A Few Thoughts About The Game, in no particular order.....

The talent is there except for 2 key areas. QB first and foremost and then LB.

The coaches seem old and in over their head. Gailey looks confused on the sideline scratching his board and mumbling into the headset. Wanny is out of touch with the game and he too looks lost.

IF the Bills had good coaches who were inovative and motivaters i really wonder what would be the outcome for this team.

Watching Rogers get toasted in the fourth quarter was crazy. Kid does not look good at all. And to have him in there with out help in the fourth down play was silly. IF i knew Tenn was going to target him, why couldn't the D staff for Buffalo.

This game falls squarely on coaches.

They cut Morreman, Potter may be able to kick the ball a mile- but havent seen him do it in a clutch situation. 21 yd punt yesterday? Really? Come on!!

The Bills needed that game so bad. Hate to say it, but no playoffs again and the Bills have not played half the season, sad!

I will keep watching and hoping, but i know the truth at least so it will not hurt as much as yesterdays loss did.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When the Texans let Mario Williams go they drafted J.J. Watt who is immensely playing better. Mario Wlliams is very talented. But he is hurt. He is playing with one hand so he is very handicapped as to what he can do.

You can throw out a bunch of names and try to convince me how good this unit should be but you are missing the point. It is not about names it is about how the defensive unit plays together. If there are weaknesses on the unit it is going to be exploited. Our DL is getting shredded. Dareus is in a funk. Kelsay has some limitations. Williams is ineffective because he is hurt. Our LBing corps is below average. Our defensive backfield constantly gives up big plays. I can go on and on.

Is the defensive staff the primary reason for this team's dramatic fall off the cliff? Without a doubt it is part of the problem. But the real problem revolves around the talent. The NFL is a big boy league. It is unmerciful for the weak. If you have vulnerabilities, as we do, it is going to be explointed over and over again. Having our defense getting shredded was not a unique expeience. It has happened at the same absurd level for a number of games. Looking for non obvious answers is a way of not facing the truth: Its about the talent.

The real problem revolves around how the talent is being utilized. As Bill pointed out, they dropped Kyle into coverage on 3rd and long. Our coaching staff is continually putting our players in bad positions to make bad plays. You said it yourself, its about how the defensive unit plays together, that's all on coaching. Its the coaches job to get these guys to play together as a unit. Period.

To sit here and say we can't win because we don't have enough talent is to misunderstand the game completely. Every team has a few weaker players, but the good teams find ways to minimize their impact and maximize their potential. For proof, just look at the laundry list of bad players that have left the Bills only to be solid contributers on other teams.

If you're in NYC or FL or CA, etc, then you're not feeling these losses like we do up here in CNY/WNY. Was the Bills game even on broadcast television in NYC? It was here in Syracuse - it always is!

OK I'll take the bait.

I will admit- I am in Denver and after that game, I stared blankly for ten minutes and then said, f*@&t it, I'm not gonna wallow in this one all day, I'm going for a hike. So, five beers deep mind you, I headed up to beautiful Evergreen, CO for a two-hour hike and by the time it was done, I had flushed the misery out of my system. I would agree that if you are actually in Buffalo, you are forced to deal with it a little harder. In fact, after miserable Bills losses like that one, one of my buddies out here always says, "these are the days you're glad you're not in Buffalo."

All that being said, my analysis is just as sound as someone in Syracuse's. It's preposterous to say otherwise.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Bill has been posting on this board for like 15 years. He is friends with many of the longtimers here. I'd refrain from criticizing his opinion.

Whoa!!! I like dialogue, and welcome differing views. I don't even care if this poster disregards my views based on where I live. Do you seriously think this bothers me? What would give you this impression? Did I seem upset in my response to him?

I have no idea why you would warn someone against criticizing my views. Are you suggesting that I try to get people banned? I don't have the power you seem to imply that I do, and absolutely have no interest in this, or any other poster being banned. Things like this are up to SDS and the mods, and they will absolutely not be getting a complaint from me.

If you're in NYC or FL or CA, etc, then you're not feeling these losses like we do up here in CNY/WNY. Was the Bills game even on broadcast television in NYC? It was here in Syracuse - it always is!

I agree. I find that the closer I am to Buffalo, the worse I feel. So yesterday, I went into another room in my house that was geographically further away from the stadium and instantly felt better.

The real problem revolves around how the talent is being utilized. As Bill pointed out, they dropped Kyle into coverage on 3rd and long. Our coaching staff is continually putting our players in bad positions to make bad plays. You said it yourself, its about how the defensive unit plays together, that's all on coaching. Its the coaches job to get these guys to play together as a unit. Period.

To sit here and say we can't win because we don't have enough talent is to misunderstand the game completely. Every team has a few weaker players, but the good teams find ways to minimize their impact and maximize their potential. For proof, just look at the laundry list of bad players that have left the Bills only to be solid contributers on other teams.

When the Bills played the Pats they got pummeled. It was embarrasing.

When the Bills played the Jets they got pummeled. It was embarrassing.

When the Bills played the 49ers they got pummeled. It was embarrasing.

When the Bills played the Titans, a second tier team, our defense got pummeled. It was embarrassing.

Our wins were eked out against lower tiered teams.

Making an argument that the Bills have some talent is not making a persuasive argument at all. All teams have some talent. I'm not arguing against such an obvious fact. The system is designed for parity. Yet, the Bills keep getting pummeled, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It's not about schemes. It is about the overall talent level. We simply are inadequate on the defensive side of the ball.

I say to you what I say to NYC Bill: Trust your eyes. The story is being told and you are afraid to acknowledge it. Just because something is ugly doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

Edited by JohnC

Thank you for the posts. I have enjoyed reading them for years (I was a lurker for about three years before I signed up.)

However, regarding point 7, Gailey as a good OC, I have to disagree. His play calling is a big problem. Was anyone surprised with an interception on a long, low percentage sideline throw to a covered receiver on third and short? They never learn. That play has resulted in many interceptions, and can be blamed for costing the team at least a few games over the past two or three years. He tries to get cute too many times, and doesn't seem to learn that he should stick with what works. The past few games he has finally realized that Fitz is a game manager and the key to success is runs and screens, but that doesn't excuse that play at that point in the game.

+1

I consider Syracuse as the front lines of the Buffalo Bills fan base. My family, friends, neighbors, coworkers are all Bills fans and it's hard losing games like this. We all feel it.

I'm really not interested in the detailed analysis of fans in NYC, ST Louis, Texas or the dark side of the moon. Is your family, friends, neighbors, coworkers Bills fans, too? Likely the answer is NO, so your life after horrible losses like games we had today is:

1. Contained

2. Minimal.

I get that sense reading your posts. You all seem detached.

Make sense?

Did you go to the game? You only live 2 hours away.

Many of us outside of that territory travel to Bills games often. So, in a sense, we are better for the Bills.

We travel to WNY bringing outside money in to the area, when clearly we have disposable income and choose to spend it in WNY. Plus, you're just a big doof.

7) No challenge by Gailey on that clear fumble? People, help me understand how this can be excused. Gailey has no business being a head coach in the NFL. None. And I do like him. He would be a great OC, with a strong head coach to make the important decisions.

Screen shot of fumble:

https://mobile.twitter.com/SalSports/status/260495320616681472/photo/1

Edited by Carey Bender

I have read a great many ignorant posts on this board but yours has got to be in the top ten of ignorant comments all time. Congrats!

When the Bills played the Pats they got pummeled. It was embarrasing.

When the Bills played the Jets they got pummeled. It was embarrassing.

When the Bills played the 49ers they got pummeled. It was embarrasing.

When the Bills played the Titans, a second tier team, our defense got pummeled. It was embarrassing.

Our wins were eked out against lower tiered teams.

Making an argument that the Bills have some talent is not making a persuasive argument at all. All teams have some talent. I'm not arguing against such an obvious fact. The system is designed for parity. Yet, the Bills keep getting pummeled, especially on the defensive side of the ball. It's not about schemes. It is about the overall talent level. We simply are inadequate on the defensive side of the ball.

I say to you what I say to NYC Bill: Trust your eyes. The story is being told and you are afraid to acknowledge it. Just because something is ugly doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

So you're suggested that Williams, Dareus, Williams, Anderson ( when he was healthy), Glimore, Byrd, Barnett, and Wilson would not be starters on other teams?

You have the same argument that we've heard for years... player so and so sucks cut him. Well, look a round the league there's former Bills' players all over that are playing well and contributing to their team winning. Last year Mario had 5 sacks in 5 games before being injured. This year with our coaching he's got 2.5. Anderson had a 10 sack year, a year later what's he got?

You're absolutely right, its playing out on the field each week for all to see. The Bills are a poorly coached team defensively and they are getting abused because of it.

So you're suggested that Williams, Dareus, Williams, Anderson ( when he was healthy), Glimore, Byrd, Barnett, and Wilson would not be starters on other teams?

You are making up an argument that I didn't say. Go back and re-read my comments. What you are claiming I said is non-existent.

You have the same argument that we've heard for years... player so and so sucks cut him. Well, look a round the league there's former Bills' players all over that are playing well and contributing to their team winning. Last year Mario had 5 sacks in 5 games before being injured. This year with our coaching he's got 2.5. Anderson had a 10 sack year, a year later what's he got?

You are making my point without even realizing that you are doing so. A solid player on a good team is a more proficient player because he is playing with a stronger unit. Whitner is an example of that. You can even say that Maybin falls in the same category. There is no doubt that Anderson (before he got hurt) was a better player with the Pats than he was with the Bills because he played with an overall better defensive team.

You're absolutely right, its playing out on the field each week for all to see. The Bills are a poorly coached team defensively and they are getting abused because of it.

Again you are distorting what I have already stated. No one is claiming that our coaching staff is of an elite status. That isn't going to happen with a Ralph Wilson owned organization. Regardless of the failings of the coaching staff the heart of the problem for what is currently one of the worst defenses in the league is more attributable to the roster makeup than to the makeup of the coaching staff.

I'll repeat what I have said to Bill from NYC and you: Trust your eyes. The unit in general is being manhandled. It is ugly. The performances are due to the players playing the game, not the coaches who are scheming the unit. Attempting to single out particular plays or defensive calls is futile. In general our defense is being overwhelmed.

Sorry!

But the opinion of someone in New York City doesn't matter to me!

Buffalo/Southern ONT/Rochester/Syracuse/Jamestown. If you're a Bills fan from these areas they your opinion counts because you're in the Bills biggest fan base/regional area.

You are an idiot..... What if you are originally from one of those areas and now live in, say the suburbs of Kansas City, MO, and have season tickets to Bills games and drop another couple hundy on the sunday ticket to watch games? So my opinion doesn't matter you friggin jack wad? We may not all agree with one another but if we are true fans our opinions count. That truly is the stupidest thing I have read here.

Nothing new in the loss:

- HC who makes brain farts especially at crunch time

- QB without an NFL caliber arm leads to a limited offense and costly picks

- absolutely no presence from the linebackers - that Middle unit of the defense reminds me of a sandwich with just 2 slices of bread; nothing in the middle

And the underlying reasons:

- HC that at best should be an OC

- highly parochial, borderline incestuous, personnel and coaching decisions

With this combination and their history of disappointment, how fans keep setting their expectations high and dismissing any opponent - like many were doing with Titans - escapes me

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Whoa!!! I like dialogue, and welcome differing views. I don't even care if this poster disregards my views based on where I live. Do you seriously think this bothers me? What would give you this impression? Did I seem upset in my response to him?

I have no idea why you would warn someone against criticizing my views. Are you suggesting that I try to get people banned? I don't have the power you seem to imply that I do, and absolutely have no interest in this, or any other poster being banned. Things like this are up to SDS and the mods, and they will absolutely not be getting a complaint from me.

Boy, I am glad that you set him straight, I was about to chime in to let everyone know, that this is a chat site, where people

offer different takes on their evaluations of games, players, coaches, etc..and as long as it doesn't get too personal, I would think

that all dialouges are ok, even welcomed. People need to shed the thick skin on this site, and I really do not belive that people will

worry to much about being banned from posting on and NFL teams website. I love this site, and am on it daily, if not hourly, reading

way more than posting, but if somehow i suddenly lost access to it, I don't think that I would be headed to the woodshed. I really belive

that people on here rever this site way too much, as if it is the holy grail or something, it is a chat room website, let's not lose perspective

here.

Sorry!

Buffalo/Southern ONT/Rochester/Syracuse/Jamestown. If you're a Bills fan from these areas they your opinion counts because you're in the Bills biggest fan base/regional area.

Sorry!

I disagree with this comment for several reason, but I can understand the frustation as well.

Bill from NYC is surrounded by fans of the Giants, Jets, Patriots, Eagles and Ravens, just to name teams that are closer in proximity than Buffalo. All of those teams have enjoyed playoff seasons in recent years. To go out with a Bills hat or jacket on would make you an easy target for hecklers. So kudos for Bill from NYC for keeping his fanhood alive in an area that would offer many temptations to jump ship and root for some other team. :beer:

However, I must also state that since I live near Utica, which should be Bills territory, I can understand that a Bills loss leaves you open for abuse, especially by the Giants bandwagon fans. A good day is when the Bills win and the Giants lose, but that doesn't happen too often. At work, people don't greet my by saying "Hi" but instead they greet my by saying "The Bills Suck." I know that they are just kidding, and many of them actually wish the Bills would win more often, but they enjoy teasing me about my team. My favorite reply from March through October is to say "The Bills are going to win the Superbowl!" and then from November through February, I say "Wait until Next Year!" It's all in good fun, but it gets a little old. Especially after 12 years. In no way do I condone any abuse or personal attacks on this message board (or anywhere else for that matter) but I do understand that people get frustrated knowing that their friends and coworkers are going to start with the heckling every time the Bills lose. I'm sure I'm not the only one.