Mismanagement of Bills players is mind boggling?

Arthur Moats was a DE in college. Since he's been on the Bills, he's been shuffled all over the field and back again, from ILB to OLB to DE and back and forth numerous times. Moats is back at DE and is earning praise again from Gailey: "In recent weeks, he's moved back to his original position in the NFL -- DE, which is also where he played in college -- and he's given the Bills' injured defensive line a boost with limited reps. “We've been a little thin at defensive end and to give those guys a blow,” Gailey said. “And to be honest, the first time he went in there two weeks ago, he pushed the tackle right back into the quarterback and we remember what he did do when he was playing defensive end. It makes you remember those things, he's been at linebacker so long. So he's been a good change of pace to give us a little rest and give a little pressure to the quarterback.” http://www.cbssports.com/general/blog/nfl-rapidreports/21294920/bills-notebook-surgery-likely-for-rt-chris-hairston

Also, look at last year when Alex Carrington & Spencer Johnson were playing at OLB. Two 300+lb D-linemen playing OLB? WTF were they thinking?! Carrington is having a break out year this year (so far) at defensive tackle and had his best game to date this past Sunday. Aaron Williams is another player that draft experts said would be a safety in the NFL, but yet the Bills put him in at CB. AW has been terrible at CB for the Bills this year.

Glenn, Wilson, Stevie Johnson and Nelson (7th rounder and UDFA), Fred Jackson, Bryd (college cb). But let's always focus on the negatives.

I don't always focus on the negatives. I gave props to Fitz yesterday for having 3 consecutive seasons of passing 20TD's (first since Jim Kelly) and was bashed for it. Back to the subject at hand, if a player is better at one position than another, then you should put that player in the position that he does better at, that way the team benefits from it. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole does not work, It's not rocket science.

Glenn, Wilson, Stevie Johnson and Nelson (7th rounder and UDFA), Fred Jackson, Bryd (college cb). But let's always focus on the negatives.

They're 15-29 in nearly 3 seasons and you're still banging the drum for the organization? Even if you discount everything that preceded Nix, Gailey, et al. there's no excuse for not making the playoffs this season. None. Zero.

At this point, I have to believe you're pulling an ieatcrayonz with posts like this. You really cannot be serious anymore, are you?

Moats is a 3-4 OLB... and a very good one. The problem is, Buddy wentoff his original plan in switching to the 3-4. In the end Moats is gingto en up playing, and thriving, in a 3-4 somewhere. Pittsburg, Jets, Houston, New England... he could be a good fit for any of those teams.

You do realise that for 2 of the last 3 years, they were trying to run a 3-4 instead of a 4-3. Players that played in a 4-3 may end up fitting in better at a different position in a 3-4. Do you think Moats would have excelled as a DE in a 3-4? Usually a 4-3 DE will fit better as a LB in a 3-4 system.

I'm glad that they are willing to move guys around and look at them in other positions. With a Healthy Anderson, Kelsay, Mario Willams, Kyle Moore, and Shawne Merriman, do you think that Moats would have had a better chance sticking on this roster as a DE or LB?

They're 15-29 in nearly 3 seasons and you're still banging the drum for the organization? Even if you discount everything that preceded Nix, Gailey, et al. there's no excuse for not making the playoffs this season. None. Zero.

At this point, I have to believe you're pulling an ieatcrayonz with posts like this. You really cannot be serious anymore, are you?

:thumbsup: very well put. too much drum banging.

You do realise that for 2 of the last 3 years, they were trying to run a 3-4 instead of a 4-3. Players that played in a 4-3 may end up fitting in better at a different position in a 3-4. Do you think Moats would have excelled as a DE in a 3-4? Usually a 4-3 DE will fit better as a LB in a 3-4 system.

I'm glad that they are willing to move guys around and look at them in other positions. With a Healthy Anderson, Kelsay, Mario Willams, Kyle Moore, and Shawne Merriman, do you think that Moats would have had a better chance sticking on this roster as a DE or LB?

Actually, the Bills ran a hybrid 3-4 defense, using the 4-3 about 40-45% of the time. We saw Moats have good production at OLB towards the end of the 2010 season (I believe), and earned recognition for ending Favre's Iron Man streak. I had no problem with Moats as an OLB, but the continuous switching back and forth from OLB to ILB was mind boggling. Moats is not an ILB, and did not do well at ILB. In a 3-4 defense, OLB are known to rush the passer, in a 4-3, OLB's are known for stopping the run and going out in coverage. Moats is good at rushing the passer, not playing out in coverage. Once, the Bills officially went back to a 4-3, they should have tried Moats out at both DE and OLB to see which one he did better at, that's poor evaluation on the Bills part.

The same with putting Carrington & Spencer Johnson, two 300+ defensive linemen in at OLB. That made absolutely no sense at all! How do you actually expect two guys, the sizes of Carrington & Sp Johnson to go out in coverage?! Explain that one!!

While it might be mismanagement of that specific one player, it may be better for the roster and team to move him around, or even for that player because it gives him a job.

Meaning, if Moats were playing DE (perhaps the position he's best suited for) he likely wouldn't be on the roster at all due to the depth they have. Moving him to OLB doesn't give them the best Moats has to offer, but they keep Moats and he gives them a better depth player at OLB than what they had at that position and a guy to play specs.

Spencer Johnson working at 34 OLB was odd, but I recall them mainly playing him as an edge player, not in coverage where he'd be a severe liability. So basically playing the role of a 43 end.

I only recall Carrington playing OLB in practice, not in games, perhaps he did, I dunno. But if he did I assume it was in the same capacity as Spencer. I only recall him playing 34 DE after Kyle Williams went out for the year.

Edited by Carey Bender

No one's happy with the team failing to meet goals this year. But I also think it's completely BS that people like yourself act like there are 0 positives or success stories on the team. Obviously, this roster still needs work (mainly at QB and LB), but despite what you think, the glass isn't always completely empty.

Defense you can easily guys playing out of position. 3-4 vs 4-3 Each demand a certain skill set from the D line and LBs. Moats is a 4-3 end. Might look like he can be a 3-4 OLB but he was a stand up DE. Could not cover just like Kelsay and others forced into that roll. Management planned poorly. If you were to switch defenses then draft accordingly and pick up free agents to fill the gap. No matter who is the GM, the Bills fail to re-sign their good talent and let them walk. It leads to a snow ball effect. We had Winfield but let him walk and wasted several draft picks trying to replace him. I chalk the owes to the bean counters that Ralph Wilson relies on.

No one's happy with the team failing to meet goals this year. But I also think it's completely BS that people like yourself act like there are 0 positives or success stories on the team. Obviously, this roster still needs work (mainly at QB and LB), but despite what you think, the glass isn't always completely empty.

I believe the glass is half full. It's the substance in the glass I have a problem with.

I don't always focus on the negatives. I gave props to Fitz yesterday for having 3 consecutive seasons of passing 20TD's (first since Jim Kelly) and was bashed for it. Back to the subject at hand, if a player is better at one position than another, then you should put that player in the position that he does better at, that way the team benefits from it. Trying to fit a square peg into a round hole does not work, It's not rocket science.

Well think back to last season when we had zero pass rush minus John Beck being John Beck. The Bills went out and signed two DE's. We had Merriman and Kelsey and Kyle Moore backing them up. Rather than simply release Moats, who has shown flashes of talent and is willing to do whats best fort he team, the Bills put him at LB, where we needed help. It didnt work and injuries have forced him to switch positions, but they tried to get the best 11 on the field.

Moats is a 3-4 OLB... and a very good one. The problem is, Buddy wentoff his original plan in switching to the 3-4. In the end Moats is gingto en up playing, and thriving, in a 3-4 somewhere. Pittsburg, Jets, Houston, New England... he could be a good fit for any of those teams.

Under which grading system is Moats a very good linebacker?

I think the biggest mistake made in the Nix/Gailey era was to go from a 43 to a 34 and then back to 43. Those two years at 34 set us back considerably. Not only did they draft players for the 34, but they also asked players to switch schemes 3 times in 3 years. We forget that this scheme this year was new, hence the slow start on D. It set the team back considerably. There has been no continuity and as a result, many fans are calling for their heads...which would produce greater lack of continuity.

I want to see Nix/Gailey for another season to see what they can do vs a brutal schedule next year. 3 years isn't enough time.

Answer me this: Do you think Buddy Nix is satisfied with being 5-7 and on the extreme fringe of the playoff picture in his third season of rebuilding?

I'm not delusional enough to think you'll ever be more than a shill for the organization, but the OP made a point and you didn't answer.

Back on topic though. Perhaps Arthur Moats isn't a SAM or even starting grade, but moving a player around so frequently makes it appear the coaching remains indecisive. What say you?

I think the biggest mistake made in the Nix/Gailey era was to go from a 43 to a 34 and then back to 43. Those two years at 34 set us back considerably. Not only did they draft players for the 34, but they also asked players to switch schemes 3 times in 3 years. We forget that this scheme this year was new, hence the slow start on D. It set the team back considerably. There has been no continuity and as a result, many fans are calling for their heads...which would produce greater lack of continuity.

I want to see Nix/Gailey for another season to see what they can do vs a brutal schedule next year. 3 years isn't enough time.

Someone has already pointed out that they were running the 4-3 for a good part of last year.

Answer me this: Do you think Buddy Nix is satisfied with being 5-7 and on the extreme fringe of the playoff picture in his third season of rebuilding?

I'm not delusional enough to think you'll ever be more than a shill for the organization, but the OP made a point and you didn't answer.

Back on topic though. Perhaps Arthur Moats isn't a SAM or even starting grade, but moving a player around so frequently makes it appear the coaching remains indecisive. What say you?

And I'm not delusional to ever think you will be nothing but a complainer. The worst day in the world for you will be if the Bills ever make the playoffs. You won't have anything to post. Have a good weekend.

And I'm not delusional to ever think you will be nothing but a complainer. The worst day in the world for you will be if the Bills ever make the playoffs. You won't have anything to post. Have a good weekend.

You failed to answer my question. When you're well enough to do so, and would prefer not to on this forum, you can PM.

With the record this year, we won't be seeing a brutal schedule......

The bottom line is this. We are 5-7 and do not have a realistic chance of making the playoffs for a 13th straight season. We have not beaten a good team or a team with a winning record this season. Our current coach has a record of 15-29 in almost three seasons of work. Our current QB has never beaten a team on the road that has finished the season with a winning record. After 3 years into the rebuilding mode, we are woeful at LB and not much better at corner. (Sure Gilmore and Brooks may be players, but Rogers and A Williams are horrible, and Wilson needs to be replaced. We need to resign Byrd, and if this organization is savvy, they will resign McKelvin as well) And of course we have to address the QB situation. And we could still use a big wideout that can run-maybe Easley is that guy. Three years into a rebuild, we should not have this many holes throughout the team. Yea we have some good players. But so does EVERY team in the NFL. (The Jags have Cecil Shorts) It is not an individual game. It is a team game. And we have not been able to put together a competitive TEAM!! I think a great measuring stick for where this team stands is how we play against St Louis and Seattle. We play two hard competitive games against two teams that are not great, but are playing good football right now, and match them toe to toe throughout, and come away with two hard fought victories, than I say we are making progress. We get whipped by both, than EVERYONE needs to go..(Buddy, Chan, and his coaches, Fitzie) It is all about the w's. Not the feel good stories. You want feel good stories, go read children's books!!

The bottom line is this. We are 5-7 and do not have a realistic chance of making the playoffs for a 13th straight season. We have not beaten a good team or a team with a winning record this season. Our current coach has a record of 15-29 in almost three seasons of work. Our current QB has never beaten a team on the road that has finished the season with a winning record. After 3 years into the rebuilding mode, we are woeful at LB and not much better at corner. (Sure Gilmore and Brooks may be players, but Rogers and A Williams are horrible, and Wilson needs to be replaced. We need to resign Byrd, and if this organization is savvy, they will resign McKelvin as well) And of course we have to address the QB situation. And we could still use a big wideout that can run-maybe Easley is that guy. Three years into a rebuild, we should not have this many holes throughout the team. Yea we have some good players. But so does EVERY team in the NFL. (The Jags have Cecil Shorts) It is not an individual game. It is a team game. And we have not been able to put together a competitive TEAM!! I think a great measuring stick for where this team stands is how we play against St Louis and Seattle. We play two hard competitive games against two teams that are not great, but are playing good football right now, and match them toe to toe throughout, and come away with two hard fought victories, than I say we are making progress. We get whipped by both, than EVERYONE needs to go..(Buddy, Chan, and his coaches, Fitzie) It is all about the w's. Not the feel good stories. You want feel good stories, go read children's books!!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Thank you! But after 13 years of missing the playoffs, we're supposed to be wearing rose-colored glasses and continue to drink the kool-aid :bag::thumbdown::doh::wallbash::censored::death:

Arthur Moats was a DE in college. Since he's been on the Bills, he's been shuffled all over the field and back again, from ILB to OLB to DE and back and forth numerous times. Moats is back at DE and is earning praise again from Gailey: "In recent weeks, he's moved back to his original position in the NFL -- DE, which is also where he played in college -- and he's given the Bills' injured defensive line a boost with limited reps. “We've been a little thin at defensive end and to give those guys a blow,” Gailey said. “And to be honest, the first time he went in there two weeks ago, he pushed the tackle right back into the quarterback and we remember what he did do when he was playing defensive end. It makes you remember those things, he's been at linebacker so long. So he's been a good change of pace to give us a little rest and give a little pressure to the quarterback.” http://www.cbssports...-chris-hairston

Also, look at last year when Alex Carrington & Spencer Johnson were playing at OLB. Two 300+lb D-linemen playing OLB? WTF were they thinking?! Carrington is having a break out year this year (so far) at defensive tackle and had his best game to date this past Sunday. Aaron Williams is another player that draft experts said would be a safety in the NFL, but yet the Bills put him in at CB. AW has been terrible at CB for the Bills this year.

Good points. Spencer Johnson and Carrington at linebacker was beyond any realm of reasonable. I guess that might speak to how well our roster fit the 3-4; meaning it didn't at all.

Good thing we left Cordy Glenn at guard, the position the "experts" viewed as his best. Oh wait...

Yep, the Bills have been great at talent evaluation since 2000. That Maybin guy sure had a fast first step, didn't he? And how about that Mike Williams fellow, big guy from Texas, great Left Tackle in the league. Shall I continue...

Yep, the Bills have been great at talent evaluation since 2000. That Maybin guy sure had a fast first step, didn't he? And how about that Mike Williams fellow, big guy from Texas, great Left Tackle in the league. Shall I continue...

Did Buddy draft Maybin?

Is Buddy responsible for what happened before him?

It may not show in the record yet, but I do believe the roster is stronger than it was before he arrived. We still have some spots to fill, but I never expected that he would be able to complete the job yet.

How many "experts" said CJ Spiller was a bust and a wasted pick?

PTR

If you dont think this roster is in better shape than it was 3 years ago youre kidding yourself. Yes we have holes to fill but we satrted with almost nothing. We had one receiver, a C, a G, No d- line, and a FS. Now were a few LBs away and maybe a QB (I still think Fitz is good enough to win with a good team) from being very competitive. Our defense has been top 5 the last few weeks. Weve laid some duds this year but I'm still confident in the coaching and management. This isnt the DJ years or Mularkey or Williams. I actually really believe we have a chance each week, I never felt that a few years ago

There are reasons why teams win in the NFL with consistency - and one of those reasons, and a critical ability of any team, is to be able to discern talent. Now, I've been "banging this drum" for almost two years now, but I'll say it again, because I think it is really a critical point: If a team has no identity, they will be very limited in their ability to scout, and bring in, talent. The whole magic to drafting is being able to see players whose skills "FIT" perfectly with a "NEED" on a team. I will use the Patriots as a prime example; their motto is something like, "Do your job". They preach that each person needs only be responsible for their role. And, the coaches know exactly what they want their offense and defense to look like. That is why guys like Edelman can thrive in New England, where they would probably not have jobs otherwise.

The Bills don't have an IDENTITY. Who knows, really, what the Bills are SUPPOSED to look like? Who knows the vision that Buddy, or Chan, or Ralph has for this team? No one. And, that is one of THE problems here. That is why the Bills need to get that coach, or that GM, who has a vision of what he wants the Bills to be. Then the players will be found, the consistency will begin, and we'll see growth, and development, from year to year. How can Moats be successful when he's been used in 4 different positions over the last 3 years? It would be hard. Likewise for Carrington, and even guys like Dareus. They're getting used to "roles" that were different just last year.

That is why Patience - as asked for by Nix - is hard for Bills fans, because we feel, although we all can't exrpess it, that might not be a "VISION", or any one Identity that this team is moving towards, and therefore Patience, in that instance, means nothing, and leads to what we've seen these past 15 years - mediocrity at best.

There are reasons why teams win in the NFL with consistency - and one of those reasons, and a critical ability of any team, is to be able to discern talent. Now, I've been "banging this drum" for almost two years now, but I'll say it again, because I think it is really a critical point: If a team has no identity, they will be very limited in their ability to scout, and bring in, talent. The whole magic to drafting is being able to see players whose skills "FIT" perfectly with a "NEED" on a team. I will use the Patriots as a prime example; their motto is something like, "Do your job". They preach that each person needs only be responsible for their role. And, the coaches know exactly what they want their offense and defense to look like. That is why guys like Edelman can thrive in New England, where they would probably not have jobs otherwise.

The Bills don't have an IDENTITY. Who knows, really, what the Bills are SUPPOSED to look like? Who knows the vision that Buddy, or Chan, or Ralph has for this team? No one. And, that is one of THE problems here. That is why the Bills need to get that coach, or that GM, who has a vision of what he wants the Bills to be. Then the players will be found, the consistency will begin, and we'll see growth, and development, from year to year. How can Moats be successful when he's been used in 4 different positions over the last 3 years? It would be hard. Likewise for Carrington, and even guys like Dareus. They're getting used to "roles" that were different just last year.

That is why Patience - as asked for by Nix - is hard for Bills fans, because we feel, although we all can't exrpess it, that might not be a "VISION", or any one Identity that this team is moving towards, and therefore Patience, in that instance, means nothing, and leads to what we've seen these past 15 years - mediocrity at best.

I 100% disagree with this. The Bills and Buddy have been very clear about our identity. They want a tough defense and high scoring efficient offense that relies on short quick throws and screens with a strong running game. Both sides of the ball have shown flashes of it. This is the formula Beleicheat won those super bowls with. He used to have this limited young QB that was learning on the job

Belecheck was a retread HC who had no idea what he was doing until out of nowhere the Pats* won a super bowl.

Edited by Captain Hindsight

Did Buddy draft Maybin?

Is Buddy responsible for what happened before him?

It may not show in the record yet, but I do believe the roster is stronger than it was before he arrived. We still have some spots to fill, but I never expected that he would be able to complete the job yet.

Buddy was on the Bills at that time as a talent scout when Maybin was drafted. Let's take a look at some other draft gems:

http://en.wikipedia....lo_Bills_season

2nd rd pick Torell Troup: Hasn't made an impact, and has been hurt for most of his career in the NFL to date. I do feel for the kid and hope he can recover.

4th rd pick Marcus Easley: Hasn't made an impact, and has been hurt for most of his career in the NFL to date.

5th rd pick Ed Wang: Cut

6th rd pick Danny Batten: Cut

7th rd pick Levi Brown: Cut

7th rd pick Kyle Calloway: Cut before preseason that year

2011 draft class

2nd round pick Aaron Williams: While his career is still young, he's one of the worst CB's in the league

5th round pick Johnny White: Is he still even on the team? (not being sarcastic)

6th round pick Chris White: same thing

7th round pick Michael Jasper: cut

2012 draft class

5th Round (144th Overall) – Zebrie Sanders (OT, Florida State): IR

5th Round (147th Overall) – Tank Carder (LB, TCU): Cut, playing on the Browns

6th Round (178th Overall) – Mark Asper (OG, Oregon): Cut

7th Round (251st Overall) – John Potter (K, Western Michigan): Cut for Lindell (who gailey was afraid of letting him kick a 50 yard FG in a dome).

How about signing Cornell Green as a RT, yeah that was a great move.

If you dont think this roster is in better shape than it was 3 years ago youre kidding yourself. Yes we have holes to fill but we satrted with almost nothing. We had one receiver, a C, a G, No d- line, and a FS. Now were a few LBs away and maybe a QB (I still think Fitz is good enough to win with a good team) from being very competitive. Our defense has been top 5 the last few weeks. Weve laid some duds this year but I'm still confident in the coaching and management. This isnt the DJ years or Mularkey or Williams. I actually really believe we have a chance each week, I never felt that a few years ago

I used to think Jauron did a good job of getting the most out of his players, as the Bills led the league in injuries. I'm done thinking this team is getting closer, when they're not. Mismanagement has been a problem, as well as getting a franchise QB. The Bills haven't made the playoffs in 13 years for numerous reasons. Until the Bills start beating upper echelon teams like the Patriots, Texans, 49ers, Ravens, Broncos, Falcons, etc... then you can't say they're getting closer. Losing close to top teams is still the same result, it's a loss. You don't get points or move up in the standings for losing close games.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Jerry Your being naughty. Every body loved the Casper pick and loved the guy. You just didn't see it. Non believers can't see a ghost you know. It's the holidays and time to be nice. Jasper might be back with us next year. I like Nix. I think he has done a good job over all. Chan?? Not so much.

Jerry Your being naughty. Every body loved the Casper pick and loved the guy. You just didn't see it. Non believers can't see a ghost you know. It's the holidays and time to be nice. Jasper might be back with us next year. I like Nix. I think he has done a good job over all. Chan?? Not so much.

I liked Jasper too. Jasper busted his butt to lose a ton of weight in a short time. IMO, Jasper should have been on our practice squad again this past year.