What kind of car do you drive?

mrags

Ok. With the fear that I might sound like Skooby with this post I thought it would be a little fun and a little something different to get our minds off this crap football club.

I currently drive a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport. 6speed manual transmission. Arctic White paint, black leather interior.

I love my car but in looking at new/newer at the moment. Been looking at either the Ford F150 FX4, the Chevy Silverado 1500, and the Dodge Ram 1500. Like the Ford the most and the Chevy the least. The Dodge looks sweet and is the cheapest. Also has the highest MPG with the Ford nipping at its heals, all while surpassing its payload and towing.

Does anyone drive any of these? What's your thoughts on them?

Would love to hear what everyone here drives regardless. Hopefully this is fun.

Edited by mrags

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slightly off topic - I just got a new car and financed with PenFed. They are offering 1.49% financing. If you are thinking of getting a car, you may want to consider them or at least use their rates to get a better rate with the dealer.

I drive an '04 Altima. The driver's side door handle is broken and so is the rear passenger. It has 184,000 kms (115,000 miles for my American brothers and sisters). I'm rolling on winter rims and Michelin X-Ice 2s and have a pair of top of the line Britax kid seats in the back. I recently had metal welded to the floor so that I wouldn't look like Fred Flintstone driving around. The best feature...it's paid for.

I drive an '04 Altima. The driver's side door handle is broken and so is the rear passenger. It has 184,000 kms (115,000 miles for my American brothers and sisters). I'm rolling on winter rims and Michelin X-Ice 2s and have a pair of top of the line Britax kid seats in the back. I recently had metal welded to the floor so that I wouldn't look like Fred Flintstone driving around. The best feature...it's paid for.

lol. Well played

Ok. With the fear that I might sound like Skooby with this post I thought it would be a little fun and a little something different to get our minds off this crap football club.

I currently drive a 2007 Mercedes Benz C230 Sport. 6speed manual transmission. Arctic White paint, black leather interior.

I love my car but in looking at new/newer at the moment. Been looking at either the Ford F150 FX4, the Chevy Silverado 1500, and the Dodge Ram 1500. Like the Ford the most and the Chevy the least. The Dodge looks sweet and is the cheapest. Also has the highest MPG with the Ford nipping at its heals, all while surpassing its payload and towing.

Got a 1999 Ram 1500. It's a beast 5.7 liter before it was called the "Hemi". This vintage was prone to rust and I have had to do some minor bondo on it. I use it in the winter mainly or when I have to haul something that won't fit into my other car. The Ram is a lot for the money. I would probably get another one.

Got a 1999 Ram 1500. It's a beast 5.7 liter before it was called the "Hemi". This vintage was prone to rust and I have had to do some minor bondo on it. I use it in the winter mainly or when I have to haul something that won't fit into my other car. The Ram is a lot for the money. I would probably get another one.

Awesome to hear that Weo. I'm really looking into it most because of the features and the cost. Of course, as I said, I really like the F150 the most but in order for me to be happy with the Ford, it would have to be the FX4 and the 2013s are high 40s to low 50s. It's just too damn much for a truck/car. The 2012 Ram leftovers can be had anywhere from 35-40k for a model of be happy with. Haven't looked into the 2013s much yet though.

Thanks Peter. What did you get?

I ended up getting a Lexus RX450h after many months of thinking about what to get. We have two boys. I had been driving an SUV, a Honda Pilot, and loved that for its versatility and that it was the most reliable car I have ever had. It had almost 99k miles on it so I thought that it would be a good idea to get a new car given the rates and the fact that dealers seem to be fairly motivated in general and at this time of year.

I have had the car for 8 days now. It drives great, has plenty of bells and whistles, and gets great mileage for a SUV (one day last week, I got 30 mpg). The only thing to keep in mind is that it does not have the load or towing capacity as a typical SUV. Other than that, it is a great car. Consumer Reports rates it very highly.

I ended up getting a Lexus RX450h after many months of thinking about what to get. We have two boys. I had been driving an SUV, a Honda Pilot, and loved that for its versatility and that it was the most reliable car I have ever had. It had almost 99k miles on it so I thought that it would be a good idea to get a new car given the rates and the fact that dealers seem to be fairly motivated in general and at this time of year.

I have had the car for 8 days now. It drives great, has plenty of bells and whistles, and gets great mileage for a SUV (one day last week, I got 30 mpg). The only thing to keep in mind is that it does not have the load or towing capacity as a typical SUV. Other than that, it is a great car. Consumer Reports rates it very highly.

i like those for sure. Sounds like you got a sweet deal on it with the financing.

I drive a 2008 Yukon..137k on it, no poroblems at yet.

Wife has a 2008 Hyandai Vera Cruz..greta car has 97K on it

Damn. You've driven the crap out of that Yukon. Any problems. While I don't really like the Silverados much, I DO really like the Tahoes. Interested to hear your experiences and problems. Edited by mrags

I have a '99 Toyota Camry with ~175,000 miles on it. My first car (bought it new out of college -- I got a signing bonus for a few grand with instructions to buy a car since I'd be on call 24x7 :) ). I kind of want a Dodge Charger, but this one has never had a problem, is paid off (for a long time!), and has relatively low insurance rates... Plus, the Charger isn't exactly known for its reliability, so not sure I want to go that route. We'll see.

My wife has an '04 Toyota Corolla with ~230,000 miles on. No real issues with hers either, although she was rear-ended last week and the bumper is now broken. Their insurance company will pay to fix it, although we're debating just taking the money and using it to buy a new car once winter is over.

I just got this great 350Z... real cheap too!!! A guy I knew told me about a guy who had one he didn't need, I just had to take off the Georgia license plate, though. The cool thing, he must have been a Bills fan, because there was a sticker on the back.

In all seriousness:

1983 Chevrolet K20. Something like 9MPG maybe? 350 motor.

1994 Chevrolet S10 Tahoe 2WD manual 5 2.8L, it'll need a new motor soon, but it's over 200k.

1993 GMC AstroVan 180k miles, 4.3L Automatic 5 speed.

1998 Chevrolet Cavalier (car I got as a teenager I gave to mom. 2.2L 3 speed automatic with 150K-ish miles

My dad has a 2010 F150 XLT FX4 with the seats in back but not the full door. Short bed (utterly useless). It is nice with the Sync system and all that stuff, doesn't drive as good as -see below- though it is quiet. Has some good power.

My normal truck is a 2007 F350 FX4 Super Duty Lariet 6.0L Powerstroke, full bed, full four door The heated seats are nice, the whole truck is nice. I mean, when you have a $65,000 truck, you get your moneys worth. It's got 77k on it roughly.

Generally, I am a Chevrolet guy, but when I got those trucks I did not like what Chevrolet had available. The F150 was better then the Silverado, but not by much. Ford has better interiors, and thats what it came down to there. The 07 was hands and feet better then what Chevrolet had at the time.

As for Dodge trucks? I wouldn't waste my time pissing on one if it was on fire. Those dinky 6 cylinder Cummins are overrated, and if you take care of a truck it will last you. The Dodges always look the nice but there is a reason you don't see them on the road for a lot of years. Chevrolet and Ford make some nice trucks, but I would still take a look at a Toyota Tundra depending on what you're wanting to do... If you want a TRUCK then get a truck. If you want a truck then get a truck.

Edited by jboyst62

Traded my 08 Solstice GXP in for a 2013 Cadillac CTS. Best car buying decision I've ever made. The Solstice was tons of fun, I recommend everyone own a roadster at least once in their life, but it was completely impractical and the wife hated it. The Caddy is a beast.

Does anyone drive any of these? What's your thoughts on them?

Would love to hear what everyone here drives regardless. Hopefully this is fun.

When I read that your MB is a stick I smiled. Not many of us left that are brave enough or truly enjoy a manual transmission. Daily driver is an '07 BMW 335 (don't call me an a-hole or similar). Modest silver ( to match my hair) 4-door with 6 speed manual and about 60HP more than factory. A real wolf in sheep's clothing. An absolute kick in the pants to drive and when needed it'll embarrass about anything on the street with less than 350HP. Fun. Also have an F150 supercrew 4x4. Great truck. I liked how the Dodge drove the best but needed the longer wheelbase and 6.5' bed offered by Ford without having to get 3/4 ton. Fuel mileage is not horrible with 5.4 gas engine. 18-19 hwy. Newer trucks are even better. The back seat is huge. Can put 3 adults back there very comfortably. I tow 4000 pounds with it and unless you look in the mirror, you hardly know anything is back there and can still get 13MPG towing.

09 Subaru Impreza.....best automobile I have ever owned....sans the less than spectacular gas mileage. If you live where it's cold and snows a lot....this is the vehicle for you.

Had an '08 for a short time that my daughter drove. Great car and in snow it was ridiculous. Put your foot down and go. Absolutely fantastic and like no other car that I've driven in snow.

Edited by keepthefaith

When I read that your MB is a stick I smiled. Not many of us left that are brave enough or truly enjoy a manual transmission. Daily driver is an '07 BMW 335 (don't call me an a-hole or similar). Modest silver ( to match my hair) 4-door with 6 speed manual and about 60HP more than factory. A real wolf in sheep's clothing. An absolute kick in the pants to drive and when needed it'll embarrass about anything on the street with less than 350HP. Fun. Also have an F150 supercrew 4x4. Great truck. I liked how the Dodge drove the best but needed the longer wheelbase offered by Ford without having to get 3/4 ton. Fuel mileage is not horrible with 5.4 gas engine. 18-19 hwy. Newer trucks are even better. The back seat is huge. Can put 3 adults back there very comfortably. I tow 4000 pounds with it and unless you look in the mirror, you hardly know anything is back there and can still get 13MPG towing.

I love your vehicles man. I wanted a 328xi (I think) when I got my Benz. Couldn't afford the overpriced rates of the Bimmers. I know the GM of MB of Buffalo so I got an absolutely sick deal in mine. And yes, Manual is the only way to go if your going with a sports car or sport sedan. If I don't get the truck now or soon, which is a major probability. I'd love to make some adjustments to my Benz and keep it even after I buy my next car or truck in about 2 years when my car is paid off.

Just curious, what mods have you done with your Bimmer for the added 60HP?

Edited by mrags

Damn. You've driven the crap out of that Yukon. Any problems. While I don't really like the Silverados much, I DO really like the Tahoes. Interested to hear your experiences and problems.

I drive a ton of highway, change the oil bout once evry 10,000. The car has had zero mechanical problems(not counting things like brakes and wiper blades). The cruise control just in the last month is going on sometimes, sometimes not LOL. I will actually get that fixed as speeding tickets will cost more without it. I have the most basic model, so not a lot of bells and whistles, no heated seats, gps, etc. Crimminy even the passenger side is manual.

I wlll say when the tires needed changing, i bought more expensive Michelins than what came with the car originally, and made a huge difference in both ride and noise ..to bad they did not come standard.

I had a 96 Explore that had over 300K when i retired it, and thought i would never like another car like i liked that one. But must say, I have been very pleased with this car, gets decent mileage as it shifts automatically from 8 cylinders to 4 when on the highway, nice ride. Also we did not get the XL..and that was a mistake. Little room in the back without it, so need to keep the seats out. That is my one complaint, the back seats are a real pain in da arse to take in out.

Edited by plenzmd1

When I read that your MB is a stick I smiled. Not many of us left that are brave enough or truly enjoy a manual transmission. Daily driver is an '07 BMW 335 (don't call me an a-hole or similar). Modest silver ( to match my hair) 4-door with 6 speed manual and about 60HP more than factory. A real wolf in sheep's clothing. An absolute kick in the pants to drive and when needed it'll embarrass about anything on the street with less than 350HP. Fun. Also have an F150 supercrew 4x4. Great truck. I liked how the Dodge drove the best but needed the longer wheelbase and 6.5' bed offered by Ford without having to get 3/4 ton. Fuel mileage is not horrible with 5.4 gas engine. 18-19 hwy. Newer trucks are even better. The back seat is huge. Can put 3 adults back there very comfortably. I tow 4000 pounds with it and unless you look in the mirror, you hardly know anything is back there and can still get 13MPG towing.

Had an '08 for a short time that my daughter drove. Great car and in snow it was ridiculous. Put your foot down and go. Absolutely fantastic and like no other car that I've driven in snow.

manuals are had to find. we went looking to replace my wife's 5 speed subie as a daily driver and found very few cars available as standards. even subaru manuals are relatively rare especially with nice interiors. the bmw dealer literally laughed when we asked to drive a std. said there probably wasn't one in a 300 mile radius. she ended up with a buick regal gs 6 speed turbo. we'll see about reliabilty but performance, especially braking and handling is really good. wanted her to look at the new acura ilx 6 speed but , believe it or not, she fell for the buick and the deal (it sat on the dealers lot for almost a year). dealer said he couldn't sell it cuz it was a std tranny.

I love your vehicles man. I wanted a 328xi (I think) when I got my Benz. Couldn't afford the overpriced rates of the Bimmers. I know the GM of MB of Buffalo so I got an absolutely sick deal in mine. And yes, Manual is the only way to go if your going with a sports car or sport sedan. If I don't get the truck now or soon, which is a major probability. I'd love to make some adjustments to my Benz and keep it even after I buy my next car or truck in about 2 years when my car is paid off.

Just curious, what mods have you done with your Bimmer for the added 60HP?

It's turbocharged so it was a simple reflash of the ECU to alter boost, cam profile and fuel. Big difference before and after.

It's turbocharged so it was a simple reflash of the ECU to alter boost, cam profile and fuel. Big difference before and after.

oh. Wow. Ya, wish mine was the Turno Kompressor but its not. It's the Sport Sedan. I absolutely love the ride (when I have 4 fresh tires) and the look (when it's clean) but I'm getting the truck itch big time. I'd rather keep her and buy a truck after, but right now I have about $1k in repairs (not cheap on German autos) and that's with my buddy getting me parts at cost and him doing the work himself for little labor cost. Just not sure if its worth it to keep her anymore. I drive approx 20-30k miles a year and half to go through a set of tires every year as well. Brakes. Rotors. It's all in my yearly costs. Can't rotate tires because they are staggered front to back. Just wasn't the best decision when I got her. Of course, now that I've raped her of miles, she's not worth much beyond what I owe for a trade in.

manuals are had to find. we went looking to replace my wife's 5 speed subie as a daily driver and found very few cars available as standards. even subaru manuals are relatively rare especially with nice interiors. the bmw dealer literally laughed when we asked to drive a std. said there probably wasn't one in a 300 mile radius. she ended up with a buick regal gs 6 speed turbo. we'll see about reliabilty but performance, especially braking and handling is really good. wanted her to look at the new acura ilx 6 speed but , believe it or not, she fell for the buick and the deal (it sat on the dealers lot for almost a year). dealer said he couldn't sell it cuz it was a std tranny.

I could swear i read last week about some new BMW where the reviewer loved the car and loved the manual transmission, but it was now an option for like an extra $4,000!

Drive a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 Laramie, 130K miles and still drives and rides great. Would get another ram in an instant if i needed to. Engine is the 5.7L hemi and runs strong and awesome. My wife drives a 2002 Durango and both are happy with that also!!

Huge Dodge family I see. One of my buddies always said "Mopar or No Car".

I looked at a Laramie today. Was over my price range but was a sweet truck.

My biggest "must have" in a truck honestly is the full center console with the floor shifter auto trans. This one just looked awesome. But don't need all those bells and whistles.

I could swear i read last week about some new BMW where the reviewer loved the car and loved the manual transmission, but it was now an option for like an extra $4,000!

pretty sure manuals are more expensive now (not like back in the day), at least in some cars. Nobody wants them anymore, so it's actually not worth it for auto companies to make them anymore. I think it's a little different with European Autos because its a different market there. Which is why it's easier to find one in a Bimmer or Benz or Audi.

FWIW, I drive an Audi S4 last summer and it might be one of the most orgasmic experiences driving a vehicle I've ever had. Kinda gross I know to those that wouldn't understand, but I'm sure the European Auto lovers understand.

A6 Audi 2.7 T love it

with your name, I would have guess something else. But I cannot disagree with the A6. Pure sex on wheels. The only thing that would make it better is the S version. But not many people have over $80K to spend on an auto.

I drove a '99 Sentra for 9 years, then totaled it. I picked up a used '99 Pathfinder to carry me a few months and ended up driving for 4 years. I finally decided I needed something new. I wanted another Nissan but decided to call my friend who used to sell cars. I told him I'd go for something used like a Sentra or an Altima if he could point me in the direction of a good deal. He ended up taking to the Hyundai dealership where he used to be the GM. They had a couple of used Sonatas that they were looking to move. He walked in the back and just started typing on their computer and came out with a big smile. He told me to go for a test drive and he'd take care of my trade in. I ended up with a 2011 Sonata, for about $2k less than anyone else would have paid. I love the thing. The bumper-to-bumper warranty goes for 5 years/60k and I'm only at 45k now.

When the current GM sat with to set up my trial XM subscription and hook up my Bluetooth, I sheepishly said, "Sorry you didn't earn much on this sale." He laughed and said, "Big Phil (no his real name) bring someone in 3 times a month like this. He loves making us give it away but at least we're moving the product."

Later "Phil" told me that Hyundai is all about volume and selling cars like this. Nissan is similar on Altimas but Hyundai (& Kia) do their entire lines and are really about putting as many cars on the road as possible and the dealer margin is really low. He said he used to sell SUVs where the dealer cut was $10k on a $35k vehicle but he really enjoyed selling Hyundais just because he knew the stakes were lower.

Lots of good cars out there these days for safety, mileage & options.

wouldn't doubt it. we wanted an wheel drive manual transmission leather interior car. next to impossible to find. wrx is one but try to find one and they're most suited for a 20 something. nobody had one car with those feature for a hundred miles that i could find and the dealers i asked said they couldn't get one. manuals are dying. i think motor trend has a "save the manuals" campaign going. i hope it helps but doubt it.

wouldn't doubt it. we wanted an wheel drive manual transmission leather interior car. next to impossible to find. wrx is one but try to find one and they're most suited for a 20 something. nobody had one car with those feature for a hundred miles that i could find and the dealers i asked said they couldn't get one. manuals are dying. i think motor trend has a "save the manuals" campaign going. i hope it helps but doubt it.

I can say that when I looked for cars when I bought my MB, a few stick out that were awesome sport sedans with manuals. Here's the list I found that is probably best and for that 30k range for used and maybe a little more new.

Mercedes Benz C Class

BMW 3 Series

Audi A4

Infinity G series

Lexus IS

At least these were the ones I was looking at. Pretty sure they all have manuals. If anyone is interested.

1998 Ford Ranger XLT. I bought it in summer 2000, an impulse buy. Just passed 197,000 miles within the past two weeks. I've already started looking for something to replace it next spring, either a crossover like the Subarus or Ford Freestyle, or mid-size SUV like the Jeep Liberty or Ford Explorer. But my biggest concern is MPG, I get about 20 combined now. I'd like to get that or more.

1998 Ford Ranger XLT. I bought it in summer 2000, an impulse buy. Just passed 197,000 miles within the past two weeks. I've already started looking for something to replace it next spring, either a crossover like the Subarus or Ford Freestyle, or mid-size SUV like the Jeep Liberty or Ford Explorer. But my biggest concern is MPG, I get about 20 combined now. I'd like to get that or more.

i had a 94' XLT man. Bought it from my sister (funny a chick driving a Ranger right?) when she moved away. Actually, I didn't pay anything, just had to take over the payments. I kept that truck for a winter beater when I bought my Mustang years ago. Came out to start her up for the winter and put in a new battery and clean her up a but and she was in blocks. Someone stole all 4 tires, brakes, brake lines, old battery. It was going to be thousands to fix. I sold her for $200.

manuals are had to find. we went looking to replace my wife's 5 speed subie as a daily driver and found very few cars available as standards. even subaru manuals are relatively rare especially with nice interiors. the bmw dealer literally laughed when we asked to drive a std.

Very true. Had to order my car and wait 2 months to get a stick.

Very true. Had to order my car and wait 2 months to get a stick.

You get yours directly from BMW in Germany? I had a friend I used to work with that ordered a 5 series. He had to wait a bit too.

I was told that you get them with the European plates when they come over. Is that true? I think that's really cool.