Shawne merriman is back with the Bills

He was owed $3m for 2012 guaranteed. He will get that either way whether he plays or not. The question is whether he gets the $3m plus the veteran minimum. Does anyone know for sure?

I'm assuming there is some incentive for him to play besides a "next deal". I would bet he just picked up another $500k+ from us.

No, it turned out he wasn't guaranteed that money if they cut him for a non-injury, but rather skill related reason, which is why they cut him in the first place. They saved almost 4 million.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the move for depth purposes on both the line and for the LB corp. To say, it's bush league to resign a player you cut is BS. They needed depth and the guy has been w/ the organization for a couple of years, meaning that he's at least familiar w/ some of the playbook and the staff. That's really important. It's a better move 7-weeks in than finding someone else out there to fill that void who has ZERO history w/ the team. If you're unhappy w/ the signing, so be it, but, you CANNOT convince me that this signing will hurt the team at all.

I'm not rushing to judgement...

Inexplicably resigning players you inexplicably cut two months ago is bush league.

Sounds like you didn't like the reasons given when he was cut, get over it. As for resigning him, what do you mean, inexplicably resigning? We are thin at de and that leaves us thin with regard to pass rushers on the line. He comes in as depth at the de position and can come in on obvious pass rush situations. He knows the personell and schemes. Seems he can hit the ground running as opposed to bringing someone else in to learn the system. By the time a newbie learns the scheme one of the 2 injured de's should be back in the fold. Merriman can contribute right away. As for bush league, I don't get it.

Sounds like you didn't like the reasons given when he was cut, get over it. As for resigning him, what do you mean, inexplicably resigning? We are thin at de and that leaves us thin with regard to pass rushers on the line. He comes in as depth at the de position and can come in on obvious pass rush situations. He knows the personell and schemes. Seems he can hit the ground running as opposed to bringing someone else in to learn the system. By the time a newbie learns the scheme one of the 2 injured de's should be back in the fold. Merriman can contribute right away. As for bush league, I don't get it.

You said bringing in someone else in to learn the system. Other than merriman spending a FEW weeks in training camp

while a NEW system was being installed, what exactly does he know here? He has done squat as a Bill, except collect outrageous checks. I expect the same from him. Nothing. He will be gone when Anderson is back.

Merriman is our Ray Lewis, he inspires the guys around him to step it up and be tough. Not the team that gives up 300 yards passing and 300 yards rushing.

Ray Lewis IS tough. Who, exactly, did Merriman inspire in 2011? In 2010?

This guy had a cup of coffee in Buffalo, that's it. 2 years/5 games/9 tackles/1 sack. In the 5 games he played in last year, the D gave up over 300 yards passing 3 tiems and over 450 total yards 4 times. He has had 5 sacks in the 4 seasons prior to this one.

My guess is that many Bills starters would consider the guy a clown, a blowhard, a roid head who can't contribute. Doubt they need him to motivate them.

The only reason this is an interesting (sadly so) story is the fact that Cleetus and Goober:

signed the guy after a string of significant injuries when SD waived him,

then they re-singed him to an extension while he was on IR his first season here,

put him back on IR in 2012,

cut him when he was healthy for the first time in his Bills career,

resigned him off of his couch the same season

The team was more stout vs the run when he was in there in the preseason, did you watch the games or read the stats?

You are giving even a shred of credibility to what you see in the preseason? :lol: Meet me in a 1/2 hour in the Florida swamps. I have a great offer for you.

Who knows, this could be the wakeup call the guy needed. A few days ago, he thought his NFL career was over. Legitimately. We cut ties with him and nobody was calling. He had a tryout with the 49ers (I think) and that was it.

It may have lit a fire under him. The "Now or Never" type. I didn't think much of this move beyond depth, at first. But listening to both Merriman and Gailey talk in their pressers, it sounds like "Lights Out" is going to play. And I think we could be surprised with what comes of it in his limited reps. Especially if Mario stays hot on the other End spot. He is known for being "streaky", after all :thumbsup: