A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

Bill from NYC

1) A great poster on this board who isn't around these days constantly made the case that DT was the most important position on the defense. Not sure if I agree, but his words rang true last night. Dareus was in game shape, and along with Kyle Williams, disrupted the Miami offense all night. Carrington also blocked a pass.

2) His excellent first half notwithstanding, that pick by Byrd was a thing of beauty. He was fully extended and just made that pass his.

3) The punt to the one yard line was an instrumental play in this game. Big time kudos to Powell.

4) Speaking of key plays, my money says that if Wood didn't recover Jones' fumble, we would have found a way to lose this game. Imo, plays such as these are indicative of just how hard a player works to win a football game. Well, Wood hustled and went down for the football, and I for one sincerely appreciate big time effort such as this.

5) OK, so the win was less than inspirational, but check it out.....going into the season, didn't we expect wins such as this? Other than San Jose Bills Fan, not too many of us were sure of what we had at LT. Fitz is Fitz, and there were issues at WR. We knew this, but they DID spend a fortune on the defense. In other words, I'll take it, blowout or not.

6) Speaking of Fitz, he scared me all night. His stats were actually not so bad, and he had a clutch first down run, but he was once again forcing throws. But, we won!!!!! After Kelly, none of our QBs had a whole hell of a lot of wins in games that they started. To put this in perspective, Edwards had more than Losman. At this point I will take the W.

7) Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know

Feels like it might be alright

While Lady Lullaby sings plainly for you,

Love still, rings true

Midnight on a carousel ride,

Reaching for the gold ring,

Down inside

Never could reach,

It just slips away,

But I try.

8) OK, it's fun time. Yep, time to discuss the play of our DEs. Mario had one sack, consistent pressure, and held his side quite well vs. the run. Too bad Moore had that facemask, because he too played well. MERRIMAN? Hello? On one play, he had not one, but TWO brutal hits on Long, an all pro. Is it possible that he is actually back in shape, ready to produce? Because if he is, the Bills DL is going to be awfully dificult to throw against. It's one of those things that looks too good to be true. Fingers crossed.

9) Well, Spiller stepped up today, and handled his increased number of snaps quite well. Once again, he also blocked when called upon, and held onto the football. He paid the price too. Much of that yardage came after contact.

10) Gailey's play calling continues to astound me at times. Late in the 2nd quarter, he went with a naked backfield on 3rd and 1. Why? I thought it was 2 down territory.

11) I know that the outcome of this game disappointed the "lose out and draft early" crowd. And while I understand, count me as one who is down with winning football games, however ugly. We have to get a quarterback no matter where we draft. Tannehill, a #8, might be good, and while I need to see much more of him to rate him, I wasn't very impressed. Sanchez went 6th as I recall, and isn't all that. Yeah, I would rather win football games and hope for the best.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

re: 1) I hope that Dareus was finally able to shake whatever was holding him back(probably his family tragedy), but for the first time he looked excited to be playing.

re: 2) I had no idea that ball was an interception...I saw Byrd leave his feet and was waiting for a flag for pass interference...the camera angle made it seem as the ball was not anywhere close to Byrd, when I saw the subsequent scramble, I was blown away. did NOT see that one coming at all!

re: 6) Fitz is one tough sob. he was laying some serious blocks out there all night on running plays. Give him consistent receivers and a defense and I am happy with him back there

1) A great poster on this board who isn't around these days constantly made the case that DT was the most important position on the defense. Not sure if I agree, but his words rang true last night. Dareus was in game shape, and along with Kyle Williams, disrupted the Miami offense all night. Carrington also blocked a pass.

2) His excellent first half notwithstanding, that pick by Byrd was a thing of beauty. He was fully extended and just made that pass his.

3) The punt to the one yard line was an instrumental play in this game. Big time kudos to Powell.

4) Speaking of key plays, my money says that if Wood didn't recover Jones' fumble, we would have found a way to lose this game. Imo, plays such as these are indicative of just how hard a player works to win a football game. Well, Wood hustled and went down for the football, and I for one sincerely apprecite big time effort such as this.

5) OK, so the win was less than inspirational, but check it out.....going into the season, didn't we expect wins such as this? Other than San Jose Bills Fan, not too many of us were sure of what we had at LT. Fitz is Fitz, and there were issues at WR. We knew this, but they DID spend a fortune on the defense. In other words, I'll take it, blowout or not.

6) Speaking of Fitz, he scared me all night. His stats were actually not so bad, and he had a clutch first down run, but he was once again forcing throws. But, we won!!!!! After Kelly, none of our QBs had a whole hell of a lot of wins in games that they started. To put this in perspective, Edwards had more than Losman. At this point I will take the W.

7) Life may be sweeter for this, I don't know

Feels like it might be alright

While Lady Lullaby sings plainly for you,

Love still, rings true

Midnight on a carousel ride,

Reaching for the gold ring,

Down inside

Never could reach,

It just slips away,

But I try.

8) OK, it's fun time. Yep, time to discuss the play of our DEs. Mario had one sack, consistent pressure, and held his side quite well vs. the run. Too bad Moore had that facemask, because he too played well. MERRIMAN? Hello? On one play, he had not one, but TWO brutal hits on Long, an all pro. Is it possible that he is actually back in shape, ready to produce? Because if he is, the Bills DL is going to be awfully dificult to throw against. It's one of those things that looks too good to be true. Fingers crossed.

9) Well, Spiller stepped up today, and handled his increased number of snaps quite well. Once again, he also blocked when called upon, and held onto the football. He paid the price too. Much of that yardage came after contact.

10) Gailey's play calling continues to astound me at times. Late in the 2nd quarter, he went with a naked backfield on 3rd and 1. Why? I thought it was 2 down territory.

11) I know that the outcome of this game disappointed the "lose out and draft early" crowd. And while I understand, count me as one who is down with winning football games, however ugly. We have to get a quarterback no matter where we draft. Tannehill, a #8, might be good, and while I need to see much more of him to rate him, I wasn't very impressed. Sanchez went 6th as I recall, and isn't all that. Yeah, I would rather win football games and hope for the best.

12) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Few points I might add:

- Lindell is a liability on kick offs. When the rest of the league counts on multiple touch backs, and GUARANTEES on each of them the ball will be at the 20, we roll the dice by putting it in the hands of the opposing returners and leave open the possibility of a big return. It cost us 7 last night that could have cost the game. Can't Powell also do kick offs? A strong leg is a strong leg ... is the technique for kicking off a tee vs a punt all that different? I can't imagine he'd be any worse than Lindell, and it's an alternative at least worth exploring.

- Chan appeased the "just give to Spiller" crowd and the numbers were good, but not amazing. He averaged a pedestrian 4.1/carry and the offense didnt score a TD. I have not been unhappy with the way he's used Spiller to this point, and hope when Fred comes back they go back to their original plan PROVIDED they can address his fumbling problem. Spillers most dangerous/useful when he's not the defense's key.

- I asked in a different thread and didnt get an answer: why are we so ineffective in short yardage situations when we have a) near pro bowl caliber center, b) quality guards, c) premier running backs? Dont blame Chans fancy play calling, when he call straight up runs, we mostly get stuffed.

Well done Mr. Bill. Agree with most everything. Especially #10. 3rd and 1 from the 37 and you go empty??? then punt??? for a 3-6 team??? That and NOT considering a throw after Miami spent all their timeouts is what losing coaches do.

- I asked in a different thread and didnt get an answer: why are we so ineffective in short yardage situations when we have a) near pro bowl caliber center, b) quality guards, c) premier running backs? Dont blame Chans fancy play calling, when he call straight up runs, we mostly get stuffed.

Spiller just isn't that guy. Freddie is pretty good at finding that little crack that's going to be available but CJ is like Barry Sanders in those situations. For every home run he hits, he's going to get crushed 5 or 6 times. The best thing the BILLS can do to resolve this next offseason is find a real short yardage guy who can move the pile.

Note to Chan: Stop taking Spiller off the field in the red zone. The damn football isn't heavy.

Joe-the-Sixpack, Spiller's rushing was far from pedestrian. He was averaging 5 yards a carry until the 4th quarter. His average ypc decreased after some clock-eating runs, but prior to that he was ripping off 5-, 7-, and 10-yard runs. He was dynamic all night long.

I liked the offensive and defensive performances. The play calling, as always, was flat out stupid at times. 3rd and a short 1 inside Miami's 30 and you throw from an empty backfield? C'mon, Chan, put your thinking cap on!

8) Too bad Moore had that facemask, because he too played well.

Moore is a very good pass rusher who should be out there in every obvious passing situation because he brings heat every snap. I don't know about his run defense but I do know it's embarrassing that our PR has been so bad this season and this guy hasn't been given an opportunity until almost everyone in front of him has been carted off.

That said, there were open receivers all over the place last night but Tannehill had happy feet because he got whacked a few times early in the game. We'd have given up 40 to a good QB.

One thing i loved seeing was Fitz go to block every chance he got. He loves football and he fights for our team. I respect that

If fitz is such a tough SOB and reasonably mobile, and we have a kick ass center, why don't we ever call QB sneaks on 3rd and 1? We have to solve our inability to convert in those situations.

- Chan appeased the "just give to Spiller" crowd and the numbers were good, but not amazing. He averaged a pedestrian 4.1/carry and the offense didnt score a TD. I have not been unhappy with the way he's used Spiller to this point, and hope when Fred comes back they go back to their original plan PROVIDED they can address his fumbling problem. Spillers most dangerous/useful when he's not the defense's key.

What game did you watch....Spiller was our entire offense for 3 quarters....

1st 3 quarters: 16/79 + 37 yds recieving

4th quarter: 6/12 + 2 yds recieving

obviously slowed down in the 4th but i think that was more on him trying to do to much on a couple negative runs....

That said, there were open receivers all over the place last night but Tannehill had happy feet because he got whacked a few times early in the game. We'd have given up 40 to a good QB.

Yes, Dareus and KW really did make things rough for Tannehill. Dareus was doubled on a majority of plays and stll held the middle, and KW played his penetrating game.

WRT the open receivers, McKelvin is not a very good corner. Gilmore? I guess I will stay with the party line that he is just a rookie, but I want to see more production given where he was drafted.

What game did you watch....Spiller was our entire offense for 3 quarters....

I dont really agree with that , Stevie made some nice contributions. But if I accept your point than it further argues against the "just give it to Spiller" crowd, since all the O could muster was a measly 4 FGs and was shut out on 2nd half on a night when the D played well.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I dont really agree with that , Stevie made some nice contributions. But if I accept your point than it further argues against the "just give it to Spiller" crowd, since all the O could muster was a measly 4 FGs and was shut out on 2nd half on a night when the D played well.

Well maybe Gailey should have stopped taking Spiller out in the redzone for Choice....Spiller had 0 touches in the redzone last night....WTF was Gailey !@#$ing doing....trying not to score??

I'm sure we would have scored atleast once had he been on the field in the redzone

Play calling is the absolute culprit in those short yardage situations. There is absolutely no deception and the plays are too slow to develop. In order to make the yardage, it needs to be a quick hit and by the time our back gets the ball, the D has already made some penetration. Awful hard to run under those circumstances. I suggest that Chan doesn't give away the play with the formation and use some deception to give the play time to develop. We just don't have that smash mouth back that you can just line up, hand it off and just ram it through.

Spiller just isn't that guy. Freddie is pretty good at finding that little crack that's going to be available but CJ is like Barry Sanders in those situations. For every home run he hits, he's going to get crushed 5 or 6 times. The best thing the BILLS can do to resolve this next offseason is find a real short yardage guy who can move the pile.

Note to Chan: Stop taking Spiller off the field in the red zone. The damn football isn't heavy.

The Dolphins have one of the very best run defenses in the league, 5th ranked to be exact.

BTW whats 3x 4.1 anyway? Thats a pretty darn good rushing avg against a top run defense. Better to have the RB carry then have Fitz throwing.

For whatever reason the Bills suck at short yardage situations in an elephant offense. The Bills have got the size needed to dominate that line, I'm thinking its because they mostly use the spread and just don't practice enough in a closed formation.

I'd rather see Spiller bang into the middle of the line and get 8 yards at the end of the game then to let Fitz throw and perhaps throw an INT.

Gilmore? I guess I will stay with the party line that he is just a rookie, but I want to see more production given where he was drafted.

Bill, you are again making a mistake with your premature evaluation of young players. Other than qb the CB position is the toughest position to play, especially for a rookie. As with your initial Spiller evaluation you jumped to conclusions without allowing for the normal developmental process to occur. In addition, as you well know the rules favor the receivers and make it more difficult for the DBs to cover the receivers.

Gilmore is going to be a superb player. What I like about him is that he is resilient. When he gets beat he doesn't allow it to affect him on the next play. That mental toughness is what I find most impressive. In the draft he was ranked in the vicinity of the top dozen. He war drafted where he was ranked. He was a sound pick. In last year's draft the Cowboy's traded up to near the top of the draft to take Morris Claiborne, the highly touted LSU CB. As of now Claiborne is getting skewered and is a liabiliity. At this very early stage Gilmore is dramatically outperforming the top CB pick. I'm not suggesting that Claiborne is not going to be a good player, because he will be. It simply takes time.

As with the Spiller pick you were too quick to draw conclusions. Again, with the Gilmore pick you are too quick on the draw in assessing him. Be patient and you again will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

Well maybe Gailey should have stopped taking Spiller out in the redzone for Choice....Spiller had 0 touches in the redzone last night....WTF was Gailey !@#$ing doing....trying not to score??

I'm sure we would have scored atleast once had he been on the field in the redzone

He knows that Spiller is a waterbug and not physically built to take a pounding.

As with the Spiller pick you were too quick to draw conclusions. Again, with the Gilmore pick you are too quick on the draw in assessing him. Be patient and you again will be pleasantly surprised with the outcome.

My complaints about the draft is that the way we have drafted, year after year, has not produced wins. But this probably belongs in another thread.

We have very little blocking from the TE position. A lot of teams put one in motion and hammer open a gap. Chandler is a lousy blocker and usually out on patterns.

Hello Bill and hope you're doing fine. I really agree w/ your points 5 & 6. Also, the fact that a win is a win, period. Forget about ugly wins, pretty wins, on and on and on.

But Bill, what about Leodis' TD man? Opening minutes of the game & he makes a statement like that! That's a tone - setter man. To me, that says to the Dolphins: We're hear to kick your a__ __.

We have very little blocking from the TE position. A lot of teams put one in motion and hammer open a gap. Chandler is a lousy blocker and usually out on patterns.

Good point

re: 2) I had no idea that ball was an interception...I saw Byrd leave his feet and was waiting for a flag for pass interference...the camera angle made it seem as the ball was not anywhere close to Byrd, when I saw the subsequent scramble, I was blown away. did NOT see that one coming at all!

Ditto!! I couldn't believe he came away with that ball and managed to land in-bounds! A pick, a fumble recovery and on Mckelvin' PR-TD, he gets knocked down, gets up and gets THE key block to spring McKelvin by pushing his man OOB. He has an incredible nose for the ball.

He is the heir apparent to Ed Reed & Troy P (Pitt) as the games best safety. He MUST be a re-signing priority for Buddy. Knowing Buddy's mantra about keeping the good guys you have, I am sure they will do whatever it takes to keep him in Bflo.

Hello Bill and hope you're doing fine. I really agree w/ your points 5 & 6. Also, the fact that a win is a win, period. Forget about ugly wins, pretty wins, on and on and on.

But Bill, what about Leodis' TD man? Opening minutes of the game & he makes a statement like that! That's a tone - setter man. To me, that says to the Dolphins: We're hear to kick your a__ __.

McKelvin is a legit home run threat on every kick. If he had better vision in terms of seeing openings, he would probably break touchdown records. Meanwhile, when he gets through an opening, he is virtually impossible to catch. It's a thrill to watch him return kicks, although I admittedly hold my breath in terms of fumbles.

It's amazing how much better the LBs do when the DEs are setting the edge and Dareus is actually clogging the middle instead of getting taken out. That being said the Bills still need to address LB in the offseason.

As for your Wood comment, he's also the one who recovered Freddie's fumble at the end of the game last week when Jackson got KO'd. The guy hustles downfield and is always looking to take on another defender which has put him in position to recover 2 fumbles in back to back weeks.

I'm not sure how wise it is of Fitz to be consistently taking on defenders but it gets me pumped up when I see our QB trying to lay wood on guys then getting in their face afterwards.

You're right, but thankfully the Bills don't play any good QBs the rest of the way unless you count Luck.

Because we run block in angles and we create holes by walling off defenders instead of driving them. We practice more the former than the later, IMO.

My complaints about the draft is that the way we have drafted, year after year, has not produced wins. But this probably belongs in another thread.

There are many reasons why the Bills are a bottom basement organization and a consistently losing franchise. For sure drafting players that work out itsn't the problem for its historical failures. If the GM drafts a player at a high draft position and that player turns out to be good, then that is a positive, no matter what position that player plays. If the particular player develops into being a playmaker and the best player on the team then that is a successful transaction, no matter what the position the player plays.

My basic point in the prior posting is that there is a developmental process that most young players go through. Very few players are instant successes in this very challenging field of endeavor. You have voiced a tremendous amount of skepticism and impatience with a couple of Nix's first round picks. One has developed into being the best player on the team; and the current first round pick, a CB, in my eyes, is going to be a quality player for us. As I noted in the prior post Claiborne, a highly touted prospect is having his rookie struggles, and at this very early stage is being outperformed by our rookie CB.

Nix, in general, is taking the approach of drafting according to the ranking on his draft board. That is the right approach to take. He did it with the Spiller pick and he did it with the Gilmore pick. In the long run that is the right approach to take.

Kudos on using the spelling that Leodis would have used :P

My sentiments exactly...CJ is your best weapon and you continuously take him off the field in the red zone. Look, I'm not angry, because we won the game. However, this could lose us the game in the future. Keep the best play maker on the field ESPECIALLY when you're inside the 20.

The NFL is all about deception. Throw from your run sets and vice-versa. I'd like Chan to be more creative on 3rd and short....but maybe he has been and the problem is all execution.

In regards to point #10:

This call drove me mental. I am still considering making it a separate thread. WHY HAVE NO ONE IN THE BACKFIELD?

Going further, if I remember the play right, they split Spiller out to the left and had only one WR to the right. This essentially is a double tight end formation. What most playbooks call a "big" or "goal line" formation. I understand it is a 3rd and 1, but the big formation does NOTHING if you can't run it down their throat.

Gailey can be such a BUM at times.

In regards to point #10:

This call drove me mental. I am still considering making it a separate thread. WHY HAVE NO ONE IN THE BACKFIELD?

Going further, if I remember the play right, they split Spiller out to the left and had only one WR to the right. This essentially is a double tight end formation. What most playbooks call a "big" or "goal line" formation. I understand it is a 3rd and 1, but the big formation does NOTHING if you can't run it down their throat.

I take it back.... there is already a thread about this.

Joe-the-Sixpack, Spiller's rushing was far from pedestrian. He was averaging 5 yards a carry until the 4th quarter. His average ypc decreased after some clock-eating runs, but prior to that he was ripping off 5-, 7-, and 10-yard runs. He was dynamic all night long.

I liked the offensive and defensive performances. The play calling, as always, was flat out stupid at times. 3rd and a short 1 inside Miami's 30 and you throw from an empty backfield? C'mon, Chan, put your thinking cap on!

This is the #1 problem - Chan thinks too much and calls the bizarre instead of what will work with the talent we have, i.e., a goal line slant/in to a 6'7" TE.....duh

In regards to point #10:

I take it back.... there is already a thread about this.

AT the time I remember thinking that maybe the call was going to be a QB draw or a bootleg.

That empty backfield on the 3rd and 1 was ridiculously stupid and reckless.

I don't think there is a football coach anywhere else in the United States that would do that.

My guess is that Chan is out-coaching himself. It looks like he's trying to make the defense think too much, when in fact, he's hurting the offense by putting in Choice and/or emptying the backfield on 3rd & 1. Maybe he does know that Spiller isn't exactly Earl Campbell out there, but at least put him in the field as an option. If you don't have your best player on the field at that point, then what's the point?

Chan knows we can’t line up in the big formation and just pound it for that yard, even with Fred. He did try a few times and we got stuffed…although one was due to a missed block by Cory Mac. On 3rd and 1 last week, we ran it out of the shotgun. He knew it last season too which is why I believe we saw a lot of Brad Smith in the wildcat…speaking of, BS was fairly good at picking up those 1st downs so why was Choice running it last night? To make it worse, on the 3rd and 1 last night Stevie was wide open but Fitz decided to go deep to Jones, who I’ve yet to see actually go up and get a ball. I’ve seen Fitz do that a few times recently. With how bad his deep ball is, he should be taking those shots on 1st down, not 3rd and short.

Edited by cnico