Mario Williams considering wrist surgery (now confirmed)

buffalo1983

Can't say I'm surprised at the lack of concern, but does no one really think that playing one handed could possibly explain the lack of production?

No. Not at that position. It's not like he has to carry the ball. Players at positions like his have had their entire hands wrapped up and still been productive.

Does it help him? No. But I don't see how it explains his total lack of production either.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't forget Fergy playing the SD playoff game with a very severe ankle injury. He could hardly walk but gutted out 60 minutes.

Not that having a sprained ankle hampered his "rocket like" speed at all...lol...but Ferguson had a rocket arm so that compensated for his lack of speed.

There might be a bit of a mental ailment along with this physical ailment. New team, rough going of it, new town...

i agree. This whole thing is off to a horrendous start. Mario plays poorly and fans with high expectations call him on it (as they should when you're the star making astronomical money). Mario doesn't seem to have the personaity to deal with the very well, so his response seems to be to withdraw and try and play the victim - in doing so he says dumb things like he doesn't listen to what's being said about him and he doesn't care what other people think - that gets fans even more ticked off.

It's hard to shift the downward slide of this thing. What really needs to happen is some sort of restart and some sizable production - then the criticism starts to silence and a guy who doesn't deal well with it doesn't have to deal with it. If the wrist surgery provides that opportunity that's great. Unfortunately, it does look like an excuse at this point. If Mario goes off, has the surgery, comes back thinking he's go a clean slate and still doesn't produce it'll be even worse than before. A lot riding on that surgery.

FWIW, before the wrist injury thing became a big public issue with Mario Williams, Charley Casserly (who drafted Williams with the Texans, if you recall) was critiquing his early season play on the NFLN, and said "it is obvious to me, there is something not right with Mario...one of the strengths of his game is his hand use, and arm strength...its' just not there so far this season". It was right around that time that Mario's rumored wrist injury started to make the rounds.

I know this isn't the same thing (I don't think, we don't really know his injury)..but have you ever suffered from "carpal tunnel" in one of your arms or wrists? I have.

About half the time you feel fine, and then, just out of nowhere, the pain can be pretty intense, and limit the range of things you can do with your arm. And then, it just disappears, until it flares up again. My carpal tends to affect my elbow, but some get it in their wrist...my girlfriend gets carpal flare ups in her wrist...when it flares up, simple things like holding a pen can be a challenge.

Not trying to make excuses for Mario Williams, but I could imagine a wrist injury could affect your perfrormance quite a bit at his position. If, as Casserly says, a big part of Williams game is the use of his arms and hands, and one hand in unusable, or limited that might take a bit of his game away.

You all are too funny. I find it hilarious that people rip on him because he is worried about playing injured. Don't mind life after football and all the studies that are coming out. Please contiune on that these guys should destroy their bodies to complete destruction and then more to make fans happy.

I'm right with Mario on this one. Don't give a *** about what people think.

Sean Lee from the Cowboys plays a game agaisnt the Bills last year with a dislocated wrist and cast

http://www.nfl.com/n...-wrist-vs-bills

Jack Youngblood broken leg

http://www.nfl.com/v...Jack-Youngblood

Emmit Smith seperated shoulder

http://www.dallasnew...rry-cowboys.ece

Ronnie Lott amputates Finger to play

http://askville.amaz...uestId=65558937

...And now all of these guys are complaining that they cant move/walk/sit/live without pain.

FWIW, before the wrist injury thing became a big public issue with Mario Williams, Charley Casserly (who drafted Williams with the Texans, if you recall) was critiquing his early season play on the NFLN, and said "it is obvious to me, there is something not right with Mario...one of the strengths of his game is his hand use, and arm strength...its' just not there so far this season". It was right around that time that Mario's rumored wrist injury started to make the rounds.

I know this isn't the same thing (I don't think, we don't really know his injury)..but have you ever suffered from "carpal tunnel" in one of your arms or wrists? I have.

About half the time you feel fine, and then, just out of nowhere, the pain can be pretty intense, and limit the range of things you can do with your arm. And then, it just disappears, until it flares up again. My carpal tends to affect my elbow, but some get it in their wrist...my girlfriend gets carpal flare ups in her wrist...when it flares up, simple things like holding a pen can be a challenge.

Not trying to make excuses for Mario Williams, but I could imagine a wrist injury could affect your perfrormance quite a bit at his position. If, as Casserly says, a big part of Williams game is the use of his arms and hands, and one hand in unusable, or limited that might take a bit of his game away.

ive posted the casserly evaluation a few times but its been more or less blown off as hes not trying still.

youd think casserly would know his game about as well as anyone, so it holds some weight in my head.

im frustrated too but.....

ive posted the casserly evaluation a few times but its been more or less blown off as hes not trying still.

youd think casserly would know his game about as well as anyone, so it holds some weight in my head.

Loads of fans are blinded by the almighty $. I saw what you posted before and tend to trust what casserly said FWIW.

This thread is overreaction at it's finest.

And the excuses keep coming....did Mario's wrist injury cover up for the terrible LBers? Or the continued blown coverage? Or Fitz's INTs?? No..? ok, then let's just chalk this up to an insignificant burp in the vomit-fest that has been the BILLS performance since Week 1....

bulsht.

complaints about "political correctness" are just code for "i don't want to exercise respect for ________ and you can't make me."

i see that on this thread it's gays. next time it could be women, ethnic minorities, immigrants, foreigners, the disabled....i've pretty much seen it all here in 12 years.

i would like to seethe TBD bigots voice their prejudice to Gareth Thomas, who was/is a complete badass in a sport just as bloddy and brutal as football, and more of a man than most here will ever be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4puufANYz8

Edited by Beerball

Depending on severity and treatment method we are looking at up to 3 months (10-12 weeks).

If Buffalo addressed this in the preseason Mario would be coming back right about now.

http://ericksonhandsurgery.com/patient_information/sl_ligament_tear

The fact that Buffalo was fined for nondisclosure shows the level with which they attempted to conceal his injury.

I have to admit that I have been disappointed with his production (pass rushing) compared to how much of an impact I thought that he would have.

I also have to admit that it is "humorous" to read some of the snarky comments coming from the keyboard jockeys on this board.

As I mention above, the disappointment with Mario's play is the limited impact he has had pressuring the QB. I have no idea how much his wrist is hurting him, but that is exactly the kind of thing that would affect that part of his game.

I hope that this is the case (the wrist is the reason). I would hate to see all of the money that we have invested in him (and Anderson for that matter) be wasted.

In any event, notwithstanding the internet tough guys on this board, an injury to his wrist could be a logical reason for why his pass rushing has not been what we thought it would be.

Just my two cents.

Whatever gets him off the field at this point.

LOL

Maybe as with the Texans, the team will improve with him on IR.

WTF is the actual injury?!?

Ego mania.

Ironically, Mario is nearly on pace for his 16-game-average season sack-total of 10 sacks. That's just over a half-sack per game, almost what he has. He's on pace to meet or beat his sack total from three of his prior 6 seasons.

Since his production seems to be primarily measured in sacks, perhaps there should have been more discussion with the media, both national as well as regional, at large, as well as among Bills fans, as to that fact before everyone thought he was going to come here and do things he's never done before.

Edited by TaskersGhost

Some of the comments in this thread embarrass me to be a fellow Bills fan. Calling for the guy to get out of the city after 7 games with a wrist injury? Some people apparently have a vendetta against the man for some unknown reason.

You know what embarrasses me as a Bills fan? Having my favorite team's defense give up 1200 yards and 90+ points in TWO GAMES. You cannot honestly not know the reason for the animosity toward Mario Williams. He hasn't played hard since he's gotten here. And it's not his entire leg that hurts. It's not his back. His Goddamn wrist hurts. His wrist!!!! We're not asking him to handwrite the playbook 53 times for everyone on the roster. We're asking him to do his job and get to the friggin' QB. He has not done it. He has gotten owned by everyone who has lined up across from him.

The wrist injury doesn't add up: His wrist must have hurt against the Jets (and the practice squad guy he faced all day), then got better for the KC and CLE games. Then hurt again against the Pats and 49ers, but was good for the AZ game. I suppose it was re-aggravated against TEN.

Do you see the pattern yet? He performs well against the worst teams in football and disappears against everyone else.

That is not indicative of a bad wrist. No matter what the team doctor or Buddy Nix end up telling you.

So far, the guy is a fraud.

My two cents.

You know what embarrasses me as a Bills fan? Having my favorite team's defense give up 1200 yards and 90+ points in TWO GAMES. You cannot honestly not know the reason for the animosity toward Mario Williams. He hasn't played hard since he's gotten here. And it's not his entire leg that hurts. It's not his back. His Goddamn wrist hurts. His wrist!!!! We're not asking him to handwrite the playbook 53 times for everyone on the roster. We're asking him to do his job and get to the friggin' QB. He has not done it. He has gotten owned by everyone who has lined up across from him.

The wrist injury doesn't add up: His wrist must have hurt against the Jets (and the practice squad guy he faced all day), then got better for the KC and CLE games. Then hurt again against the Pats and 49ers, but was good for the AZ game. I suppose it was re-aggravated against TEN.

Do you see the pattern yet? He performs well against the worst teams in football and disappears against everyone else.

That is not indicative of a bad wrist. No matter what the team doctor or Buddy Nix end up telling you.

My two cents.

hes said publicly it was the last preseason game that it was hurt.

whats interesting is you think he plays poorly against good teams, even if they have bad lines (see NE). not sure why that would be so connected, unless good teams do better in blocking help.

the guy is injured.....i see no reason to doubt him.....

at some point, it is going to require surgery to fix it......

none of us know the recovery time but i would assume, if he is considering doing it during the bye week, it will be short.

based on his play (mostly ineffective), i suggest he do the surgery immediately.

i have every confidence, when healthy, he will be a very productive player.

My two cents.

and yet, even with a bum wrist, production-wise he's the best DE on the Bills.

Why not get on Anderson or Kelsay? Anderson that "num/fraud" is crying about his knee.

Edited by Wayne Cubed

and yet, even with a bum wrist, production-wise he's the best DE on the Bills.

Why not get on Anderson or Kelsay? Anderson that "num/fraud" is crying about his knee.

really im surprised anderson has gotten a free pass. he was the contract that worried me more, as he doesnt have the extended track record of production.

My two cents.

So what I got from this is that Mario is using a wrist injury as an excuse and faking it (costing the Bills a $20,000 penalty for not being on the injury report) but going so far as to put a cast on his wrist for every game. Obviously we have to agree to disagree, but at least I don't have my tin foil hat on.

i think he is actually injured. the surgery will not help him immediately. the thing is you watch his form in previous years and notice how his arm movement is key. he doesn't use his swim move effectively this season. sure against scrubs the guy can switch up his technique or just use pure speed. however that's worthless against a semi competent player. even on the few plays where he has switched sides on the line he is unable to make the kind of moves that he had previously made. just compare the game footage its pretty easy to see. the thing is he is on track to having a 10 sack season. which would be pretty good. the defensive game plan however he can't do a thing about.

i think he is actually injured. the surgery will not help him immediately. the thing is you watch his form in previous years and notice how his arm movement is key. he doesn't use his swim move effectively this season. sure against scrubs the guy can switch up his technique or just use pure speed. however that's worthless against a semi competent player. even on the few plays where he has switched sides on the line he is unable to make the kind of moves that he had previously made. just compare the game footage its pretty easy to see. the thing is he is on track to having a 10 sack season. which would be pretty good. the defensive game plan however he can't do a thing about.

Exactly my thoughts as well. I cannot fathom how Mario of all people is becoming the scapegoat of the defense.

This. As earlier posted, torn ligaments or severe tendinitis would be hell to play with and Beverly limit a DEs repertoire. It would be all bull rush all the time. Fact is we don't know and they ain't saying.

I read thru all that before somebody even had the same question as me!

Mario 51 sacks on grass in 68 career games - .75 sacks per game.

6 sacks in 19 career games on artificial turf - .32 sacks per game.

This year 4 games on turf 0 sacks. 3 game on grass 3.5 sacks.

Could it be Mario is just better on grass? Judging by his career sacks I'd say yes!

Robert Mathis & Dwight Freeney are classic examples of ideal turf edge rushers - fast, bendable, short 6'1 low center of gravity.

Mario is the classic combo end not quite as good as Julius Peppers but similar in size and sack method, power and hands.

Julius Peppers if you run his numbers has been better on grass than turf as well, but only marginally. 116 games on grass 80 sacks - .69 sacks per game. 39 games on turf 23.5 sacks - .60.

If Mario put up .09 less sacks per game on turf like Peppers he'd have 12.5 career sacks vs 6 or double the sacks he has now on turf.

The Ralph's playing surface should be converted to grass to give Mario the best chance for success. It is the difference of .75 sacks per game or .32 sacks per game.

Mario 51 sacks on grass in 68 career games - .75 sacks per game.

6 sacks in 19 career games on artificial turf - .32 sacks per game.

This year 4 games on turf 0 sacks. 3 game on grass 3.5 sacks.

Could it be Mario is just better on grass? Judging by his career sacks I'd say yes!

Robert Mathis & Dwight Freeney are classic examples of ideal turf edge rushers - fast, bendable, short 6'1 low center of gravity.

Mario is the classic combo end not quite as good as Julius Peppers but similar in size and sack method, power and hands.

Julius Peppers if you run his numbers has been better on grass than turf as well, but only marginally. 116 games on grass 80 sacks - .69 sacks per game. 39 games on turf 23.5 sacks - .60.

If Mario put up .09 less sacks per game on turf like Peppers he'd have 12.5 career sacks vs 6 or double the sacks he has now on turf.

The Ralph's playing surface should be converted to grass to give Mario the best chance for success. It is the difference of .75 sacks per game or .32 sacks per game.

I call B.S. on this post.

an above average player (which Mario is) is good on any surface.

If Mario is hurt then get the damn fix and come back healthy and play like you should play.

I tired of excuses.

I call B.S. on this post.

an above average player (which Mario is) is good on any surface.

If Mario is hurt then get the damn fix and come back healthy and play like you should play.

I tired of excuses.

Well, it could be some factor but I'd guess the common thread there is home vs road on all 4 players.

The entire Bills D should have surgery.

Get it repaired now. The season is lost.

The next three games are next-to-unwinable.

Chan will be fired no later than 12/31/12 unless he can pull kick a miracle out of his player's azzes.

While I agree with some of this, I still highly doubt they fire Chan. I know my avatar makes me look like a big Gailey apologist, when in reality i just thought it was funny when I chose it.

I don't disagree that the coaching has been bad, because it has been bad (IMO). The only problem is, I remember looking for a coach before and nobody was even interested. This organization had to take Chan as the next best thing in the first place. So if they fire Chan in December, who exactly do they think is going to come in here and want to take over?? If somebody goes, it will be Wanny. Just my opinion though...

procedure is done....he had it....per bills text

the guy is injured.....i see no reason to doubt him.....

at some point, it is going to require surgery to fix it......

none of us know the recovery time but i would assume, if he is considering doing it during the bye week, it will be short.

based on his play (mostly ineffective), i suggest he do the surgery immediately.

i have every confidence, when healthy, he will be a very productive player.

per bills text...

bills de mario williams had a procedure to relieve discomfort in his wrist. he is expected back to practice next week, head coach chan gailey announced today.

procedure is done....he had it....per bills text

per bills text...

bills de mario williams had a procedure to relieve discomfort in his wrist. he is expected back to practice next week, head coach chan gailey announced today.

man - he must really be committed to this fake wrist injury story. changes his hand work on the field, has surgery in the bye week.... obviously too much time and money if hes coming up with schemes like this. he should focus on football and practice and stuff.

man - he must really be committed to this fake wrist injury story. changes his hand work on the field, has surgery in the bye week.... obviously too much time and money if hes coming up with schemes like this. he should focus on football and practice and stuff.

carpal tunnel ??......The carpal tunnel is a narrow passageway of ligament and bones at the base of your hand. It contains nerve and tendons. Sometimes, thickening from irritated tendons or other swelling narrows the tunnel and causes the nerve to be compressed. Symptoms usually start gradually. As they worsen, grasping objects can become difficult. tingling or numbness you've had for some time in your hand and wrist. Suddenly, a sharp, piercing pain shoots through the wrist and up your arm.

repetitive motion injury going back to puberty ?

Edited by papazoid