4th and goal at the 2. Which RB,,any era--do you give the ball to?

Tcali

To me its a tie betw Marcus Allen and Larry Czonka.

Allen was an artist down there. He alway picked the right hole and approach (high leap, submarine, bounce outside, cut inside).

Csonka was the premier power only back in my lifetime. I never saw Bronko Nagurski play (thank god I'm not that old) but I imagine Csonka must have been similar in his ability to carry tacklers while simultaneously running other tacklers over.

For those that remember Mike Alstott, Alstott couldn't hold a candle to Csonka.

I would add that my recollection is that John Riggins was a great goal line back.

Allen was an artist down there. He alway picked the right hole and approach (high leap, submarine, bounce outside, cut inside).

Csonka was the premier power only back in my lifetime. I never saw Bronko Nagurski play (thank god I'm not that old) but I imagine Csonka must have been similar in his ability to carry tacklers while simultaneously running other tacklers over.

I would add that my recollection is that John Riggins was a great goal line back.

Riggins. Good call.

Of course you can't go wrong with MA

Depends on the offense

ya. If we're talking about Chans offense. It's more likely going to be Fitz in shotgun. Empty backfield. 5 WR set. All WRs either run deeeeep, or short of the first down marker.

But the OP simply asked a question. Your running the ball on 4th and short, who do you want in there? It's not that hard man. Pick a name

Knew youd remember that...Allens 6th sense near the goal line was unmatched IMO. Czonka--he NEVER got stood up-musta been his low center of gravity mixed w power/athletic ability.You had to hit him high and low to stop him--cut his legs out from him.

Riggins...interesting---just dont remember him round the goal line--just the freakish combo of size and speed he had.

ya. If we're talking about Chans offense. It's more likely going to be Fitz in shotgun. Empty backfield. 5 WR set. All WRs either run deeeeep, or short of the first down marker.

But the OP simply asked a question. Your running the ball on 4th and short, who do you want in there? It's not that hard man. Pick a name

Well, what I was getting at is the slashing type back who can also reach the pylon with an athletic line vs a bowling ball behind maulers.

Well, what I was getting at is the slashing type back who can also reach the pylon with an athletic line vs a bowling ball behind maulers.

I know. I was simply saying just to pick a name and go with it. The OPs original question seemed very open to interpretation. Pick your poison I guess.

I know. I was simply saying just to pick a name and go with it. The OPs original question seemed very open to interpretation. Pick your poison I guess.

For the sake of discussion - emmitt has about a million career, and LT has the single season record. Don't know that either would be my pick but scoring ability is certainly there

I would say John Riggins. He was a BEAST at the goal line.

Hated that guy....but the kind of back you'd love to hate.

Take him over Marcus Allen any Sunday.

(and that is no diss to Marcus. Riggins was that good!)

Sam Cunningham

over the top - no one touches him

I thought of him. He scored 4 of those against my Michigan Wolverines in the 1973 Rose Bowl.

As a pro he scored a bunch of those too.

It's amazing how high some of these guys can jump with full equipment and two hands on the ball.