A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

1) Watching the game, I noticed nothing from Dareus. Seriously, in our goal line stand with 4 minutes left in the 1st half, Spencer Johnson was in there, not Marcel. He does not show up at all in terms of tackles, assists, or sacks on NFL.com. I don't know what to read into this? Was he hurt?

2) I have gone against the grain on this board wrt the wildcat, but I for one continue to like it big time. Getting the ball to Brad Smith is generally a good thing. He makes plays and first downs when given the opportunity. I like him on returns as well, and imo, he is an important contributor to this football team.

3) Easley? Where did he come from? Not only did he have a good return, but he made an important tackle on special teams right before the half. Plays such as these mean something, and it's nice to get production from someone that most of us had probably written off. I know I wrote him off a long time ago.

4) Stevie was just magnificent on that TD reception. He faked the defender out of his shoes, and was WIDE open! Again, Stevie is as good at getting open as anybody we have had in here in a long time. Imo, he compares to Welker, and this is quite the compliment. I hope that he is not injured.

5) My girlfriend (a Giant Fan) told me today that if she was prone to depression, she would want to be a Bills fan. And btw, she is totally supportive of the Bills week after week. She likes us. That said, I don't think that she fully gets it wrt being a Bills fan. How could she? Today, we are all ecstatic in some form whether we admit it or not. This after beating a terrible team. But we are loyal to the core, and cling to hope.

6) When I was just a little young boy,

Papa said "Son, you'll never get far,

I'll tell you the reason, if you want to know,

'cause child of mine, there isn't really very, far to go"

Well baby, baby wants a gold diamond ring,

Wants it more than most, any old thing.

Well when I get those jelly roll blues,

Why I'd go, and get,

Anything in this world for you.

7) It was great to see Mario once again make a spectacular play. His numbers are there at this point, for those who care (and we all really do). He didn't get much help from KW or MD, but he brought pressure. It was very cool to see.

8) Carrington had the game of his life. 1.5 sacks, a blocked pass, and some clutch tackles. He earned his paycheck today, and it was a pleasure to watch him do so.

9) Simon, (or anybody), please help me out. You played defensive back. Please tell me why the Bills DBs always seem to have their backs to the ball. Why? It causes completions, and big time penalties. Is this what their coaches are telling them to do? Wtf is going on?

10) That TD run by Spiller was off the charts great. Glenn and Levitre just completely wiped out the left side.

11) I hope that Graham keeps improving. The son of a B word is fast!!! And, I want to send him kudos for clutching the football as well. McKelvin, Spiller and FJ have been doing this too. As much as we all (and with good reason) blast our coaching staff, I am goint to credit and praise them for stressing that the players hold onto the football and avoid fumbles.

12) Aside from his very ugly pick in the early second quarter, Fitz was OK today. At this point, I'll take OK from him.

13) Congrats to the Bills for winning a game. And big time congrats to us, loyal Bills fans who really do deserve victories!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure what prompts a statement like this. I watched today, but it was joyless. I had hope going into last week, but it was completely stolen before sundown last Sunday.

It's just that wins for us are so rare, they bring a certain amount of joy.

Say something about Gilmore, Bill. Kid's a straight baller.

He was OK. Too many penalties.

If I get a chance I will dig up some info on DB's and how they cover. I know how and why but putting it to words would be difficult, got a lot to do tonight yet.

Will make a new post later if neccessary, but decided to work on it now...

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Why-do-DBs-get-beat.html from Matt Bowen

Edited by jboyst62

HOLY FREAKIN COW, the most profound thing I saw about the game and can say about the game is RB's 42 touches...Fitz 17 pass attempts... score 34-18

Did Gailey suddenly figure out that he can win by running the ball more and throwing less? This is a huge change up on the offensive game plans from the last 3 years.

HOLY FREAKIN COW, the most profound thing I saw about the game and can say about the game is RB's 42 touches...Fitz 17 pass attempts... score 34-18

Did Gailey suddenly figure out that he can win by running the ball more and throwing less? This is a huge change up on the offensive game plans from the last 3 years.

The bad weather took him away from the passing game. He did NOT have a revelation.......

It was raining. Chan was twitching and scratching himself like a nervous crackhead on the sideline. Just waiting for the chance to pass it all game.

The PI call was garbage. I could be wrong, but it sure seems to me that the kid is gonna be special.

Most, if not all of his penalties were marginal, and ones he will get in a year or two when he has a good if not great reputation around the league. Plus, all of them were out of aggression and confidence, and not most of the Bills type penalties which are stupidity, struggling, unnecessary, out of position, etc Gilmore is good already and should be great.

My two cents...

To me the turning and catching up to a WR often times is the result of a poor pre-snap read, poor ability, poor coaching, or a really good QB/play action. The poor pre-snap read could easily mean that the DB believed the play to be something different or saw something that he was not able to correct to when the snap occurred. The poor ability might mean he is too slow, too stiff of hips, did not have enough leverage when hit might have made a bump and run or other press coverage technique. Or, he could just be a bad player.

The poor coaching is interesting because the DB could be put in many bad situations on a bad defensive scheme package and have to use his natural ability to compete and catch up. I think this is why McKelvin can look so good at times, because he could be the best all around athlete on the field and he can make up for his mistakes quickly. Of course, the QB and play action freezes a DB - but that can be attributed to a coaching plan if you got picky.

We have been playing a lot of man defense and not going after the QB, this means that the DB's have to be on their WR a little bit longer and a little bit tighter because pressure has not got there. Due to this we need to be on our guys 4 to 5 seconds, maybe more; and a good DL can get to the QB in almost 3 for pressure. If we got more pressure we get better DB's. If we get better DB's we get a better DL. It is a back and forth, and the wildcard is the safety, and I would get in to that but will just say that when you can have a speedy FS to roam the entire field and get to the ball the QB has to know that by the time the ball gets to the target the route could be jumped.

But back to the original topic. The DB's play catch up on our team because we jam at the line and/or we play so far off of it that we do not have much back pedaling. I forgot the game, but we played 12-15 yards off of the LOS, and every play was 5 yards in front of out DB's until they stretched it out on us and went longer. By that time our DB's were all over the place. It may have been NE.

If I could draw it up (I guess I could but won't), I would also illustrate how we get beat all the time on the outside. This leaves the defender between the QB and the target, and the target against a sideline some times. The only way to make the play at this point, when you're not facing the QB, is to attack the WR and not the ball. Well, you just cannot attack a WR.

So, how do we correct this? We get a reliable MLB and SS who can hold up the run. We make sure we utilize Byrd every bit we can and overcome his lack of speed. When in packages we make sure assignments are clear. In a nickel or dime we need to get the CB's on the WR's and make them get jammed, send them to the middle and use the outside of the field. If they get beat make sure Byrd is there to push them out of bounds after the catch. Most importantly, improve the pass rush.

Gotta temper any feelings of grandiosity by reminding ourselves that this was against the Jags.

When Fitz and Chan's play calling, and Wannstache can actually compete with the 49ers, Steelers, GBs, and Patriots of the league, THAT would be something. They're not even close to being able to do so. I don't accept performances like this as any indication other than they can beat BAD teams. Whoop-di-do!

The PI call was garbage. I could be wrong, but it sure seems to me that the kid is gonna be special.

They were garbage calls. Maybe one was a true PI. But the kids will be a dynamic corner in two years. He will cover one side of the field, which will give us a better defensive options.. And kudos to our defense, they have been playing like men against the run as of late..

9) Simon, (or anybody), please help me out. You played defensive back. Please tell me why the Bills DBs always seem to have their backs to the ball. Why? It causes completions, and big time penalties. Is this what their coaches are telling them to do? Wtf is going on?

When a DB has over the top help, a lot of the time they will play what is called trail coverage in order to take away the underneath passes. The back shoulder fade, which I am guessing is what you are asking about, is the toughest pass for any DB to stop

He finally saw this website last week . He must have been wondering this is a great site for how to best use his players. lol

Seriously tho, if he would have ran it more early in the season we are 7-5 instead of 5-7.

When a DB has over the top help, a lot of the time they will play what is called trail coverage in order to take away the underneath passes. The back shoulder fade, which I am guessing is what you are asking about, is the toughest pass for any DB to stop

I love Byrd. And George Wilson has been a huge surprise in his career. Neither of them give the over the top help they need to give to support this group of CB's. They are basically exact lopsided in play style. Byrd loose and free. Wilson slow and instinctive-prior to this season hardly ever out of position. And then Gilmore who is on the spot up tight but leaving the backdoor open. And whoever else opposite him still learning and making up for abilities.

The bad weather took him away from the passing game. He did NOT have a revelation.......

This could be the start of a beautiful idea for future game plans. Gailey did state about 4 games ago he needs to get his backs 40 touches. I suppose we will need to wait and see what happens the next few week.

It was raining. Chan was twitching and scratching himself like a nervous crackhead on the sideline. Just waiting for the chance to pass it all game.

rofl :worthy:

So, as Bills fans do we pray for rain every game? :lol:

He finally saw this website last week . He must have been wondering this is a great site for how to best use his players. lol

Seriously tho, if he would have ran it more early in the season we are 7-5 instead of 5-7.

If not better then 7-5....but then it took 12 games for Dave Wannstedt to figure out how to play defense

I missed my first game of the year, pulled a jboyst and worked outside all day and listened to Murphy and kelso I think

All I envision now is Chan tweaking on the sideline with 7 straight run plays and freaking out

Well, Bill from NYC would probably say that we should pray for "Cold, Rain and Snow."

I missed my first game of the year, pulled a jboyst and worked outside all day and listened to Murphy and kelso I think

All I envision now is Chan tweaking on the sideline with 7 straight run plays and freaking out

Yeah, that was a great line.

BTW, the farmer was self-admittedly planting bulbs today.

I sure hope you weren't, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Dareus is a complete mystery. Tremendous rook year...brutal sophomore season. I get the family tragedy, but this seems more than that. Thank god Carrington is coming around.

I really don't think he's been that brutal. Not as good as last season, but it's not like it's time to write him off or anything.

rofl :worthy:

F$&K rain. Chan will find a way to pass in that. I want freezing rain, Hail, Sleet, Ice, Snow, Blizzard like Snow, Lake effect blizzard like snow, 50+ MPH winds all game. Maybe then, Chan will have no choice but to run the ball.

If not better then 7-5....but then it took 12 games for Dave Wannstedt to figure out how to play defense

If not better than 7-5....but then it took 12 games for Dave Wannstedt to figure out how to play defense

I truly am sorry.....but than/then bugs the snot out of me.....and this was even a sentence with both than & then in it....or should have been.

Edited by Dibs

BTW, the farmer was self-admittedly planting bulbs today.

I sure hope you weren't, not that there's anything wrong with that.

Better not be. Man, I was pumped. 90% off bulbs at lowes the other day and I still bought $60 worth, probably 400 total count.

Here is what we know so far this season: the Bills can beat 5 bad teams including the two worst teams in the league. We also know that they haven't beaten any team with a winning record.

Conclusion: this is another wasted season. Mediocre in way too many areas. Bills fans deserve better. Maybe the next owner will do better.

Here is what we know so far this season: the Bills can beat 5 bad teams including the two worst teams in the league. We also know that they haven't beaten any team with a winning record.

Conclusion: this is another wasted season. Mediocre in way too many areas. Bills fans deserve better. Maybe the next owner will do better.

The die-hard kool-aid drinking fans will tell you they STILL have a playoff shot. NVM that they beat KC (2-10) Cleveland (4-8) Arizona (4-8) Miami (5-7) Jacksonville (2-10), and lost games to the Titans (4-8) Jets (5-7)

They play St Louis (5-6-1) at home, who just beat the 49ers. Seattle (7-5) @ Toronto, and @ Miami (5-7) the Jets at home (5-7) so they very well could finish 8-8 or 9-7. Or they could easily lose out because all the teams they face have near equal records with Seattle the only one with a winning record. 5-11, 6-10. are still very possible if the HC reverts to his pass happy ways

The Bills are still 2 games down on the Bengals (7-5) All Bills fans can do at this point is hope.

Not sure what prompts a statement like this. I watched today, but it was joyless. I had hope going into last week, but it was completely stolen before sundown last Sunday.

I have to a agree. I watched the entire game, but I was totally dispassionate. Another failed campaign after last week's loss to the Colts. Any hope for the playoffs is little more than wishful thinking.

I don't know about others but the only reason I was desperate for us to beat the Colts was so that we could have a chance to make the playoffs. That was emotionally important to me ONLY because we are the league joke with the longest streak of not making the playoffs.

I knew before the Colts game that we had some major problems on the team(Coaches, QB, LBs etc) and that if we were to sneak into the playoffs it wasn't going to be a true representation of the team as a whole nor a reflection of our future success.

The joy I felt today was due to having yet another recent game where the Defense seemed much improved from earlier in the season......and the fact that the game progression suggested that when we focus on the running game, utilizing our first class RBs, we look like we have something that potentially will see us be a legitimate playoff team in the future.

Most, if not all of his penalties were marginal, and ones he will get in a year or two when he has a good if not great reputation around the league. Plus, all of them were out of aggression and confidence, and not most of the Bills type penalties which are stupidity, struggling, unnecessary, out of position, etc Gilmore is good already and should be great.

Agreed. He uses the same tactics Revis uses. Once he stops the ridiculous "180 spin move" coverage thing and the officials start respecting him, he could be very special.

Gotta temper any feelings of grandiosity by reminding ourselves that this was against the Jags.

When Fitz and Chan's play calling, and Wannstache can actually compete with the 49ers, Steelers, GBs, and Patriots of the league, THAT would be something. They're not even close to being able to do so. I don't accept performances like this as any indication other than they can beat BAD teams. Whoop-di-do!

Agreed. There were a number of plays the Jags left on the field yesterday. There were open receivers that were recognized but Henne threw bad balls in the weather. I didn't see much difference in the defense from the pathetic efforts we've had all season.

Agreed. He uses the same tactics Revis uses. Once he stops the ridiculous "180 spin move" coverage thing and the officials start respecting him, he could be very special.

Agreed. There were a number of plays the Jags left on the field yesterday. There were open receivers that were recognized but Henne threw bad balls in the weather. I didn't see much difference in the defense from the pathetic efforts we've had all season.

Thankfully, our LBs were not pressed into much service today. Our DBs played a fantastic game. It allowed Wanny to pressure the QB with just four linemen.

Dareus is a complete mystery. Tremendous rook year...brutal sophomore season. I get the family tragedy, but this seems more than that. Thank god Carrington is coming around.

Dareus, with all of his added weight, may be hitting a conditioning wall in his second season. He needs to show up for camp next year with a chip on his shoulder and a good 30 lbs. lighter. The upside of his weak play has been the emergence of Carrington, as you have noted. The more high-end talent we have to rotate through our defensive line rotation, the more fresh snaps we'll get, and that means more big plays from well rested players.

Agreed on Gilmore.

I love his competitiveness and "want to." He's always stripping at the ball and he comes hard on run support.

I LOVE the kid. He's a keeper, IMO.

I keep saying this, but it looks more and more true every week: he plays the same exact game as a young Ty Law.

1) Watching the game, I noticed nothing from Dareus. Seriously, in our goal line stand with 4 minutes left in the 1st half, Spencer Johnson was in there, not Marcel. He does not show up at all in terms of tackles, assists, or sacks on NFL.com. I don't know what to read into this? Was he hurt?

2) I have gone against the grain on this board wrt the wildcat, but I for one continue to like it big time. Getting the ball to Brad Smith is generally a good thing. He makes plays and first downs when given the opportunity. I like him on returns as well, and imo, he is an important contributor to this football team.

3) Easley? Where did he come from? Not only did he have a good return, but he made an important tackle on special teams right before the half. Plays such as these mean something, and it's nice to get production from someone that most of us had probably written off. I know I wrote him off a long time ago.

4) Stevie was just magnificent on that TD reception. He faked the defender out of his shoes, and was WIDE open! Again, Stevie is as good at getting open as anybody we have had in here in a long time. Imo, he compares to Welker, and this is quite the compliment. I hope that he is not injured.

5) My girlfriend (a Giant Fan) told me today that if she was prone to depression, she would want to be a Bills fan. And btw, she is totally supportive of the Bills week after week. She likes us. That said, I don't think that she fully gets it wrt being a Bills fan. How could she? Today, we are all ecstatic in some form whether we admit it or not. This after beating a terrible team. But we are loyal to the core, and cling to hope.

6) When I was just a little young boy,

Papa said "Son, you'll never get far,

I'll tell you the reason, if you want to know,

'cause child of mine, there isn't really very, far to go"

Well baby, baby wants a gold diamond ring,

Wants it more than most, any old thing.

Well when I get those jelly roll blues,

Why I'd go, and get,

Anything in this world for you.

7) It was great to see Mario once again make a spectacular play. His numbers are there at this point, for those who care (and we all really do). He didn't get much help from KW or MD, but he brought pressure. It was very cool to see.

8) Carrington had the game of his life. 1.5 sacks, a blocked pass, and some clutch tackles. He earned his paycheck today, and it was a pleasure to watch him do so.

10) That TD run by Spiller was off the charts great. Glenn and Levitre just completely wiped out the left side.

11) I hope that Graham keeps improving. The son of a B word is fast!!! And, I want to send him kudos for clutching the football as well. McKelvin, Spiller and FJ have been doing this too. As much as we all (and with good reason) blast our coaching staff, I am goint to credit and praise them for stressing that the players hold onto the football and avoid fumbles.

12) Aside from his very ugly pick in the early second quarter, Fitz was OK today. At this point, I'll take OK from him.

13) Congrats to the Bills for winning a game. And big time congrats to us, loyal Bills fans who really do deserve victories!

14) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello Bill, another good post. With #3 & 8, both guys had a career day. Yeh, it was against Jacksonville, but its good to see the young players stepping up. It's these games that help them progress on the learning curve. jmo

Agreed! Kinda like your beloved family pet winning the ugly dog competition...

Agree with every Bill and good post. However, I get the feeling Gilmore is going to be your new Spiller and Whitner (looks pretty good on the 49ers, doesn't he?). :D The guy looks as confident as any rookie cb I have seen with the Bills. He needs to get some more game turning plays, but the guy has Revis potential IMO.

Agree with every Bill and good post. However, I get the feeling Gilmore is going to be your new Spiller and Whitner (looks pretty good on the 49ers, doesn't he?). :D The guy looks as confident as any rookie cb I have seen with the Bills. He needs to get some more game turning plays, but the guy has Revis potential IMO.

I don't know if he will be Revis good or not. But he is experimenting now trying to figure out exactly how much cheating he can expect to get away with and not get the PI call. He will end up being a keeper to be sure.

Gilmore looks like he can be pretty good. Very early in the game, he turned around and ran backwards just before the snap. Henne put it in the spot that he left for a first down. Plays such as this are not the fault of this kid. The defensive system is obviously quite flawed.

And btw, you should have added Losman to the list above. :) And remember, teams need wins, not top 10 picks who are ok, such as Whitner. He was one of the worst draft selections I have ever seen, considering who was left when those 2 clowns selected him.