well, it didn't work out as planned. As I got older, I got to be more conservative.

1. 89 Chevy Beretta GT purchased '91

2. New '96 Honda Accord LX

3. '04 Volvo S60R purchased '06

4. New 11 Toyota Corolla S

I always said I wanted to upgrade to a better car ever since I got my first car. Well, it didn't work out as planned. As I got older, I got to be more conservative.

1. 89 Chevy Beretta GT purchased '91

2. New '96 Honda Accord LX

3. '04 Volvo S60R purchased '06

4. New 11 Toyota Corolla S

Had a few friends that had that Beretta. They were some quick cars for an every day driver. They both had theirs pimped out. Rims. Exhaust. Cold air intakes. Systems. They were lots of fun growing up.

Had a few friends that had that Beretta. They were some quick cars for an every day driver. They both had theirs pimped out. Rims. Exhaust. Cold air intakes. Systems. They were lots of fun growing up.

Yeah, it definitely was a common car on the streets of Buffalo. Me, my cousin and my friend all had one. People would see all three of our cars back to back cruising down Seneca and the Elmwood Strip pumping some beats without a care in the world. Good times.

It wasn't my best car, but it was my favorite. It's funny, that car was the best car in my high school (Hutch Tech), but when I moved to Miami during senior year I was shocked to see high school kids driving Beamers.

Yeah, it definitely was a common car on the streets of Buffalo. Me, my cousin and my friend all had one. People would see all three of our cars back to back cruising down Seneca and the Elmwood Strip pumping some beats without a care in the world. Good times.

It wasn't my best car, but it was my favorite. It's funny, that car was the best car in my high school (Hutch Tech), but when I moved to Miami during senior year I was shocked to see high school kids driving Beamers.

i remember tagging along with my buddy who used to drive up and down Sheridan Dr in the summer time racing people. All the racers used to hang out at Anderson's. often taking a few laps up and down in between ice cream. Was fun.

i remember tagging along with my buddy who used to drive up and down Sheridan Dr in the summer time racing people. All the racers used to hang out at Anderson's. often taking a few laps up and down in between ice cream. Was fun.

I was only 17 when I bought my Beretta. I used to take her up to 127mph on I90 racing friends. That was stupid of me.

That's unfortunate. Young people should only be allowed to drive Tercels.

I was really really stupid to take my car up to 127. The I-190 isn't exactly smooth sailing. Especially between downtown and Seneca. Very uneven, bumpy road.

Edited by NoJustice

That's unfortunate. Young people should only be allowed to drive Tercels.

I was really really stupid to take my car up to 127. The I-190 isn't exactly smooth sailing. Especially between downtown and Seneca. Very uneven, bumpy road.

the guy driving the viper is 38. the kids that were hit were in a crv.

Edited by birdog1960

racing on a pulic street is stupid and can be muderous. wanna race? take a road trip some weekend to here and bring a helmet: http://www.dragtimes...3x0GZFc . they charge less than 10 bucks a race. and notice which americn brand won here.

i can't tell anything from that video but the title says the Camaro won but the mustang had a faster time. So I'm guessing a late start?

Mustangs are cheaper than Camaros, they are better and cheaper in the lower models and all models are easier and cheaper to mod out.

And they look much better IMO.

On to the point of the race. That's cool. They have open races at Lancaster Speedway too around Buffalo. Not sure if there is a cost or how much but that's sweet obviously.

I was only 17 when I bought my Beretta. I used to take her up to 127mph on I90 racing friends. That was stupid of me.

my buddy's were limited at 94mph. It would cut just short of 95.

First let me say, this thread is awesome! Lots of great info and opinions in here.

Also, everything worked out with insurance and financing and I was able to get a new car last night. Went with the 09 Jeep Liberty Sport from Carmax. The Nissan Maximas were very nice (as expected), but I've really been wanting a vehicle that I can load the dogs into (amongst other supplies) and head on road trips, or take hiking/camping, so the Jeep was the way to go.

I can't say enough about how nice and simple and easy it is to buy cars through Carmax. The trick is to keep checking and re-checking their inventory until you find some deals you like. The prices are usually reasonable and on par with what you would expect to pay. I'm not one who likes to "deal" and negotiate on used cars, as I feel that opens up the dealer's side to try and screw me. With Carmax, I dont have to worry about haggling, and they stand behind their vehicles with a standard 5-day return policy, and a 30-day warranty. Since the price on the Jeep was so good, I also added the 6-year/100,000 mile warranty for only about a $4 difference in my monthly payments.

Now I'm about to break-in the new car by immediately driving it 900+miles from Atlanta to Buffalo to surprise my family for Xmas!

Edited by DrDareustein

First let me say, this thread is awesome! Lots of great info and opinions in here.

Also, everything worked out with insurance and financing and I was able to get a new car last night. Went with the 09 Jeep Liberty Sport from Carmax. The Nissan Maximas were very nice (as expected), but I've really been wanting a vehicle that I can load the dogs into (amongst other supplies) and head on road trips, or take hiking/camping, so the Jeep was the way to go.

I can't say enough about how nice and simple and easy it is to buy cars through Carmax. The trick is to keep checking and re-checking their inventory until you find some deals you like. The prices are usually reasonable and on par with what you would expect to pay. I'm not one who likes to "deal" and negotiate on used cars, as I feel that opens up the dealer's side to try and screw me. With Carmax, I dont have to worry about haggling, and they stand behind their vehicles with a standard 5-day return policy, and a 30-day warranty. Since the price on the Jeep was so good, I also added the 6-year/100,000 mile warranty for only about a $4 difference in my monthly payments.

Now I'm about to break-in the new car by immediately driving it 900+miles from Atlanta to Buffalo to surprise my family for Xmas!

Thanks for the props on the thread first of all. Glad I could help. Glad I could get people's minds off the Bills and thier incompetence for a while.

Grats on the car. My old roommate from Vegas is a sales manager at CarMax in Charlotte. He loves it. Apparently the infinity dealership that boned me on the G37 I wanted was trying to mold themselves after the CarMax model and not deal. But it seems that CarMax does so at fairly low prices.

Have a safe trip up to Buffalo for the holidays. Hope all goes well. I'm sure your family will be excited.

i can't tell anything from that video but the title says the Camaro won but the mustang had a faster time. So I'm guessing a late start?

Mustangs are cheaper than Camaros, they are better and cheaper in the lower models and all models are easier and cheaper to mod out.

And they look much better IMO.

On to the point of the race. That's cool. They have open races at Lancaster Speedway too around Buffalo. Not sure if there is a cost or how much but that's sweet obviously.

my buddy's were limited at 94mph. It would cut just short of 95.

i think maybe you're looking at the 12 chevy vs the 12 ford link there. different race. on the vid you never see the mustang. .8 secs in the quarter mile is a lot of space. did you notice he never got out of 3rd? must have been going around 100 at the line in 3rd...

i think maybe you're looking at the 12 chevy vs the 12 ford link there. different race. on the vid you never see the mustang. .8 secs in the quarter mile is a lot of space. did you notice he never got out of 3rd? must have been going around 100 at the line in 3rd...

i clicked on the movie that was right up on the link. I'm watching from iPhone so it's net exactly crystal clear. Doesn't matter. I like Ford more than any GM product ever made. Would never buy a Camaro over a Mustang EVER!!! NEVER!!!

I owned a 99' Mustang convertible. 35th anniversary edition. 5 Speed manual. Was actually only a 6 cylinder but with only an aftermarket MAC catback exhaust put in I could hang with GTs. Even beat a few back in the day.

Just some information for anyone looking. Basil Chevy in Depew/Cheektowaga will be having a major blowout on all inventory. My cousin who works there informed me up to $10K off on many vehicles. Informed me personally of a 2012 Chevy Silverado LTZ, normally $41k, available for $31k.

Just an FYI if anyone in the area is interested. Shoot me a PM and ill give you my cousins name and mine for a referral.

Just some information for anyone looking. Basil Chevy in Depew/Cheektowaga will be having a major blowout on all inventory. My cousin who works there informed me up to $10K off on many vehicles. Informed me personally of a 2012 Chevy Silverado LTZ, normally $41k, available for $31k.

Just an FYI if anyone in the area is interested. Shoot me a PM and ill give you my cousins name and mine for a referral.

First, the cynic in my thinks you're a shill trying to drum up some business

Second, I don't live anywhere near Cheektawaga so it doesn't affect me one bit to ask...

Third, a friend of mine was in wreck recently and is looking for a car. She loves the GMC Terrain/Chevy Equinox

Is this just your local Cheektawaga dealer, or is this is a GM thing?

I have no reason to boast GM or Basils sales. I hate them both. I was simply informing anyone that might be looking for a new car.

I have no idea if these deals are GM or Basil. I was told on Sunday (end of year blowout) they will be having a sweet sale.

I've already stressed my dislikes of GM and the Alero that I have also said I hated so much and had rediculous problems with came from Basil. For all I care, the place can burn to the ground. Just trying to help those in need of a new vehicle.

I have no reason to boast GM or Basils sales. I hate them both. I was simply informing anyone that might be looking for a new car.

I have no idea if these deals are GM or Basil. I was told on Sunday (end of year blowout) they will be having a sweet sale.

I've already stressed my dislikes of GM and the Alero that I have also said I hated so much and had rediculous problems with came from Basil. For all I care, the place can burn to the ground. Just trying to help those in need of a new vehicle.

ZR-1 and ZL-1 now were talking

Former GM buyers from the 90's think the cars that build now are what their building now. Cadillac are pretty nice! I'd get an cts-v or an ats if i could.

I've owned german cars, and believe their overpriced, and their reliabilty isn't that great either.

i clicked on the movie that was right up on the link. I'm watching from iPhone so it's net exactly crystal clear. Doesn't matter. I like Ford more than any GM product ever made. Would never buy a Camaro over a Mustang EVER!!! NEVER!!!

I owned a 99' Mustang convertible. 35th anniversary edition. 5 Speed manual. Was actually only a 6 cylinder but with only an aftermarket MAC catback exhaust put in I could hang with GTs. Even beat a few back in the day.

My buddy has a 2003 SVT cobra with 7500 miles, triple black car. He had a 85 gt that was stolen at Moog. I'll never forget that call from him.

Edited by roush

ZR-1 and ZL-1 now were talking

Former GM buyers from the 90's think the cars that build now are what their building now. Cadillac are pretty nice! I'd get an cts-v or an ats if i could.

I've owned german cars, and believe their overpriced, and their reliabilty isn't that great either.

well, that's where my argument ends obviously. Of course a ZR1 or any kind of Vette for that matter is going to be nice. In fact, one could argue that any of thier overpriced (I'm not just saying overpriced because of GM, I'm talking about ALL makes and models everywhere that are overpriced) models would be great. They are made with a better care. Of course a Cadillac is going to be better than a Lumina or an Alero. The GMs I owned were among the most common and mass produced of all time. I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

I personally just don't like GMs. Not a fan of thier designs generally. Thier interiors seem plasticky to me compared to other brands. Just not a fan.

Of course is take a Tahoe, Vette, Cadillac CTSV, or Avalanche any day of the week though. Unfortunately I don't have a $50k nut to spend either.

Domestic car interiors are the weak part. Their getting alot better. The seats in the vette were the worst . The all new c7 should be something

I for one like their designs, wait until the twin turbo six makes it way into theGM fold

My buddy has a 2003 SVT cobra with 7500 miles, triple black car. He had a 85 gt that was stolen at Moog. I'll never forget that call from him.

Pretty sure it was the same exact body style in that car. Very small changes. I love that all black look. So nice when the paint is clean and scratch/swirl less.

Mine had exhaust. In fact, that was an afterthought. I was looking to upgrade the appearance before any performance mods at the time.

Here's my little story about how that happened:

The year was 2002, and I was at the beginning of my illustrious Fantasy Football career. I spent hours and hours of research on players, coaches, offensive philosophies during the summer months. In my first year in my friends very tough and talked about league, I had the 5th pick overall. I decided, based in my research, I was going to pass up on one of the first round RBs and go with the best WR in the league. So I first choose Randy Moss. People thought I was crazy at the time. Coming back around in the 2nd round I went even crazier. People had barely even heard of this guy, but I knew his previous season wasn't just a fluke. It was only the tip of the iceberg. I decided with all the past experience Dick Vermiel had with Marshall Faulk, that Priest Holmes would be just as big. People laughed when I made that pick. The 3rd pick I made was Travis Henry, again laughs and people thinking I was over valuing Henry because he was a Bill. 4th pick was Trent Green. And then finished off my starters with Koren Robinson as my 2nd WR and Jeremy Steven as my TE.

People laughed. Really bad. Until... After the first game of the season when Holmes had 4 TDs, and Henry 3. People realized that my team may be dominant.

It was dominant. My first year in the league I set records for points, wins, and margin of victory. I lost 1 game and that's because Shaun Alexander managed to score 6 TDs in a Monday night against the Vikings. I had a 25 point lead going into that game. He had Alexander, I had Moss and Stevens. Who would have thought. Ugh.

Holmes finished up with 24 TDs that season. Henry with 14. 2nd and 5th in the league in rushing. Moss finished behind Marvin Harrison with over 1,300 yards and 7 TDs. And Trent Green with almost 2,700 yards and 26 TDs.

I stumbled upon one of the best Fantasy Football seasons anyone could ever imagine. The best part was all the receiving yards and TDs from Holmes. I remember one 90 yard screen turned into TD that amounted to 22 points in one play.

Needless to say people hated me. I was my first year in, I was cocky, I talked smack to absolutely everyone. I won't the Championship, and the 2nd pot for most points in a season.

I was on my way home from California where I just finished watching the Raiders destroy the Broncos on thier way to the SuperBowl. Counting my cash in my head.

Now into the car part of the story:

I went directly from the airport to KS Auto on Main and Transit to order my Saleen Light Bar and Saleen Tonnaeu Cover. Fully intending to make my 6 cylinder Mustang into a sweet looking Saleen Mustang. Parts ordered. Deposit made. Just waiting for the call when I needed to come pick them up. A few weeks later I heard nothing. I made a visit to Larry (the owner of KS Auto) and found out that there was an issue with the shipments. Apparently Saleen doesn't ship outside thier company. If you want something from them, you have to pay for thier own shipping. It's absolutely rediculous. They wanted almost $500 to ship both parts cross country from CA. I cancelled the order in a pissed off rage. I had waited this long and gotten nothing. So I left KS Auto and went to PJs Speedshop in N. Tonawanda. Known for thier performance mods on Muatangs, I had a catback MAC exhaust out in my car that day. It was louder and better sounding than GTs and faster than any Unmodded GT that was an auto and any manual GT if the driver wasn't the strongest.

A real sheep in wolves clothing that car. I really wish I never got rid of her. If I knew I was going to be moving to Vegas when I did, I never would have. I would have just gutted out one winter with her and enjoyed my convertible in the fun and sun of LV.

Hope you all enjoyed my story. It was actually fun to write. I'm retired from Fantasy Footall now. I won that league 4 of 5 years and another league 3 of 4 years. The years I didn't win, I took 3rd. It was a very proud time of my football knowledge.

Edited by mrags